Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Hardcore by default?

Today I accidentally joined a hardcore server and found that I couldn't enter third-person. Initially I thought this to be a problem with my keyboard so I ignored it.

To begin with I found playing the game in first person disorientating and even a little claustrophobic, but I've really warmed to it.

So it occurred to me, why is there even a third-person mode? People obviously abuse it by looking round corners and over walls, and I doubt that anyone shoots in third-person, so why is it an option in a game that is described as a hardcore survival game?

Playing hardcore is much more difficult but ultimately more rewarding. You need to be cautious. You can't check a corner without risking yourself and this is a good thing. The only downside is that for some people I imagine that the head bob will be disorientating as it was for me initially, and melee becomes even more clunky than it was before.

But for a game toting realism as one of its primary components, a third-person camera seems a little counter to this premise. 

• Like 7

Zooming around your own character while running or in front of beautiful landscapes gives you some special moments which I don't want to miss. It has its own atmosphere, different from first person but I like it sometimes.

The reason third person is in the game is because you currently have a 90* field of view, but in real life you have a 180* field of view, this is balanced by adding third person, as third person gives a 180* field of view.

Also, it is a game, yes it's a survival simulator but people enjoy third person. And the point of this game is to enjoy it. It really doesn't cause that much harm. If you feel certain that you must play in first person, just stay on the hardcore servers, because I guarantee if rocket was to remove third person, then once private hives come out, there would be moded servers with third person installed

Hm. Fair enough.

Zooming around your own character while running or in front of beautiful landscapes gives you some special moments which I don't want to miss. It has its own atmosphere, different from first person but I like it sometimes.

I have to agree. I like seeing my character running through forests and stuff - seeing him blend into the scenery if he's camouflaged, so I'm missing that in hardcore.

Still, the idea that people can peek round walls in third person bothers me a little bit, but I suppose you're right. Honestly I'm probably going to play on regular servers from now on since I only joined hardcore by accident. I've gotten used to being able to peek round walls and such.

• Like 1

Turn up your field of view if you want more than 90 degrees in first person view. I run mine about 3/4 full. it add a fish eye effect but you get used to it.

BTW I hate 3rd person games.

• Like 1

""people enjoy third person. And the point of this game is to enjoy""

By that logic, there should be a win button.

""people enjoy third person. And the point of this game is to enjoy""

By that logic, there should be a win button.

I do need a win button in my life... Nevertheless, I do not know if DayZ's community would react well to that kind of change.

I do need a win button in my life... Nevertheless, I do not know if DayZ's community would react well to that kind of change.

Some say 3pp is a win button.

I play hardcore.
I disagree, because I want to have a second character that I can troll around with.

I would agree with it, if there were the chance for another character in almost the same settings as hardcore.

Edited by kOepi

Well, it seems we have a best possible solution by having different servers which are open to anyone who prefers one over another.

Increasing FOV to life-like would require eyefinity/surround to be realistic. With one monitor, you are just squeezing in the proportions and ruining the field of view. I play at around 95' FOV most of the time.

I would rather have removed the zoom-in function with naked eye than 3rd person.

I would rather have removed the zoom-in function with naked eye than 3rd person.

I feel sorry for you to hear that. though in realistic distances in between objects a realistic eye has a much higher resolution then a monitor

PLUS

it has a much higher resolution, ability to distinguish between objects at certain angle: angular resolution.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_eye

I feel sorry for you to hear that. though in realistic distances in between objects a realistic eye has a much higher resolution then a monitor

PLUS

it has a much higher resolution, ability to distinguish between objects at certain angle: angular resolution.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_eye

I completely understand why it is there, don't get me wrong. It was just a comparison of two features and my personal opinion.

And don't feel sorry for me, I am alright :)

• Like 1

The reason third person is in the game is because you currently have a 90* field of view, but in real life you have a 180* field of view, this is balanced by adding third person, as third person gives a 180* field of view.

Also, it is a game, yes it's a survival simulator but people enjoy third person. And the point of this game is to enjoy it. It really doesn't cause that much harm. If you feel certain that you must play in first person, just stay on the hardcore servers, because I guarantee if rocket was to remove third person, then once private hives come out, there would be moded servers with third person installed

Third person doesn't improve FOV at all, it only moves the camera about a metre behind you.

I find that just giving people first person and only first person would make peoples ideals a little bit different, the hardcore community is very thinned out.

I'm guessing this is so because people don't like change a whole lot.

I made the switch once I picked up the SA though, only happy I did so TBH.

