Katana67

The Battle Rifle Thread!

One of the most controversial weapons of the mod was the DMR, which of course stands of Designated Marksman Rifle. However, the distinction between a battle rifle and a designated marksman rifle is often dependent on the use intended for a given weapon (rather than the weapon itself). For the purposes of this thread, they're one in the same.

So, the SVD is coming down the pipes and I figure it's time to have a good ol' reasonable discussion about DMRs and battle rifles and how you think they will/should play out in DayZ.

I think they're essential, and would be my go-to choice for the impending zombie apocalypse. Hard hitting, medium-mag capacity, mid-long range, semi-automatic (although some are select-fire), chunky recoil, death dealing machines.

The DMR in DayZ was controversial in the mod (although, I was just fine with it) for several reasons. Chief amongst which was the availability of ammo. One could find a full DMR mag readily in industrial buildings for heaven's sake! Not to mention the variable magnification optics came glued to the DMR in perfect working order, and it didn't require a bipod to fire accurately at range. And the DMRs themselves were fairly commonplace.

All issues able to be remedied, some of which already have been in DayZ.

Luckily for us, the calibers which most battle rifles and DMRs use (7.62x51 and 7.62x54R in one) are already in the game! So there wouldn't be any trickery in that regard.

Likewise, weapons being found with optics already attached is no longer the case.

No doubt though, that this is a powerful weapon. Very versatile. I personally think it could be balanced through (like most weapons) suitable magazine rarity, already existent optic rarity, heavy recoil, ammo rarity/scarcity, and perhaps weight further on down the line. Not to mention being suitably rare in itself.

This is embodied in how the FN FAL was treated in the mod. It was a rare drop, and required different magazines which were also a rare drop. Moreover, it didn't have an optic. When it did, it was the AN/PVS-4 NV sight and its usefulness was limited during the day. This is obviously no longer the case, as we've now got a modular optics mechanic in Standalone. However, the need for specific magazines coupled with weapon rarity should, in my opinion, justify the power and flexibility of battle rifles.

Discuss!

204585a6e5a51ac68f741719a31f978e.jpg

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Only reason why the dmr was controversial was because of how poorly implement it was in vanilla arma.

DMRs should be treated like sniper rifles in ace.

They are the same weapon but you can see the slight decrease in accuracy every shot does not go exactly where you want it to.

• Like 3

Only reason the DMR was "controversial" was its fire rate was crazy. Point-spam click-dead.

But I didn't mind it. It was loud as fuckin' hell, quite cumbersome in CQC(But still effective) and the fact that it wasn't rare.. at all.

I've found more M14 DMR's in the mod than I found M14's with red dots, which is a little odd if you ask me.

But yes, M14 please, such a great weapon.

But I didn't mind it. It was loud as fuckin' hell, quite cumbersome in CQC(But still effective) and the fact that it wasn't rare.. at all.

I've found more M14 DMR's in the mod than I found M14's with red dots, which is a little odd if you ask me.

But yes, M14 please, such a great weapon.

This is why I sympathized (although didn't agree with) people who hated on the DMR. I liked the FAL. I liked the M14 AIM. But there was almost no reason to use them over a DMR.

Now, we've got weapons detached from optics. So it's more about what optics you equip to the weapon, than the weapon itself. I personally, if some decent battle rifles are ever included (the SVD isn't all that modular, as it's more of a purpose-built DMR), would fit an ACOG (or similar optic) to it vice a more powerful scope.

• Like 1

While staking out Stary a buddy of mine killed (literally) A truckload of people.

A truck was coming in from the east, we were holed up like rats in the big shed, the driver had a shemagh so he opened up.

It took maybe 5 or 6-ish seconds and there were 6 dead people and a burning truck.

the DMR is beast.

I've got to say, I always took M24 over DMR. I prefer surgery precision lead implants in my enemies.

• Like 1

DMR is best weapon in mod. Id like it in SA, but very rare to get. And even more rare optics for it. Id like more FALs on other hand, and maybe G3. M14 would be fine also. But ataching optics on non-sniper battle rifle should resoult in less accurate weapon. DMR has rails for optics, FAL, M14, G3 have not.

I think there should be all weapons from mod in SA (minus .50 cal and thermal), but very rare. Maybe on or two DMRs on server with 80-100 players, maybe one PKT or 3-4 RPK 74s per server. Most common weapons should be Mosins (not accurate as now, it is massly produced weapon for even massely killed in action infatry), shotguns, maybe SKS. The more powerfull weapon is it should more rare.

M14 is really good weapon and it is US originated so why not? Makes good sharpshooter rifle and works fine for CQC.

DMR is best weapon in mod. Id like it in SA, but very rare to get. And even more rare optics for it. Id like more FALs on other hand, and maybe G3. M14 would be fine also. But ataching optics on non-sniper battle rifle should resoult in less accurate weapon. DMR has rails for optics, FAL, M14, G3 have not.

