rosebud

Re-spawn for Bandit and Hero

Suggestion

(for release or open beta)

When your character fires the first bullet or initiates combat leading to the death of a fellow player (thus becoming a “Bandit”), upon that players next three character re-spawns he arrives without flashlight or battery, hungry and dehydrated.

Characters that have become “Hero” will re-spawn with a weak weapon, food and hydrated.

• Like 1

Suggestion

When your character fires the first bullet or initiates combat leading to the death of a fellow player (thus becoming a “Bandit”), upon that players next three character re-spawns he arrives without flashlight or battery, hungry and dehydrated.

Characters that have become “Hero” will re-spawn with a weak weapon, food and hydrated.

this is clearly a flawed system.

example: I approach you, stark naked, and tell you to drop everything or else my sniper friend (who doesn't care about his humanity) will kill you. then i humiliate you at remote-gunpoint until you decide to kill me simply from annoyance.

Now you're a bandit and you did nothing wrong.

That system is broken, and the only way to make it a working system would take over the development of this game.

How would you be able to tell whether they initiated combat first? What if they were attacking zombies when suddenly someone fired at them and they retaliated? 

Besides, these arbitrary systems have no place, heroes should get rewarded by what people do for them for helping. I've had plenty of people give me food, medical gear, even weapons from bandaging them, giving them blood, or whatever, those should be the rewards, not respawning with items. Bandits would see the same because they would nearly always get ruined gear and die a lot more.

How would you be able to tell whether they initiated combat first? What if they were attacking zombies when suddenly someone fired at them and they retaliated? 

Besides, these arbitrary systems have no place, heroes should get rewarded by what people do for them for helping. I've had plenty of people give me food, medical gear, even weapons from bandaging them, giving them blood, or whatever, those should be the rewards, not respawning with items. Bandits would see the same because they would nearly always get ruined gear and die a lot more.

what?!?! people give you stuff for helping them?? the nerve.... but you're right, the reward for helping others comes from the others you have helped - I don't usually stick around long enough for any kind of items from the person I've helped but I did get a "you guys are my heros" when a friend and I passed some food and water to some newspawn on experimental last night. kinda makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy, mighta been the whisky tho.

oh and on topic... to the OP this is a bad idea dude, sorry.

Edited by Elle

what?!?! people give you stuff for helping them?? the nerve.... but you're right, the reward for helping others comes from the others you have helped - I don't usually stick around long enough for any kind of items from the person I've helped but I did get a "you guys are my heros" when a friend and I passed some food and water to some newspawn on experimental last night. kinda makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy, mighta been the whisky tho.

oh and on topic... to the OP this is a bad idea dude, sorry.

I usually stick with a group of friends so if anyone I've (or I should say, we've) helped tries anything, they know what they'll get. Surprisingly never had anyone try to kill us after helping them, though.

The upside for being a hero is almost nonexistent, where as the upside for becoming a bandit is sky high. Though we would like to believe that all of humanity would devolve into serial killers in terms of this game situation, the truth is that we would not. The idea that I forwarded above would simply act as a karmatic payback for good deeds done and payback for bad deeds done. The difference between starting a little hungrier isn't that great and would not effect any ex-bandit that greatly.

If the purity of the game is your goal and true to life realism important, then load the game, play until the moment you get killed and then purge the game from your computer never to be played again. The non-realistic fact is that you are reborn over and over, which eliminates the need to band together out of survival necessity and become a group of "heroes". The reality is that the vast majority of us would not deteriorate into animals killing each other for a can of beans. More likely is the idea that we would band together to kill zombies for that can of beans.

The idea of the post above was simply to injects a degree of moral retribution for immoral acts.

""The non-realistic fact is that you are reborn over and over, which eliminates the need to band together out of survival necessity""

Only from the players perspective. What you are saying is that you are not invested in the character. Additional value is required to make you care.

Your solution is to live well, which doesn't guarantee a will to survive at all costs. To achieve that, you would have to lose something valuable upon death. As it is "easy" to gear up atm, life nor loot qualify.

Suggestion

Haha! Are you angry because someone killed your character which you have named? 

"Hello! I am Mr. Beret, I shall help you all!!" *tsch kaboom* "You are dead."

But seriously though, no. Actually those who suck in combat shouldn't get rewarded at all.

Everyone have similar options and chances in reality if we put a side physical health and capabilities which is not determined by their personality.

So, no to that.

I don't think this idea should be put aside so hastily.

The idea itself has some merit, but the way it's proposed to be implement is terribly thought-out.

But the idea of a bandit or a hero having a very minor advantage or disadvantage when they newly spawn is kind of interesting. I'm not saying that the hero should spawn with an M4 and the bandit should spawn with a wrench up his arse, but I do propose something a little more subtle.

Let's assume that there's some under-the-hood system whereby the game can accurately identify heroes and bandits. I don't know what this system would be, but let's assume it exists.

Perhaps a new spawn hero could spawn closer to good loot. Maybe they have a better chance at spawning in Kamenka near the military base. Also couldn't hurt to maybe spawn them with no hunger or with a tin of beans or something (but no way to open the tin). Bandits, on the other hand, spawn in areas far from good loot. Perhaps they also spawn with slightly more hunger than the average player. So nothing game-breaking, but there should be little buffs and debuffs. Heroes get a very slight head-start while bandits are set back a little bit. Players who weren't bandits or heroes but who were identified as them anyway won't be hugely undeservedly rewarded or punished.

Personally I'm not too fussed. The game seems fine as it is. However, I can see the merit of having little rewards or penalties depending on the playstyle of your previous life. 

The upside for being a hero is almost nonexistent, where as the upside for becoming a bandit is sky high.

So it is like it would be in real life.

• Like 1