Sign in to follow this  
OldWolf (DayZ)

22-30 FPS with GTX 780?

Hey guys,

I upgraded my rig last night. Installed a Geforce GTX 780, i7 3770k, 16 gigs of ram. I've notice that although visually It looks better, my frames are pretty low. Averaging 22 to 30. Occasionally it gets choppy for a second.

Is this normal for this set up? I was expecting much better FPS with this new rig.

Edited by OldWolf

Couple things!

1. Try updating your drivers! Could solve some of the stuttering. This may be obvious but it's something I didn't do properly when I first got my card.

2. Watch this video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ssjr36NKTE

There might be nothing you can do! I don't get more than 40fps on my GTX680 and most of the time I'm around 30. It's like there's this fps peak in the game. Some people can inexplicably get higher fps but for the most part I think people struggle. 

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 4

It is alpha so the game is not fully optimized yet and some days you might even find yourself getting a smooth 100 FPS.

What GPU load are you seeing? The last patch did some weird things...

I actually had to increase Textures and Qualities to get my 290 back to a steady 100% GPU load.

What settings are you using? No computer can fully max this game AFAIK - so you need to think about the settings you use.

Couple things!

1. Try updating your drivers! Could solve some of the stuttering. This may be obvious but it's something I didn't do properly when I first got my card.

2. Watch this video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ssjr36NKTE

There might be nothing you can do! I don't get more than 40fps on my GTX680 and most of the time I'm around 30. It's like there's this fps peak in the game. Some people can inexplicably get higher fps but for the most part I think people struggle. 

Thanks alot, def gonna try this tonight!

• Like 1

CPU info?

if your running 2.2ghz i5 or something with a fancy 780, you would might this issue.

im opposite, running a shite card (in comparison) 570, but with 4.25 ghz.

50-60 fps easy outside of cities, 30 inside.

cpu needs to be fast and no bottleneck also disable clouds known fps issues with it enabled.

at end of day the engine of arma is a bit sucky for optimization. most people regardless of how uber rigs are get lows of 25-30 in towns. hopefully optimization does occur at some point.

I know guy who have £3000+ gaming PC from god I would sell my girl for this shit ;)

super super fast SSD costing £1200 also 2 x 780 overclocked GPU

5.2 GHz i7 overclock super cooled etc etc etc and he getting sometime 20 fps in city on dayz  :D

game engine don't like i7 and don't give fucks for GPU quality

example I watch him playing BF4 on max settings doing fraps record he have 219 fps :D

he don't play no more SA but me I accept and my pc is not even 50% like this one :thumbsup:  :)

Edited by KoS

CPU info?

if your running 2.2ghz i5 or something with a fancy 780, you would might this issue.

im opposite, running a shite card (in comparison) 570, but with 4.25 ghz.

50-60 fps easy outside of cities, 30 inside.

This.

I'm running a i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz and a GTX480 and get 30-60 fps.  Outside cities its normally 50-60fps.  All settings High or Very High.

Edited by MadTommy

Hmmm still seems a little low i am using a 4770k at 4.5 and a gtx titan i get 40 frames in cities ( 35 in the apartment area and for some reason the city in guba bay ) and around 80 in the wilds. i would have thought you would get closer to the 30 to 60 range.

Also you mention it gets choppy for a second is this a new pc or an update of just a few parts of it??? if its an update of parts what health is your hard drive in as the game does constant stream of data from hard drive if it aint fast enough it can cause delays/ stutters it can even in extreme circumstances lower fps.. also again if this is just an update of pc what is the mother board slapping a 1000 dollars worth of cpu and gpu on a 40 $ mobo is never a performance achieving result...

Edit oh my settings are all very high except AA at 4x and PP at low as i dont like many of the PP effects but still want the ill health blur...

PS i LOLed hard at the doesnt like I7's comment...

Edited by SoulFirez

This.

I'm running a i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz and a GTX480 and get 30-60 fps.  Outside cities its normally 50-60fps.  All settings High or Very High.

It's not as simple as "this". I have an i5 2500k and I have tried it on DayZ clocked up to 4GHz, that's a 20% OC and I plan to try with a higher one, it didn't stop me getting 18-24 FPS in the larger towns and cities, in fact it didn't increase my framerate whatsoever. DayZ doesn't even use more than 70% of my CPU (and doesn't fully utilise any core), this issue is something to do with GPU utilisation taking a nosedive.

People with similar systems report varying results, some better than mine and some even worse. It's not as simple as "your CPU is shit".

This issue isn't hardware related. The game runs server side very well compared to the mod but the client side isn't optimized yet at all. This is normal at this point. I get about the same fps.

Edited by St. Jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RdXoofZqeaE#t=66

Is my reaction to anyone claiming 30fps or higher in major cities regardless of the system specs they're playing on.

The fact of the matter is this, any quad core CPU and recent mid to high end GPU will be underutilized by this game as it currently stands, you won't even get close to 100% usage on GPU or CPU, to the point where a 2500k provides almost exactly the same framerates as a 5 year old Deneb, when the 2500k is easily some 40 to 50% faster in real terms.