I think there should be all weapons from mod in SA (minus .50 cal and thermal), but very rare. Maybe on or two DMRs on server with 80-100 players, maybe one PKT or 3-4 RPK 74s per server. Most common weapons should be Mosins (not accurate as now, it is massly produced weapon for even massely killed in action infatry), shotguns, maybe SKS. The more powerfull weapon is it should more rare.

DMR is no particular weapon model. In mod, it was just an M14 with green paint, bipod, optics and cheek-rest.

NATO accessory rail can be fitted to any of them (FN FAL, G3 (or AK4), M14) and be made into DMR.

The CZ550 is kind of redundant with the Mosin.. Both are bolt action sniper rifles. The Mosin is basically a defacto M24, at this point.. Maybe add 1 more military grade bolt action rifle, like the SVD..

CZ550 is actually hunting rifle :)

Edited by SGT. Kalme
  • Like 1

The DMR was my truly favorite weapon in DayZ Mod. Sure you could just spam the trigger but on larger distances you still had to have some skill!

As everybody in this allready said it would be great to see the DMR back in SA but more rare and that it would spawn without scope and amo would be rare!

And let's just say what everybody was thinking that weapon was just f***ing sexy! <3 Hope we will se it in SA sonner or later.

The DMR is just an M14 with a long range optics and a bipod and after-market stock. 

For SA:

Add M14, make it capable of mounting RDS, LRS, and BiPod, and possibly a few different buttstocks... 

Personally, as far as SA goes, I would like them to streamline weapons.. There's no need to have 5 guns in the game that all serve the same purpose. For example, in the Mod there were a bunch of AK's, M16's, M4's, and a bunch of weapons which fired 5.56.. The practical differences between these weapons usually came down to what scope was mounted on it or whether it had a suppressor or not. 

1 or 2 AK's with a bunch of different attachments.

1 M4 with a bunch of different attachments.

1 Double Barrel shotgun

1 auto-shotgun

1 pump action shotgun.

the M14 with a bunch of attachments

SKS

Mosin
Blase

.22 sporter

The CZ550 is kind of redundant with the Mosin.. Both are bolt action sniper rifles. The Mosin is basically a defacto M24, at this point.. Maybe add 1 more military grade bolt action rifle, like the SVD..

Maybe a few Sub Machine guns, like the Mp5 or P90

Maybe a few niche assault rifles, like possibly a bullpup.

Think STREAMLINED.. too many people are pushing too many guns.. There's no reason to have 100 guns, when most of them are redundant in application.

• Like 1

M14 DMR has completly different stock (cheek rest, pistol grip, picantily rails), but I wont argue you for that. Any weapon can be modded to look like something else. In game there should be difference between old M14 (no rails, atachs hunting scope - lower accuracy) and allmighty DMR (LRS - zeroable, very accurate). Rest of battle rifles shouldnt be accurate as DMR, so when you find it you are most powerfull man on server. Imagine you find FAL and Hunting scope in woods, how long it would take you to atach scope and adjust it to shoot at target.

M14 DMR has completly different stock (cheek rest, pistol grip, picantily rails), but I wont argue you for that. Any weapon can be modded to look like something else. In game there should be difference between old M14 (no rails, atachs hunting scope - lower accuracy) and allmighty DMR (LRS - zeroable, very accurate). Rest of battle rifles shouldnt be accurate as DMR, so when you find it you are most powerfull man on server. Imagine you find FAL and Hunting scope in woods, how long it would take you to atach scope and adjust it to shoot at target.

Oh, that is one thing I want back in the SA... The FN FAL.. Honestly one of my favorite guns.

• Like 1

@ Etherimp, we disagree. Id like more weapons, maybe 50 different models with aditional atachments. So not everybody has same gear. Same with clothes and backpacks. Im tired of dosens of same dresed cammo kids with same M4s. 

Edited by igor-vk

M14 DMR has completly different stock (cheek rest, pistol grip, picatinny rails), but I wont argue you for that. Any weapon can be modded to look like something else. In game there should be difference between old M14 (no rails, atachs hunting scope - lower accuracy) and allmighty DMR (LRS - zeroable, very accurate). Rest of battle rifles shouldnt be accurate as DMR, so when you find it you are most powerfull man on server. Imagine you find FAL and Hunting scope in woods, how long it would take you to atach scope and adjust it to shoot at target.

Body made of fiber-plastic. There are different variants of M14.  Even a full-automatic one. And attachment rails can be mounted to any of them.

What our marksmen are using is basically stock shaped body made of fiber-plastic, using 24x optics, bipod and attached cheek-rest. Very effective but shooting distances over 800m is difficult. Until there will be wind affection to ballistics, the DMRs would be too easy to aim and hit. When the affection is added, I vote for M14 with variety of attachments - long-range optics should be rare enough, iron-sights do a job well for mid-distance and CQC multifunctional rifle.

