Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

True. His extremist fanboys & the press have drummed up Rocket to be some kind of new messiah of gaming. In reality the guy is a two-bit concept artist at his best. Hell, my friends and I come up with interesting game concepts sitting around stoned in our basement every weekend. It's not that hard. [..]

True, I do too and millions of people do as well.

But he doesn't "come up with", he "goes and does them" in the middle of an industry that is growing decadent. Well, the indie wave is kicking the ant hill a bit but you get the idea. However, it seems that he's not a "completionist", which is a major problem because that puts him right back into the "you and me" category and as you said, we all came up with good ideas.

• Like 1

Also im about to go get some tacobell that shit is awesome. XD

This thread is now about....TACOS!!!

Discuss...

• Like 1

Ahhahaha. You really are dangerously naive. Over 5000 posts and not a single shred of wisdom about you. All talk, all ignorance. You really think with BI's intense record of producing feature-complete titles will transfer over to DayZ? Even with Dean "The hack" Hall working on it will never make the steaming pile of shit that is the RV better. Get this through your head - unless an extensive engine re-work is done or a change to a better, modern engine happens DayZ standalone is a fail before it ever took off. Getting a few lemmings to pre-purchase Alpha does not make DayZ a success.

I'm missing something, what's wrong with the Real Virtuosity 4 (RV4) game engine?

The Mod ran on RV3 well enough. They have all that content from RV3, why can't they write a script to convert the mods RV3 code to RV4 and at least have all the mods features available. Then leave it to server admins to figure out what they run, and players where they join? Rocket or not, you'd think they'd be able to do that much.

I thought that they started SA to surpass the Mod, I can't understand why the Mod's features are still missing at this point.

Edited by B0lt3r
  • Like 1

True. His extremist fanboys & the press have drummed up Rocket to be some kind of new messiah of gaming. In reality the guy is a two-bit concept artist at his best. Hell, my friends and I come up with interesting game concepts sitting around stoned in our basement every weekend. It's not that hard. He's not a visionary. Every word this guy says is worshipped by his extremist following. Anyone with half a brain can see DayZ standalone is a failure. Mainly its decision to use the RV3 engine killed it before it ever started. It truly is a terrible engine for nearly everything.

I wanted to see DayZ succeed when it first came out as a mod, but as the years rolled by I learned the hard way that the people managing the mod (and now the standalone) are incompetent hacks. That's what upsets me the most is the sheer incompetence. DayZ deserves a professional development team and it definitely does not have one now. Rocket is definitely no team leader.

Cut him some slack dude,let's be reasonable.

He has always delivered updates for the game till now,even though his content is currently unstable.

It's not hard to think about ideas,it's hard to think about ideas that work and succeed.

The guy's homesick,and i would be too if i were him.I have to agree about the engine though.

That was a big mistake of his behalf.For the moment beign you and i have no right to complain,game's still in Alpha,

but as you can see it's developing with fast paces.Secondly i would like to think that Bohemia is partialy to blame also,because it

sets limits to the team's creativity slowing them down,making him to "fight" over his game almost every day.

He's definetely trying dude,at least for now...

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

One of the greatest things about the DayZ SA is all the big studios saw how a survival genre game could sell 1.5Million copies for a early access Alpha....in 2yrs or less your going to see the major game studios start developing survival games left and right now that they see the market is there for them, finally professional development..

DayZ SA fun game on a bad engine, we need a fun game on a good engine....

Valve,EA,Rockstar.....pls

One of the greatest things about the DayZ SA is all the big studios saw how a survival genre game could sell 1.5Million copies for a early access Alpha....in 2yrs or less your going to see the major game studios start developing survival games left and right now that they see the market is there for them, finally professional development..

Valve, EA and Rockstar are not engines dude.. 

Those are not engines. They're companies! :P I think you meant, the Source Engine, Frostbite Engine, and Rockstar Advanced Game Engine.

Are you guys hiring?

Oh hey, you're that guy that wanted a quick buck and quickly made a kickstarter of something you made up. What was it, "No DayZ Later" and "The Edge of Extinction"? All of them at the beginning of the year?

