Katana67

The Battle Rifle Thread!

The DMR was a fucking lazer rifle, I think the issues was mostly in the optic zoom, rate of fire and recoil (there being almost none) and of course ammo.

Like you mentioned that shouldn't be a problem with a more in depth control of loot spawns and rarities.

I mean didnt the AKM hit as hard as the DMR? Difference was a fight between 2 AKMS, no optics, lots of recoil = a much more interesting and longer firefight

This would be just fine:

kQ1EzzH.jpg?1

This would suck:

P8HyfwU.jpg?1

• Like 3

The DMR was a fucking lazer rifle, I think the issues was mostly in the optic zoom, rate of fire and recoil (there being almost none) and of course ammo.

Like you mentioned that shouldn't be a problem with a more in depth control of loot spawns and rarities.

I mean didnt the AKM hit as hard as the DMR? Difference was a fight between 2 AKMS, no optics, lots of recoil = a much more interesting and longer firefight

DMR did 8200 damage. AKM did something like 4000.

This would be just fine:

This would suck:

I like both! :D

I never said they did not exist.

All I am saying is how likely would it be to find such rails in Eastern Europe.

It all comes down to probability for me. This isn't a means to balance anything its just common sense.

I purchased mine on the internet. I'm sure eastern europeans could do the same thing. The g3 isn't exactly the american gun of choice either.

To be honest, it's sold on an airsoft website by an airsoft manufacturer, but the build quality is so amazing (thick machined hardened steel, with a durable thick finish), I wouldn't hesistate to put it on the real thing. It's odd, because I've seen many mounts meant for firearms which are far inferior in quality.

Edit: Looking this up, it's apparently aluminum, not steel. I could have sworn it said steel on the packaging. I wonder if it changed, or if my memory is crap? Probably the latter.

Edited by agouti

I purchased mine on the internet. I'm sure eastern europeans could do the same thing. The g3 isn't exactly the american gun of choice either.

Yeah, I mean my buddy bought a solid rail and railed handguard for his PTR-91 (G3) off of the web. Very fun weapon! Kicked like a spooked horse though... convinced him to install a recoil buffer and comp, made a world of difference.

Edited by Katana67

DMR did 8200 damage. AKM did something like 4000.

oh yeah thats right, AKM just hit harder than stanags and AK74, still the point still stands, the standard rifles are a lot more interesting combat wise at least in ARMA2. If you look at groups like ShackTack they just dont use the sniper rifles in missions because they don't like the functionality in ARMA for PvP.

Im fine with sniping in dayz but it should be challenging. 

Having fired a G3 in real life, there is indeed something beautiful about a vanilla firearm and dayyum son that baby packs a punch.

'murica people still think that anyone can buy battle rifles parts on the internet anywhere.

It aint the case people, most countrys dont sell AR15's on walmart.

I NEVER saw any army use railed g3/FALs unless its for their special forces units. Just deal with it. The only attachments for FALs and G3s should be the scope mount, the scope, different muzzle breakers, bigger magazines and maybe some crafted supressor (that wouldnt last long).

Not everybody has this rail tacticool fetish that you americans have, deal with it.

Edited by lipemr

'murica people still think that anyone can buy battle rifles parts on the internet anywhere.

It aint the case people, most countrys dont sell AR15's on walmart.

I NEVER saw any army use railed g3/FALs unless its for their special forces units. Just deal with it. The only attachments for FALs and G3s should be the scope mount, the scope, different muzzle breakers, bigger magazines and maybe some crafted supressor (that wouldnt last long).

Not everybody has this rail tacticool fetish that you americans have, deal with it.

Norway and Germany. Non-SF run railed G3's as a DMR and BR. So what even if only SF use the weapon either way?

I am dealing with it, by advocating against it.

Never been into a Walmart, is it nice?

Edited by Katana67

Norway and Germany. Non-SF run railed G3's as a DMR and BR. So what even if only SF use the weapon either way?

I am dealing with it, by advocating against it.

Never been into a Walmart, is it nice?

yeah, one small country adopts the rail system and it instantly becomes more relevant than the millions of original FALs and G3s out there. Seems legit.

Edited by lipemr

yeah, one small country adopts the rail system and it instantly becomes more relevant than than millions of original FALs and G3s out there. Seems legit.

Well, two relatively large countries (Norway having a population of 5 million and Germany having a population of 80 million). None of which are Chernarus, the fictional country in which we're playing this video game. Only mentioned them to assert the inaccuracy of your claim that no army uses railed G3s.

