SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

I agree, that respawning issue is BS. There should be ALOT more zombies. Random groups in field. Sound being a main attractor, vision as secondary. If they surround you, you should be dead and they should be able to climb steps, albeit awkwardly. Doors and fences should keep them out temporarily. If you climb up onto something to evade them they should not leave if they can still see you. 

Ammo should be WAY more rare than it is. WAY more by a HUGE margin. I don't know any military group who would leave good equipment behind. Once they nix the duping hack then we will see more survival, less KOSing. Burning ammo on someone with less than you have will then be a burn of valuable resources for no gain. 

Considering how unrealistically fast people move and the ability to knock someone out who is wearing a military helmet in one punch is also...absurd. There really needs to be a fatigue bar also, making it difficult to cross a large amount of ground than one punch someone unconscious. If someone armed catches someone unarmed out in open with intent to rob or kill them, there should be a clear advantage. I've seen heavily armed people getting knocked out by newbies running around them. 

When I last played, zombies were fast, aggressive and kept respawning. I took a two or three-month break and now the zombies are seldom seen and not much of a threat. Actually, they're more annoying than anything else because you might confuse 'm for a survivor.

They do seem to move more fluently, though ..

Definitely needs moar zombies but so far the zombies themselves are better than they have been before, if a little weak.

Everyone mentions the navigation and path finding of the zombies as being the defining factor in their improvement. 

The main issue with the zombies for me is that they are fucking irritating. All they are really is a disruption to whatever else you are trying to do. They fail at being scary, they fail at being entertaining to kill. In other words they fail as zombies. Whenever I hear them aggro at me, I think "oh for fucks sake". It's been like that since the mod.

Obviously not walking through walls is an improvement, but they are still no where near the standard I'd like to see. I want them to be fun to kill in small numbers, and absolutely brick shittingly exhilarating in large numbers. All they are now is irritating and I really hope that changes. 

their better than the mod because they can hit while running, a key feature, so your not safe just by keeping on the move , also, they can move quickly inside, so again, your not safe by running inside. these two methods made zombies easy in mod, arent in standalone

Just, ruuuuuuuuuun! They'll quit chasing you after awhile.

Edited by Vex_Vehix

[...]also, they can move quickly inside, so again, your not safe by running inside[...]

They can also GET inside very quickly. Through the damn wall...

They can also GET inside very quickly. Through the damn wall...

Lol, yes, they do.  but I am not classing that as an official increased difficulty, it should be patched soon  so that they must come through the doorway

The aggro zombies and the one hit equipment/gear destroyers really do ruin the experience. When your presence is given away by zombie as you approach a town, that sucks.

Or when you finally find a pristine high capacity vest and you get it ruined by a stealth zombie that launches 10 feet towards you AFTER you shoot them.

Hey guys, so when will there be more zombies in dayz? right now theres hardly any, and honestly the game can get pretty boring at times. Obviously I don't want it to be COD Black Ops like, but there needs to be more. right now they are not much of a threat at all. In a real zombie apocalypse, they would obviously be the main threat, not just other survivors. more zombies will encourage teamwork in order to survive, and it wont just be a free-for-all on a giant map like it is now. I understand its not that simple to just add more zombies, but it needs to be done at some point. Any feedback as to when there will be more or general discussion about it can be posted here. Serious posts only. Thanks.

From what I hear Dean will definitely add more zombies when he's sorted the pathing issues and made sure having a large number of Zs won't affect performance too much. I can't wait to return to mod-style zombies where firing a loud gun in the middle of a town would bring at least 30 zombies down on you.

• Like 2

From what I hear Dean will definitely add more zombies when he's sorted the pathing issues and made sure having a large number of Zs won't affect performance too much. I can't wait to return to mod-style zombies where firing a loud gun in the middle of a town would bring at least 30 zombies down on you.

those mod zombies were mean and bad

I liked the way their pathing was terrible so they ran in zigzags behind you, because they ran fast, they were kinda ... frightning

Also having stealth to try to get past zombies was great, this was an important game element. If you were crawling they didn't see you until they were close.

I had many good times with that -either newspawn trying to get into a village house to eat, while zombies wandered by - or crawling to reach a helicopter crash, with 4 or 5 zombie pilots walking around the field, trying to see which way they were turning and which was coming close.

Good stuff. The SA zombies will come up to expectations in time ... then everyone will regret it, heh !

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

those mod zombies were mean and bad

I liked the way their pathing was terrible so they ran in zigzags behind you, because they ran fast, they were kinda ... frightning

Also having stealth to try to get past zombies was great, this was an important game element. If you were crawling they didn't see you until they were close.

I had many good times with that -either newspawn trying to get into a village house to eat, while zombies wandered by - or crawling to reach a helicopter crash, with 4 or 5 zombie pilots walking around the field, trying to see which way they were turning and which was coming close.

Good stuff. The SA zombies will come up to expectations in time ... then everyone will regret it, heh !

That's good to hear they are worrying about performance issues first and not just throwing them in there, I can barely run dayz and med settings as it is :P . Also, I really hope they will make the zombies more like what both of you said, it would make it way more realistic and also add more of a stealth element to the game.

• Like 1

Hey guys, so when will there be more zombies in dayz? right now theres hardly any, and honestly the game can get pretty boring at times. Obviously I don't want it to be COD Black Ops like, but there needs to be more. right now they are not much of a threat at all. In a real zombie apocalypse, they would obviously be the main threat, not just other survivors. more zombies will encourage teamwork in order to survive, and it wont just be a free-for-all on a giant map like it is now. I understand its not that simple to just add more zombies, but it needs to be done at some point. Any feedback as to when there will be more or general discussion about it can be posted here. Serious posts only. Thanks.

