Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Less obnoxious low blood effect

So I'm sure I'm not alone in considering the low blood desaturation effect to be obnoxious. I hate that being injured causes me to lose my vision permanently or until I can find a way to get healed.

I usually play alone so healing can be a real challenge, so if I get injured I'll usually spend the rest of my game seeing a re-imagining of DayZ in 1920. When I die I'm relieved rather than annoyed because I can see colour again.

Basically I hate it when games have an obnoxious "you're low on health" effect, constantly telling you "you're low on health. You're low on health. Hey, you know your health? It's low."

Now I get why it's in place and I can respect that, but I think it needs to be less annoying, so I propose this:

Instead of losing colour, a vignette (a shadow around the edge of the screen) becomes darker and darker. The vignette serves as a indication of your health, but it doesn't massively obscure your vision. Once your health or blood or whatever gets below a certain point, say, 25%, then you start to lose colour. This means that when you start to lose colour you really, really need to fix yourself.

So in summary, instead of losing colour from 100% to 0% blood, you only lose colour from 25% to 0% blood, and a different - less intrusive - visual indication as to your physical wellbeing is given for the first 75% blood.

I'll grant that this may still be annoying, and it'll be just as intrusive when you're near death, but at least you won't be seeing things washed out when you're pretty much fine.

How is it hard for people to stay at a healthy status? This is what boggles me, in 10-15 minutes i have a healthy status, or healing if i was damaged, and have 2-3 things of food and drink to spare if i get hungry or thirsty. And that's on a full 40 player server

• Like 1

yeah healing from low blood is not hard to do, nor does it take long with 3 blood/s when you have the healthy tag.i like the way it is implemented now and dont want it changed.  no beans foryou.

• Like 3

Sometimes I find plenty of food. My last character had two bags of rice and half a dozen cans of cola, along with 2 water canteens. But that's mostly down to luck of the draw. Sometimes all I find is rotten fruit, or if I manage to find a tin of beans I'll lose half of it because I don't have a tin opener.

Just because you can find plenty of food it doesn't mean that everybody can. For those that can't, which includes me some of the time, I find that the low blood effect is incredibly intrusive.

• Like 1

Speaking from a purely visual point of view, I kinda like the desaturation effect better for this purpose than the suggested vignette. It's annoying enough but doesn't really harm your ability to see when hurt a bit. Vignette could work when you are about to lose consciousness, as if the world is going black on you. My $0.02.

Sometimes I find plenty of food. My last character had two bags of rice and half a dozen cans of cola, along with 2 water canteens. But that's mostly down to luck of the draw. Sometimes all I find is rotten fruit, or if I manage to find a tin of beans I'll lose half of it because I don't have a tin opener.

Just because you can find plenty of food it doesn't mean that everybody can. For those that can't, which includes me some of the time, I find that the low blood effect is incredibly intrusive.

If you are having trouble finding food try moving to a lower populated server for the time being (Whilst loot doesn't respawn). 

Finding food isn't usually a problem. Finding enough food to get the "energised" status is. I didn't even know there was an energised status before I looked up how to heal, and I was only able to get to that status because I found considerably more food than I do usually. I doubt that I'll pick up enough to get my character consistently energised again in the near future.

Unless the server is absolutely stripped clean of all loot - which for me it has been once or twice - then "just switching servers" is just tantamount to server hopping, which is something I try not to do.

When respawning loot makes an appearance then maybe that'll change, but in my opinion the current system is flawed in that it is unnecessarily visually intrusive.

Step 1: Get the bright green (not dark green) Hydrated and Energized status by eating and drinking enough and then keep it.

Step 2: Get shot & lose blood.

Step 3A - Thanks to Hydrated & Energized start regenerating blood immediately after getting shot.

or  3B - Die of more gunshot wounds.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by TheKindred
  • Like 1

Did I miss anything?

You missed the part where that isn't the point.

I understand that healing without help from another is possible. My previous character had these status effects and it was grand. My problem is that for the first hour of that game my screen was black and white because I ate some rotten fruit (because I couldn't find any other food) and got food poisoning. 

Having a black and white screen for an hour is supremely irritating whether there's a way to alleviate it or not.

I have the same problem in games where your screen flashes red when you're low on health and it continues flashing red until you heal which can often be quite a long time.

I propose only that the visual effect denoting a low blood level is made less obnoxious.

Finding food isn't usually a problem. Finding enough food to get the "energised" status is. I didn't even know there was an energised status before I looked up how to heal, and I was only able to get to that status because I found considerably more food than I do usually. I doubt that I'll pick up enough to get my character consistently energised again in the near future.

Unless the server is absolutely stripped clean of all loot - which for me it has been once or twice - then "just switching servers" is just tantamount to server hopping, which is something I try not to do.

When respawning loot makes an appearance then maybe that'll change, but in my opinion the current system is flawed in that it is unnecessarily visually intrusive.

