dayztester91

DayZ feels American

well im sure in an apocalypse your not going to care if the gear is american, Russian, polish, Japanese or whatever. As long as its FUNCTIONAL am i right? Or are the Russian ppl that stuborn and prideful with there own manufactured goods. Iv seen many Americans try to stick with "MADE IN AMERICA" products for the simple idea it makes them feel some bullshit superiority or patriotism but i really dont care where the item is made as long as it works good.

I generally agree and don't mind non-Russian specific things being in the game. In a world economy, there's going to be stuff from all over. That players are using the cowboy hats has more to do with the player base than anything in the game. There are Russian hats in the game.

For the guns, there are testing reasons they used (some of) the guns they did. The M4 takes attachments much more easily than the AK. The FNP takes attachments where a Makarov will not. The blaze is really the only mystery for me. It doesn't seem to have any unique mechanic.

Wait, what, Russia has no Walmart stores with half off specials selling American themed knock-off Chinese produced products or made to order military gear advertised on welfare check day?  WTF!

They should AT LEAST have a Mcdonalds! :O

Don't you people realize the zombie apocalypse in Chernarus was a result of American war mongering

• Like 1

Don't you people realize the zombie apocalypse in Chernarus was a result of American war mongering

no, the destruction of the entire planet will be the result of american war mongering. zombie apocolypse is smallfry shit like something china would do!

Don't you people realize the zombie apocalypse in Chernarus was a result of American Russian war mongering

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 1

I have an Idea... who gives a shit if its got a lot of american elements its got a lot of russian elements. the game needs to appeal to a wide variety of players. and sorry to say but a huge chunk of DayZ players are American. so why not give Americans something to enjoy in the game... not only that. they have pepsi and coke cola in every country... yes ill admit they need to diversify the clothing. why there is a backwards american flag on the tactical shirt is beyond me, but im sure they will get around to adding more cultural diversity of clothing and items...

but back to my point... who the hell cares... its a damn video game... whats important should be things like gameplay and fixing current bugs... and for gods sake putting the Z back in DayZ the game is about zombies.

PS: There is no official backstory to DayZ either so no one really knows the world that DayZ takes place in... it could be an alternate universe where America and Russia were Heavily importing and Exporting items to each other before the apocalypse... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

Whoa, someone needs a hug...or a sandwich.

Edited by Super_Duty

Alpha...FN isn't American. Neither is the Mosin or the CZ. Worry about this kind of detail when the game is in Beta or full release...not a few weeks into Alpha

You know, when you're marketing a game to mostly US players

The delusions of grandeur is strong with this one.

• Like 2

Hello there

There *is* a distinctly US feel to the range of the "current" weapons but as time goes on I am sure it will lean in favour of Eastern Bloc weaponry.

The main reason is that the M4 is one of the major "go to" rifles in game as its the only assault rifle at the moment.

Once some AKM or some such variant makes an appearance the Russki feel will be back.

As I said in a previous post, I live firmly in the UK but have kit and clothing from all over the world in my room, so Im happy to see "foreign" items in game, be it clothing or weaponry. (and I *really* dont get out much)

Give it a little time to mature to the full range of planned items before you judge too harshly, although its good to give feedback at all times.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 4

You know, when you're marketing a game to mostly US players, or in the future plan to.. it makes sense to have them feel "included".

Who ever said that that would be the case ever?

Who ever said that that would be the case ever?

The real question is why ppl feel so threatened about this in a video game? XD

You all act like were going to invade your countries and conform you to Democracy lol.

There seems to be more and more items in the game that resemble American culture or history.

When I first started DayZ because of a friend, I was told that this is a post-apocalyptic survival horror video game. The setting takes place somewhere in a fictionalised modern area of the Russian Federation. Initially, I agreed but as I played on and time passed, somehow it feels sort of American. You know, over half the firearms in this game are American. There's Magnum, M4, FN, Ruger, and finally, remington. We getting more?. The hats and clothing on the other hand, not many I admit but they do feel western. Cowboy hat, seriously? First the Magnum, now cowboy hats? We getting cowboy boots with spiked heels next?

I honestly don’t mind the game having American weapons and apparel but they shouldn’t be so many types and variants. American firearms shouldn’t even spawn in military bases or consist of half of the firearms in the game. In Russian military bases as seen in documentaries and amateur videos, one will expect to find only or perhaps mostly Russian made weapons, not Americans. It makes sense to find American weapons in gun stores in cities near the sea, not in military bases. I am sitting here wondering, where are the standard and popular Russian weapons? Where is the 443 Grach, and Gsh 18? And the classics like AK 47?

Come to think of it, where are the flags? I've been to cities, military installations, rural areas but no flag poles or Russian flags.

test.png

When I can read the signs all around the world then it'll feel American to me. Until then its some crazy Russian Scribbles all over them signs. 

• Like 1

The real question is why ppl feel so threatened about this in a video game? XD

You all act like were going to invade your countries and conform you to Democracy lol.

wat? No, I Was merely pointing out that it isn't aimed at US customers at all.

I too am also sick of how western this game has become. Can we please remove all non-Russian servers from the game?

It's a game.

• Like 1

wat? No, I Was merely pointing out that it isn't aimed at US customers at all.

Yes i know but ppl get so upset lol.

It makes no sense to limit firearm variants. That's my bottomline. Take away different skins (cowboy hats) and add some flags if you like, those only has cosmetic influence. But, when it's guns with different stats and different tactical uses, it makes no sense in limiting the game on this aspect.

Edited by Day Unit

The best part of this thread is the butt-hurt euro kids.  Thanks for the laughs.

I do agree that the game is a little too western influenced for it's setting, but you have to do what you must to appeal to the largest gaming community in the world.

you have to do what you must to appeal to the largest gaming community in the world.

You mean dumb it down for the masses?

• Like 1

You mean dumb it down for the masses?

No, and that just makes you sound like the typical American hating kid from another country.  Look at the statistics across all gaming platforms, there are more gamers in North America than anywhere else in the world.  If you want to talk about dumbing things down for the masses, that is something that applies to a certain generation of people worldwide and does not apply to any single country.

I was being a bit mischievous, but you deserved it.

Anyway, I think putting certain items/features in the game just to appeal to one particular (large) section of the target audience, even if those items are totally out of place within the scenario, then that is dumbing the game down for the masses.

I was being a bit mischievous, but you deserved it.

Anyway, I think putting certain items/features in the game just to appeal to one particular (large) section of the target audience, even if those items are totally out of place within the scenario, then that is dumbing the game down for the masses.

I wouldn't call that dumbing down anything for the masses.  That is just a smart way to generate more revenue.  

Dumbing things down for the masses would be something that impacts gameplay, such as dying but respawning with all of your gear.  So far, I think Bohemia is doing a damn good job not dumbing things down for the new  generation of entitled kiddies.