Sign in to follow this  
CloaknDagger

What to carry?

So I had a pretty productive day today. Went from nothing to 4 Boxes, The good pants, military bandolier jacket, shirt, and giant green backpack, magnum, .45 pistol, sawn off, M4, SKS, silencer, PU Scope, food, water, sewing kit, plenty of ammo, equipment for splints, medical kit, compass, and gun cleaning kit.

My problem now is that I am packed to the brim. Other than finding more boxes and doing box-ception, there's really no more room.

So, my question is, what should I carry? I probably have WAY too much stuff, and I feel like I can drop it.

An easy choice would be to drop the magnum, after all, I have plenty of 45. But I dont want to come across 357 ammo and not be able to use it if I do somehow run out of 45. But if I carry just an empty revolver, then it takes almost as much space as carrying ammo for it, so why bother.

Help forum.

Go over to Elektro and say hello to the locals, I find that normally frees up a few inventory spots.

• Like 13

Did you find a magazine for the FNX? Otherwise it's pretty much useless to you right now.

You should drop all the weapons besides the M4. You can only use one weapon at a time anyway. There will be plenty of items that you won't need and should leave behind.

Did you find a magazine for the FNX? Otherwise it's pretty much useless to you right now.

Two, one in gun, one reload.

The M4 has 2x30 round mags and a 10 round.

You should drop all the weapons besides the M4. You can only use one weapon at a time anyway. There will be plenty of items that you won't need and should leave behind.

I don't see why I should run around with gapping holes in my inventory, I mean, yes, the guns take up space, but I don't need 35 pieces of medical equipment.

I agree, either drop the weapons or head down to the coast and pass them on to freshies. If you can find a piece of paper leave a little note with them - "From CloaknDagger, with love!" :P

At max I will carry three weapons - My primary, a sidearm, and a holdout. The sidearm I will only carry if I can find a chest holster for it, otherwise it's just taking up space in my pack. The holdout is a Sawed-Off with one stack of 15 shells. That's there so that if I am made to put down my primary for any reason, no one will know that I'm holding the shotgun until it's too late. All it takes is one mistake on their behalf (not cuffing me, turning away from me, opening their inventory, whatever) and they're getting a face full of buckshot.

If I do have extra weapons on me it's because I am doing exactly what I said in the first paragraph of this post. :)

Edited by Nicko2580

- Food

- Water

- Bandages/Rags

- Morphine

- Ammo

- Main Weapon

- Secondary Weapon

- Melee Weapon

- Pen and Paper (optional) I like to carry these to write notes about supplies to other survivors

- Clothing

- Handcuff/Saw/Keys/Compass/Map if you can

- Handcuff/Saw/Keys/Compass/Map if you can

I don't really see the point of handcuffs, if I'm going to rob someone, I'm going to rob them dead. And I don't really need a saw since I already have a can opener, and the fireaxe doubles as a can opener anyway. So since I already have a sawn off, the saw is useless.

I don't really see the point of handcuffs, if I'm going to rob someone, I'm going to rob them dead. And I don't really need a saw since I already have a can opener, and the fireaxe doubles as a can opener anyway. So since I already have a sawn off, the saw is useless.

I don't know about him but I choose to dedicate two precious inventory spaces to cuff and keys not because I'm going to rob someone, but for more safely securing people who are a threat to me if it ever comes to that. I'm a fan of breaking assailants legs rather then outright killing them.

as for your space problems I'd ditch 2-3 weapons. look at it this way, sure you'll be passing up ammo for one gun or another but you won't need the weapons anyway, you ideally want a primary and a secondary, from what I know you'll want to ditch the SKS and the Magnum, preferably near the coast for freshies. you probably won't need the FNX and the sawn-off but as someone pointed out it's always good to have an extra hold-out. you'll find yourself with plenty of space, personally I travel light, nothing but my courier bag and a vest for my sawn-off as far as carry bags go, and I never really want for more then I've got (if anything I'd like to be able to ditch the vest).

drop fnx 45. and the sawed off and youll be fine, actually you dont really need any handgun so you could also drop the magnum, i mostly just use a mosin or sks and a fireaxe to finsih of the zeds

Right now you can kind of choose to carry whatever the hell you want, but if/when they implement the stamina and/or weight system, youll be thinking a lot more carefully about what you carry.

I don't know about him but I choose to dedicate two precious inventory spaces to cuff and keys not because I'm going to rob someone, but for more safely securing people who are a threat to me if it ever comes to that. I'm a fan of breaking assailants legs rather then outright killing them.

as for your space problems I'd ditch 2-3 weapons. look at it this way, sure you'll be passing up ammo for one gun or another but you won't need the weapons anyway, you ideally want a primary and a secondary, from what I know you'll want to ditch the SKS and the Magnum, preferably near the coast for freshies. you probably won't need the FNX and the sawn-off but as someone pointed out it's always good to have an extra hold-out. you'll find yourself with plenty of space, personally I travel light, nothing but my courier bag and a vest for my sawn-off as far as carry bags go, and I never really want for more then I've got (if anything I'd like to be able to ditch the vest).

