Sign in to follow this  
Nesuma (DayZ)

I am open minded about your way of playing DayZ, please tell me about it

Hello Guys,

I just want to start this thread to read a bit about your style of playing DayZ :)
I for example, am somebody who plays like an asshole. But sometimes I feel bad for it and after my last few rounds of playing I maybe want to try another style.
I know there are "heroes" and "survivalists" but what is fun in DayZ for you? When I play Dayz I walk from town to town trying to find the best things and hope for an encounter with other playes, which I hope to survive without them ;).
But what are you doing if you are (almost) "geared up"? Are you searching for bandits to be a "hero" or helping fresh spawns? What are you doing as a survivalist? Just walking around and hope you get shot to gear up again? I mean you do not kill anybody and at one point you have everything you wanted... so?

I am looking forward to hear your styles, maybe someone can bring me to try another way of playing this wonderful game (of PvP, jeah that is the point of DayZ in my opinion, surviving is boring because it rewards me with nothing?)

I take every evening at a time. Every life is so different and tons of stories to tell. I know I could stream but somehow the context is a bit lost in the streams, but onto the proper subject.

I enjoy every time I have to spawn anew. The anxiety of exploring the places for Phase Alpha - hiking simulator. Backpack, food, water and a trusty something to bash any trespassers of my living breathing space.

I enjoy the middle life, going lengths to rendez vous with the group, carrying extra junk for my buddies, bumping into strangers all the way, making trades, helping and murdering them as well if the situation requires a more definite and decisive outcome...

End life must always be bloody. There is no other way, either by zombies, friendly fire or group versus group. There are no heroes in DayZ. It is a myth. You may save a lot of people because you slay a sniper, but you might have judged the situation wrong... So the better is not to discriminate and kill anyone carrying a firearm other than yourself and the buddies next to you.

I only get attached to the character life, not the gear, because i change it so often. I get attached to that specific avatar life because of the great moments and memories. But then I spawn again and start to imagine a new life, a new path until I die again, drenched in blood.

I help fresh spawns as much as I kill them. Balance has its ways and whomever thinks balance is broken should have their motorcycle helmet split by a monkey wrench... 

Style is not defined by the way your avatar looks. Style is defined by how ADD and enrich other players gameplay as much as they enrich mine. If it is with violence, by all means, I welcome it. There's always a chance of survival from all situations.

On top of that I enjoy to engage in local chat sometimes with silly lore out of my avatar.

http://toomanykills.com

Nice but I've to admit that I'm a person who can't imagine a background story. I don't know why because in Skyrim or Fallout or what ever I actually like it to play a role but in DayZ I just can't. Maybe because there are not enough ways to personalize your character :/.
I think I've a quite strange philosophy. If someone needs help in DayZ I help them. If they don't need help, I kill them :D.

Edit: Oh and I hope that real survivalists are going to answer to this thread because I would really love to know what they are doing in DayZ

Edited by Nesuma

There are still no mechanics that promote civil activities.

You can have your background thought through but you cannot engage in the activities you'd want.

We have a squad "leader" that is very up front regarding his character - he is a stranded off Army Maintenance Contractor.

He is kind of a fixer and has great ideas on how to help the group and it is not the usual, let's gang up and run the loot.

Personally I tend to go with the flow and adapt to the situations. Even if kidnapped I'll try to stay alive no matter what. And behaving like the character I impersonate through local chat.

This is the most close to interactive free form pen and paper I ever saw.

• Like 2

Well, I don't RP either because I can't simply do it. Not due to game's limitations, but rather my own inability to detach myself from my own life. I kind of envy anyone who can.

But anyway, I play this game as a challenge - to survive for the longest possible time. My record is for 1.5 week.

Of course it would be no challenge if I picked 5/40 pop server and stayed in the woods, so I usually pick 39/40 and plan a route, usually encompassing the more dangerous locations.

Naturally, I either KoS, evade or withdraw, since those are the only valid ways to minimise risks in achieving my goal - the next time record.