Moreover, never did I say railed G3s were more prevalent than non railed G3s.

However, I would assert that they are more relevant yes, in terms of pragmatic gameplay concerns.

Should they be removing the 1911 (a very expensive, rare, and modified Kimber Warrior), the FN FNX (a weapon employed by Belgium and the US in a few sparse police units) and the Amphibia S (a very expensive weapon, rare, only used by SEALs, and highly regulated in the civilian world due to ATF regulations)?

Edited by Katana67

Every weapon can be customised and equiped with rails and shit. What I would like is that there are old weapons that cant have atachments, but there are more common, like AKM, FAL, SKS, Mosin... And also more modern wepons with rails for all kind of atachments, but hard to find. They should random spawn in heli crashes or in wrechen humwees in midle of forest. So you dont just run at NWAF in first 20 minutes of game and get fully upgraded M4 after half hour in game. So you have to go trough whole map to find something realy good, and to feel like you acomplished something when you find them. Its so easy to gear up in game right now. 

Every weapon can be customised and equiped with rails and shit. What I would like is that there are old weapons that cant have atachments, but there are more common, like AKM, FAL, SKS, Mosin... And also more modern wepons with rails for all kind of atachments, but hard to find. They should random spawn in heli crashes or in wrechen humwees in midle of forest. So you dont just run at NWAF in first 20 minutes of game and get fully upgraded M4 after half hour in game. So you have to go trough whole map to find something realy good, and to feel like you acomplished something when you find them. Its so easy to gear up in game right now. 

I like this approach, perhaps it could work in terms of a trinary approach? Where you have a category of weapons which cannot mount any attachments (common/uncommon), a category which can mount some through modification (rare), and a category of weapons which can mount many attachments innately (very rare).

The weapon lineup itself is sort of irrelevant to how it's approached. So, perhaps a quadrinary approach is better for the sake of division of loot.

So for example, you look at battle rifles. You have the M1 Garand/SVT-40 as the common/uncommon finds which can mount no attachments. You then have things like the rare FN FAL and G3 which can mount some attachments (perhaps through weapon-specific optics or perhaps through rare separately looted rail systems, could be a fourth category there). And then you have the hyper-rare Mk 17's/EBRs which can mount many attachments without much additional modification.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

The weapon lineup itself is sort of irrelevant to how it's approached. So, perhaps a quadrinary approach is better for the sake of division of loot.

I think in finished game, Mosin shouldnt be able to mount LRS, no mather if it is posible in real life. PU scope should be enough. Also bipods. I guess there will be proper sniper rifles like M40/Remington model 700. Mosin should be more comon, but scopes rare. It is military weapon, but sold to civilian population.

I think in finished game, Mosin shouldnt be able to mount LRS, no mather if it is posible in real life. PU scope should be enough. Also bipods. I guess there will be proper sniper rifles like M40/Remington model 700. Mosin should be more comon, but scopes rare. It is military weapon, but sold to civilian population.

Agreed. I don't care that a Mosin can/cannot mount a LRS, it can for the record. I care about how it affects gameplay.

And a common (as it stands now) bolt-action rifle shouldn't be able to mount the best optics in the game, as a matter of balance.

The PU scope is more than adequate, and I suspect it'll be great if/when they get the magnifications right for each optic. And even the PU scope spawns waayyyyy too much, I find it in every damn building it seems.

• Like 1

And even the PU scope spawns waayyyyy too much, I find it in every damn building it seems.

Sometimes I find 4 or 5 in one evening. Also, I find more Mosins/SKS than Blaze/shotguns. And more SKS clops than 7.62 or 12 gage speed loaders. 

Battle rifles? Yes please, but in consistency with what we have in game.

We got UN Military Berets? Well, good, give us an FN FAL or a G3 with attachments. Maybe an M14 to go with the US Camo shirts, an AKM and we're golden.

I'd rather have the option of a gazillion attachments with specific spawn spots for one gun and additions than 50 different military grade rifles that have no place in a former soviet republic.

Not a battle rifle but as an extremely rare item they could add the AUG F3 to go with the New Zealand Military beret.

If there's still need for more weapon p0rn after that, they could always fill up the loot table with civilian weaponry - semi-auto versions of military rifles, tons of pistols (with mags that only spawn in civilian areas), exotic hunting rifles.

Battle rifles? Yes please, but in consistency with what we have in game.