Oh, here's a link to one of them! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/663271199/no-dayz-later

Edited by AntonioAJC

Rofl, ya, imagine EA attempting to create a survival game. Hey guys, check out this super fast paced quickscope survival game that you never run out of ammo or get tired from running.  Oh Rockstar, here's a good one.  Survive what?  Gang and titty attacks?  Your engines that you are hoping would create a survival game that would crash harder than SWTOR.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

reading thru all posts i got the feeling 80% only playin this game cuz they sympathize with deanrocket, cuz he's so smart, clever and such a nice guy...bla bla

acutally, thats whats the whole forum reflect - lookin to hundred of threads ppl always tryin to talk directly to rocket..: YO DEAN, COULD U PLEASE DO THAT AND THAT AND BLA.. they actin like dean does the whole work in a one-man project. instead of callin the whole devteam, you guys really think dean could done that alone...haha, thats not the mod and even there he didn't manage to take care of all the shit alone.

really, did u guys ever thought about it's maybe a improvement for the game dean goin to leave somwhere? breath of a fresh air and such? nah?

stop sympathize with a guy u never met and face, their better and equal designer/programmer then dean in the wolrd, BIS is goin to hire.

most important thing we need up in here is a sorted forum, some community manager and mods more stringent with their work (no hate, you do a good job, really, but the politic up in here is so wrong)

Edited by Guest

Rofl, ya, imagine EA attempting to create a survival game. Hey guys, check out this uper fast paced quickscope survival game that you never run out of ammo or get tired from running.  Oh Rockstar, here's a good one.  Survive what?  Gang and titty attacks?  Your engines that you are hoping would create a survival game would crash harder than SWTOR.

There is a market for survival genre games, someone will figure out a formula for a good engine and a decent game. 

DayZ SA almost has it, the ARMA II engine cripples it, no wonder Dean is leaving.

If anyone can do it it's one of the major studios that have put out some fantastic games. 

Survival has long been the forgotten genre of game development except for small indy games...it's sad.

True. His extremist fanboys & the press have drummed up Rocket to be some kind of new messiah of gaming. In reality the guy is a two-bit concept artist at his best. Hell, my friends and I come up with interesting game concepts sitting around stoned in our basement every weekend. It's not that hard. He's not a visionary. Every word this guy says is worshipped by his extremist following. Anyone with half a brain can see DayZ standalone is a failure. Mainly its decision to use the RV3 engine killed it before it ever started. It truly is a terrible engine for nearly everything.

I wanted to see DayZ succeed when it first came out as a mod, but as the years rolled by I learned the hard way that the people managing the mod (and now the standalone) are incompetent hacks. That's what upsets me the most is the sheer incompetence. DayZ deserves a professional development team and it definitely does not have one now. Rocket is definitely no team leader.

Couldn't agree more. What bothers me is bohemia gave him an upfront signing bonus and the title of project lead with the expectations that he would use the money wisely to open his own studio and hire new people.. He did not.

Instead he chose to use $100,000 of the signing money he made to go climb mt everest.. great..

And yet he still thinks he could go ahead and achieve successful creation of the standalone with just his handful of modder buddies? Get real

Plus dean hall just put zombie skins on the arma2 AI soldiers at first and it became a hit.. There were other arma2 zombie mods at the time that were even better, it just so happened that dayz had a catchy name and a creator who couldn't help but let everyone know about his military background so it just took off.  (in real war dean hall strikes me as the person that would curl up in a ball in a hole and cry for his mommy while holding his helmet). But where it becomes a problem is you cant go on to "STANDALONE" using the same smalltime mod mindset.. If you think about it he really can't do anything developer-wise. He can't even make loot respawn.. sad.. Everything about standalone just screams mod. Breaking your legs is just a prone animation, Melee items are just guns with an effective shot range of 12-36 inches, the new "jump" is just a reskin of the step-over animation.. The new weapon bayonets don't function.. It just seems like they have no clue on how to create something new unless the arma engine supports it. So yeah.. Its still just a mod.. And why wouldn't it be? Its made by modders not by game developers.