EDIT: Oh, and I collect pristine Long Range Scopes as trophies. My last character had ~7 on him +1 on my mosin, so the person who killed me probably had a laugh. :)

Edited by retro19

In the mod, I played a Lone Wolf Survivor that would keep several small bases (a tent or two) stocked and would move between my main base to the these bases and keep them stocked.

Every now and again, I would stash my high value loot and head in to a town with a backpack, my axe, and some supplies to help new players. Got shot a lot ... but I helped more people than the amount of times I got killed ... so it was worth it.

Right now in standalone ... I just merely run from town to town with an axe and general stuff ... trying to meet people and help people if I can. If I get killed ... so be it. I will revert to my default style of playing when Standalone starts getting to the level of the mod ... but for now this is how I am playing.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to disagree with my playstyle, buts it's what works best, only been playing SA for a few days but played the mod loads, SA sorta requires a different playstyle due to the fact you can't just run to the nearest tiny village and find guns, ammo, food and enough water to last you for days. But anyways, when I've respawned I'll go in a low pop server to gear up, then once fully geared, head down to the coast and switch to a high pop server and take out bandits who are giving Bambi's no chance to get started and occasionally give a newbie a decent bit of low grade loot to get them off to a good start. Still remember when I was truly new to the game and no end of times I couldn't even get off the coasts due to the scores of bandits who were just sat waiting to kill me for no reason which almost put me off the game.

Hmmm. I'm more of a lone wolf type of guy. My playstyle involves cross country looting while making sure I dont get killed along the way. Ive recently started writing down stuff on paper and leaving care packages inside houses (the ones that dont spawn loot). When looting, I make sure to close doors behind me and I take only what I need.

I also usually carry a sewing kit because I like mending damaged clothing. Im a sucker for maps and I really try on every life to combine maps together.

leaving care packages inside houses (the ones that dont spawn loot)

I could be wrong but I don't think dropped items last very long... kind gesture though.

I'm a lone wolf aswell trying to survive, observing other do their thing while shadowing them from a distance. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I get spotted and chased down by some russians, but I find it a load of fun.

I never shoot at another players unless I get shot at first. I get killed a lot of times though because of this fact, but I don't rage about it. It's part of the game and I enjoy that tension. When I join a PVE server for instance I get bored easily.

When another player spots me I try to be friendly and do a little wave. If I don't get shot (let's face it, 90% of the time you will) I go the opposite direction and go on my merry way.

Edited by Grumpy Monkey

I try to survive, value the human life in a post-apocalyptic world, feed the bambi's, morfine/splint the crawlers.. we will have to repopulate eventually.

Tho this being a survival game, anyone that poses a threat to me, or any other member of the human race, will get neutralized.

When I am all alone, I feel no grudge for opening fire on a person that faces a possible threat, all it takes is 1 knockout and nobody to cover you, and you end up naked on the side of the road.

So you are telling me that every neutral survivor stalks other players, or try to get a "hero" by helping others? Maybe I'll try this one day. Buuuuut I guess I'll just go on playing my kos Cowboy :D

• Like 1

Yep Nesuma, paranoia has its proper place :)

We did this many times, just go through a town and we KNOW we will kill everyone in sight. 

I LIVE to kill kos players. It's the highest satisfaction one can get in dayz. I don't normally help new players by giving gear but will provide armed protection in some cases, if they seem trustworthy and respect my distance requirements. I never shoot a newly encountered player right off the bat and I haven't been shot in more than 6 weeks playing this way.

I use two play styles, mess around with my mates on 3rd person but they tend to camp out and shoot anything that moves.  Which if i'm honest is quite boring and after numerous times asking why did you shoot that guy who had nothing and posed no threat and getting the obligatory "It's a only f'ing game you pussae(sic)" response I switch to 1st person.

In 1st person I like to stalk around looking for the type of people I play with in 3rd person.  Moving covertly whilst listening to the environment for clues, as you near your prey that pounding heartbeat grows stronger exploding into adrenaline rush as the crack of gunfire begins.  Sometimes I die, sometimes I prevail but every single time I had fun.  

My guess is my mates will give up DayZ quoting it as boring and from their playstyle I can see why they would think that but for the life of me I cannot convince them to grow some bawls and try playing differently.  Personally I think i've fallen a little in love with DayZ such a rush but that does depend on how you approach the game.

