Sign in to follow this  
97ADU Doug

Players need an Incentive to value their life above gear

I have just read a very accurate thread right now that I believe is the number 1 problem with dayz at this present time:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/178830-players-are-more-attached-to-loot-then-keeping-character-alive/

The above thread is essentially pointing out that players value their gear above their characters life. I was just going to respond to the thread linked above, but decided that I could get this point across more effectively with my own thread.

As someone pointed out, there is no reward for having a character alive for such a long time.

As much as I don't really feel RPG elements belong in dayz, I still believe that dayz could benefit by giving players an incentive to keep their week old player alive, other than being able to keep their fully modded m4. To put this simply, in dayz's current state, if a player is held up in the bush, and said player is fully geared, you will find it futile to even attempt to force them to surrender, because getting robbed of all your gear, and getting shot in the head have the same consequences. It all ends up with you, and no gear. Thus why Dayz is such a death match at the moment. 

So there are 2 options here.

1 - Make player death more punishing, or

2 - Reward players for keeping their toon alive.

I personally prefer the 2nd option, as I don't really see a way to punish players any more then perma death. However, I think that simple things such as adding a fitness system, a greater immune system to disease over time etc. Nothing to give that player a game breaking advantage over other newer players, but just enough to make it more convenient. Iv heard this is already implemented, but perhaps add a system where the player does not need as much food/drink as the days go by?

Thoughts?

Edited by 97ADU Doug
  • Like 7

This is kinda similar thing that I was talking about in my "Full weetod fresh spawns" thread and I gotta say that I agree 100% with you. My suggestion then was 15-30 min timer if you die, so fresh spawns wouldnt try to punch everybody that they see. Anyways I think that players should get rewards such as perks like: making less noise when you walk, having less recoil when shooting, having little more health or something like that. These rewards should not be overpowered, just something that makes you think twice if you are planning to go to berezino to have some of dem beaaaanzz :)

Rocket said he liked the idea of character stats gradually increasing (i.e. more running = you can run for longer, repeated bayonet use to open a can eventually yields better percentages left over) so we can see that coming in eventually. The problem is that newspawns are still going to be reckless due to them not having gear or increased stats.

I would also like to see a timer when you die. One hour before you can join in again, or if the server restarts within that hour. Your body will be long gone, your hopes of telling your friends where the guy who shot you was are now gone.

Edited by omgwtfbbq
  • Like 1

God damnit tits, but I agree. It can even be kept within realistic perameters. If your body is conditioned to use only a certain amount of food a day, or run a certain distance a day it will become more efficient at those tasks. As well as becoming more immune to a locale's diseases over time.

God damnit tits, but I agree. It can even be kept within realistic perameters. If your body is conditioned to use only a certain amount of food a day, or run a certain distance a day it will become more efficient at those tasks. As well as becoming more immune to a locale's diseases over time.

Yes, so that way players will have an incentive to be conservative with their life, whilst NOT turning dayz into an RPG where veteran toons rule over all.

I've recently noticed how nice it would be to have an, what would you call it, "Experience System". I would like to see visual rank up stats that show you how your character is progressing in (Sniping, Shooting, Running, Heat-Exhaustion, Hypothermia, Swimming, Stealth etc.). 

Anyway, I want to make this post quick, and I want to say that implementing a system like this, would greatly increase players "willingness" to survive, and make the pros much more dangerous. Cheers -Crazy_

Oh look another one of these threads.

@OP i do agree certain skills/ability's such as increased stamina the more you run etc... is a good idea. Having said that prepare to be shot down in flames by the 98% of the forum who don't want to see any sort of skill/advancement system at all.

The responses will more than likely be along the lines of "Your character surviving is your reward for surviving"

Right now our only hope is the "extensive player interaction with the environment" feature that was confirmed. My suggestion is that they follow the same approach as minecraft hardcore, hope that by environmental interaction they meant we could build stuff??

Maybe I'm the odd one out? I am extremely attached to my character as we have

been surviving since almost day 1 of the alpha release. I do play often and some

sessions are much longer than others but I may play a little different to some.

I only run when needed and my decision process would be the same in real life, I

enjoy the challenge and the discipline. I have never shot at anything other than

zeds and rarely see anyone else even when there are 40 people online. I can take

along time before deciding to make my next move because I just want to

survive and certainly don't want to be murdered or die from a silly mistake.

