SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

I was attacked by a Z upstairs in a house yesterday !

Anybody else ?

Did it actually walk up the stairs or hit you through the floor?

I got to say the zombie speed is awful. The engine can't handle that speed correctly so they miss you all the time or circle around you.The old speed was more natural. Better slow down people than speed up zombies ;)

This I totally agree.  Our movement speed is way too fast for the size of the map.

• Like 1

I dont even no what your fucking saying.

You don't get what I'm saying because it' Very Simple. Perhaps you expect something complicated?

This is no big deal, but I'll try to help you out. Also ask around - maybe someone else will help you understand about having an "escape route".

In DayZ it's ALWAYS good to know how you can get OUT of a place - have a plan - before you GO IN. If you don't think you can get out fast, you might be going to die soon.

Ask your friends < WTF does this dude mean when he says "make sure there's a back door before you get trapped with no way out" >

Ask for advice like "How Do I Survive When Zombies are Coming in the Front Door and I'm Stuck in there?"

OK - first rule, dont shoot them - use an axe or a pitchfork instead. That sorts out the zombie problem in 3 minutes.

Gunshots bring bad people too. If they see you're having trouble with zombies they are BAD and they laugh too.

Now - second rule -try to stay in an open space when you're fighting a zombie - in a house it's difficult, but stay in the middle of the biggest room, away from the walls, or on the stairs... so the zombs have less chance to come at you suddenly out of the walls (they can hit you from inside a wall while they fight and you can't keep close to hit them back)

This is the MAIN rule - Keep right on top of them, keep MOVING all the time, press you forward key non-stop and use the mouse to turn ALL the time, never stop turning, and hit hit hit, keep turning on top of them, keep hitting , they will go down. They can't hit you if you do this.

Another rule - always carry a spare bandage. You won't need it most times, because killing zombs is easy. But keep one.

Just don't ever SHOOT them unless you're REALLY going to die anyway.. REALLY DONT DO IT. Use the pitchfork.

Other weapons, machetes and fists and stuff - are no good. Fireaxe or pitchfork are best.

Look at YouTube... you will find plenty of examples to help you.

Hey dude, here's a TIP - NOT just for for nubes, it is for EVERYONE who plays DayZ - Buildings with no back way out are BAD NEWS. They always have been.

Be very careful about those places. Make a plan, check the 'hood homey, look round the back first, make a plan before you go in.

ok? Enjoy.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

Anybody else ?

I was on the first floor looking under a bed near the wall in the camo building. Zombie was outside the building on the ground. I guess when I turned in the space by the bed one of my legs or my back glitched throught the wall. Suddenly - bang - my leg was broken. I think the zomb hit me from the ground. I didn't notice other players around, heard no shots. Zombie went on agro howling. I think maybe just my foot was outside the wall? But I was a floor higher.

In another building, I found the girl zombie in the upstairs room, just standing. Then as I left she suddenly agroed, ran in and out of the walls, I tried to get out and met another zomb on the ground floor also agroing with his head half way up the stairs, then he started walking up the stairs for real, still doing the hit animation. Between these 2 it was difficult to get out. (heh)

Edited by pilgrim

I was on the first floor looking under a bed near the wall in the camo building. Zombie was outside the building on the ground. I guess when I turned in the space by the bed one of my legs or my back glitched throught the wall. Suddenly - bang - my leg was broken. I think the zomb hit me from the ground. I didn't notice other players around, heard no shots. Zombie went on agro howling. I think maybe just my foot was outside the wall? But I was a floor higher.

In another building, I found the girl zombie in the upstairs room, just standing. Then as I left she suddenly agroed, ran in and out of the walls, I tried to get out and met another zomb on the ground floor also agroing with his head half way up the stairs, then he started walking up the stairs for real, still doing the hit animation. Between these 2 it was difficult to get out. (heh)

Desync almost killed me last night.  I was fending off 2 infected that died 10 seconds later from my axe when all of a sudden as I was running I fell over.  Immediately I was hoping I finally got the bug that people have been complaining about with getting their legs broken and died.  Nope, it was another infected who never rendered as was hitting me in the middle of my desync.  I survived but it ruined my pants and the morphine I had in them.  Luckily I had another stashed in my protector case.  Was it annoying, yes, but I know know what I got into when I clicked the purchase button for this "early access alpha".

• Like 1

I've seen zeds follow me up first flight stairs if they're right behind me.

Just died in the airstrip building. Got to the site, cleared off all zeds I could see, went in. On the 2nd floor, crouched between bunk and the wall. Open inventory to grab gear. Out of the blue: "HAROAR! SMACK" and thats all it took. One hit through a wall by a flying zombie.  Well, at least it was a surprise. Lesson learned, don't come close to walls.