I walk the narrow winding spindly road of the axe murderer.

A long standing tradition! There is something invigorating about it yes? ... On this path you usually don't just kill your opponent. You screw with their heads first. Nothing beats tracking a target for miles, waiting for him or her to present their vulnerable backside, or get stuck in a bean-eating animation. .. Like when someone goes into an apartment building, never knowing they were being tracked, only to come back down the stairs to see you standing between them and last flight down----A monolithic maniac in clown mask that had seemingly manifested out of thin air. You lunge forward, laughing in proxy a soul siphoning reverberation of the sick anticipation that had built up within you since you first started tracking your target as well as a newly found satisfaction in macabre indulgence of your work.

Edited by Rudette

I try to treat others how I'd like to be treated, so I don't KoS but I would defend myself (so far I haven't been shot or shot at while I had a gun).

mostly right now I'm learning/exploring the map so I play on low pop servers, but for the most part my interaction with people have mostly ended with us parting ways un harmed (I've been killed/shot a few times but  I think most of those were people being startled because we nearly ran into each other, or the couple times I lacked a mic )

I guess my "playstyle" would be, a survivor/explorer

I think the problem with "playstyle" with the Alpha build as is, is that it's too limited not to be pretty much PvP. In the mod I would be far more expansive in what I wanted to do.

Obviously as the game progresses, the more play styles will open up. After all hunting will be possible soon.

Hello Guys,

surviving is boring because it rewards me with nothing?)

My mindset has always been the whole survive thing. The reward is logging in every time to my same guy, still alive.

He doesn't hide in the forest and do nothing like people seem to think is what goes on if you are not on coast playing pew pew. We get all around the map, sometimes i may do ten or more total journeys over a couple of weeks with a char and in that time meet and help some guys, run for a while with some, have a couple of pew pew encounters. 

Some spots i really like to go and sus out even after so long playing the game, Green Mountain, Vybor, Krasno, the Castles etc, and at anytime someone can be watching, stalking so i try and play with a steady dose of paranoia, i love the feeling of the forest and the coming into the big open fields around Stary/Novy and other places, wondering if anyone is around. Being down on the coast doesn't give me this feeling as you expect it to be bedlam down there but i will venture to the coastal hot spots a fair few times with a char and pick a nice little spot and watch the shenanigans. Sometimes dive in and try and help someone, other times just watch and then leave them to pew pew it out in the typical Elektro/Cherno/Balota fuckfest. 

I try and weigh up the risk with most situations by hanging back for a bit and just watching, especially if i am alone..you would be surprised at how long a sniper may wait in a spot with minimal traffic for that shot. Waiting and watching brings many rewards, the big one being your own life. Always looking out for vantage points that are not the norm. Sometimes i bust my own rules and just run around like rambo thinking i am untouchable because i have been alive so long..in this way death comes.

I don't crave other player interaction as it is normally just my partner so we know what we are doing, a bigger group imo is to noticable and throwing in randoms generally makes us live a shorter but sometimes more interesting life.  We pretty much have a rule of no shoot first unless we have seen the other player kill or be a douche, we have had more friendly interactions in the the SA than kos though which is cool.

Basically we just journey around and take our time,sometimes we have a set goal for our session other times it is just , lets head here and see what happens.

• Like 2

I don't have no fix way for play :|

decision I make depend on situation

and every situation in this game unique :thumbsup:  ;)

but I have some rule I using as moral guide  ;)

#1 don't never shoot no gun guy unless he make idiot attack on me :huh:

#2 if i see you and you having gun/gear and I having some need (foods/ammo etc) I am sorry but you having bad day :|

#3 if I see you and I don't have needs (food/ammo etc) is lucky day for you :)

and is 2 rules I never breaking

Never use 3rd person pussy guy mode

Never use 3rd party assist (teamspeak/Skype/db map etc) >:(

I could be wrong but I don't think dropped items last very long... kind gesture though.

thanks. I know it doesn't really last long, but those new to the game almost always raid the wrong buildings. Hopefully, some of my care packages have helped newbies somehow.