BambiInElektro

Ghillie suit, rangefinder ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghillie_suit

There you go, you could of just googled it. You don't need people to do this for you

Oh dear.....

double-facepalm1.jpg

Yes I already knew the answer which you didn't as you said...

"There need to be limitations on the military aspect, we are supposed to survive, not to thrive."

Ghillie suits were not military at all, are used more by hunters than army personnel which is why I asked if you knew anything about them. Now that you know, you can see why you statement above is flawed.

Edited by Jexter

I like the approach that standalone will probably take towards ghillies.

Either you put the ghillie on and restrict storage space aka no backpack and stuck with only limited slots in your pants and the ghilli.

Or you don't craft a ghillie and take the inventory.

I was overjoyed when i heard them say that on the live stream.

An improvised Ghillie Suit would be cool. You'd have to hunt around for rope and other odds and ends to make one so it would be moderately tough to do. It should not be easy by any means.

The range finder is a bad idea in my opinion. Seriously, you can't estimate what 100 meters looks like in the game and then just multiple that in relation to your target? I took out a Zomber in Novad yesterday at it had to be at least 500m away. The Zomber was very tiny in the cross-hairs of my LRS. I took the shot and the Zomber met his end. I really haven't tried taking out any targets beyond 500m. There is no reason to make things hard on yourself. The only reason to shoot past 500m is to challenge yourself. I'm fine with that. It's fun to see how good you are as a sniper. I just recently switched from AK's and SKS's to the Mosin. The Mosin is more of a challenge.

In short range engagements I use pistols, the best being the FNX45 which is very hard to find. Right now I have a 1911 which is awesome for close combat situations, and I have a Python as secondary pistol. Both of those pistols will do the job nicely.

I really don't understand the absolute hate of any weapon with 'sniper range' on it. Really, you can be sniped by an assault rifle with a scope on it or a civilian bolt action hunting rifle in most cases. You normally aren't going to be dealing with 800 meter to 1000 meter away shooters, you are normally going to be dealing with 200 meter to 400 meter guys. Why? You can remain hidden in most areas at a distance of 300, 400, or 500 meters away, still have a good view in, and you have a better chance of hitting. Less calculations, easier to run in and get the loot.

I'm going to bring up something done right by that game made by the 16 year old, Unturned. In that, he made the mosin (Known as the mosen in his title) less accurate then any of the assault rifles. Really, he made all of the assault rifles more accurate then any of the civilian bolt actions. I really like this!

Why? The mosin's range is less then a modern assault rifle. Why would you want to use a mosin for sniping? It'd be easier to get a good optic on an assault rifle and use that for shooting from a distance instead of an incredibly old bolt action.

Snipers are a part of a game, and, really, you can do it with any rifle, even if you don't have an optic. The act is simply one of distancing yourself from the enemy - It has its advantages and disadvantages. Its a legitimate tactic, and a smart one.

So - Rangefinders and ghillies, please. Though I won't wear the latter! My tracksuit is much more stylish.

Nah, no range finders. Again, you should easily be able to estimate what 100m looks like, then you can just multiply that 100m out to 1000m fairly accurately. If not then it looks like you're not making any 1000m kills. Practice makes perfect.

Oh dear.....

double-facepalm1.jpg

Yes I already knew the answer which you didn't as you said...

"There need to be limitations on the military aspect, we are supposed to survive, not to thrive."

Ghillie suits were not military at all, are used more by hunters than army personnel which is why I asked if you knew anything about them. Now that you know, you can see why you statement above is flawDude

He doesn't know sarcasm lol  child please 

Edited by Elvis 22222222

There need to be limitations on the military aspect, we are supposed to survive, not to thrive. 

Yes, of course. We're crafting military gear.

Would you like it if they removed every single gun from the game, and there were only 10 cans of food able to exist at once across the entire board? Because I fail to see how using the environment in order to craft suits that camouflage you is creating some "tacticool militery hardc0re shuters that BREAKZ WAT DAYZ IS MENT TO B3 BECAUZ I NO WAT IT IS VBECAUZ I CRETED DAYZ".

We're "supposed" to survive in order to reach a level at which we thrive. It's supposed to be difficult, yes, but the level is still there. You'll feel truly accomplished once you reach a level of satisfaction.

We're "supposed" to survive in order to reach a level at which we thrive. It's supposed to be difficult, yes, but the level is still there. You'll feel truly accomplished once you reach a level of satisfaction.

That's the poopy part of the current build. There's no thriving. You survive and then have nothing to do besides collect more food or go shoot it out and repeat. I can't wait until there's farming and building so I can have something to do and protect other than my backpack and it's contents.

Why?  Why are they a "must" yet, 'must' be hard to find the materials for and craft?

