Sign in to follow this  
beavis_5000

Overall opinions on the SA so far?

Quick google search reveals this:

All automatic weapons and all handguns are illegal in Russia. Also, guns per 100 citizens in USA = 89; guns per 100 citizens in Russia = 8.9.

I'm not sure about the likely candidate countries for comparison with Chernarus, but it gives you an idea of the general difference.

I think it's more plausible for DayZ's purposes to have a relatively small number of variations in firearms, to reflect the fact that they wouldn't be widely available to civilians, and the police and military would have fairly standardized equipment.

Quick google search reveals this:

All automatic weapons and all handguns are illegal in Russia. Also, guns per 100 citizens in USA = 89; guns per 100 citizens in Russia = 8.9.

I'm not sure about the likely candidate countries for comparison with Chernarus, but it gives you an idea of the general difference.

I think it's more plausible for DayZ's purposes to have a relatively small number of variations in firearms, to reflect the fact that they wouldn't be widely available to civilians, and the police and military would have fairly standardized equipment.

...... no

You're using a country where pistols are illegal to own .... The map is a real place in the Czech Republic. There it is 16.3. That is more than 1.7 million guns. The word Pistol also originated here, they were one of the first places were guns were used on a massive scale in combat, and they have some of the least restrictive gun laws in all of Europe.

Chernarus is also a fictional country not Russia or Czech. They could have 10,000 per 100 people for all you know.

Edited by Weedz

Overall shit and is in a worse state than the mod was at this point in time.

Worst part is how stand alone by far has the worst zombies I have ever seen in any game.

Worst part is how stand alone by far has the worst zombies I have ever seen in any game.

Pffft, what other game has zombies who's AI is so advanced they can vibrate their molecular structure and pass through solid objects as well as being able to run faster than the speed of light like The Flash?

They are on par with the greatest super hero of all time what more do you want?!?!

• Like 2

I agree with you on a few counts Op. I would have liked to see a new map too but truth is people are complaining enough about the current alpha. The time taken to implement a new detailed map could have been way more than we imagined plus at least the current map is a good one. I think players will eventually find that clothes such as fur coats may be your best friend at some stage when the health/sick system is in full swing. Imagine your boots are ruined, your trying to evade someone or something and you character is groaning and moaning loudly, giving away your position plus possibly slow or limping etc. I've never really understood the rotten fruit either, to break morale when your hungry, who knows but probably not real necessary either, unless it does start out pristine and the longer it sits the worse it gets perhaps?

Not sure what the infatuation with guns guns and more guns is, each to their own I guess. They are a part of the game and some variety is exciting and I'm sure given time they will implement other types. Focusing on getting the zombies to follow correct paths and not stray through buildings would be a more positive step forward I think, right now that is.

I think the game will turn out good. Its a bit boring at the moment, but I have loads of other games to play whilst I wait (Project Zomboid is a good replacement for the zombie survival experience if any of you are bored with DayZ).

The only hope I have is that the dev team do not listen too much to the community. Not to bad mouth you guys, but we're so divided on most issues that we'd only ever get a watered down mess if they pander to us all. 

I'm not sure what you really expected at this point in time? Not saying there isn't any truth in your post but I'm gunning for the stage where this standalone develops enough that it totally leaves the mod behind in every respect. I think it already has some great improvements over the mod at present. We just have to hurry up and wait.

Don't bother with it yet.

If you have DayZ mod - stick with it. SA is inferior in every way right now.

If you haven't - try the mod first.

In current state SA is playable if you're a masochist - too many gamebreaking bugs and it's missing the most basic core features.

The future doesn't look great. Since the release we got sume bugs fixed, more added, minor work done about zombies and a bunch of new items and buildings without fixing the existing ones.

• Like 1

Hmm so far a bit disappointed. I hope they can fix most of this, as was "promised" in the latest devblog.

1) They haven't fixed the shitty "animals make zombie noises" or random soda-popping or reloading sounds bug. This makes intent listening for anything useless.

2) The Zombies still run through houses, and are overall still completely effed up.

3) Mechanics are still very clunky. I press the "2" key so my character would whip out his SKS...nothing happens. I press it again. The character jerks around, puts it out, puts it away, puts it out again. In a firefight, prepare to be completely fucked by the controls. Over and over (I now leave my gun in my hand whereever player encounter are likely).

4) The basic survival stuffs still don't work. No animals to hunt, no fireplaces to make. Why not have that in right away? WHy not stick with a simple system for the time being and upgrade it to a new level later? But have the damn feature in!?

5) Weather conditions are in the game now, but have no consequence whatsoever (ok, you cannot make a fire to warm up atm anyway...) and the "soaked" status disapperars with relogging...also, a helmet and raincoat won't do crap for me. wtf?

6) What happened to some features that were promised? Like only limping with a splinted leg?

7) All the buildings can be entered now, but only about 40% of them actually do spawn loot. The klast ujpdate must have ruined the spawntables BADLY!

• Like 1

no. guns should be more rare than they are now. your thread is a fail, sir. go play cod.

Edited by komadose

Why is everybody complaining about a game that is not even remotely finished?

- Lags -> They know, fixed a little bit. Will focus on that later

- bugs -> They know

- Zombies -> Work in progress. Already tried something out.

- Survival -> Work in progress. Damn, I can't wait for the hunting feature.

- Loot -> Spawning will be implemented, also balancing.

- Gameplay -> As soon as there are more features, people will stop playing their shitty deathmatch in Elektro

Instead of whining how crappy this game is, give some constructive feedback the devs can use.

Everyone of the devs IS aware that the game itself is buggy or maybe boring at some point, so what?