Edited by randalmcdaniels
  • Like 1

There is a market for survival genre games, someone will figure out a formula for a good engine and a decent game. 

DayZ SA almost has it, the ARMA II engine cripples it, no wonder Dean is leaving.

If anyone can do it it's one of the major studios that have put out some fantastic games. 

Survival has long been the forgotten genre of game development except for small indy games...it's sad.

Well, he's not leaving due to the Game's engine, but rather due to the game's "flawed concept". He wanted the ultimate multiplayer experience.

Wow, ever since he made the announcement of his leave, there was a rather... Big negative backlash...

Edited by AntonioAJC

Are we just making things up now?

According to an article in the Fukatani gazette ,Dean is under investigation by the tax department over alleged off shore accounts made and property's he had purchased in the last 3 months.

What had drawn the attentions of the tax department is the property had acquired  Rio de Janeiro.

The 16 room villa was owned by none other than Ronnie Biggs.

There is no extradition treaty between New Zealand and  Brazil,so there might some truth in it.

Dean Hall refuses to confirm or deny the allegations

• Like 1

This is why I kind of hate the idea of early access and alpha.

Its so easy to promise customers the world and give them a half finish POS with hopes and dreams on top.

That said I did buy the stand alone because once the SDK comes out the mods alone will be worth it.

Realistically I'm only expecting a few more guns and things from other Dayz Mods to be added into the game. In the end it will be a slightly better version of the Dayz Mod but nowhere near what used to be known as a full game.

This type of this in the gaming industry has been a long time coming.

It started with expansion packs turning into DLCs. Certain companies only creating a base alpha game and then selling patches calling them DLC as add ons. With the growth of the industry since the 2000s producing games has only become more expensive and time consuming. The very nature of community interactive chat with devs has compounded the problem along with instant feedback and trolling mechanisms like reddit.

No longer can a studio develop a game and put it out there without appeasing the casual player crowd or competing with large studios and multi million dollar products.

Mass appeal is what sells. And since most people have capable computers these days you're not marketing to the older pc gamer crowd that likes intense complicated thoughtful games. The money is still in consoles and games with mass appeal.

So welcome to CODayZ.

food for thoughts, some more conspiracy theory shit:

DEAN HALL AND KIMDOTCOM GOIN TO RULE THE WHOLE INTERNETZ.

1 INTERNET, 2 CHEF OF THE NET.

calm down, guys.

If this forum had fairly politic, this thread would be shutdown within a few minutes.

Its so easy to promise customers the world and give them a half finish POS with hopes and dreams on top.

That said I did buy the stand alone because once the SDK comes out the mods alone will be worth it.

Realistically I'm only expecting a few more guns and things from other Dayz Mods to be added into the game. In the end it will be a slightly better version of the Dayz Mod but nowhere near what used to be known as a full game.

It started with expansion packs turning into DLCs. Certain companies only creating a base alpha game and then selling patches calling them DLC as add ons. With the growth of the industry since the 2000s producing games has only become more expensive and time consuming. The very nature of community interactive chat with devs has compounded the problem along with instant feedback and trolling mechanisms like reddit.

No longer can a studio develop a game and put it out there without appeasing the casual player crowd or competing with large studios and multi million dollar products.

Mass appeal is what sells. And since most people have capable computers these days you're not marketing to the older pc gamer crowd that likes intense complicated thoughtful games. The money is still in consoles and games with mass appeal.

So welcome to CODayZ.

Woah woah there. This ain't Stardrive buddy. There are other developers working on the game you know? Dean just wants to pursue his other concept and ideas.

According to an article in the Fukatani gazette ,Dean is under investigation by the tax department over alleged off shore accounts made and property's he had purchased in the last 3 months.

What had drawn the attentions of the tax department is the property had acquired  Rio de Janeiro.

The 16 room villa was owned by none other than Ronnie Biggs.

There is no extradition treaty between New Zealand and  Brazil,so there might some truth in it.