Switching to one empty server to help get started with food and maybe a weapon isn't really server hopping. Switching between 10-15 servers and looting one airfield/military camp each time IS server hopping

As for your problem of just not finding food or drink, do you stay on the coast? If so that is your problem, if that's not the problem then you just don't know how to loot : P Because i ONLY play on high pop servers and always find loads of food and drink

It's often been the case that I head inland and find that all of the small villages have been cleared out. It's probable that I've just had bad luck but, again, that isn't the point.

The point is that in the event that you do get injured and have no means to heal yourself, the screen effects are incredibly annoying. In one case I nearly died because I ate rotten fruit, so I got this irritating effect because there was no food. I was given an irritating screen effect because I had no food and then I couldn't get rid of it (without joining a fresh server) because I had no food. I don't have a problem with the way that healing works, my problem is with the effect that you get when you're low on blood.

That's it. I don't care if it's relatively easy to reverse the effects. My problem is that if you have the misfortune to experience the prolonged effects then it's annoying. It's not immersive. It's just annoying.

I love the low blood effect .. This game is realistic and a survival game so therefore the color saturation makes sense , if you had lost more than Half of your blood in real life you would start losing your vision/color and probly pass out.

You gotta have challenges too , so instead of just running Into cities when wounded you should always try and stay away and know that because you wanna stay alive you gotta just sit around eat food and water and start to heal yourself ,that's the boring part but it's exciting in the way that you

Know you survived something insane , which gives a sense of accomplishment as opposed to just killing every one taking a thousand bullets and having your health regenerate almost instantly with no visual side effects .

I really hate the grey, black and white effect. I try to enjoy a beautiful game but after couple hits the world just looks ugly and you want to kill yourself to get all the colors back. This is my most hated feature since the mod. The effect needs to be replaced with something else that doesn't make the game look like a shit.

I really hate the grey, black and white effect. I try to enjoy a beautiful game but after couple hits the world just looks ugly and you want to kill yourself to get all the colors back. This is my most hated feature since the mod. The effect needs to be replaced with something else that doesn't make the game look like a shit.

Solution = don't let your blood get too low. :)

It's even easier to do in DayZ retail than it was in the mod.

Maybe it's just a difference in opinion but honestly, I think the effects of being near death should be obnoxious. It kind of comes with the territory.

Edited by Mos1ey

To me that would be like removing the crawling/limping when breaking your leg. It way be annoying, but being disabled by the effect is kind of the point.

Solution = don't let your blood get too low. :)

It's even easier to do in DayZ retail than it was in the mod.

Maybe it's just a difference in opinion but honestly, I think the effects of being near death should be obnoxious. It kind of comes with the territory.

Yeah I can heal myself pretty quickly but still the effect should be something else or that the desaturation happens when you're really low on blood. Now it starts instantly after one hit. If I've lost 4/5 of my blood then i could accept the desaturation but after losing 1/10 of my blood the game starts to look bad.

• Like 2

Just don't take risks until you get the healthy status, no matter how long that takes. It should be the first thing you do when you spawn, before finding weapons and before going to high-pop areas. If you do that you shouldn't have a problem, zombies still aren't a threat unless you fire a weapon and open the portal to the magical zombie-realm, or try to punch a group of 5 of them.

And as somebody said above, the effect should be obnoxious. You're close to dying, you should be able to see a whole load of fuck all.

add tunnel vision and "the black dots" that pop up more and more in your vision when passing out.

I never have this problem.

Getting healthy is extremely easy to do, and healing after getting hurt is basically automatic as long as you are fully energized,

and I mean way past the point of seeing bright green.

Your max energized is way past the point of first seeing the bright green status. 

Your max energized it like 20,000 units while your max stomach and water are 4,000 units and you get the bright green energized at 4,000 units (dark green is at 2,500)

so that gives you 16,000 extra units of energy you can store!

Even after you get bright green energized, keep eating whenever you can until your stuffed. 

Run around for 20 minutes and repeat.

When I make an effort to keep eating and store that extra energy, I notice I can take an extra bullet or 2 sometimes.

The info I got from a You Tuber by the name of Merino Dayz - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YSGX22B6Z3k9-hJzJcz4w/videos

This is the info I wrote down. All info is from before that last big update, but I cant imagine it being to different.

measured in units

Stomach                           Water                      Energy

Max = 4,000                     Max = 4,000                Max = 20,000

Stuffed = 1,800   Thirsty - Green = 2,000            Hungry = 600

Fully Stuffed = 2,800                 Yellow = 1,000    Very Hungry = 300

Vomiting = 3,300                     Red = 0                 Starving = 100

Slow blood re-gen    -   Energized  - 2,000 energy (dark green) & 1,500 water (not thirsty = no status indicator)

(1 blood per second)

Full Blood re-gen     -  Energized  -   4,000 energy (bright green) & 2,500 water (dark green, hydrated) 

(3 blood per second)      Hydrated

This isn't about how easily you can get your blood back for now but suggest to change how the effect should change. This is the main point:

So in summary, instead of losing colour from 100% to 0% blood, you only lose colour from 25% to 0% blood, and a different - less intrusive - visual indication as to your physical wellbeing is given for the first 75% blood.