All of you have the chance to play the game before is really finished and can do his own effort to make DayZ an outstanding game.

Damn, as a big Mass Effect fan, I wish I would have had this chance for ME3, or now, for ME4. They already have a playable version, but haven't even published ANY DETAIL of the game or even a f*cking screenshot. Do you get my point?

Just my two cents.

Ultimately, I feel that OP is looking for a finished product, which this game is not. Just keep checking in on the progress of the game periodically. If it's guns & more, stronger zombies that you're really looking for, I would say the earliest you would want to buy this game would be maybe a month or so prior to it reaching beta status. Which is expected no sooner than the end of 2014 I believe?

Game engine HW optimization is horrible. I have low hopes that engine will be ALOT better in future.

It has nothing to do the game itself but the engine is garbage in many ways. 

Mod lacked same nowdays standards in engine level only the game looks prettier but the performance is less acceptable.

Based of AMD Hardware testing in many enthusiastic setups.

The game will never be finished and if it is it will not be any good. By the time they finish this game arma 4 will be out along with the dayz mod for that which will blow this one out of the water.

Basically failz.

To be honest, the "idea" of the SA is very cool, as is much of what has already been implemented.  I like being able to enter nearly any building and the ability to coble together whatever character you like from whatever scraps you find.  I also like how (theoretically) there is more interaction with the environment in that your equipment and clothes can wear out or get damaged, you can drink from ponds, collect rainwater, eat berries, can get sick from rotten fruit (which may be better than starving), you get wet (and can presumably eventually get sick)so on and so forth.  Basically just staying alive should be a constant chore if there weren't zombies or psychotic players.

That said, it still feels very much like a work in progress (ergo "alpha").  A lot of stuff from the mod doesn't exist yet - vehicles, tents and other storage, road flares, throwing shit, variety of weapons, hunting and fire building, and of course, zombies.  And there's a lot of stuff they've talked about that was never in the Mod that probably needs to be in the SA to make it a more interesting game (base building, more map, whatever). 

Even the eating and drinking dynamic lacks that sense of urgency you used to have in the Mod where you felt like you really needed to constantly find food soon or die.  Now it feels like once I stuff my face or fill up at the nearest pond, I'm basically set.

So overall, my opinion is that the SA is off to a decent enough start, but still needs a lot of work.

My opinion is that around 6 months from now no progress will have been made and the game will be abandoned without official release.

Hope I'm wrong.

I'm aware it's alpha, but SO MUCH is wrong.

In addition to the things mentioned already in this thread, there's also the fact that stealth does nothing, running or walking up a slight incline is broken, servers will occasionally die and I'll pop back hungry and magically missing the food I just ate, rubber banding is still around (though not as bad as pre-patch I guess), etc. etc.

There is a lot in here, but since the topic of "sweet guns" keep popping up I'll say this. THey are trying to give it a more immersive experience in that you'll find more guns associated with civilians, and military grade weaponary will be harder to come by. Hopefully they'll make ammo harder to come by too.

My friends, PLEASE understand that the gun issue is not my main concern. It is a symptom of my main concern.

I'm saying out of all the things they can be adding to the game right now, why clothing items? It seem slike the least of things they should be worrying about. Hell, guns seems like the least of things they should be worrying about. But at least guns "awesome" looking guns would liven the game up a bit.

If your at a military camp tell me what you would rather find:

A) Rotten Fruit

B)M4

C)Mask

D)Fur Coat

E)SA-58

I don't think there is any question what 99% of people would choose.

Instead they give us simple items like clothing. I get a lazy feel from it like they are just giving us something to make us feel like they are trying.

But like I said, GUNS ARE FAR FROM THE MAIN ISSUE!!!!!!

As far as the whole "Its Alpha" thing, firstly, at 30$ it should be at least a half way finished product. Its not even close to that. Basically you pay $30 to be able to go into the buildings on Cernarus. If that's worth it to you then I respect your opinion.

In my opinion charging $30 for this game in this state is robbery, regardless of Alpha stage. At this point Alpha seems like more of an excuse. $30 dollars for a game that one could easily argue is worse than the mod?

They put this game out as "Alpha" for $30 and they don't even have the zombies straightened out? Yes, things like this really concern me with what is going to happen with this game.

My friends, PLEASE understand that the gun issue is not my main concern. It is a symptom of my main concern.

I'm saying out of all the things they can be adding to the game right now, why clothing items? It seem slike the least of things they should be worrying about. Hell, guns seems like the least of things they should be worrying about. But at least guns "awesome" looking guns would liven the game up a bit.

If your at a military camp tell me what you would rather find:

A) Rotten Fruit

B)M4

C)Mask

D)Fur Coat

E)SA-58

I don't think there is any question what 99% of people would choose.

Instead they give us simple items like clothing. I get a lazy feel from it like they are just giving us something to make us feel like they are trying.

But like I said, GUNS ARE FAR FROM THE MAIN ISSUE!!!!!!

As far as the whole "Its Alpha" thing, firstly, at 30$ it should be at least a half way finished product. Its not even close to that. Basically you pay $30 to be able to go into the buildings on Cernarus. If that's worth it to you then I respect your opinion.

In my opinion charging $30 for this game in this state is robbery, regardless of Alpha stage. At this point Alpha seems like more of an excuse. $30 dollars for a game that one could easily argue is worse than the mod?

They put this game out as "Alpha" for $30 and they don't even have the zombies straightened out? Yes, things like this really concern me with what is going to happen with this game.

I want that Sa-58. Was my favorite weapon in mod along with M14 :(

• Like 1