I completely agree with you and would love to have some hoards of zombies in the game, but just to be clear zombies will never be the main threat in the game no matter how many they put in and how hard they make them. Human nature will always trump game mechanics so people will always be the main threat in the game...

• Like 1

I completely agree with you and would love to have some hoards of zombies in the game, but just to be clear zombies will never be the main threat in the game no matter how many they put in and how hard they make them. Human nature will always trump game mechanics so people will always be the main threat in the game...

People will always be the BIGGEST threat, they might not be the "main threat". 

If you can't find zombies, head to a town. I was just chased by a group of 9.

I don't want to see more zombies until they fix the issues with the ones they have now.

People will always be the BIGGEST threat, they might not be the "main threat". 

Kinda arguing semantics arent we?

The biiggest threat will usually be the main one in most peoples eyes....

Well, I agree with you, however people will not be the "main threat". I saw the argument about biggest/main so im not gonna go there, but zombies should be more prominent then they are right now. It's a zombie game, not a people game. as you said, people will always be a threat, but the zombie threat needs to be the main priority.

• Like 2

Well, I agree with you, however people will not be the "main threat". I saw the argument about biggest/main so im not gonna go there, but zombies should be more prominent then they are right now. It's a zombie game, not a people game. as you said, people will always be a threat, but the zombie threat needs to be the main priority.

I feel the same way, but has there ever been a NPC in any game that youve played that was more interesting or unpredicatable than a human opponent? Nope. Humans will always be the most interesting part of the game even if they arent neccessarily the main focus...Hopefully the environmental fatcors will even things out a little...

• Like 1

Personally, I don't see a reasonable number of zombies being added in a stable until this game is actually done. Taking on even a small group of zombies, such as 10 or 15 would be insanely difficult with the current poor gun mechanics, poor melee mechanics, poor zombie AI (as everyone knows), and about a million other things.

• Like 1

I feel the same way, but has there ever been a NPC in any game that youve played that was more interesting or unpredicatable than a human opponent? Nope. Humans will always be the most interesting part of the game even if they arent neccessarily the main focus...Hopefully the environmental fatcors will even things out a little...

Yes, your 100% right. human influence will always make the game be a great game or a terrible game. However, that influence doesn't have to be a threat. If the zombies numbers were increased dramatically and actually became a huge threat, the players would start to team up and help each other survive and fight the zombies. Obviously some people would still be bandits, which is a good thing, again making the game more realistic. The environmental factors will also make it more realistic, so that will help too :D

• Like 2

Personally, I don't see a reasonable number of zombies being added in a stable until this game is actually done. Taking on even a small group of zombies, such as 10 or 15 would be insanely difficult with the current poor gun mechanics, poor melee mechanics, poor zombie AI (as everyone knows), and about a million other things.

yes, the weapons mechanics for melee and zombie pathfinding do need to be fixed. I don't have a problem with the guns mechanics though. It would be kind of good if it would be, as you said, "insanely difficult" to kill hordes of zombies, as this will make you want to avoid them, adding more of a stealth element to the game. In a real zombie apocalypse, would you attempt to kill 15 zombies at once, or would you run/hide and try to pick them off a few at a time? This game is meant to be like a real zombie apocalypse, so I say the more realistic the better.

yes, the weapons mechanics for melee and zombie pathfinding do need to be fixed. I don't have a problem with the guns mechanics though. It would be kind of good if it would be, as you said, "insanely difficult" to kill hordes of zombies, as this will make you want to avoid them, adding more of a stealth element to the game. In a real zombie apocalypse, would you attempt to kill 15 zombies at once, or would you run/hide and try to pick them off a few at a time? This game is meant to be like a real zombie apocalypse, so I say the more realistic the better.

Well I was referring to a difficulty that is born out of problems with core game mechanics, rather than simply just being difficult because it's awesome to fight multiple zombies at once. I have no problem with a challenge

Well I was referring to a difficulty that is born out of problems with core game mechanics, rather than simply just being difficult because it's awesome to fight multiple zombies at once. I have no problem with a challenge

Well, I guess then my question is what's wrong with the core game mechanics, and what do you suggest be done to fix it? No offense, but you cant tell us there's millions of problems with the game and then not tell us what.

I would hope that there are new zombie attack animations in the pipeline.. The current ones look a little goofy.

Lol chill out man. Everyone knows the gun play and combat mechanics are clunky and awkward. And by core issues i guess you havent noticed that zombies kind of do this thing where they run through walls and doors like string theory was back in style. Also the hit detection is a bit wonky sometimes as well as the melee system. There's also the cumbersome movement of the character, as well as the glitchy vaulting that could screw you in an escape.

I mean is there something wrong with stating issues with the current build? Its not like it'll be like that forever. Dont get all riled up because i point out that there are issues with the game and i dont always pretend to know how to fix it lol :P

When the zombie numbers increase, I think they'll have to decrease their detection levels to compensate and allow players a degree of freedom to evade them. I like the idea of numbers building up until they can't be ignored and become a real danger over the course of, say, looting a town. Knowing when to bug out would then be important and teaming up with people would have a purpose.

I think a big problem at the moment is that larger zombie numbers in cities would make them no go areas unless you had a very powerful pc though.

• Like 1