Sign in to follow this  
Mancomb

Rename to DayB (Bandits are scarier than zombies)

My suggestion is that larger numbers of infected would create more team play rather than kill on sight.

• Like 1

I wasn't exactly disputing your idea, its just funny how a lot of people will reference the Walking Dead as an example for how DayZ should be as though it were gospel.

And that's what he is pointing out. Even the crazy mayor built a community even though it just might have served his purpose as a camouflage. Even the "evil" ones will form "bandit societies" but unfortunately unlike RL about 99% of the playerbase is "roleplaying" elite soldiers KoSing or just because they don't understand the game. If you applied DayZ logic to TWD then the mayor should have killed everyone in that town long before that community ever had a chance to build up...but he didn't because he had family back then. He lost his way because he lost his family just like Rick does all the time when he has his crazy visions...and his son is a KoSer.

• Like 1

And that's what he is pointing out. Even the crazy mayor built a community even though it just might have served his purpose as a camouflage. Even the "evil" ones will form "bandit societies" but unfortunately unlike RL about 99% of the playerbase is "roleplaying" elite soldiers KoSing or just because they don't understand the game. If you applied DayZ logic to TWD then the mayor should have killed everyone in that town long before that community ever had a chance to build up...but he didn't because he had family back then. He lost his way because he lost his family just like Rick does all the time when he has his crazy visions...and his son is a KoSer.

I agree with you.

Again its just this whole using fiction as a reference for fiction thing, when IRL its doubtful that the zombie apocalypse would ever cause the collapse of industrial civilization even if it were possible for a virus to reanimate the dead.

I agree with you.

Again its just this whole using fiction as a reference for fiction thing, when IRL its doubtful that the zombie apocalypse would ever cause the collapse of industrial civilization even if it were possible for a virus to reanimate the dead.

Indeed it would be very hard to make a society collapse from something like that, maybe if it takes long enough but this is really a big maybe. Of course the outbreaks always happen so sudden in movies ( in fact with no pre warning time at all ) to dramatise the situation the characters are in. Who knows how long the apocalype took in TWD, Rick was in a coma after all.

On the other hand you see how much or less it takes to collapse a society in the 3rd world countries and even there it's not always 24/ KoS in an anarchy - it's mostly tribe vs. tribe vs. warlord vs. whats-left-of-the-government but they still have some form of order.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

Good debate! Yes I agree. Even looking at recent events in Europe where governments are breaking down most people like to unite for a common cause. There are many protests groups and people working together. I think the kind of 'troll' attitude popular with young people today has spread into many games and you see people taking up this playstyle for example in Dark Souls or playing lone wolf in team games. There are lots of examples but I think bad attitude and dis-respect in gaming has reached a peak in Day Z community and people seem to play very selfishly. I am not strictly against people playing the bandit and I stress it is a free-roam game to play as you please. But the game has been ruined somewhat by the self destructive community.

The server options is a tricky debate because they don't want admins kicking people out for no reasons. I would like to join no-kos servers occasionally and just explore. But i can see both sides. As long as the public servers are on the same hive, I guess it is unfair for an admin to enforce a no KOS rule, as it would give those players the advantage when they come onto other servers after gathering resources without risk.

However, the system as it is doesn't work, people are too afraid to co-operate and we can see the cycle of bandits making others think they have to kos to survive. I have died many times trying to communicate and the other guy just shoots me. But I still wouldn't go and do  it, because I have had epic experiences teaming up with randoms.

• Like 1

Good debate! Yes I agree. Even looking at recent events in Europe where governments are breaking down most people like to unite for a common cause. There are many protests groups and people working together. I think the kind of 'troll' attitude popular with young people today has spread into many games and you see people taking up this playstyle for example in Dark Souls or playing lone wolf in team games. There are lots of examples but I think bad attitude and dis-respect in gaming has reached a peak in Day Z community and people seem to play very selfishly. I am not strictly against people playing the bandit and I stress it is a free-roam game to play as you please. But the game has been ruined somewhat by the self destructive community.

The server options is a tricky debate because they don't want admins kicking people out for no reasons. I would like to join no-kos servers occasionally and just explore. But i can see both sides. As long as the public servers are on the same hive, I guess it is unfair for an admin to enforce a no KOS rule, as it would give those players the advantage when they come onto other servers after gathering resources without risk.

However, the system as it is doesn't work, people are too afraid to co-operate and we can see the cycle of bandits making others think they have to kos to survive. I have died many times trying to communicate and the other guy just shoots me. But I still wouldn't go and do  it, because I have had epic experiences teaming up with randoms.

