Grimey Rick

EDITED: Are you happy with CURRENT zombie implementation?

195 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the current implementation of zombies?

• Yes.
    • No.

ignore the horde of people who come to this thread,read that you enjoy pvp,skip the rest of the post and start trolling around with zeds being awesome the way they are now and that you should fuck yourself for camping and shit, not worth your time replying.
I have to agree with you, I really want zombies to be a big part of this game and to be an actual threat but new respawning system is just ridicolous. You cant plan beforehand the number of zeds in one place, the safe you will be on that hill or any kind of shit,they just respawn 5 meters from you only to aggro you instantly and start hitting you. Even that wouldnt be a problem to me if fighting zeds were on a polished state but right now they are laggy as fuck,you have to get your melee which is atm also a crappy mechanic,guess where the zombie will be next sec and kill, only to find that he respawns right at you. You dont even risk getting hit since you can always strafe around 2-3 zombies and they are just unable to scratch you.
IMO the problem shouldnt be made worse by making more zombies,but by making the fight with zeds as a whole more polished, better animations for switching weapons, more accurate aim for zombies that can maybe grab you, smooth pathing etc. etc. That would increase threat of zombies and make them less an annoyance and more a fight with a fucking walking corpse whos trying to eat your guts.

• Like 1

ignore the horde of people who come to this thread,read that you enjoy pvp,skip the rest of the post and start trolling around with zeds being awesome the way they are now and that you should fuck yourself for camping and shit, not worth your time replying.

I have to agree with you, I really want zombies to be a big part of this game and to be an actual threat but new respawning system is just ridicolous. You cant plan beforehand the number of zeds in one place, the safe you will be on that hill or any kind of shit,they just respawn 5 meters from you only to aggro you instantly and start hitting you. Even that wouldnt be a problem to me if fighting zeds were on a polished state but right now they are laggy as fuck,you have to get your melee which is atm also a crappy mechanic,guess where the zombie will be next sec and kill, only to find that he respawns right at you. You dont even risk getting hit since you can always strafe around 2-3 zombies and they are just unable to scratch you.

IMO the problem shouldnt be made worse by making more zombies,but by making the fight with zeds as a whole more polished, better animations for switching weapons, more accurate aim for zombies that can maybe grab you, smooth pathing etc. etc. That would increase threat of zombies and make them less an annoyance and more a fight with a fucking walking corpse whos trying to eat your guts.

you are basicly complaining that the alpha build is not polished enough.

NO SHIT?!

You cant plan beforehand the number of zeds in one place,

You don't need to know exact numbers, you just need to know that more may show up the more you shoot.

the safe you will be on that hill or any kind of shit,they just respawn 5 meters from you only to aggro you instantly and start hitting you.

Its fairly simple to tell where they will and won't spawn: Cities and Towns and Military Installations. They'll spawn there. You know, places with buildings.

And they certainly don't spawn 5 meters from you. They spawn something like 50 - 150 meters from you, and move quickly. They do spawn aggro'd instantly, that's the point.

Even that wouldnt be a problem to me if fighting zeds were on a polished state but right now they are laggy as fuck,you have to get your melee which is atm also a crappy mechanic,guess where the zombie will be next sec and kill, only to find that he respawns right at you. You dont even risk getting hit since you can always strafe around 2-3 zombies and they are just unable to scratch you.

So if I understand this correctly, you just said "fighting zombies is difficult because they are laggy, it's stupid that you have to use melee weapons, fighting zombies with melee weapons is too easy."

My response to that is: Play on a server you ping to better. At under 100 ping, all I have to worry about is the time it actually takes my guy to physically swing his axe.

All of these things are being worked on.

The current zombies can not be avoided by stealth, which is the main issue I have with them.

I also hate the fact that zombies magically spawn each time you kill one with a gun. No. Spawn zombies around towns and areas, and have them attracted to gunfire, instead of making them magically bloop out of the sky and come for you for each zombie you shoot. This is just plain stupid.

• Like 3

As I said man, change the title, people will think you actually want to get rid of zombies, since some people don't know how to read long texts.

