Meekalew

Regular vs Hardcore: Why do you play?

I'm going to give hc a try but realizing that I loose the 3d view kinda sucks then I realize other players also have to do it. Just seems more fun. Ima try tmmrw

I play 3rd person right now because my FPS is shite and 3rd at least stops the feeling of nausea (but I do occasionally play 1st person). It's really bad in cities on 1st person so I have to run through them bent over looking at the ground (bumping into things as I travel) so if u see someone bumping into things because they're bent over, it's probably me. So without any SA stories to tell, I can tell you of an encounter I had with my friends once when I was playing the mod.

There were 7 of us I think and we came upon a small town that we decided we'd loot on our way to wherever it was we were headed. We left 3 back on over watch whilst 4 of us went in. It was one of those towns you don't really expect to see anyone so we weren't expecting anything but we were still wary. So then a shot rings out and my friend goes down, blood spurting out of him and the 3 of us take cover. We know the rough direction of the shooter, and taking furtive glances out we can see hills which he's obviously on....somewhere.

The tension levels have just shot through the roof. Is he alone? Can he see us? Does he have friends flanking us right now? Where's the best place to go to try and get eyes out and locate him? Where are our over watch team? Fuck! Did we really leave them that far back? They're moving up but they have to take their time and look for other shooters. Nobody knows it's just one guy at this point.

So I'm in town, the sniper is shooting at us occasionally when he sees an arm poking out or something. We're also deliberately holding his attention so our over watch guys can move on him but it's so intense. Every time I peek out from cover, I'm thinking my face is about to be blown off (and knowing full well that at 4-500m away, things don't render like they do up close and you just feel more exposed). It's like every movement I make is like waving a giant flag shouting,"Hey fuckface! I'm over here shoot me!" 

Literally each time I lean out of cover, trying to find this guy I'm conscious that my movement will give me away and I'm in less cover than I think I am because of the way arma handles rendering. So that leaves me only a few seconds to lean out, quickly scan and duck back. I also have to relocate and watch my flanks because I don't know how many guys there are. Each move must be planned, do I sprint over there or crawl? So the next 30 minutes becomes a game of moving around the town whilst trying to do it stealthily and then peeking out to get difference angles so I can see different areas and at the same time, the 2 other guys with me are doing the same.

We could have bugged out but that would mean leaving our mate's gear behind and also, we wanted to catch this fucker. So our other team move up, working the ground they have to cover and covering each other as they move, scan, move, scan. Eventually we spot the guy on the hill as he moved trying to find a better spot. We called it in, our other guys then moved to pincer and in a few gunshots, the whole 30-40 minute engagement was over. I guess that scene from Saving Private Ryan is pretty close to what happened to us that day, unfortunately it starts halfway through....

Imagine the scene in the clip if they had access to 3rd person. How much tension would be in it - none. If I had been on a 3rd person server, the engagement would have been 10 minutes of us, huddling behind cover, using the cam to look over and at the hills, spotting him, calling his location and our mates could have 3rd person'd up on his ass from the rear. I would never even had to move because of the camera exploit. Because I was restricted to 1st person, there were all these other decisions to make on how to tackle the situation which made it 100 times more intense than it would have been in 3rd person.

TLDR? Learn to read fool! ;)

Edited by Jexter

I play ultra hardcore...that means some other game because nothing in DayZ is really hardcore. ^^

ah man, if only all these 'hardcore' players would spend less time spouting in the forums and more time in the servers we wouldn't have to listen to em whinge about them not having anyone to play with...

I play 3PP, I find it more challenging and a hell of a lot more immersive...

I barely ever use 3rd but have only just begun to play exclusively on hardcore servers. Not having third doesnt bother me but knowing that others can does. it's a crying shame that the advanced stances of Arma 3 weren't ported to SA though. I doubt I'm the only one that gets their vision obscured by mere inches when peaking through a window frame and wished they could raise or lower their head just a little more. The key to weaning players off of 3rd person is a full range of movement.

Yeah FFS ROCKET!!!! Helllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Put these stances in the game!

• Like 1

I play hardcore - cause 3pp in my opninion is cheating.

Hardcore is more nere wrecking and most immerse. 

I think i worked out why some people have the illusion the 3rd person is harder - they must be the guys that camp rooftops using 3rd person exploit to look at everyone below them? Or they camp behind a wall? 

Dayz isn't about camping someplace to kill someone. Well, obviously it is for some people who just pew pew.

Crossing an open field doesn't matter if you're in 3rd or 1st person view. Anyone scoping the field will be in cover anyway and if they're behind the hill looking over, that's not an argument for it being harder! It's an argument for making it blatantly easier for the person behind the hill!

The person on the field isn't going to be anymore disadvantaged in either view right? How can he be he's at the bottom of the hill. Neither view will allow him to look over it or look through trees so the advantage goes entirely to the attacker.

Now go to a 1st person only - the attacker must now expose himself. The defender is only better off now because his attacker must look around things to see and possibly give himself away. The attacker still has the advantage, massively but at least now he's not using god mode. Now the defender already has it hard but now the attacker has it harder, not easier. On a roof top the attacker has god mode in 3rd person, sat stationary behind anything  the attacker has it easy using god mode.

And everyone is forgetting the zeds too. When they are introduced properly, how easy is it going to be to use ur wallhack to avoid them?

