Lordocalot

This is why we should use ArmA III's Engine.

Arma 3 runs much, much better than DayZ:SA in its current implementation. I, however, prefer the dullness in DayZ:SA to that of the over-the-top vibrance of Arma 3.

• Like 3

I wouldn't have purchased the SA if it was in ArmA III's engine because my computer has trouble with it. DayZ runs rather well on my machine, which admittedly is getting on a bit, but it looks better and is smoother than I could get ArmA III to run.

I prefer DayZ's graphics over Arma 3. I personally think DayZ looks way better

I disagree. Arma 3 looks absolutely amazing. Not saying DayZ isn't amazing, just A3 looks more amazing.

How does the arma 3 engine run in comparison?  I've yet to mess around with the game, but I've heard from some people (not credible sources) that arma III runs better than dayz, while also looking better.

I haven't played much, but multiplay is horrible. So bad in fact, I can't play the game. I'm talking 5-7 fps, 15 if your lucky and my gpu is up to snuff.

I've made inquiries to friends that own it and they say the same thing. Game-breaking bad.

DayZ runs so much better than A3. Your sources are not credible.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Thats pretty, but <15fps is not. 

:)

ARMA 3 singleplayer runs very well for me on my rig, and, for the most part, has since it was in alpha. I create my own missions, and, even in a resource-hog town like Kavala, I'm able to run a squad of 5 through a gauntlet of enemy AI, civilians, and civilian vehicles (the latter two powered by TPW's excellent immersion mods) and still get 40-50 FPS with all settings maxed. As for online, I also occasionally play Breaking Point, and, so long as there aren't more than 30 players on a server, I get around 30-40 FPS in "cities", 50+ in the wild (but I do have to drop my draw distance and object detail a bit). It's a good engine with gorgeous graphics and, initially, I was disappointed that DayZ wasn't developed on it.

That being said, I don't think I'd get the same kind of performance on a Chernarus modeled in ARMA 3. Chernarus is much more colorful and detailed than Altis (which, while beautiful, isn't nearly as vibrant or diverse), so I can't help but think that much of the good performance I get from ARMA 3 comes from the fact that Altis and Stratis consist mostly of wide open, fairly featureless terrain and small, monotone buildings. Throw a lot of trees, colorful houses, large buildings, zombies, loot, AND players in there, and I fear the ARMA III engine just wouldn't cut it. For comparison's sake, try using some of the custom maps made for ARMA III. Admittedly, these aren't "optimized" for the game, but will give you an idea how ARMA III's engine deals with lots of foliage. One map - a really cool Pacific island map modeled after the Diaoyudao Islands - is loaded with palm trees and brush, and, once you step foot into it, your FPS drops dramatically. I've created missions on there, with a small coastal military base and a few shanty towns in the hills, and, with only 50 or so AI enemies (given very basic "orders" like patrol, or guard), the game ran like a slideshow. 

As it is now, DayZ is one of the most graphically pleasing games I've ever played. The weather effects, clouds, sunsets, god rays, etc make it one of those games that I often log onto JUST to be in the world and take it all in. To be honest, I'm actually shocked by how good it looks considering the engine they used, and, while it obviously needs tweaking, if Rocket's suggested performance increases offer even a 10 FPS boost in cities, I'll be more than happy that they stuck with this engine.

Edited by horrorview

Hello there

I get a far better framerate in DAYZ than A3.

But, my system is quite old.

DAYZ will never move to the "A3" engine. It just doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Somehow I have the feeling you have no idea what you're talking about...not.a.single.clue.

Were you even born 10 years ago ?

(if yes but you were still wearing diapers it counts as a "no")

ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 had much worst performances at their release.

Considering the fact that I am most likely older than you and being a developer myself (both games and apps) and before that being an avid gamer for a decade, yes I do have a clue. Arma 2 continues to have performance issues and its been out for years. The whole arma project has been flawed since Arma 1

Edited by sumusiko

Lets get back on topic chaps.

OFP also had its "issues".

The RV engine does indeed have its quirks but BI have been one of the few companies that actually bring out the open sandboxy milsim games I adore and they are unlikely to move away from engines they know and have indeed built, warts and all.

Rgds

loK 

Considering the fact that I am most likely older than you and being a developer myself (both games and apps) and before that being an avid gamer for a decade, yes I do have a clue. Arma 2 continues to have performance issues and its been out for years. The whole arma project has been flawed since Arma 1

What games have you worked on?

An engine upgrade purely for the graphics is something I won't agree on. The graphics on DayZ is actually fine. If they were to upgrade it, it will take god knows how long and their staff isn't exactly that of Creative Assembly or Bioware, you know, massive. Secondly, not everyone has high end computers. If they were to make it demanding, numbers will drop and the team, I think, still needs a lot of dosh.

This thread has perked my interest.

I didn't play much of Arma 3 as there was a lot of content missing at the start, however I am re-installing now to see what I missed. I sort of forgot about it after dayz came along.

Arma 3 ran very smoothly for me on SP when I did play and I was using high settings and a long draw distance. I unfortunately never got to try A2:CO when it was released but playing it with all the latest patches, A3 ran better with less fps drops.

I might try a mp session tonight with A3 to see how the fps handles.

On Topic: there was a reason why they overhauled the old engine to work with dayz sa.

dayz should not be on any arma engine at all 'cause it's utterly crap ...for being used in a mutliplayer game

(edited for the sake of not sounding trollish)

Edited by robophant

^ Robophant...

Dayz would not be dayz if it were not for the Arma engine. To the point "utterly crap" is a personal opinion and a pretty bland comment with no reasoning behind your thoughts.

All engines come with the good and the bad.

graphics are not everything - i prefer a nice gameplay before graphics

Transport Tyconn 4EVER Guys

Edited by Ozar

^ Robophant...