We got UN Military Berets? Well, good, give us an FN FAL or a G3 with attachments. Maybe an M14 to go with the US Camo shirts, an AKM and we're golden.

Trouble is, Russians aren't so hot on battle rifles. So there's no real analog, outside of the SVT-40 (which would be analogous to the Garand) and the SVD (which is pretty much a dedicated DMR, I've rarely seen the irons used or another optic.

The AKM isn't a battle rifle, but it's inbound regardless.

Agreed on the FAL and G3, would be good mid-range battle rifles.

Trouble is, Russians aren't so hot on battle rifles. So there's no real analog, outside of the SVT-40 (which would be analogous to the Garand) and the SVD (which is pretty much a dedicated DMR, I've rarely seen the irons used or another optic.

The AKM isn't a battle rifle, but it's inbound regardless.

Agreed on the FAL and G3, would be good mid-range battle rifles.

You're ofc right, the AKM isn't really a battle rifle but probably the only Soviet made weapon that comes close. The final thing that comes to my mind would be the Saiga 308, not sure how viable that would be though.

• Like 2

You're ofc right, the AKM isn't really a battle rifle but probably the only Soviet made weapon that comes close. The final thing that comes to my mind would be the Saiga 308, not sure how viable that would be though.

Functionally, the Saiga .308 is pretty much the same as the SVT-40.

Both are "civilian" semi-automatic battle rifles as of now, either one would work. I'd assume that the Saiga .308 is a bit more modular than a SVT-40, I don't know much about either (other than one is newer and the other is older).

I think it might be better just to opt for the SVT-40/M1 Garand split for the uncommon/common Warsaw Pact battle rifle.

I'm still not entirely sure how the round distribution is going to work (i.e. 7.62x54R and 7.62x51). So I'm not sure if a .308 BR would be better than going for a 7.62x54R rifle just in terms of rarity/availability. And.30-06 for that matter.

As of now, 7.62x54R doesn't exist in-game. Mosin uses 7.62x51 and we haven't seen the SVD yet. But it might not be worth it, given that not a lot of infantry weapons use 7.62x54R (SVD, PKM, and Mosin are pretty much it).

I have no idea how the developers plan to do ammo in the end-state, which is frustrating as it informs the rarity of the weapons themselves.

I'm starting to think it might be prudent (albeit fairly unrealistic in certain instances) to have ammo be divided by weapon type, rather than specific weapon (i.e. all battle rifles use .308). But that's certainly not going to happen.

Edited by Katana67

since we have outrageously crappy replies, i will make a crappy one to.

WHY DONT WE ADD THE FG42 I MEAN THERE WERE LIKE 7000 MADE!!!

• Like 1

since we have outrageously crappy replies, i will make a crappy one to.

WHY DONT WE ADD THE FG42 I MEAN THERE WERE LIKE 7000 MADE!!!

Hey I'm down.

They're making civilian replicas these days too. 

Just as long as they throw in the Denel 20mm anti-materiel rifle. I'm set. Otherwise, WTF devs?

Edited by Katana67

Agreed. I don't care that a Mosin can/cannot mount a LRS, it can for the record. I care about how it affects gameplay.

And a common (as it stands now) bolt-action rifle shouldn't be able to mount the best optics in the game, as a matter of balance.

The PU scope is more than adequate, and I suspect it'll be great if/when they get the magnifications right for each optic. And even the PU scope spawns waayyyyy too much, I find it in every damn building it seems.

Woa woa woa. I do like this idea of LRS on mosins because it is realistic. I'd also like to see super slick aftermarket stocks and those mag systems which give you detachable mags. Honestly, I laugh at most of the world and their gun laws. Smell that free air? You don't. Czechoslovakia knows what I'm talking about.

Also, is the Amphibia S really that expensive? I mean, aside from the cost that the mystique and gun laws have brought, is it that expensive? It's just a modified Ruger Mark II. Rugers are like $600 tops. How much can a can cost?

On that note, I'd like to see optics for every rifle without fail. It's a rifle? It gets optics. Smgs/pistols/shotguns not so much.

Edit: Actually, I'd like to see optics for carbines/smgs too. The ruger 10/22 should get optics, and maybe even some for the mp5. If it can hit a man at 100 yards, it gets optics!

Edited by agouti

Also, is the Amphibia S really that expensive?

$1500.

I get your point but the run is longer than that if you stop off anywhere on the way lol