I agree with pretty much everything; I also try not to KoS, but, as you said, many people turn to it simply to defend themselves preemptively. I've only done it once (and I don't think the person I shot was necessarily a bandit OR KoSer), but the only reason was because I had been killed at least half a dozen times in 2 days, and was tired of people always managing to get the drop on me and not attempting to communicate, so I got fed up and joined a hi-pop server with the sole intention of shooting someone first. Granted, my goal as actually to try to find a bandit (or KoSer) camping out on Sniper Hill overlooking Electro, and ambush them, but when I didn't find anyone there, I waited to see if anyone would run by. Eventually, someone did, and I tried to ambush them. Unfortunately, they weren't alone, so I died after taking them down, and I'm not certain as to whether or not I actually killed them. Not that it matters, because I was satisfied simply to have dropped someone before they could drop me, and since then I've gone back to exploring, and even a bit of RPing (I currently have a character that has nothing but work gloves and a pipe wrench, and am running around Electro looking for people to ask if they have any plumbing that needs fixing). After reading through some posts here on the forums that basically say that nobody should get attached to their character or gear, and just to have fun with it in the state it's in, I've tried to do just that. Once the game progresses further (perhaps beta), and they've added more mechanics (hunting, cooking, camping, etc.) and gear (better weapons, thermal scopes, rangefinders, vehicles, etc.), I think we'll see a shift in how people play the game; as it is now, all there really is to do is gear up and kill other people (or help them), so that's what the majority of people end up doing.

Edited by Mancomb

The Z is Zombies.. I don't know where you get this from. But I believe it's zombies,....obviously

Is it? IS IT? No, it isn't. It is Day Zero.

Also rubbish. The game is supposed to be a SURVIVAL APOCALYPSE Game. It is definetly not designed to be a strictly PVP Game! The point of the game is to give the PLAYER the option and choice to roam Chernarus and do as they please, to survive the zombie apocalypse. It is not designed as a PVP 'game mode' which would be your team deathmatch, domination, etc. It is a free-roam survival game. More than anything it is PVE. The whole point is to do whatever you want, and If i think about humanity, and how to survive in an apocalypse, we wouldn't be Waring tribes.,,, that is so stupid. We would be a rising revolution of free-minded people building a self-sustaining community and no longer relying on the government. Obviosly there are those who bandit and steal but you are missing the point. It is not a PVP game or is it designed to be co-op. The game is unique and open and gives the players the options. So stop trying to force people to play this stupid way of shooting everything.

You are right this is a PVE survival game there are just P's in you E. This game is a open world sandbox survival open pvp game. WE make the rules WE make the content WE decide how to play. PVP does not mean a game mode is simply means PLAYER VS PLAYER. If you are familiar EVE online you can compare the DayZ world to WH space you are lucky if you even know someone else is there. DayZ has no restriction on player on player interaction meaning that pvp can and most likely will happen. No one is trying to push anyone in any direction I'm simply telling you what this game is because you seem to not understand it. You have a false premise or vision of what you thought this game was and you are desperately trying to cling to it. As you said "The game is unique and open and gives the players the options".

Edited by KaserinSmarte67

I guess that the zombies are weak ATM, but this may take some time balancing their strength.

If the zombies are too strong, the game will become too hard to play. Also seeming this is an online game, this means that there is no "Easy mode switch" (So everybody leaves).

>I guess there is a balance between Zombie strength <-> Player staisfaction.

Also, i agree that KOS makes the game less enjoyable at times... (Like when you are a freshie, or saying hi im friendly!)

I wish there is more RP in DayZ. By this i mean that bandits would ROB, and not KOS (And so 4 hours of your life isn't wasted completley, becuase you are actually alive and away form the coast clusterf**k to loot again)

Edited by HiddenPuppy

I guess that the zombies are weak ATM, but this may take some time balancing their strength.

If the zombies are too strong, the game will become too hard to play. Also seeming this is an online game, this means that there is no "Easy mode switch" (So everybody leaves).

>I guess there is a balance between Zombie strength <-> Player staisfaction.

Also, i agree that KOS makes the game less enjoyable at times... (Like when you are a freshie, or saying hi im friendly!)

I wish there is more RP in DayZ. By this i mean that bandits would ROB, and not KOS (And so 4 hours of your life isn't wasted completley, becuase you are actually alive and away form the coast clusterf**k to loot again)

I think zombies are hard enough at the moment if not a little to hard due to there quickness, more so if your a freshie with a bad close combat weapon.

