Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

This sucks but as long as dayz standalone does not turn into call of duty or battle field all will be good.

is this good or bad? 

i mean i would love to see whoever replaces him values bugfix over more contents

(and please don't give me "its alpha" crap i know what im talking about)

i got nothing against dean just to mention

so what would happen if dean leaves? 

whos gonna take over? whats gonna happen to dayz development progress?

• Like 1

You don't move up in life if you renege on a tonne of your promises and haven't got the staying power to stick to things. A lot of people hate their jobs, they still have to do them. Due to the success of the alpha, aka the money we've given him, he's clearly decided to say fuck it, and walk out. With the money we gave him. To go make a different game, with the money we gave him.

A load of broken promises, he's like the New Zealand Peter Molyneux, lots of promises, that's it.

I'll piss my pants laughing if he resurfaces asking for that early access money for his new project. Tarnished reputation.

His new project is called Tarnished Reputation? That's ironic.

• Like 1

Already a 30 page thread about it.

inb4 lok lol.

edit: that scared me lol, thought I replied to the original thread like a total retard. 

Edited by Geckofrog7

He's stepping down from lead developer, but does that mean he won't have some form of advisory position that allows him to give some input towards development while not actively being in charge of it??

Just don't give it to the guy who took the reins of the mod. I know quite a few Vice Squad detectives that haven't seen rape as bad as that troughout their careers.

Well, it looks like this conversations at an end.

L

ahhh you edited your post, i may choose to answer you later.

Just because I used sarcasm it doesn't make the post any less valid btw. And please don't try to do this "elitist" attitude bs... I'd expect better from a mature individual. "May choose to answer"... pfff. You asked... I answered.

Point being, you wouldn't have to deal with any of this if the words during the interview were better chosen. In this case, it was just bad. Period. Any point of arguing against is just silly.

Oooooh I see... you WANTED to have the extra work of having to deal with the extra load on the servers (which don't work worth a dang to begin with). You WANTED to have to ban people and link duplicate threads... I get it now... this was all about giving you some work because you were twiddling your thumbs the whole time! </end sarcasm>

As an IT person it pissed me off to no end when people do dumb sh*t and give me work that shouldn't need to be done. Being a little bit smarter can prevent you from having to react to someone else's incompetence. So, I'm totally floored that you're ok with all this mess.

In the military, if someone on my team caused a problem, the person responsible would have to buy beer for the entire platoon, or company for that matter... because whatever it was could have killed someone. It could mean that person was not a team player... now to be clear, because reading comprehension seems to be really low today (not implying you, in general I mean)... I don't mean that Dean's comments were life threatening... but it means he didn't think about the impact his statements would cause. And that... my friend... is NOT a team player, and probably why it's not a bad idea he's leaving...

Whoa! What military were you in that anyone could afford 30-170 beers?
  • Like 3

Does anyone else find it a coincidence that games development rate slows down soo much after they are put up for sale?

Think about nether..warz..7 days to die..rust.. These games are all slapped together in like 2-4 months time..Make a ton of money.. than right AFTER that the rate of development drops by like 1000% and we are just left with these tiny bi-monthly micro-patches?? Why are companies able to make the ENTIRE game in a matter of months than take TEN TIMES that amount of time just to add 10% more content??

This is why i think early acess is the worst thing that has ever happened to pc gaming.. Its like someone that needs to borrow $100 from you promising to clean your house in six months from now saying they will do a SUPER AWESOME JOB THE BEST CLEAN EVER!!! But by the time comes they will not want to do it anymore because they have already made/spent the money

Edited by randalmcdaniels
  • Like 1

I'd say the rate of development has actually been pretty quick. 

Also, consider that Dean Hall really hasn't been doing much of it (his team, which will still be here has)

But by the time comes they will not want to do it anymore because they have already made/spent the money

Name 2 games in which this has happened.

Sorry if this was said already but the thread is too long to read through everything.