Something simply isn't right with the game currently, understandably so due to it being an Alpha, but that doesn't stop the issue needing to be addressed. So, lets keep it honest.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 2

Hi, don't worry, I'm getting 25-32ish FPS as well. In my case:

- GPU usually shows 20-35% usage,

- CPU usually shows 40-45% usage (never above 55%).

If you hope in some improvement in the future, I'd say forget about it. It's the same crappy engine Arma II uses (actually not exactly, it's the "Take On Helicopters" updated version). If they squeeze some FPS from it, I'd bet it'll be something like 1-2 for you, the rest will be lost in the moment, they finish the zombies and loot respawning.

Edited by Tupoun

It's not as simple as "this". I have an i5 2500k and I have tried it on DayZ clocked up to 4GHz, that's a 20% OC and I plan to try with a higher one, it didn't stop me getting 18-24 FPS in the larger towns and cities, in fact it didn't increase my framerate whatsoever. DayZ doesn't even use more than 70% of my CPU (and doesn't fully utilise any core), this issue is something to do with GPU utilisation taking a nosedive.

People with similar systems report varying results, some better than mine and some even worse. It's not as simple as "your CPU is shit".

You are correct.

What I meant by 'this', was the fact that on the Arma engine the CPU is just if not more important than the GPU. His CPU is clearly not shit but OP seemingly assumes (as many do) that its mainly about the GFX card.

Obviously you can't just cherry pick individual components, having a good HD, mobo & RAM will all affect this. 

Anyone who is having issues and suspects a bottleneck should use this application to test.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Below is a SS of a test I ran on another game. 

3ax7.png

• Like 1

Have you seen this guide at all ?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154330-possible-fps-enhancer/

It might help, goes into more depth. As the engine is at alpha stage this has not been fully optimized to work with any GPU ( AMD/Nvidia) and reach the max achievable output for the render engine etc. So at the moment, its more so down to the CPU/Memory to do the main work.

The other things you can do is check all windows updates are done along side with drivers updates and even getting the latest BOIS updates ( Only do this 100% if you know what you are doing as it can brick your computer )

its cause game only uses one core. hopefully they get multicore working.

This is incorrect. (at least for me.)

Just tested.. all 4 of my cores are being used by Dayz

Hi, don't worry, I'm getting 25-32ish FPS as well. In my case:

- GPU usually shows 20-35% usage,

- CPU usually shows 40-45% usage (never above 55%).

If you hope in some improvement in the future, I'd say forget about it. It's the same crappy engine Arma II uses (actually not exactly, it's the "Take On Helicopters" updated version). If they squeeze some FPS from it, I'd bet it'll be something like 1-2 for you, the rest will be lost in the moment, they finish the zombies and loot respawning.

You have a problem.

I'm getting 40-60 fps and my GPU is running at 99% usage and 80% GFX memory on my GTX480

I'm getting 40-60 fps and my GPU is running at 99% usage and 80% GFX memory on my GTX480

Try it in a town. People with exceptional machines are finding their GPU usage dropping like a stone in big towns, I get 99% usage in the country and woodland (40-60fps like you) then my GPU usage hits 50% once I go to a town (e.g. west end of Pustoshka, Cherno, etc.) and drop to 18-24fps.

http://youtu.be/9ssjr36NKTE

Not my video, but same problem. Check his specs.

• Like 1

the engine was optimized to winxp/dualcore

this shit is old tech

make your computer handicapped and it will play better

optimization is light years ahead right now

sigh

• Like 1

Try it in a town. People with exceptional machines are finding their GPU usage dropping like a stone in big towns, I get 99% usage in the country and woodland (40-60fps like you) then my GPU usage hits 50% once I go to a town (e.g. west end of Pustoshka, Cherno, etc.) and drop to 18-24fps.

http://youtu.be/9ssjr36NKTE

Not my video, but same problem. Check his specs.

I'll test further.. i was over looking Zelenogorsk when i tested..and it was at 99%.  

In towns i'm normally running at 40 fps.. I have noticed the odd time at 25.. but that is the exception rather than the rule.  But i'll run some test and see if my GFX suddenly drops in certain towns.

I'll test further.. i was over looking Zelenogorsk when i tested..and it was at 99%.  

In towns i'm normally running at 40 fps.. I have noticed the odd time at 25.. but that is the exception rather than the rule.  But i'll run some test and see if my GFX suddenly drops in certain towns.

I'd recommend trying Pustoshka or Cherno but maybe this game simply isn't optimised for newer cards. Your housefire 480 Fermi should not be making a mockery of a 760, if you're getting a 40+ framerate in big towns with high/v.high settings and I get 18fps on normal something is completely broken.

Edit: One thing that comes to mind is to ask if you're running any of those common .cfg tweaks, they significantly reduce image quality. For example I see people saying "oh I put my object detail to 250,000 but I am running with all my settings on high" even though object detail 500,000 (never mind 250,000) translates to normal on the in-game settings.

The only .cfg file options I personally mess with are the renderahead ones.

Edit 2: Last night someone told me to try -maxMem=2047 instead of -maxMem=4096, I just logged in and tested outside Pustoshka and it actually seems to have helped. I didn't check GPU usage but my framerate was ~28 instead of 18-24. More testing will be required though and I'll need to check utilisation.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina