pacific_coast

apologists are delaying development.

"Everytime someone says "It's Alpha", this game takes a week longer to make."

at this point i think we'll be getting a notice that beta has been delayed to 2016 due to complications surrounding desync while removing supressors around dogs while on horseback

but someone will complain about it on the forums and the replies will be the same apologetic kissassery as now

there is something to be said about holding someones feet to the fire

stuff get gets done quicker that way

i don't get the level of fanboydom and excuses this community makes for the snails pace of development

the elitism is unjustified for a lot of you, yeah i played the mod too! and i read the alpha disclaimer... but...

is there a reason to follow the development to release anymore?

watching the introduction of all the shiny new features that pad the game and add nothing isn't going to fundamentally un-flaw this game, or make it worthwhile to keep playing through the next year(s?) until it is "finished"

running around with clanmates on Teamspeak is a stop-gap, an attempt to make the game "playable"

just because you aren't bored doesn't mean the game aint boring as hell right now

deathmatches in elektro are not the point of this game.

tldr = i wish people would keep it real, stop being tryhards and fanboys and actually talk about what could make the game better

also this was a rant

im still playing and will kos you and your companion pets

hope this remains interesting enough not to flop on release and fade into cult-gaming-obscurity

• Like 17

Alpher... ;)

Alpha-logo.png

Edited by lrish
  • Like 8

Alpher... ;)

not you too irish!!

nooooooooooooooooo

• Like 3

Alpha :P

dear god, no

anything but that... ANYTHING

i'm being crushed by the massive floppy alpha smacking me in the face!

• Like 1

"Everytime someone says "It's Alpha", this game takes a week longer to make."

Hello there

Ill have to pull you up on that. Give us proof when you make statements like this.

I too agree the mere yell of ALPHA! and (rabid fanboi-ism) is not enough in many arguments and discussions, but on the flip side nor is being a "hater" and making mountains out of molehills.

I dont see where you get the snails pace of development. Compared to many games the development is very speedy.

My only real gripe is the devs lack of regular communication that feeds visibly through all forms of communication. That is one area which could be IMHO improved. I dont have a solution to that though so dont make a song and dance about it.

Keeping it real is a good ideal but its a blade that cuts both ways.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

Hello there

Ill have to pull you up on that. Give us proof when you make statements like this.

JOKE

I too agree the mere yell of ALPHA! and (rabid fanboi-ism) is not enough in many arguments and discussions, but on the flip side nor is being a "hater" and making mountains out of molehills.

THIS GAME NEEDS MORE HATERS AND LESS FANBOYS, ESPECIALLY ON THE FORUMS, ERGO THE POINT OF THE POST

I dont see where you get the snails pace of development. Compared to many games the development is very speedy.

STABLE BRANCH HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN ALMOST A MONTH, WITH NOTHING ON THE HORIZON

My only real gripe is the devs lack of regular communication that feeds visibly through all forms of communication. That is one area which could be IMHO improved. I dont have a solution to that though so dont make a song and dance about it.

YES I AGREE, BUT DON'T TELL ME HOW TO REACT TO THINGS, DAD.

IT ONLY CUTS THOSE WITH AN EMOTIONAL INVESTMENT IN THIS GAME, IT ONLY HELPS THE CONSUMER

Edited by pacific_coast

Whats funny is many games spend 4+ years in development secretly (or at least quietly). DayZ has been in the public eye through its entire development. Yes it feels like its been forever, but it hasn't in dev terms. 2016 would be entirely acceptable to me if thats what it takes to do it right. Thats why they let us into development alpha.

• Like 3

By count this post alone, if true, has already added another 6 weeks to development! 

;)

• Like 4

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

Sure compared to many games the development speed may be quick however comparing to many games most of them didn't make 1/20th of the money that DayZ has made in Alpha.

Don't take it wrong though, I'm not saying they are bad developers, in fact they are extremely good for already doing something that Arma 2 and Arma 3 couldn't (coding well enough for the game not too be as unoptimized as arma 2 and arma 3 are). I'm just saying that they could definitely speed things up , adding the features itself is not the hardest part , the hardest part would be testing everything and making sure it has no bugs which is why I understand that it takes so long for them to push the new updates , however all or at least 90% of the bugs have been reported already and have had more than enough time to fix everything (IF they have a regular work schedule like most working people do). The features don't take that long to add UNLESS its really complex things such as something that completely defies the engine its being coded in , but then again they ain't planning to add something that game breaking yet so I don't understand what the delay is about.

PS: I have experience as a game developer and know several languages (Pascal , PHP , JavaScript, C# and have been in some game projects. Not as big as this one obviously but adding the features were never a really big problem).

• Like 3

Whats funny is many games spend 4+ years in development secretly (or at least quietly). DayZ has been in the public eye through its entire development. Yes it feels like its been forever, but it hasn't in dev terms. 2016 would be entirely acceptable to me if thats what it takes to do it right. Thats why they let us into development alpha.

yeah, if the SA was a ground up re-write with a new engine, ok.

but, the mod was:

a re-working of code from other arma 2 mods and used all pre-exisiting elements from arma 2.

the SA so far is:

a direct port of dayZ mod to RV3/arma3 engine.

so, no.

just more apologism.