I feel as soon as you add third person, people are going to use it to gain the advantage in combat.

Oh yeah, and the whole see character argument. I think just add the running, wielding gun, aiming, walking, crouch, prone and all that movement to the inventory screen following the in world movements.

And I prefer to see my friends against the landscape from a first person perspective.

PLUS

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_eye

I like the feature, but would like it to be decreased slightly.

Because I think it has more zoom than the PU scope.

That or let us zoom in on the scopes and iron sights as we could in Arma 2 DayZ :)

Or a bit of both :D

Third person doesn't improve FOV at all, it only moves the camera about a meter behind you.

Actually it does. It is simple logic. In perspective, your FOV is wider, the longer the distances. Now moving your point of sight behind the actual character makes it wider in character location. It does not increase degrees of FOV but it does give you wider sight for short distances.

Leave third person be, otherwise kids will start whining, and big youtubers like frankie will start sucking at the game suddenly.

Leave third person be, otherwise kids will start whining, and big youtubers like frankie will start sucking at the game suddenly.

If you can't be tolerant towards others, don't expect others to be tolerant towards you.

And since we got it started, all the talk around 3rd person is just useless whine because there are already hardcore servers. That only shows you have nothing better to do than go around and get on people with useless crap. Seems like 1st person doesn't actually solve your problems, now does it?

If you can't be tolerant towards others, don't expect others to be tolerant towards you.

And since we got it started, all the talk around 3rd person is just useless whine because there are already hardcore servers. That only shows you have nothing better to do than go around and get on people with useless crap. Seems like 1st person doesn't actually solve your problems, now does it?

Im perfectly tolerant towards others, and as you stated, we have hardcore servers already, which makes it a pointless thread, pointless thread=pointless posts, so no need to start arguing here.

Im perfectly tolerant towards others, and as you stated, we have hardcore servers already, which makes it a pointless thread, pointless thread=pointless posts, so no need to start arguing here.

But what is the point of having pointless threads if there is no arguing in there?

:(

Add mirrors, remove 3pp, unite community.

I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war so pipe down.

As I see it, SA only has third-person because the mod did, and the mod only had third-person because Arma 2 did. SA is an alpha and it's supposed to be a hardcore game, so I see no reason why 3pp wouldn't be subject to change or removal. I've gotten used to first-person and although there are features of 3pp that I miss, having the game locked to 1pp makes the game much more rewarding and it assures me that there isn't a sniper on a roof staring at the floor so he can see me without me having any possibility of seeing him.

If people want to mod the game to reintroduce 3pp then that's fine, but I believe that the base game should be locked to 1pp, and it should be balanced around 1pp. Just because the FoV is 90, that doesn't mean it should be increased to 180 with a third person camera because, as far as I'm concerned, it creates more problems than it solves.

This is, of course, my opinion. I've only been playing hardcore for a couple of days now but I can easily see the benefits of it. To me, 3pp is just a tool for wallhacking and little more.

On the other hand, perhaps it's good that the game caters to casual gamers and, as has already been stated, the hardcore community is fairly strong. It's not too hard to find a 15-player server before midnight.

Yes, it's a relic. It is not in the spirit of DayZ and should never have been in DayZ in the first place.

Get rid of it.

Add mirrors.

In all means, no. There are options for both preference and neither should be removed upon that.

In all means, no. There are options for both preference and neither should be removed upon that.

Bring arguments bro.

Today I accidentally joined a hardcore server and found that I couldn't enter third-person. Initially I thought this to be a problem with my keyboard so I ignored it.

To begin with I found playing the game in first person disorientating and even a little claustrophobic, but I've really warmed to it.

So it occurred to me, why is there even a third-person mode? People obviously abuse it by looking round corners and over walls, and I doubt that anyone shoots in third-person, so why is it an option in a game that is described as a hardcore survival game?

Playing hardcore is much more difficult but ultimately more rewarding. You need to be cautious. You can't check a corner without risking yourself and this is a good thing. The only downside is that for some people I imagine that the head bob will be disorientating as it was for me initially, and melee becomes even more clunky than it was before.

But for a game toting realism as one of its primary components, a third-person camera seems a little counter to this premise. 

welcome to true pure DayZ experience ;)

more intense :)

more realism ;)

more fear :o

is feel like YOU ARE CHARACTER

not you are float behind character like radio control car :huh:

and when you having pvP is complete different level of enjoy and if you win is feel like real pure win you deserve because no assist from magic eyes ;)

real mans play 3PP:OFF :thumbsup: :ph34r:

• Like 1