• Like 2

Anybody else ?

me too.  Surprised the shit out of me.

Just died in the airstrip building. Got to the site, cleared off all zeds I could see, went in. On the 2nd floor, crouched between bunk and the wall. Open inventory to grab gear. Out of the blue: "HAROAR! SMACK" and thats all it took. One hit through a wall by a flying zombie.  Well, at least it was a surprise. Lesson learned, don't come close to walls.

THAT - YEP, exactly that, the same..the two bunks side-by-side - the one near the window. The zombie was nodding outside down on the gass where he usually is. He had maybe already detected me, but I'm UPSTAIRS so he can't figure it out, so he stands there.

I saw something down in that corner between the bed and the wall and knelt and  YEP...  HAROAR. WHACK..  At first I thought a hotshot dude had seen my FOOT sticking through about an inch through the first floor concrete for one tenth of a second and snapshot it. But that Zombie had the POWER, dude, he had the DARK SIDE FORCE with him.. WOW.

Lucky he didn't think to come looking for me while I was up in the building doing first-aid, because the stairs were a good distance further away from him than than I was, he'd have to go far past me to reach them if I stayed in place;. Good thing they don't have a brain. But the BIT of me that showed outside that moment HAD to be ten-twelve feet up the wall. He wasn't even directly underneath. It was first howl first hit. He was in the garden at least horizontally 6 or eight feet away, AND ten feet lower. So from that position he's go to do an upwards diagonal instant 14-foot strike.

Then later he got mad.

Edited by pilgrim

plz. dont complain how melee is broken and u cant hit them damn zombies!!!!!!

get used to the new hitboxes u suckers!!!! i took a break from the sa for 1 month ... came back and having a blast with the respawning zombies !!!!!

NO WAY THEY ARE OVERPOWERED!!! IF THE ZOMBIES KILL YOU, PLAY ANOTHER GAME (some railshooter with scripted events or some cod bullshit).

it ll all get better when we get private hives!!!

plz. dont complain how melee is broken and u cant hit them damn zombies!!!!!!

get used to the new hitboxes u suckers!!!! i took a break from the sa for 1 month ... came back and having a blast with the respawning zombies !!!!!

NO WAY THEY ARE OVERPOWERED!!! IF THE ZOMBIES KILL YOU, PLAY ANOTHER GAME (some railshooter with scripted events or some cod bullshit).

it ll all get better when we get private hives!!!

In your way of thinking, the same applies for them spawning above you and running through walls, right? "if you dont like it, play another game?"

Typical fanboy.

Typical fanboy.

Try and be nice. Continuously calling, as you have been, other users 'fanboys' is almost as bad as everyone automatically saying 'alpha'.

Try and be nice. Continuously calling, as you have been, other users 'fanboys' is almost as bad as everyone automatically saying 'alpha'.

fight fire with fire, i guess.

i'm being a dick more often lately, cause seems that educated posts pass unnoticed on this forums. People pay more attention to acid comments than to constructive ones.

fight fire with fire, i guess.

i'm being a dick more often lately, cause seems that educated posts pass unnoticed on this forums. People pay more attention to acid comments than to constructive ones.

What is that phrase, again? Two wrongs don't make a right.

What is that phrase, again? Two wrongs don't make a right.

one right and 50 wrongs dont make it right either.

Edited by lipemr

one right and 50 wrongs dont make it right either.

There are plenty of users that stick to the rules. Anyway, back on topic.

Hi,

So, my thoughts on zombies, I think that the pathfinding is still very hazardous, i mean, for one they spot from 5 kilometers away, I once tried looting the airport on an empty server (so no one to bring zombies on me), and just by killing them with my axe, I got an incessant flow of Z coming to me ... Except if they have a hive mind something like this, this is ridiculous !

In your way of thinking, the same applies for them spawning above you and running through walls, right? "if you dont like it, play another game?"

Typical fanboy.

wow. never have been hit by a Zombie since i am playing again! ist funny to see them Z's popping up on the Roof!

also if i loot a building i am constantly moving! those z's sure jump in but they are easy to evade.  GAWD!  u can even hear them!

imo. the zeds should be more powerful!

I dont like fast zombies, i do not like the new respawn radius and i really dont like the zombie jumping attacks, zombies should be slow, large in numbers and should only go down with a headshot, for now the game is not for me anymore, maybe ill try on the next big patch.

I don't care what anyone says, unless you have an impossible amount of zombies, "slow" zombies will never be a threat. As long as you can escape them via jog or run, they are not a threat with the exception of being trapped.