In 3rd person view your basically giving sociopaths an easy time to KOS everyone they see from their camp spots and the only reason it doesn't end up in a game where everyone camps is because most of us are happy to run around looting giving the campers a target to go after.

• Like 2

I play on hardcore server because I accidently joined a hardcore server once after I died and I was too lazy to change to a regular server again. And now I have some nice gear and got used to the first person view. That's why I keep playing on hardcore servers.

• Like 1

I play both.

In Hardcore i am a scrambling Lone Wolf survivor, paranoid and stealthy.

In Regular i am DemonWiggle, jester of the land, man of a thousand stupid voices and a bandit who makes people take off their pants before i force feed them bleach.....(watch me on YouTube!!)

• Like 3

Yeah, I think after reading all of this, even though first person is my preference, I'll stick to regular. Quality of player reasons.

I enjoy the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd more. Ill deal with people using the advantage that currently comes with 3rd person.. Also want them to fix the advantage of third person while still allowing you to be in 3rd..

Staying just 1st person i dont know, I find myself getting sleepy playing in just 1st person... Theres more to the game than just worrying about assholes who use the advantage of 3rd person when it comes to "banditry" for me to just keep to playing in only 1st person servers. I play 1st person servers sometimes rarely, but only if i feel like just running around cherno and such to kill people.

In my opinion, I hope hardcore isnt defined by view come time when the game is out of alpha and beta. I hope hardcore is more so first and third person view, but with third person fixed so you dont have the view advantage as shown in the 2017 mod. Otherwise ill probably never fully play a "hardcore" server much.

Edited by cels

I know you can read Hauser...

To paraphrase a master swordsman and CIA spook extraordinaire: that word you keep using, I do not think it means what you think it means. How can 3pp be more immersive? Like you lose yourself in the realism of the world by viewing your life through a Google glass feed fed to you by a personal drone helicopter flying above your right shoulder?

Edited by Crooked Hauser

I enjoy the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd more. Ill deal with people using the advantage that currently comes with 3rd person.. Also want them to fix the advantage of third person while still allowing you to be in 3rd..

Staying just 1st person i dont know, I find myself getting sleepy playing in just 1st person... Theres more to the game than just worrying about assholes who use the advantage of 3rd person when it comes to "banditry" for me to just keep to playing in only 1st person servers. I play 1st person servers sometimes rarely, but only if i feel like just running around cherno and such to kill people.

In my opinion, I hope hardcore isnt defined by view come time when the game is out of alpha and beta. I hope hardcore is more so first and third person view, but with third person fixed so you dont have the view advantage as shown in the 2017 mod. Otherwise ill probably never fully play a "hardcore" server much.

I keep saying if you want to make 3pp fair then use a fog of war system where players and zombies only appear if in your direct line of eye sight.

• Like 4

Yes, we did...360 responses worth.

This isn't a thread about which is better, It's a thread about why you play; each to their own for 1PP or 3PP, but what makes you make your choice? :)

People playing 3PP Regular has no effect on me playing on 1PP in Hardcore, so it's not a matter that which someone else plays ruins another's, they're completely separate servers.

I would love to play both, but am forced to play regular as I get motion sickness about an hour into first person view. Sucks because I really like it, but i'm a puss when it comes to motion sickness...can't even look at my phone riding shotgun in a car. lame!

Yeah, as the other guy said, disable or lower head bobbing; it helps a LOT for motion sickness.

Yeah, as the other guy said, disable or lower head bobbing; it helps a LOT for motion sickness.

It can, but I knew a guy who couldn't play any FPS (even perfectly even floating head ones) without Dramamine. It is just the perspective and the constant need to shift the screen around to see anything.

I don't have that problem, but I am allergic to people with falsely superior attitudes, therefore I'm stuck on regular.

• Like 1

My attitude is even more superior as i play 0pp with my display turned off...

It can, but I knew a guy who couldn't play any FPS (even perfectly even floating head ones) without Dramamine. It is just the perspective and the constant need to shift the screen around to see anything.

I don't have that problem, but I am allergic to people with falsely superior attitudes, therefore I'm stuck on regular.

Why do you say that?

I see more people from 3PP bashing 1PP players than 1PP players bashing 3PP players in this thread, that said... it's not really about which is better. The servers are separate, you have choice of style to play.

I'm just curious about people and why they make that choice for themselves, not why other people suck for making a different choice (because they don't, it's just a play preference).

My attitude is even more superior as i play 0pp with my display turned off...

So lamecore. I play only using a Hawkian blow-tube for controls, my eyes shut, my headphones reversed, and a knife on a piston that drives through my brain if I die.

• Like 1

I like 3rd person because I always feel like I'm trying to pilot and uncordinated human sized mech when outside. I always go 1st person inside buildings.

What I would REALLY like is if while in 3rd person, anything not in LOS to your characters vision would be invisible; not terrain or buildings, but players, items and zombies. If anyone played Full Spectrum Warrior, that's how they handled it.

Unfortunately I think it would be hard to implement, maybe impossible since it could be something tied to the engine. Also, it could be REALLY jarring if not handled well.

Still, it would resolve an awful lot of the corner peeking and whatnot.

Edit:

I keep saying if you want to make 3pp fair then use a fog of war system where players and zombies only appear if in your direct line of eye sight.

This sums it up better.

Edited by Demoth