• Like 1

off topic: how I imagine weapon spawn in future:

1. Mosins, shotguns at farm buildings

2. Pistols, hunting rifles in houses and new log taverns.

3. Pistols, SMGs in police stations and fire houses

4. AKs, SVDs in military buildings, airfields, barracs

5. Western weapons in heli crash sites, maybe in hidden base (nort of newest village in NW), crashed Humwees, maybe they add crashed C-130

• Like 2

This is the kind of weapon I miss the most in the standalone. My DMR served me well, as did the M14.

I hope to see European battle rifles like the FAL or G3 make an appearance as soon as possible.

The M14 is a very cool gun but very uncommon outside of America, and no longer in service in the military, so I don't think it would make sense in DayZ.

@ Etherimp, we disagree. Id like more weapons, maybe 50 different models with aditional atachments. So not everybody has same gear. Same with clothes and backpacks. Im tired of dosens of same dresed cammo kids with same M4s. 

This is alpha. There are only a few weapons available and new clothing is being added all the time. Honestly, with every patch I'm seeing people using more and more variety in their outfits.. TTSKO will always be popular, as will ballistic helmets.. Because certain people attempt to optimize their look for PVP.

Adding more weapons than necessary will not really have any impact on people gearing up the same. The Mod had SEVERAL "samey" weapons, but most people carried a DMR. The MK Mod was also really popular, and sometimes you'd see people with a M16 ACOG. Having 100 weapons won't change peoples preferences.

There's really no point in having several weapons which all fill the same role or have similar mechanics. Why have 10 different bolt action sniper rifles, when you can have 2 (A civilian and a military grade), and both of them can be heavily modified with attachments? What's the practical difference between two weapons which fire the same caliber, have the same scope, and the same rate of fire? It's not going to change the fact that people will hunt down the best weapons for whatever fits their playstyle.

For example.. Why have an M16 and an M4 when both weapons are effectively the same? Just have 1 in the game, and allow us to modify it with different attachments. Makes more sense.

Another example is the M1911 vs the FNX 45.

The M1911 has 7 round mag.

The FNX has 15.

The M1911 can mount a flashlight.

The FNX can mount a flashlight, a red dot, and a silencer.

The M1911 and FNX have similar rate of fire.

The M1911 and FNX fire the same ammo. (and thus, the same damage.)

The M1911 and FNX have similar accuracy.

So why would anyone ever use an M1911 over a FNX?

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

Adding more weapons than necessary will not really have any impact on people gearing up the same. The Mod had SEVERAL "samey" weapons, but most people carried a DMR. The MK Mod was also really popular, and sometimes you'd see people with a M16 ACOG. Having 100 weapons won't change peoples preferences.

It will if both the guns as well as ammo became much much rarer than they are now. The more guns and different types of ammo the more difficult it would be to find a positive match between the two, and thus players would be forced to use whatever match of gun and ammo they happened to find. That is in my opinion the most important reason for having lots and lots of different types of guns in the game.

It will if both the guns as well as ammo became much much rarer than they are now. The more guns and different types of ammo the more difficult it would be to find a positive match between the two, and thus players would be forced to use whatever match of gun and ammo they happened to find. That is in my opinion the most important reason for having lots and lots of different types of guns in the game.

So, having 10 different assault rifles which all fire 5.56 will do what, exactly?

You find an assault rifle...You hunt down 5.56 mags, or vice versa. 

See FNX vs 1911 argument from above. Except the difference between pistols is even greater than the difference between Assault Rifles, because most assault rifles can use the same mags.

Edited by Etherimp

So why would anyone ever use an M1911 over a FNX?

because FNX will be rare and 1911 more common (I hope)

This is the kind of weapon I miss the most in the standalone. My DMR served me well, as did the M14.

I hope to see European battle rifles like the FAL or G3 make an appearance as soon as possible.

The M14 is a very cool gun but very uncommon outside of America, and no longer in service in the military, so I don't think it would make sense in DayZ.

Hey, variants of M14 long live today for many nations.

the older variants are still used by Poland, Estonia and Lithuania from post-soviet countries.

So, having 10 different assault rifles which all fire 5.56 will do what, exactly?

If nothing else I will play untill I find and try out all of them

because FNX will be rare and 1911 more common (I hope)

Right, and I don't mind it too much with the 1911 vs the FNX, because some people (like myself) will carry the 1911 for the fact that it's an iconic weapon, rather than optimizing myself for PVP.. A few "samey" weapons doesn't bother me, but the mod had a bunch of different weapons which were all effectively the same, except 1 or 2 of them were clearly "better", which meant people just used the best and nobody ever bothered with the crappier variants.

• Like 2

If nothing else I will play untill I find and try out all of them

And you'll be shockingly bored with how the M16, the M4, G36, and the L85 all perform essentially the same when you remove all of the attachments. 

• Like 1