What i would like to see is more of them but them being slower but always at the same speed, and for us not to have endless stam.

So yes you can kill people if you want but in shooting a gun your going to be bring a mass of zombies your way unless its silenced of cause ;)

then make silencers a very rare drop

Edited by Drothe

KoSers...not bandits...don't confuse them.

So it should be called "DayK"...has a nice phonetic sound to it...

With a lot of distance the option avoid should be very obvious.........................not.

I second dayk, day kill, very appropriate for what this is .. Or dayi, day infected. An insult to zombie genre lovers everywhere calling these zombies. 

I love how people use The Walking Dead as a reference for what would actually happen in the zombie apocalypse.

It's not a documentary...

I think the walking dead is pretty accurate to how it would be. Or do you think everyone would act like they do in this game.... 

I think the walking dead is pretty accurate to how it would be. Or do you think everyone would act like they do in this game.... 

I think we have to have something like World War Zed and they would still KoS eachother...

• Like 1

Are you addressing me? Because I honestly don't see what I posted as "whining"; simply contributing to the conversation, something you apparently have difficulty doing.

Well, basically, the reply that was already made to this pretty much sums up my thoughts:

Just because a server claims to have a "No KoS" or "No Bandits" rules doesn't mean it won't happen on that server; though, I don't really get why those rules wouldn't be allowed, considering that the servers are likely being paid for and hosted by 3rd parties. Shouldn't someone have the ability to place any restrictions they want (within reason) on a server that THEY are paying for and running? That's how most other game servers work. I think it would be a bit ridiculous for the developer or publisher to come in and say that someone can't run THEIR server the way THEY want to.

Unfortunately its not that simple. At the moment all servers are connected to the same hive (well theres three actualy , hardcore, regular and experimental). If one server had rules that gave its players an advantage over the other players on the same hive then its unfair. For example, one server with "no kos" in the title means that all those players have a huge advantage to surviving and looting whereas people on the other servers have to struggle on. Then people from the "no kos" server join another server all nice and geared up.

That being said, i am not against these servers but they need to be on a private hive. Unfortunately Dayz is in its testing stage (Alpha) so these private hives will have to wait. Its just how it is.

• Like 1

I think we have to have something like World War Zed and they would still KoS eachother...

Probably, there is no cure for the a-typical gamers mindset. Shame, id love to get tricked" and killed. Would make a change from just suddenly getting shot at. Its like being surrounded by gun toting maniacs, (and from watching youtube vids on this) ones that cant even string a sentence together, saying they lack a little "people skills" would be a compliment. Its going to be impossible to get "realism" into it i think thanks to the majority of players. 

I thought DayZ was just a cute way to spell Daisy.  I may quite playing now.  But Morality, oh you selfish bitch.  Morality is an illusion in the form of Avatars.  We control a character, but it is impossible for us to tie our will to them.  We don't feel pain or consequences.  So Say what you will about psychotics, CoD or Battlefield kids, and KoS'ing turds, the fact remains that people can only play a certain way as long as their boredom and distraction are held in check.  Looting over and over and over and over just to go run in the forest, looking for "OMG AMAZING" rock formations and sunsets and sunrises?  I'd sooner use some pristine rope to make a noose for my character. 

The main problem occurs when people start using other players actions as excuses.  "Well, thats the third time I've been killed, and since my life in game is so important, which others don't seem to understand, I am left with no other choice but to KoS everyone else."  I have been saying it so much lately.  It is a sandbox.  I think the only way to find a sense of purpose in this game is to do everything you can possibly do.  Maybe one time when you have a full backpack, you run to the coast and start handing out goods.  You are going to die, probably, but think of how many players you help.  Maybe that makes you happy. 

Also, if continuously dying is a problem for you, prehaps record yourself playing and ask for advice.  I am sure you are doing something you shouldn't; i.e. running down streets, looting the first village you spawn next to, going to Elektro for gunz and glory.

And no, I don't think you should be able to do whatever you want with a server.  If you pay for one, you do so after reading terms and conditions, which tell you not to get one unless you follow the rules.  Thats server buyers fault, and I wish more got banned for kicking unnecessarily. This isn't the mod, I dont want "versions" of the standalone.  I want DayZ, much the same as the devs.

• Like 1

Its alright bro, after you die a few hundred times you kind of get over it.