• Like 1

Or.. people like you could not get all hot and bothered about anything until it comes out of Alpha and into beta stage?

We're testers. This is FAR from a completed game. Report bugs, find glitches report them. 

People need to understand this is NOT a finished product. If you can't handle the product at this stage of development, come back when it's near completion or it is complete.

• Like 2

Sure compared to many games the development speed may be quick however comparing to many games most of them didn't make 1/20th of the money that DayZ has made in Alpha.

just the fact that BI/dean hall banked the money and didn't use it to fund more employees is what REALLY makes me think this is kinda doomed.

yeah yeah i know two "hunting" coders were just hired!

Or.. people like you could not get all hot and bothered about anything until it comes out of Alpha and into beta stage?

We're testers. This is FAR from a completed game. Report bugs, find glitches report them. 

People need to understand this is NOT a finished product. If you can't handle the product at this stage of development, come back when it's near completion or it is complete.

I think you didn't read the post at all..

• Like 2

yep. i know.

everyone who says this is alpha, deal with it, is just giving the devs an excuse to drag this out, which doesn't help ANYONE long-term.

also, does the community, aside from some REAL testers, actually do anything to further this game?

no they just post reactionary defensive posts in between complaining about kos or getting awestruck at the implementation of a minor object getting a different color variant.

Edited by pacific_coast

but, the mod was:

a re-working of code from other arma 2 mods and used all pre-exisiting elements from arma 2.

the SA so far is:

so, no.

just more apologism.

Actually, DayZ is very far from a direct port. Also, it does not run on the ARMA3 engine although the actual engine utilizes some goodies from RV4. It runs on a heavily modified version of ARMA2 engine.

I thought I'd just correct you on that.

• Like 7

I've got some 160 hours logged so far, most of them have been really fun, that's a hell of a lot more than I get out of 90% of the games I've bought to date. Standard playthrough of a game is 15 or so hours, some as much as 40, so even if they scrap the game completely today I'd say I'd gotten my moneys worth.

Who the hell are you to demand a faster rate of updates?

When you bought the game was there some agreement on how often they'd come? Do you think the developers are actively trying to f*ck you over for shits and giggles by working as slow as they can? '

No? So stfu, get back in there and put a bullet through somebodys skull and be happy whenever they add a new hat or useless firearm. The game is fun today, everything they add is a bonus (well, except for the horrible desync and rampant character resets they added to experimental lately, could have done without that).

• Like 3

But it is an alpha. What other alpha games have you played that update NORMALLY weekly or bi-weekly? I seriously cannot think of any. This is the ONLY Alpha that I have seen regular updates in. Why piss and moan if they're fixing things, tweeking things for performance, adding CORE elements to the game i.e. Physics. I seriously dont get what there is to bitch about.

Oh and also

The graveyard will love this.

• Like 2

but, the mod was:

the SA so far is:

so, no.

just more apologism.

With the exception that they took a client based system and reworked it to an authoritative based structure, rebuilt the central database (hive) that Arma isn't meant for, and rebuilt all the systems on top of that- Did I mention things that the Arma engine wasn't meant for?

In a perfect world they should have switched engines completely, but that involves fiscal issues as well as staffing problems. They could buy a new engine license, but that would require not only the money (I'm sure thats not a problem anyways) but the time to train exsisting staff and then start modifiying said engine for they functinality they need out of it. OR they could stick with what they have (free) and know how to use (no retrain costs).

Its not apologism as you say, but facts.

• Like 2

You're overstating our role in the process if you think the posts here have an impact on their schedule. "An excuse to drag things out". What, you don't think these guys want this to be done? Actually making things stable before moving them to stable can take time, but is worth the effort. But there's nothing our words can do about that.

Actually, DayZ is very far from a direct port. Also, it does not run on the ARMA3 engine although the actual engine utilizes some goodies from RV4. It runs on a heavily modified version of ARMA2 engine.

I thought I'd just correct you on that.

Can you comment on what you are planning to do on the issues that look to be caused by the engine itself? I'm talking about:

- Desyncing

- Wall-glitching

- High Bandwith & Packagespamming until router cries

I'm really curious about these because i don't know if you will try to or even have the capabilities of fixing those.

And please noone give me a "this is alpha, optimization comes with beta, deal with it posts" now. Because this has nothing to do with optimization.

• Like 1

But it is an alpha. What other alpha games have you played that update NORMALLY weekly or bi-weekly? I seriously cannot think of any. This is the ONLY Alpha that I have seen regular updates in. Why piss and moan if they're fixing things, tweeking things for performance, adding CORE elements to the game i.e. Physics. I seriously dont get what there is to bitch about.

Oh and also

The graveyard will love this.

Forge