It could very well be that he has a different vision the way the game should be build and developed going forward than Bohemia top management (I know from experience), which would also explain the 'doing your own company' thing. Besides wanting to go home. 

This is why i think early acess is the worst thing that has ever happened to pc gaming.. Its like someone that needs to borrow $100 from you promising to clean your house in six months from now saying they will do a SUPER AWESOME JOB THE BEST CLEAN EVER!!! But by the time comes they will not want to do it anymore because they have already made/spent the money

Even though I don't agree with you, I chuckled at that reference :D

This sucks but as long as dayz standalone does not turn into call of duty or battle field all will be good.

BI makes a game that is the antithesis of COD and BF, why the hell would you be worried that they will turn their zombie survival game into one?

Honestly, you guys need to take a step back and put down the pitchforks.  This isn't that big of a deal.  BI isn't suddenly going to morph into some other type of company just because an amateur from New Zealand, whose actual tangible involvement is suspect, is heading home at the start of beta testing.  Beta is for final shake down, not substantive improvement.  And the beta for Dayz will be pretty short I bet since we are going to see a huge amount of beta type testing towards the end of alpha.  

• Like 1

Does anyone else find it a coincidence that games development rate slows down soo much after they are put up for sale?

Think about nether..warz..7 days to die..rust.. These games are all slapped together in like 2-4 months time..Make a ton of money.. than right AFTER that the rate of development drops by like 1000% and we are just left with these tiny bi-monthly micro-patches?? Why are companies able to make the ENTIRE game in a matter of months than take TEN TIMES that amount of time just to add 10% more content??

comparing nether to dayz is a crime in my book! Nether dev's clearly never listened to the community while Dean listened to his community and was closely linked to it.

Also, the mods here are 1000x better than the mods on nether who went on vacation for a month and "nether" came back

I couldn't even afford a pack of smokes let alone a can of beer.

• Like 3

Sorry if this was said already but the thread is too long to read through everything.

There's people who actually read through all this?  :huh:

hehehe, I was in the US Navy and I was an FMF Corpsman attached to mainside EOD on Camp Pendleton for 6 months, then to 3/5 STA Platoon for 3 1/2 years and 5th Regimental Recon for 6 months. That being said... I once was made to buy cases of beer for our entire EOD unit because one of the handheld radios had a broken antenna tip. They said it was my fault... so I was made to buy the beer. The same went for anyone doing something illegal, such as handling several 40mm's in one hand or holding it in a hand that was gloved. SOP was 1 per ungloved hand. That is something that could cost someone a life or a limb. Hence making people buy something that was rather expensive, made them adhere to the rules and made them pay attention to detail... 

Besides that, I actually saved my money and didn't spend it at the local E-club's Westpac widows... ;)

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 1

There's people who actually read through all this?  :huh:

yea, they are called forum moderators, respect!

• Like 1

Name 2 games in which this has happened.

State of decay, Nether, 7 days to die, Infestation, rust, dayz, Betrayer... Pretty much all early acess games development rate slows down to a crawl after they are put up for sale

I like all the "He made $29 x 1.5mil" lines... Like BI didn't take any of the money and his team worked for free. Yes, he made good money off it. Yes, he announced he is leaving BI.

Let the man go home and set up his own studio.

• Like 3

If Dean got even a $500,000 I would be shocked.  He had no leverage to demand anything.  He was a mod maker.  I bet, had they wanted too, they could have developed Dayz SA without his involvement at all legally.  They asked him if he wanted a job.  He isn't a high demand individual.

Even though I don't agree with you, I chuckled at that reference :D

Ehm, who actually knows what %age of that money at all went to rocket and not all to Bohemia?? He's a developer, don't think he saw a million of that 25mil made... just my thought 

I like all the "He made $29 x 1.5mil" lines... Like BI didn't take any of the money and his team worked for free. Yes, he made good money off it. Yes, he announced he is leaving BI.

Let the man go home and set up his own studio.

Some people hate the me[n] that earn...respect

Edited by helcol