Probably, there is no cure for the a-typical gamers mindset. Shame, id love to get tricked" and killed. Would make a change from just suddenly getting shot at. Its like being surrounded by gun toting maniacs, (and from watching youtube vids on this) ones that cant even string a sentence together, saying they lack a little "people skills" would be a compliment. Its going to be impossible to get "realism" into it i think thanks to the majority of players. 

Just tried out I44 DayZ..funny folks there some KoSers but quite a few willing to cooperate..i even gave one my R75 sidecar when i left. That server had Wehrmacht as an "enemy" plus zeds plus players as allies but they can still shoot eachother.

• Like 1

Just tried out I44 DayZ..funny folks there some KoSers but quite a few willing to cooperate..i even gave one my R75 sidecar when i left. That server had Wehrmacht as an "enemy" plus zeds plus players as allies but they can still shoot eachother.

We tried out the mod me and my lass, went into a server and the admins came to where we were. Showed us how to build on it, told us how to go about building up credits to be able to afford to and stuff. Was really cool actually. Looking forwards to the completion of this game very much then the modders and admins can make it a good game. lol :). 

Nope. I just don't think the zombie apocalypse could ever bring down civilization. Ergo neither DayZ nor The Walking Dead are accurate in that regard. Both are fantasy, thus both can play out whatever fantasy.

Nope. I just don't think the zombie apocalypse could ever bring down civilization. Ergo neither DayZ nor The Walking Dead are accurate in that regard. Both are fantasy, thus both can play out whatever fantasy.

Let's imagine in case civilization as we know breaks apart...what could we expect? KoS 24/7 or rather communities that try to work together and make the world a better place again? I don't think the first will work long because people don't like disturbances. Second one maybe yes, it depends which part of the world. If you were in the savage parts of the world who gives a fuck, not very different from their daily life anyway, it would probably be the "civilzed world" wanting to get their old life back if at least a bit with all their rules and limitations to have some sense of security.

Edited by Enforcer

Let's imagine in case civilization as we know breaks apart...what could we expect? KoS 24/7 or rather communities that try to work together and make the world a better place again? I don't think the first will work long because people don't like disturbances. Second one maybe yes, it depends which part of the world. If you were in the savage parts of the world who gives a fuck, not very different from their daily life anyway, it would probably be the "civilzed world" wanting to get their old life back if at least a bit with all their rules and limitations to have some sense of security.

I dunno, maybe its an early symptom of infection? 

I'm not saying KoS would happen, I'm saying there is no way any of the proposed scenario would happen. Therefore one is allowed to imagine it as one wishes.

DayBambies? nothx :)

Edited by Lykk

Basically what I think is that DayZ should build in mechanics that force players to either cooperate or coerce other players, rather than just forcing cooperation in a friendly manner.

Taking fresh spawns hostage in order to force them to do something for you and then killing them afterwards should be just as valid as asking them to help you.

and this is EXACTLY why people become hostile in the first place. you can't take a player hostage and make them do stuff for you. matter of fact.

you wouldnt do that in real life would you? if someone takes you hostage and tells you to do stuff or they'll shoot you.. well you better bring out a full metal jacket then because I won't do your laundry.

thinking people will 'help' you if you force them to.. is just ignorant. especially fresh spawns.. ohh I don't have anything and you command me to 'help' you.. just shoot me now and I'll respawn in svetlojarsk instead of electro or balota.

just saying DoctorBadSign thats not the way to go. you're either friendly or your not. simple as that. in your case judging by your manner of typing and your personal text your far from 'friendly' 

and this is EXACTLY why people become hostile in the first place. you can't take a player hostage and make them do stuff for you. matter of fact.

you wouldnt do that in real life would you? if someone takes you hostage and tells you to do stuff or they'll shoot you.. well you better bring out a full metal jacket then because I won't do your laundry.

thinking people will 'help' you if you force them to.. is just ignorant. especially fresh spawns.. ohh I don't have anything and you command me to 'help' you.. just shoot me now and I'll respawn in svetlojarsk instead of electro or balota.

just saying DoctorBadSign thats not the way to go. you're either friendly or your not. simple as that. in your case judging by your manner of typing and your personal text your far from 'friendly' 

You actually make an invalid assumption there, I am what you could call a friendly player. If I see a fresh spawn I'm way more likely to give them a can of beans than a shot to the face (depending on how they act towards me of course). If I see any player I would favour a friendly chat and even teaming up over killing or robbing them.

I merely accept banditry as a valid part of the game and therefore think forcing friendly cooperation would deny bandits their play style.

EDIT: And my sig is just a joke based on the infamous line from Skyrim

Edited by DoctorBadSign