I have worked hard to find and keep the great gear that I have by avoiding conflict and

staying hidden where possible. That may simply bore the crap out of alot of you but I really love the challenge

of keeping this ONE character alive as long as possible. If I was to get jumped by bandits or the like, I would do what ever It took to stay alive

and if that meant giving up my gear then so be it, I can always get more but I will never get THIS character back. If my character dies at some point and regardless of how, I will be a sad panda. I will then get a new character and start fresh which will be alot of fun. I guess i'm trying to say, I'm not one to just say "screw you and your demands" (if someone else has the upper hand) because It's not worth going on without my gear. This game to me  is about surviving and thats what I'm going to do at all costs even if it means having a viscious firefight at some point or begging for my life at the hands of a 12 year old, the outcome is the same, to stay alive.

Anyway I've hammered this point too long already, thanks for reading anyways.

Sorry if the text is all over the place, somethings wrong with my post box here.

• Like 4

So there are 2 options here.

1 - Make player death more punishing, or

2 - Reward players for keeping their toon alive.

Well, one doesn't go without the other, because if you get a reward for surviving longer and it is gone when you die, death is more punishment...

As omgwtf said..the devs stated in the Q&A from the 20.02 this:

Skills: It will mainly be passively skillbased. So as you get better at repairing certain things, you will be able to repair more and more badly damaged upt to ruined stuff. It won't be something you'll put a skillpoint in. It will only be the more you do it, the better you get at it

...but however, this will be in for a lot of things, but not for any combat-related.

See full summary of the Q&A here:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/

And a after-death timer...hm...yeah on the one hand good, on the other hand - I don't know how annoying it might be...

Edit: hm.....I was thinking about a timer that only comes into play if you die within an hour of spawning, but, well...that would only encourage the coastsnipers ;)

Well "extensive player interaction with the environment" can eman anything. From hunting to barricading, to building, to repairing vehicles to cutting down trees. (And at least the first 4 things have been confirmed to be in sooner or later)...so...yeah. :)

Edited by LaughingJack

I'm not too fond of a skill/ ranking system that effects gameplay in any way,

I -on the other hand- would be totally fine if it only would serve aesthetical purposes, like a special camo for your weapon or gear, or special kind of gears (i.e. medic uniform, engineer uniform/ boiler suit, maybe some bandit gears if people wanna show off their individual playing style/ job or just some very rare clothing you only can find in the game  when having survived for a certain time).

It wouldn't keep fresh spawns from charging into geared players though.

My current character was alive for quite some time and it took me like 15-20 hours to get all my gear, I killed 1 person only in that time as I'm trying to play a survival horror game and not just a different version of Battlefield.

So as much as punching is a legit way to defend yourself, I'm not sure if any kind of skill-system would keep people from running around and trying to OHKO everyone, as fresh spawns don't have to lose anything and are not long enough alive yet to feel like they will miss something when they die while playing Street Fighter.

Edited by daisho

Glad to see more of these threads because this is the biggest thing I want to see in Day z. No doubt character value should be greater than the value of loot.

Skill system would not change my play style as I play just like drewsta BUT it would give more depth into my experience of survival.

There's also other things that would make an impact like beards that have been talked about but also scars and maybe even fat if you eat too much lol.

The point is that I really want this game to bring more immersion by making my character evolve and change over time. That would make everyones characters unique and priceless
which equals less kill on sight.

Edited by DannyRed

Skill system would not change my play style as I play just like drewsta BUT it would give more depth into my experience of survival.

There's also other things that would make an impact like beards that have been talked about but also scars and maybe even fat if you eat too much lol.

The point is that I really want this game to bring more immersion by making my character evolve and change over time. That would make everyones characters unique and priceless

which equals less kill on sight.

Talking about unique, why dont they add some sort of t-shirt that can be painted so that you can draw something to the shirt. It would be emblem in games like bf4 or cod, but you can have it in your shirt. Actually same way that it is in Gta online :O

Maybe I'm the odd one out? I am extremely attached to my character as we have

been surviving since almost day 1 of the alpha release. I do play often and some

sessions are much longer than others but I may play a little different to some.

I only run when needed and my decision process would be the same in real life, I

enjoy the challenge and the discipline. I have never shot at anything other than

zeds and rarely see anyone else even when there are 40 people online. I can take

along time before deciding to make my next move because I just want to

survive and certainly don't want to be murdered or die from a silly mistake.

I have worked hard to find and keep the great gear that I have by avoiding conflict and

staying hidden where possible. That may simply bore the crap out of alot of you but I really love the challenge

of keeping this ONE character alive as long as possible. If I was to get jumped by bandits or the like, I would do what ever It took to stay alive

and if that meant giving up my gear then so be it, I can always get more but I will never get THIS character back. If my character dies at some point and regardless of how, I will be a sad panda. I will then get a new character and start fresh which will be alot of fun. I guess i'm trying to say, I'm not one to just say "screw you and your demands" (if someone else has the upper hand) because It's not worth going on without my gear. This game to me  is about surviving and thats what I'm going to do at all costs even if it means having a viscious firefight at some point or begging for my life at the hands of a 12 year old, the outcome is the same, to stay alive.

Anyway I've hammered this point too long already, thanks for reading anyways.

Sorry if the text is all over the place, somethings wrong with my post box here.

I like the way you play, and I'm very similar to you when it comes to my character, although I have died numerous times, and still haven't killed anyone or even shot at anyone. The fact that you kept one character and never been killed just amazes me.

Whether you will be able to keep this character going for a long time, I highly doubt it. However when you get killed first time it will make a lot of difference on how you got killed. If you get to exchange a few shots you won't mind so much, however when you get killed by "camping" players you will be very upset. You have spent so many hours with this character, played this game for what it is, a survival game, only to be killed by some coward, or even worse a cheat

This system will only add punishment to the ones getting killed. It will not keep anybody from shooting you on sight.

If it actually makes players to more care about their characters life, they will then more likely to avoid contact to other players...even more...

In short: It won't do any good but piss you off even more when killed.

Glad to see more of these threads because this is the biggest thing I want to see in Day z. No doubt character value should be greater than the value of loot.

And with loot being so easy to collect by just server hopping = character has absolutely zero value at the moment.

A skill/advantage system would be a great thing to add! 

Because one of the things that i hate the most these days, is that all the game developers focus on casual gamers. Everything has to be so easy ...

I would like to see the group of us that plays 4-5 hours+ everyday gets an advantage over the casual gamers. There should be som kind of skill level to optain.

But a death-timer punished is a REALLY bad idea. 4 of 5 times you spawn on a shitty place, so you have atleast suicide 4 times on the coast before you can start to play.

But a death-timer punished is a REALLY bad idea. 4 of 5 times you spawn on a shitty place, so you have atleast suicide 4 times on the coast before you can start to play.

No. Just no. You never HAVE to suicide before you can "start to play". Just spawn and start playing no mattern where you are...I ahve never suicided a char and still made it work. Just don't stick always to the same route...if you spawn somewhere, make the best out of it, instead of suiciding or running to the spawn point where you hoped you would spawn...

• Like 3

I agree with the concept here, and it would be a nice addition to the overall scope of the game, but unfortunately, bad players are bad and will continue to entertain us with their shenanigans. There is plenty enough reason to care about your character, and people that play this game with sense know this. The KOSers, COD death match wannabes, and bambi suiciders will never cease. You all do realize this, right?

I believe these people are needed to keep the game alive and to keep players on guard. If not, no one would be forced to venture north of Electro. And I wouldn't have the intense sense of worry, fear, and doubt each time I come across a town out in the middle of nowhere.

I was make similar suggest before  ;)

idea is make player when he fresh spawn is almost dead maybe 30 minute from die if he finding no food or water :o

and make system to going full health taking time ;)

this way every time you start to see again in colour and can relax the hunt for food etc YOU DO NOT WANT TO DIE :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

When I was playing the mod DayZero over at the BMRF servers my character had stayed alive 39 days, I was 2nd on the leader board (1st guy was something like 90 days and I was going after him lol). No, I hadn't been living in a bush. I'd been in several scraps and raids on airfields etc. One day, exiting devils castle I was catapulted off those wooden stairs and my life was over and I was pissed - for about 5 minutes.

I liked the leader board idea but there should be something on the start screen to tell you how long you've been alive for. Personally, I can set myself an objective of staying alive and gear is gear. Yesterday we logged into the server we left last night and were by the NW airfield. The server was empty and in the firestation we found 2 M4's laying on the floor with suppressor, acog, bipod, RIS hand guard and a butt ton of ammo. Gear is everywhere.

A leaderboard would be a great idea as long as they worked it so you couldn't just sit in a bush all the time.

Other things they could do would be to make you healthier. This would be making your hunger and thirst go down more slowly and being able to sprint further and having a less chance of getting infected.

To stop campers, anyone sat still for more that x amount of minutes gets buttfucked by a wandering zombie.

One idea I saw was a person suggesting; your character would be growing a beard over time. No one would want to loose their epic beard I quess, no idea what would happen with a female char though. Smoother/longer hair?