I think (improvised) ghillie suits are an absolute must, but only if they're rare or require lots of work to craft (for example, three compartments. One in cherno, one in that new town north of NWAF, and one all the way NE. To really make players work for it. And of course make them fairly rare, but not too much)

Yes, of course. We're crafting military gear.

Would you like it if they removed every single gun from the game, and there were only 10 cans of food able to exist at once across the entire board? Because I fail to see how using the environment in order to craft suits that camouflage you is creating some "tacticool militery hardc0re shuters that BREAKZ WAT DAYZ IS MENT TO B3 BECAUZ I NO WAT IT IS VBECAUZ I CRETED DAYZ".

Actually you feel kinda bored now with no objective, and then you go kill stuff. Now with this, people can have a easier time kill Bambi's  Brilliant

P.S.

It doesn't help when you act like dick on forums, any other better moderated site would have banned you for this middle response. Suggest you remove it. 

Edited by Elvis 22222222

Actually you feel kinda bored now with no objective, and then you go kill stuff. Now with this, people can have a easier time kill Bambi's  Brilliant

P.S.

It doesn't help when you act like dick on forums, any other better moderated site would have banned you for this middle response. Suggest you remove it. 

Newly spawned players aren't going to be able to counter snipe any better against someone who's already got enough long ranged-gear. The ghillie suit is only useful for fighting against other snipers or well equipped people; against a bambi charging you with an axe it makes no difference.

Either way, it's not like the ghillie suit will be easy to craft, it'll probably need plenty of different materials and take a good amount of time to put together. You won't be able to use a backpack with it and when not in the treeline you stick out far easier and become a larger target. Later on in development, when higher-grade weapons and gear start to become rarer, you'll have less of an incentive to go around and kill freshly spawned players, and will be more inclined to use ghillie suits for stealth or for support in combat.

Granted, it won't at all stop PvP or KoS, but somehow I don't think a camouflaged suit is going to ruin the game.

He doesn't know sarcasm lol  child please 

BS your were being sarcastic.

I am all for rare, god-mode items.  Just make them extremely rare.  I have no problem with badasses running around here and there, with clear tactical advantages vs other players.

Then again I want a camo suit like the predator, and motion sensors like in Aliens.

With the way the loot economy will be, I don't see a problem with this.  There is/was an issue with duping, but that is it's own separate thing.

Nah, no range finders. Again, you should easily be able to estimate what 100m looks like, then you can just multiply that 100m out to 1000m fairly accurately.

Oh ok...anyways

Ghillie suits are....the most overrated item ever. This debate is funny. Ghillie suits go in and nothing is going to change. And you want to go around without a backpack with the current server stability? That's fine with me.

Strawman about server stability issues aside the counters to sniper are the same ghille or not. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. There is a dissonance at the core of ghille suit in DayZ. Namely how much a player is required to move. Add the addition of hypothermia, rain, weather, hunger, predators (forthcoming), it just never meshed with how it is meant to be used. Add in addtional backpack micro management, lower ammo counts, where is the return for investment? It's getting pretty steep for a bit a long range PvP.

I'm sure many will make the call but I for one am not quaking in my boots. Ghilles don't grant skill, they impart overconfidence imho.

Rangefinders aren't that crazy rare, specialized yes but not a unicorn. You find them in sports shops, golf shops and hunting stores...i guess Chernarus has a pro shop!

Edited by Trizzo

I would like to be able to improvise a ghillie suit through crafting and wouldn't like to see rangefinders. Sniping shouldn't be easy in this game, it doesn't have a military background like Arma, it's a wasted "civilian world". This is where Dayz should distance itself from the mod and Arma.

But it just so happens all hunting, golf and other outdoor shops and online retailers sell a variety of rangefinders for all price brackets. Thing is in real life cheaper rangefinders may only range things to 300 or 400 yards. Bushnell says their cheap Yardage Pro Sport 450 is only good to 200 yards on deer.

Rangefinders aren't that crazy rare, specialized yes but not a unicorn. You find them in sports shops, golf shops and hunting stores...i guess Chernarus has a pro shop!

Aaand it just so happens they added a civilian rangefinder... aaand it just so happens to be the exact one I mentioned above. :lol:

bushnellcheap_zpscc7a7a31.png

• Like 2

Aaand it just so happens they added a civilian rangefinder... aaand it just so happens to be the exact one I mentioned above. :lol:

bushnellcheap_zpscc7a7a31.png

Good good hope they make it give inaccurate readings the further the distance it tries to range just like real life.

Good good hope they make it give inaccurate readings the further the distance it tries to range just like real life.

If it can't get a reading it just doesn't display anything. Haven't tried it but WOBO said his didn't work at all.

"Sometimes its what you don't see that's more interesting" - Chris "Gabrielle" Torchia

Wait a second, is this where's waldo v2.0?