Dayz would not be dayz if it were not for the Arma engine. To the point "utterly crap" is a personal opinion and a pretty bland comment with no reasoning behind your thoughts.

All engines come with the good and the bad.

nah, may sound bland but the truth often is...

i understand your statement what with being not DayZ if not based on Arma engine. It's about the look and feels, i know

But the fact that this engine is not meant to be put in a multiplayer game is very obvious. There are major bugs that can't be fixed, no matter how hard they try to release patches and hotfixes.

I foresay there will be no fix for the very annoying bug which lets players glitch through walls while moving in a building, which makes you visible to everyone outside for a second.

Also there will be no fix for desync issues, no matter how hard the devs are working on server performance.

And the glitchy interaction between players and objects can't be fixed without changing the whole architecture of that arma engine.

It's just not meant to be played online.

(edited) However, i love his game anyway

Edited by robophant

What games have you worked on?

I have a suspicion he is full it. Dead giveaway below.

and before that being an avid gamer for a decade, yes I do have a clue. 

His profile says he's 33 which means he started gaming when he was 23? Sounds strange to me. 10 years ago Call Of Duty 1 came out. Who starts gaming at 23? I started when I was 4.

Edited by Bennet

Robo; Thanks for replying, let me further add

nah, may sound bland but the truth often is...

Again, I state; It was purely your opinion and no truth about it. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

But the fact that this engine is not meant to be put in a multiplayer game is very obvious. There are major bugs that can't be fixed, no matter how hard they try to release patches and hotfixes.

My understanding is, the Arma series have always had a big presence online. Not the mmo type but none the less still online. With the new architecture for sa we have the foundation set, and will not reap the benefits until later in development.

We are in alpha, major bugs are to be expected otherwise we would not be in alpha. Things will get fixed in due time.

I foresay there will be no fix for the very annoying bug which lets players glitch through walls while moving in a building, which makes you visible to everyone outside for a second.

Also there will be no fix for desync issues, no matter how hard the devs are working on server performance.

And the glitchy interaction between players and objects can't be fixed without changing the whole architecture of that arma engine.

It's just not meant to be played online.

Have you followed anything about this game and its development? You cannot say that it will not be fixed and that is the way it is. You are basing your reply to mere speculation and nothing more. Let me know of your thoughts in 2016 when we have a fleshed out game mate.

.(edited) However, i love his game anyway

I am glad, me too  :D p.s. sorry for derailing thread

Edited by Nuggit

Have you followed anything about this game and its development? You cannot say that it will not be fixed and that is the way it is. You are basing your reply to mere speculation and nothing more. Let me know of your thoughts in 2016 when we have a fleshed out game mate.

let's have a bet on this. If these bugs i mentioned are fixed by 2016 i will give you all the beans i can find. If not, i will get yours :)

Edited by robophant

I don't think you really understand how game development works. It isn't a case of use this engine, get these graphics. Graphics have very little to do with the engine. Most of it is to do with the map, modelling and texturing...

Chernarus is definitely a better candidate for DayZ than Stratis/Altis although unfortunately it is the more dated looking map. Most of the engine related things that make Arma 3 pretty (lighting, clouds, etc.) have already been ported into DayZ.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

Bet on Robo :D 

However only when the game is complete, we can't compare apples to oranges. I think you will be a little surprised what the end game will resemble compared to now.

Better start stockpiling mate, I am going to be hungry by then and beans will be hard to come by then  ;) I will make sure to stockpile a small cache just in case. In good faith I will spare you a can now  :beans:

• Like 1

When half the community has yet to see a sunrise or sunset in the game and understand the improvements done with the current engine.

I really think the day and night cycles need to be set appropriately for fun gameplay, and not immersive gameplay; realistic gameplay comes from a result of the cycle coming about, the features of the game and fun happening. Not from the passing of real hours matching in-game hours.

Edited by Strongtent
  • Like 1

Agreed Strongtent, It has been real fun scavenging whilst watching the sun rise.

Playing on the experimental as of late, server restarts in the wee hours of the morning or late in the afternoon. I have taken some really nice screenshots with the rise and fall of the sun!

It actually looks quite impressive and I find myself just trying to find some nice spots to sit down and take it all in.

Bet on Robo :D

awwright... :D

I think you will be a little surprised what the end game will resemble compared to now.

we will see. At least i can't get disappointed what with all my pessimism :P

Better start stockpiling mate, I am going to be hungry by then and beans will be hard to come by then  ;) I will make sure to stockpile a small cache just in case. In good faith I will spare you a can now  :beans:

same here. Beans taste of victory! :P

Edited by robophant
  • Like 1

you sir, are a retard.

Arma 3 is the worst performing game of the last 10 years in the gaming industry.

I run dayZ with 60 fps and I get a MAXIMUM of 16 fps on altis life mod Arma 3

Lol altis LIFE the worst mod ever made. You have it very badly set up.

I can confirm Arma 3 runs way smoother than Day Z or Arma 2 even though it has much better graphics- they have completely re-worked the mouse movement and aiming is much better. Arma 3 Breaking Point ( a game with literally hordes of hundreds of zombies) runs at 60fps even in big cities on my modest PC (i5 4670k and 660 graphics). No drops.I play in High texture settings with 1400 view distance. Day Z however constantly drops to 20-30fps in towns and struggles to hit 60. Altis LIFE is the worst mod for performance comparison - bears no similarity to day z\ standalone and completely rams the map with lots of crap.

Arma 3 has had many adjustments and updates so expect to day z to perform as good or better in future.

I also agree that they should have used Arma 3 engine or should transfer over regardless of workload it would benefit the game dramatically.

Edited by AgentNe0
  • Like 1