Well it looks like fate wants me to travel more lightly. My sawn-off, after I fired one round, refuses to reload on R, but when I try to reload it manually in inventory, says it's full, despite giving me a click on firing.

So much for all that shotgun ammo.

Similarly, my M4 simply disappeared when I dropped it. It was in my hands, but not my inventory, and on switching weapons it wasn't on the ground either.

So Magnum + SKS + 45 it is for me, I guess.

atm the M4 fills all roles;

High capacity mag- don't need to switch weapon, reloads without needing to go into inventory

High powered cartridge- only 1-5 shots on a person, 1 for a zed

Accurate- Now I know it has piss poor accuracy but with magpul stock, bi-pod and acog whilst prone it can reach to 400m. Ask yourself why you are shooting people at 400m+

Ammunition- if you're brave enough you can get at least a couple mags from a military base or one of the airfields, and you'll be set for a while. Set to semi-auto to stretch for ammo out farther. 60 rounds = 60 zombies, currently you are only faced with 5-10 per major city. and you can use a melee weapon anyway.

As well as those it carries a whole host of attachments. Only downside is it can be challenging scouring the military bases and/or airfields for the gun and ammo.

Well it looks like fate wants me to travel more lightly. My sawn-off, after I fired one round, refuses to reload on R, but when I try to reload it manually in inventory, says it's full, despite giving me a click on firing.

Similarly, my M4 simply disappeared when I dropped it. It was in my hands, but not my inventory, and on switching weapons it wasn't on the ground either.

Make sure you file a bug report for the Sawed-off issue. 

Sounds like some sort of issue with those click loaders you find. Is that how you loaded it originally?

if you don't empty the gun entirely, at least in the current build, you need to right click the ammo in the gun and eject it before you reload, and because you have two primaries you would have dropped the M4 to grab the SKS off your back, and then it probably glitched out which is a shame, I've lost more then I care to admit to that (on my current spawn I've lost several ammo boxes containing hundreds of round).

either way, it's good to downsize your inventory, I used to constantly have inventory troubles but after I limited myself to the courier bag I figured out pretty quick what was and what wasn't worth carrying, now I still have the occasional space troubles but it's always because I'm being silly or impractical.

either way, it's good to downsize your inventory, I used to constantly have inventory troubles but after I limited myself to the courier bag I figured out pretty quick what was and what wasn't worth carrying, now I still have the occasional space troubles but it's always because I'm being silly or impractical.

This, I find, is the way to go. The Courier Bag is great because it has a low silhouette, fits in with grassy areas and woodland and it forces you to be selective with what you take and what you leave behind.

You dont need SKS, if you have M4. Sewing kit and weapon cleaing kit is most time useless. Better use them if you it and just drop.

The only way to reload the shotgun with R is if you have snaploaders, at least from my own experience.

You will have to empty the barrels of the shotgun before you can put in new shells I believe (haven't used it for a while so I don't remember, I lost mine due to a backpack bug which made it disappear like a cleared line in Tetris. But from what I remember I had to take eject before I could load new shells). If you drop something on ground level and it disappears, try waiting around a minute or so - it will usually spawn again. Sometimes they don't, then I guess you can just blame it on alpha, take a bite of the sour apple and continue on your merry way.

The only way to reload the shotgun with R is if you have snaploaders, at least from my own experience.

You will have to empty the barrels of the shotgun before you can put in new shells I believe (haven't used it for a while so I don't remember, I lost mine due to a backpack bug which made it disappear like a cleared line in Tetris. But from what I remember I had to take eject before I could load new shells). If you drop something on ground level and it disappears, try waiting around a minute or so - it will usually spawn again. Sometimes they don't, then I guess you can just blame it on alpha, take a bite of the sour apple and continue on your merry way.

additionally, if you drop something on the 2nd or 3rd or whatever floor (not ground floor) sometimes the items will spawn directly below you. learned that in the mil jail building haha

Go over to Elektro and say hello to the locals, I find that normally frees up a few inventory spots.

Priceless

My usual laundry list: 

1 fire axe

1 long gun

1 handgun (unless I have an M4 for a long gun, in which case a pistol is pointless)

Ammo (2-3 reloads for whatever guns I have. If you ever need more you're probably dead anyway)

Some bandages

A can opener

A water bottle (for emergency hydration)

That's all you really need, everything else is gravy!