Sign in to follow this  
psychopigeon

DayZ sells 1.7 million copies

at end of dayz its irrelivant to us.

the project is still to slow even with 40 people working on it,

i see dayz SA as a cash in for all the fun i had on the free mod. so the 20 quid i paid has been for the dayz original mod the SA is quite frankly a joke.

free arma 3 mods doing stuff better than dayz sa with less people and better content.

the funny thing is the game was supposed to be a STANDALONE game but come december mods will be in this game making it exactly the same as the free mod all over again.

so it was just a sales event.

Not necessarily good news. Apparently the game sold a million copies in the first month:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/13/dayz-sold-a-million-copies-in-four-weeks/

Which means that two months later they've sold less than that. At that rate they'll probably hit two million copies some time in late April / early May. Given that there's credible competition it would be interesting to see if they ever reach three million.

As I've said before, the problem with an early adopter discount is that once the hardcore fans have bought the game, you're going to struggle to bring in more revenue.

If I was in charge I would push to get the game to roughly the same level as the mod, then release it as DayZ V1. In late 2014 or so. Just get it finished and done with. Then start work on DayZ V2, which will actually be the final finished DayZ, except that it'll be a separate standalone product for £34.95. That way the fans will have to pay twice. With modern games development the goal is to make the fans pay, and then pay again, so that £14.95 becomes £54.95 and then £129.95 once you factor in add-ons and so forth.

Commercial sponsorship is problematic for a game that involves binding, torturing, and killing other players. That route is probably a non-starter (it's odd that the game includes Tactical Bacon, though - a genuine product). DLC is the obvious choice; look at how the chaps behind The WarZ have managed to stay afloat despite putting out a shoddy load of rubbish. You want bullets, you pay £9.95 for bullets. Given that DayZ revolves around hunting for rare firearms and collecting military kit a DLC-led revenue stream is a no-brainer. Jesus, at which point did I turn into a marketing robot? Kill me now.

Yeah that was one thing that confused me. I was expecting beta to start maybe Q4 this year but now they're "finished" Q1 2015. I bet that there will be many patches after the "finished" status just like in Arma games. This engine could be used on something else than DayZ. I was more scared than happy when I heard that but I still trust that the game will develop even when it's finished. 

Well said. My thoughts exactly about, well, all of it. I'm just wondering what their idea of "finished" is.