And why do people still think that he just wants to camp? What if he actually wants to do a Clan War? Big fights on DayZ are awesome IMO

• Like 1

As I've stated at least three times, me and my crew enjoy organized PVP against other clans/teams.

I think this makes your argument flawed. This is not a game about clan pvp deatmatch.

• Like 3

All I get out of this thread is a bunch of complaints about Zombies interfering in your PvP Deathmatch battle against other Clans, am I right?

Like omg, Zombies actually being a factor in a Post-Apoc Zombie Survival game, yeah the AI/Pathing sucks, but this is Alpha and expecting them to work flawlessly this early in the game if foolish.

Maybe instead of going to Elektro to see who has the bigger Pew-Pew, you can have some interesting interactions with players, besides you bullet interacting with their skull/body???

Now I'm not saying PvP is a bad thing, heck I enjoy firefights as much as the next guy/gal but to make yet another "Boo-hoo Zombie" thread addressing the same things over and over, and complaining that they screw up your PvP matches is stupid, if you want that, go play CoD/BF or other similar FPS.

• Like 1

The only problem I have with the zombies at the moment besides the obvious wall glitches is that they will respawn literally right in front of you which totally kills immersion unless they are susposed to teleport in dayz...

I think this makes your argument flawed. This is not a game about clan pvp deatmatch.

It's a big old sandbox.

You can make the game whatever you like.

• Like 2

Zombies shouldn't just spawn out of nowhere, surely people can understand this point. It seems like a really really poor fix for the engine being unable to actually have hordes of zombies. 

l2shoot on the run or attack people with your zombie swarm

sorry to hear you can't camp anymore and have to develop actual skill.

Says it all right there.

what "special" types voted yes to this?

The ones who realize that this is a place holder and don't need to whine and bitch about things that get implemented in an alpha as we know they are subject change

• Like 2

Zombies shouldn't just spawn out of nowhere, surely people can understand this point. It seems like a really really poor fix for the engine being unable to actually have hordes of zombies. 

And in the Patch notes, it stated that this won't be a permanent mechanic for how Zombies appear, I would like to believe that once things are further tested and remedied, that a more solid mechanic for how they appear will be put in place of this current one, and I am no developer or knowledgeable about servers and code, but I would assume we would be in a far worse position if they just added hordes of Zombies into the game directly, I would imagine that would be a huge stresser on the server, and then the game would really be "unplayable".

The ones who realize that this is a place holder and don't need to whine and bitch about things that get implemented in an alpha as we know they are subject change

The ones who didn't read the question then? Got it.

Nobody asked about future implementations, If it's a placeholder has nothing to do with the question that OP asked.

In case you didn't take the time to read it, the question was simply; "Are you satisfied with the CURRENT implementation of zombies?"

Your post implies you're not satisfied with it, but you're holding out for something better. Perhaps you got confused? I mean, it's complicated, there are two possible answers after all. Nobody is judging you.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 2

just some weeks ago they told, that they received help from additional ~25 people,

who are only working on clipping issues, I believe.

So they are working on it. :)

satisifed with the current  situation?

Hell no.

Are they working on it?

Hell Yes

Edited by irishroy

The ones who didn't read the question then? Got it.

Nobody asked about future implementations, If it's a placeholder has nothing to do with the question that OP asked.

In case you didn't take the time to read it, the question was simply; "Are you satisfied with the CURRENT implementation of zombies?"

And the OP opened a bitch/whine rant as he normally does because he can't play his special death match anymore.  And I never take time to read a Grimey Rick rant anymore.  I just come in for the laughs

• Like 2

They just need to fix the zombies, if you dont like the zombies go play Arma 3 '-'

• Like 2

Yep. They literally just hired a 25 person team who have been working together for years making hunting games to do the AI for hunting and Zeds. So basically 1/2 the team is focusing solely on AI.

I am perfectly SATISFIED with how they are now and can wait until then.