Edited by solodude23

Slow zombies are easy to make a threat. You obviously havent played much zombie games / seen much zombie movies

Game Examples

Left 4 dead 2 Walking Corpses Mod (this makes all zombies walk/shuffle and not run) it is way harder than original difficulty. There are also no special zombies. it is difficult because 1-3 scratches is fatal Literally two hits and your on floor. The only way to survive is to 100% make sure no zombie ever touches you

Resident Evil 1 , 2 , 3 and 4

All these games have slow zombies. Again on harder difficulties the game creates a challenge because of the high damage output. 1-3 hits is fatal again, with the first hit taking almost 50% health. If you imagine that sort of damage on day z the zombies would be extremely dangerous. Going in for a melee should be absolutely risky and almost 50% chance they'll; hit you from the side or whack your arm when you bring the axe in.

Project Zomboid / State of Decay

Both these games use a medium range Walker/ Jogger as i would say, they are shuffling walkers as default but when you go near them they can jog. They are as fast as your character in jog, and slightly slower than your sprinting character. Gives a nice balance- need stamina to escape them, but they can keep up generally and do a lot of damage

Films & TV

Dawn of the dead

Shaun of the Dead

The Walking Dead

Zombie land

etc etc

IN Summary, it is easy to balance a slower zombie.

Basic principles (common sense to any veteran walking dead/ dawn of the dead fan)-

Damage Output! Most Crucially Slow zombies must KILL in between one-three strikes, or one bite. one scape should do 30-50% damage and leave the player bleeding and infected. Seriously! Must fear the zombie strike

Strength in numbers - slow zombies should travel in hordes, and noise attracts more

HeadShot Only. Slow zombies should only die when headshotted. Chest shots, legs, arms,., etc should have no effect / minor slowdown. only a headshot kills

Make these three things part of the zombie and you will see slow zombies can be much,much harder. Try that left 4 dead 2 walking corpses Mods on Extreme difficulty. And then come back and tell me its easy

-

Edited by AgentNe0

This is my very first post here so... hi everybody! I've played the SA for 136 hours and always alone. Not counting my first few hours in the game, I never EVER had any problems in dealing with the zeds. In fact, I straight up punched several of them to death right after spawing just because I was annoyed by them while looting the nearest town (and that was at a time where almost every hit of them lead to bleeding, too). Now don't get me wrong, I don't consider that a great achievement of any sort and I'm certain that most experienced players here feel the same way.

That said, of course they need to be a serious threat, only very few players think otherwise, but I also think they need to be at least somewhat predictable. Their movement speed and damage output is fine the way it is right now - I even dare saying they could hit twice as hard and still wouldn't be that much of a problem. BUT, and that's a big "but" (I like those), everything else about them is broken as hell.

There's just no telling when/if they'll see you and you gotta anticipate a huge amount of lag to hit them properly (even a very low ping doesn't seem to make a difference). Sometimes I can sneak right past them, sometimes they'll see me from a mile away and I have the suspicion that simply looking at them, even from behind and very far away, triggers their aggro - kinda like Endermen...

I didn't experience any excessive respawing myself (yet) but I understand it can be a huge pain in the ass and I'm pretty sure the fix would be as easy as changing the corresponding number in the config file to a higher value. And yes, I know, it's an alpha and most of... well, everything is supposedly a placeholder, but I still think there's a more thoughtful way to test stuff w/o resorting to simple trial-and-error changes.

To summarize: current zombie speed & strength are okay, the rest isn't.

So basically I had got really great gear from the airfields, and I went down to Berezino for bandit hunting.

I shot one bandit and moved about 1.5 km from where I shot him. I found a really good sniping spot on the hill north of berezino. It was covered in trees and bushes, and there's no way anyone was going to spot me there without hard effort.

But these damn zombies kept respawning around me, on the big open field, and I don't know why.. I was laying prone, with the best camo clothing you can get, I wasn't even moving. But they kept on respawning, and I had to get up and kill that one aggro that came every minute. I killed about 10 zombies this way, the last one I had ran from such far away I don't even know how the hell he could have spotted me. It was maybe 300 meters away, so I had to get up and kill him, and when I went back. Bam , you're dead.

Zombies have been glitched since DayZ came out as a mod, how can it be so hard to fix them? Atleast this, it hasn't been like this before why would you make it so they spawn around you?

I know it's an Alpha but damn this is annoying as hell, and also got me killed

• Like 1

Hello There

Did you try the search tool?

The zeds are placeholders and are being rewritten.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1