Sign in to follow this  
OldWolf (DayZ)

22-30 FPS with GTX 780?

Guys, I'm running an i7 3770k 3.5 ghz, I didn't assume it was related to my GPU, I actually don't know what it is related to, which is why I'm asking.

I'd recommend trying Pustoshka or Cherno but maybe this game simply isn't optimised for newer cards. Your housefire 480 Fermi should not be making a mockery of a 760, if you're getting a 40+ framerate in big towns with high/v.high settings and I get 18fps on normal something is completely broken.

Edit: One thing that comes to mind is to ask if you're running any of those common .cfg tweaks, they significantly reduce image quality. For example I see people saying "oh I put my object detail to 250,000 but I am running with all my settings on high" even though object detail 500,000 (never mind 250,000) translates to normal on the in-game settings.

The only .cfg file options I personally mess with are the renderahead ones.

Edit 2: Last night someone told me to try -maxMem=2047 instead of -maxMem=4096, I just logged in and tested outside Pustoshka and it actually seems to have helped. I didn't check GPU usage but my framerate was ~28 instead of 18-24. More testing will be required though and I'll need to check utilisation.

I agree something is forked if the GTX480 is performing better than the 780.

To answer your questions, I'm running NO cfg or start-up parameters tweaks at all.  I wont be on tonight.. the pub beckons.. but this subject has me interested and I'll do some further testing over the weekend and see if i can make sense of this.

Edited by MadTommy

You are correct.

What I meant by 'this', was the fact that on the Arma engine the CPU is just if not more important than the GPU. His CPU is clearly not shit but OP seemingly assumes (as many do) that its mainly about the GFX card.

Obviously you can't just cherry pick individual components, having a good HD, mobo & RAM will all affect this. 

Anyone who is having issues and suspects a bottleneck should use this application to test.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Below is a SS of a test I ran on another game. 

3ax7.png

I didn't assume it was related to my GPU. I didn't post that anywhere. I wrote I upgraded my GPU and my processor and the frames aren't what I expected...

• Like 1

I have a 550ti.. and I get 45-65fps outside of major cities, and 30-40 within them. 

All you have to do is perform science on your video settings until you get that perfect balance of looks and frames. 

Plenty of help videos and tutorials, but just start messing with it yourself with fraps on so you can see the changes immediately. 

Go do science. You can get much higher than that if I can with Core2Duo 3.0ghz and a 550ti. 

I have a 550ti.. and I get 45-65fps outside of major cities, and 30-40 within them.

Go do science. You can get much higher than that if I can with Core2Duo 3.0ghz and a 550ti. 

• Like 2

For this engine its absolutely normal, the best way to boost your FPS is to overclock your CPU, GPU is almost irrelevant past a mid level card because of the CPU bottlenecking..

I didn't assume it was related to my GPU. I didn't post that anywhere. I wrote I upgraded my GPU and my processor and the frames aren't what I expected...

It was an assumption I made based off the title of your thread: "22-30 FPS with GTX 780?".. which does relate the fps to the gfx card alone.

misunderstood and assumed you had only upgraded your graphics card.  

You have a problem.

I'm getting 40-60 fps and my GPU is running at 99% usage and 80% GFX memory on my GTX480

Hi, nope I don't, they do (or actually I/we all do ;)):

- my GPU is limited by the CPU, so it can't run faster and thus only 20-35% usage,

- my CPU has 6 physical cores, one of them is sometimes running at 99%, the rest not, thus the 40-45% usage (never above 55%).

The trouble is the engine and it's "bottle neck". It's old Arma 2.5 engine used with the "Take On Helicopters" DLC, which served as a partial test for Arma 3 (especially the skies and volumetric clouds). Rocket himself somewhere mentioned, that there is no real space/possibility to improve this (he meant FPS on the client side), because it's part of some crucial "legacy code" and it would need very costly overhaul of the entire engine. Even Arma 3 engine still has this part of the code, but they've done what they could with the rest.

So the only way for me would be to overlock my CPU to get as much GHz for one core as possible, to boost up the performace, which would kill my comp.

Cheers.

• Like 1

This might explain partly why I'm getting good performance.  My CPU is watercooler and running super stable with low temps at 4.6 Ghz.

EDIT: also all my cores run with similar load.. all at about 60%..(if i recall correctly)

Edited by MadTommy

didnt rocket tweet a few weeks back that his dev team have been in contact with some hardware manufacturers and they apparently have given input on how to get more out of the engine with newer hardware or something?....i'm gonna go see if i can dig that up...

edit:  ok i found this here...

Significant changes in testing on internal version today. Major graphics optimization for clients in testing, major server optimization also

he goes on to say:

Dean Hall @rocket2guns Feb 12

@panzerschreckDE engine optimization, based on feedback from hardware manufacturers on their assessment of our usage of their hardware

Edited by mjf6866

The game is multithreaded, but not much. Also, as was said above, overclocking your cpu does wonders with this engine

Other than that, it's up to Rocket and his team to optimize further

Your not alone ,I got a evga acx780 with a i5 3450 @3.7g in the cities I get 22/25 fps.

Cpu and gpu load don't really go above 50/60%.

Lowered the quality settings to high messed around in the CFG files and I'm getting 30/35 fps in cities now.

It is alpha so the game is not fully optimized yet and some days you might even find yourself getting a smooth 100 FPS.

This game will never be fully optimized. I'm starting to lose faith in the development team, to be honest. They should have used RV4; RV3 is a stuttering, crappy mess. In Arma 3 at 1920x1080 with Ultra settings I average between 60-90 frames per second. With the same settings in Arma 2 I average 30-80 frames per second. No amount of optimization they do is going to fix the engine.

I'll test further.. i was over looking Zelenogorsk when i tested..and it was at 99%.  

In towns i'm normally running at 40 fps.. I have noticed the odd time at 25.. but that is the exception rather than the rule.  But i'll run some test and see if my GFX suddenly drops in certain towns.

Let's see a screenshot. My computer, my wife's computer and a friend who plays the game all suffer from severe CPU/GPU bottlenecking when facing the direction of a town/village within 1000 or so metres. We all have different components in our rigs. Not to mention the multitude of YouTube videos posted of people experiencing the same issue. If you don't suffer from this, you're the exception.

You said visually it looks better, you can tell the difference between your old rig and your new one by just by changing your new rig to the settings you had before, setting higher graphics will slow the computer. Anyway, yeah, do some of those optimization stuffs.. 

I've spent a boat load of time tweaking settings all over the game to get it to run smooth.

Currently bouncing between 2 systems.

AMD Phenom x6 1110T 3.7GHz

16 GB RAM
AMD 6970 2GB
2x OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Raid 0

&

Intel i7-3520M 2.9GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel HD4000 512MB
5400rpm Laptop HD

I've actually managed to get the Laptop to run fairly smooth in all places except Big Cities.  There i get 10-15fps.  Cherno area is just pure hatred on both systems.  It's taken numerous hours of research & tweaking to get good FPS on both systems.  But the 1 thing that still plagues me is getting decent FPS in towns.
Also the AMD Desktop Rig suffers from Z-Fighting and other flashing glitchy graphics only in cities..  Which is also driving me bonkers to fix.
I defeated a TON of my Z-Fighting issues by disabling ALL AA options in game & using AA Options from the AMD Catalyst Control Panel.

This game defiantly will run on just about any damn stupid system but getting decent FPS is a Science.