Sign in to follow this  
IshFingers

Doors - anyone home?

Simple one this: when you enter/loot buildings, do you leave the doors open or close them after yourself? Similarly, after you've left do you leave the door open or close it behind you?

I've been in the habit of closing doors after me on any occasion I think someone may be nearby, but notice that I avoid buildings which are open: either thinking they've already been looted or for wanting to avoid confrontation. But at the same time, if I'm looting I don't want someone seeing I'm in a building... Which kind of contradicts my own method of only looting closed buildings.

Thoughts?

Sometimes you can bait people by closing the doors in Elektro.

You can use this tactic to root out the people mowing down newspawns, make some noise and then they arrive, they notice a door closed that was open previously and that's your window.

• Like 2

I have started closing doors behind myself for two. Reasons 1 so I'm not as easily tracked and 2 it is a great warning system ( if you come out find open doors you know someone is there with you)

• Like 2

I've tried both strategies. Never noticed a difference between each. It's not like all the players on the server are going to look at your door, you know..

When just looting some small town I usually leave them open so others can see the town has been looted easely and they dont waste their time. On Airfields, big towns or other dangerous area's i close them so I can notice others opening them if they try to loot. 

If i'm looking for some PVP i'd also close doors hoping others would come in to loot (airfields etc :P)

• Like 1

Sometimes I'll open doors to buildings I don't intend to loot and run across town to loot over there. I shut doors behind me upon entering and exiting until I'm about to skip town.

I close pretty much every door that I open.  If I'm gonna be in an area for a little while, I'll close doors other people left open as well.  As you mentioned, this obviously includes closing the doors of the buildings that I'm inside.  However, keeping that in mind, if I'm in an area with lots of buildings that have open doors, and then I find 1 building with closed doors, I'm especially careful when I go about clearing that building.

Basically, like plenty of other people, I want to leave as little possible trace of myself when I move through an area.  Couple this with using doors as a sort of 'warning system', to see if someone else is in your immediate proximity and not closing doors, and you can really get the jump on someone.

always close doors behind you. open then wait to see if someone is camping the doorway.

open doors mean "this building has been looted/has somone in it right now"

• Like 1

Once they add in noises for opening doors, I'll definitely be closing doors IF I'm in a high-traffic area.

I close all doors myself. Every single one I come across, It bides time and is my safety net!

I find myself evaluating the situation more thoroughly, and play more cautiously.

Nothing beats the panic emotion when the door across the street is freshly opened. I nearly pee myself every time! 

Lately Ive been, while looting the NWAF and military bases along the western side, finding weapons and placing them in the open doorway of the front of the building. Like the jails on the NWAF, today I place an SKS on the front door step with the door open. All other doors closed and 99% of loot intact inside. I did it with a few M4s, couple SKS and 1 Mosin today. 

I hope someone found at least one of them and was like.. wtf? :)

Depends what I'm looting and what kind of mood I'm in. If I'm looking for a specific item and end up skipping over a lot of stuff I don't need I'll usually close all the doors after I leave, to let others know there is stuff there still. Though I usually only do this if I'm close to places newer people will be, in the North where people should know better, I tend to just leave them open. If I'm looting a military base I'll usually close the doors as I'm looting (to bring a potential adversary's guard down) and when I leave.

Lately Ive been, while looting the NWAF and military bases along the western side, finding weapons and placing them in the open doorway of the front of the building. Like the jails on the NWAF, today I place an SKS on the front door step with the door open. All other doors closed and 99% of loot intact inside. I did it with a few M4s, couple SKS and 1 Mosin today. 

I hope someone found at least one of them and was like.. wtf? :)

I sometimes like to collect all the good stuff (that I don't need) I find at places like the Vybor or Zeleno bases and pile them in a visible area, after closing all the doors. I can only imagine how freaked out I would be if I entered a seemingly unlooted base and came across a pile of weapons ammo and tactical gear. :P Alarms would be going off and I'd be diving for the nearest piece of cover.

• Like 1

Nothing beats that feeling of finding the barracks open, but the jail house closed, or the other buildings. You just know shit's gonna' go down very soon. Even on experimental at NEAF I found everything open, except the last jail house farthest from the hangars. Two guys came out armed. I was lucky I was close to the wall and they just waltzed out, didn't even see me. Me, I leave every door open if I am just looting.

• Like 1

I want the ability to turn a door into a jar.

• Like 1

I want the ability to turn a door into a jar.

I fully endorse this. ;)

Once they add in noises for opening doors, I'll definitely be closing doors IF I'm in a high-traffic area.

But won't you be making twice as much noise then?

• Like 1

But won't you be making twice as much noise then?

But you just opened the door anyhow... why worry about another 2 seconds of noise to shut it?

I mean you gotta open a door sometime, right?

Simple one this: when you enter/loot buildings, do you leave the doors open or close them after yourself? Similarly, after you've left do you leave the door open or close it behind you?

I've been in the habit of closing doors after me on any occasion I think someone may be nearby, but notice that I avoid buildings which are open: either thinking they've already been looted or for wanting to avoid confrontation. But at the same time, if I'm looting I don't want someone seeing I'm in a building... Which kind of contradicts my own method of only looting closed buildings.

Thoughts?

I always close. Simply put, majority of people leave them open, and you can "track" if someone has been there after you. Also, it is good for an ambush, especially, in 3P mode.

Close mostly unless I'm moving quickly. Sometimes I leave an interior door open after closing the main. Gets me every time I find that and gives people a pause I'm sure...

Where did you read that they will? I am curious, as I was hoping they would discuss this issue already.

I close the doors most of the time.. 

i do always close them in military zones. 

I never close the doors of the buildings I'm in. Why? Because many people leave them open once they leave. This tactic has worked out pretty well for me. I am more careful with closed doors than open.

This is especially good for the airfield. On populated servers there is no way the jails haven't been looted, doors open or not. By leaving the door open people might think nobody is there, while closed doors will always be suspicious.

Since there seems to be a majority that prefers to close all doors, even ones they found open, I think I will stick to opening all doors and leaving them open, thus revealing any "door closer" in the vicinity.

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 1

Since there seems to be a majority that prefers to close all doors, even ones they found open, I think I will stick to opening all doors and leaving them open, thus revealing any "door closer" in the vicinity.

I see what you did there... I'm going to open all closed and close all open to counter this countering strategy.

• Like 2