800px-Mortar_firing_Iraq.jpg

We need a bit of artillery to level down the cities for snipers.

I suggest a mortar.

Then the cool thing with it is, you can use the mortar rounds as an improvised grenade like how it was used in the movie Saving Private Ryan

600px-SPRmortar-1.jpg

or rig it for an IED:

preview_ied01_ca.jpg?x=14

There are also small mortars like the 2 inch mortar

794px-Allied_Forces_in_the_United_Kingdo

• Like 4

No...by the gods no.

*Spawn in*

Oh wow, nobody's looted this town yet!  Wow...there's lots of gear piled up on the road.

*THUMP*

Wait, what was that noi-

YOU HAVE BEEN KILLED!

• Like 14

How would this fit into the environment of a post-apocalyptic Zombie- / Infected-Game?

Why do you think this needs to be added to the game? Other than blow people and buildings up mindlessly I don't see what it could possibly add to the game.

We need a bit of artillery to level down the cities for snipers.

Ah, I see now. This is not a mil-sim, though.

• Like 3

How would this fit into the environment of a post-apocalyptic Zombie- / Infected-Game?

Why do you think this needs to be added to the game? Other than blow people and buildings up mindlessly I don't see what it could possibly add to the game.

Ah, I see now. This is not a mil-sim, though.

I smell troll (you can't really be serious)

I am not trolling! Only the fuel stations explode right now and we need a few bit more. We need something unique like an improvised mortar grenade and if you find the launcher, then you will be able to hurl them farther.

To prevent abuse, the launcher spawn very rare and the mortar shells spawn less frequently than the hand grenades.

For this matter, the 2 inch mortar is feasible instead of the big two man setup versions.

Edited by CGNoodlePot

It would be fun to shell the shit out of some people every now and again, but I dont think it would be good for gameplay....you know, with asshats and all.

• Like 1

It could be a good idea, if it was implemented correctly. There are a few problems with it. First of all, look at the post above me.

Second of all, it would be a stupid way to die, you could just set up outside of stary, then BOOM. Everyone's dead. It would be good if Mortars had about a .05% chance of spawning, and shells had a 2% chance of spawning. This is just my opinion, but everyone can say what they want about it ;)

I like this idea. If it was very inaccurate as you would need to saturate an area with a forward observer for balance. If done right it could make a player driven hazard. Also you could fire flares or smoke.

Edited by Dale Gribble
  • Like 1

An RPG would be a much better and less OP option.

On wasteland, Mortars were extremely expensive pieces, but once set up were virtaully impossible to find. And, (realistically) they had a very long range, something like Stary-Elektro. 

Implementing them would be extremely hard to, especially to do it realistically and for something as impractical and game breaking, it would be a huge waste of resources. 

While the RPG wouldn't be to hard or OP, and HE warheads would be perfect for clearing out sniper nests and for ambushes up to 800 odd Meters. And, they wouldn't be OP if they replaced backpacks and primary slot. Only useful if atleast two players are around to Fire and carry ammo.

• Like 5

those would be extremely rare

Not really. Every Battalion has a Platoon of several Mortars.

But there isn't enough room in all the bases combined on the map for a Battalion.

• Like 1

Old mortar rounds, sure I guess. Mortar tube, no thanks, spawn points will just get hammered with them

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 1

I'd like to see things like this only if they were:

- Difficult to find

- Not completely transportable by a single person

- Not able to be overly abused by larger groups of players

I'm not just talking about the mortar here. I'm talking about things like military vehicles, particularly the sort with mounted weapons, and other things like machine guns. These things should require a great deal of tools and searching and transporting parts and should ideally require multiple players to transport the components, unless some dedicated lone player felt like trekking back and forth across the map to assemble the pieces. I think that this would provide a great sort of end-game objective for many players and would encourage people to consider working together to assemble these things rather than murdering each other on sight all the time. Also I think that the fact that most of these weapons are cumbersome and not easy to transport or chase people down with would give them a degree of vulnerability to someone clever enough to flank them. As I'm sure most of you know, a standard mortar requires multiple people to transport and is not a fighting force in itself, it must be defended.

• Like 3

No, no, no, no, and just to make myself clear - no!

Mortars? Are you serious? In a post-apocalyptic world, with a bunch of survivors who did god-knows-what before the outbreak, you want to parade them around like a group of grade A soldiers, using mortars, RPGs and what not. You know what people would use the mortars for? For spraying hot places, killing people from distance just cause they could. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure, if it's worth the resources, and yeah I guess they should be extremely rare or maybe not usable by a single person.

However I like the idea of crafting mortar rounds into some sort of IED. 

If you can loot military bases, it only makes sense that you should find heavier weaponry as well. Mortars and big guns and what not. Also military vehicles, all the way up to tanks. I don't see why this wouldn't happen...

• Like 2

Tanks? Only if they would need the whole crew to be fully operational.
And I'm not quite sure why everyone thinks those bases should contain so much stuff... they look more like outposts really, a couple of barracks, some tents... that's it. I didn't see an armory, or a tank garage, or anything like that.

• Like 4

There is a perfect mission for your type...it's called Takistan Life. It even provides  the right environment ( desert like highlands like in Afghanistan )

They should really consider adding weight, encumbrance and fatigue to the game...

Edited by Enforcer

we will get improvised explosive devices, 100%.

but mortars...no, please no.

Only the fuel stations explode right now and we need a few bit more. 

Do they actually produce a visible explosion now?  Every time I've blew one up I just got that silly pop up telling me something is missing.

No, just no.

If you want mortars and artillery, go and play ArmA2 or ArmA3. :)

They would just be used to troll the shit out of people.

We need to be more creative! Small mortars are feasible in the game. Military bases should also contain these pieces because it should be. Just make it very rare.

I think these small mortars can't be zeroed if I am correct. So that means you will have to gauge and lob a few rounds before you get a hit.

It's a fire for effect weapon.