• Like 3

And the OP opened a bitch/whine rant as he normally does because he can't play his special death match anymore.  And I never take time to read a Grimey Rick rant anymore.  I just come in for the laughs

Regardless of how the Grimey plays the game, The current implementation is bad and needs fixing, It's as big of a pain in the ass for people playing the game as a proper survival/SHtF simulator as it is for the Cherno deathmatch brigades.

• Like 1

O no, a new change to zombie mechanics before fixing the pathfinding. THE HORROR and DISGUST!!!

No puedo entender lo que piensan una personas.

Its all good tho. I hope they keep it this way until the pathfinding is tweaked and made better. I enjoy the new mechanic, easy ghetto patch or not. Its a changed from the easy mode that was no zombie respawn.

I am all for zombies, and pvp. but the current state of zeds is broken.  I may have bought the wrong game litterally seeing the current state  the development is leaning towards. I played dayz mod and liked the interactions of the pvp. I thought this was going to be the same. (wrong) my bad. If you guys think that pvp is not the way the game should be why not just implement no friendly fire????. definatley not a game for me. I will steal your shit. if i have to kill you for it to survive so be it. that is a game. Work on the zed's clipping and other issues fix that first then implement the faster more aggresive mechanics.

Looks more like 100% rant, unless you're counting your poorly phrased poll question. How could anyone be satisfied with all aspects of zombies right now? They still phase through walls 1/2 the time!

Actually this update is finally the one that got my friends to start playing it again, now that fighting zombies can actually be a challenge.

I'll give you that a bunch of zombies running through walls is pretty dumb, but in my experience this patch has actually helped the pathfinding considerably. I'd say about 40% of the time I actually see zombies pathfind around a wall, then through a door (as opposed to through a wall), then up some stairs to get at me. This is a fantastic improvement over the previous pathfinding, where I'd literally never seen that happen. In that regard, this patch is clearly a step in the right direction.

As for sensible reasons, well you yourself actually outline one of the reasons further on in your post.

This is a survival game set in a world overrun by zombies. Now we actually have zombies responding to their environment, and posing an actual threat for players of all gear levels. As you said, it creates a much better atmosphere for a zombie survival game, having, you know, actual zombies coming after you.

Oh and now that zombies are an actual threat, it creates an entirely new level gameplay in that you actually have to worry about the zombies in the zombie apocalypse. More on that below.

That's a pretty extreme statement. Since the latest patch, between my friends and I we've seen a bit of PVP, and it hasn't been ruined at all. PVP still happens, PVP still requires skill, coordination and some basic tactics.

So ... adapt your tactics? Quit camping and maybe move after you fire? Or maybe fire from a position that zombies can't get to, or don't spawn near? This isn't a detriment to PVP, this is a much needed and sensible addition. Now there is an entirely new level of thinking that has to go on in players minds, as firing a weapon not only possibly reveals your general location to other players, but to the hordes of undead as well!

Sure it would be neat if we had a bunch of corpses lying around that were actually awoken by gunshots, but this is an early alpha, and we can't get everything we want just yet. Zombies spawning out of nowhere, a reasonable distance away from you, at reasonable time intervals seems pretty good for a first implementation of this aggro mechanic. The only way you attract hordes of them is if you act stupid and stand in the same spot and keep shooting everything that moves. The current implementation DOES add this tactical element to PVP encounters right now!

Well shit man, guess you were wrong. If you gotta take a break, you gotta take a break.

TL;DR: Bro, do you even hardcore? Sounds like you're just mad you and you're friends can't just camp inside some 2-story building in elektro and shoot every bambi you see anymore.

Everything you've brought up has been addressed in my other posts since this thread started. The only thing I'm going to comment on is that if anything, people are MORE likely to sit in a two story building in a city now because they can completely avoid zombies whilst shooting other people. Like I've said several times now, I'm all for zombies. Just do them right. Half assing one of the most integral parts of the game (even as an alpha) is just dumb. A team has just been hired to properly implement the zombies; why not just wait until they came up with something tangible that didn't involve them randomly appearing.

If the current zombies were showcased in a film, everyone would be dead as they'd have no way of planning their moves, sneaking around them, or preparing for them. They'd just appear beside them and eat their faces.

• Like 2