Dean Hall refuses to confirm or deny the allegations

Now that is a really big accusation. Only one, ONE site reported this? Yeah, let's believe everything on the internet!

Edited by AntonioAJC

come on guys this is all pretty clear

Bohemia isn't thrilled with Dean's management style and how he runs the show - probably not Dean's fault entirely, this thing blew up real big, real quick and Dean never headed up a project of this size and scope before.

But hey Dean made this company a shit-ton of money, so it's hard to kick him out.  They probably put up with his quirks, loose control, odd management style etc... for as long as they could until it reached a breaking point.  I'm sure they had a serious talk about things and from Deans presser it sounds like he pretty much agrees with them. 

It's tough making a high profile game when you are a high profile personality in the business, which Dean definitely is.

I've - like a lot of others in here - felt like the development process to date of the stand-alone has been a pretty un-even experience.  Some features were implemented well, some oddly patched together.  The game doesn't wreak of tight control or clear vision.  Those things are hard to achieve when people are anonymous and in-sync.  But when one person dominates the show and has great influence (internally and publically) it has to be a nightmare.

Probably best if Deans goes off and does his own thing with full creative freedom and less pressure.

Good to luck to everyone, I actually think this will be a positive step for the future of Dayz

food for thoughts, some more conspiracy theory shit:

DEAN HALL AND KIMDOTCOM GOIN TO RULE THE WHOLE INTERNETZ.

1 INTERNET, 2 CHEF OF THE NET.

calm down, guys.

If this forum had fairly politic, this thread would be shutdown within a few minutes.

Suck more 9268d0b2d17670598c70045b0c7abf38. Back-seat moderating and 9268d0b2d17670598c70045b0c7abf38-sucking Rocket's wee wee.

Don't you got any dignity?

So welcome to CODayZ.

Lol COD-Z,but anyways come on don't exaggerate.Even if he indeed leaves sooner than planned the team is highly

trained in the field of DayZ.It will not be the end of the world.The only thing i would hate to see him do,is stick around

without having any passion for his own project.But i highly doubt that's the case from what i read earlier.

Have to be honest that I am not suprised Dean is leaving and that the standalone has kinda disappointed me... The dev team lacks the vision and they keep adding new things no one wants while the core of the game is broken.

And How is the core of the game broken ? It's fine ^_^ 

Impatient.

And How is the core of the game broken ? It's fine ^_^

Impatient.

Pls don't even bother to have an argument about technical matters on a game's engine.

Do what you know to do best. 6757dc94f2cfe296c21908c7f93e184a

This is getting a bit out of hand. People are already pointing fingers at each other, blaming Dean, yelling for refunds, and spouting nonsensical unsupported and just insulting accusations. It is as if people are already thinking that Dean is leaving RIGHT NOW and are just losing their shit.

I think I may just abandon the forums and stay on Reddit. At least over there they are not killing each other.

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 4

This is getting a bit out of hand. People are already pointing fingers at each other, blaming Dean, yelling for refunds, and spouting nonsensical unsupported and just insulting accusations.

Mass Hysteria. Dont know if its sad or funny. Mankind seems to be on the edge of extinction ^^

The Shitstorm is just the same on Reddit.

Edited by Sloddor
  • Like 1

Suck more 9268d0b2d17670598c70045b0c7abf38. Back-seat moderating and 9268d0b2d17670598c70045b0c7abf38-sucking Rocket's wee wee.

Don't you got any dignity?

stop actin like a DAC1A8B7EC229F02C49BEC10B1BA276C0BD9006F and re-read my post :)

i don't care bout dean or his future, cuz he's not important for me, nore the ongoin game - tbh, it's probably better he leaves asap.

next time, read - understand - post.

i wished mods would close down all thread belong to rocket, cuz it's not important/relevant.

Edited by Guest

Mass Hysteria. Dont know if its sad or funny. Mankind seems to be on the edge of extinction ^^

The Shitstorm is just the same on Reddit.

Shit, just visited the sub-reddit... NO WHERE IS SAFE! It's just better to lay down, hide, and wait for the all clear.

Edited by AntonioAJC