MissyX

What do a mute person do?

We had a person with hearing loss join our clan. Needless to say we couldn't let him join because he couldn't hear us properly. It was a tough call and we feel really terrible afterwards.

There are a lot of people with the rule of shooting silent players. I am sorry. Maybe if you can deal with this then you can continue playing. If not I would try other games.

That or try finding a program which would speak for you. 

Bitches cant shoot you if you shoot them first right in the kisser

Bitches cant shoot you if you shoot them first right in the kisser

the problem is that i don't like killing people in sight. I am a strong believer in giving people a chance before taking action. But i am thinking about changing my ways a little, and just kill people i see have a weapon, or at least knock them out, something i have had to do now a few times. But i always make sure they don't die. Cause for me the game is about out living zombies, not the people hehe

• Like 2

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

I've been playing DayZ for about a month or two and in that time I've never said a single word. Not because I didn't want to or didn't have the opportunity to, just crippling social anxiety. It's also kind of funny, with everyone voice chatting it makes even typing something very stressing because of that fear of judgement or maybe they'll think I'm lying or screwing with them like that one guy did with you.

I've even thought of proposing a social anxiety guild similar to the one I heard they have on World of Warcraft. You know, just a laid back non-pressuring and understanding community to hang out with, maybe a few designated "leaders" for people to play with and speak for the group... And maybe eventually help each other come out of our shells, work on CBT techniques, etc.

I don't know, DayZ in terms of the social experimentation, roleplaying, etc. seems like a much less lame "Second Life" type social escape; like the game would appeal to people like me that have certain issues socially. I'm sure a decent sliver of the really talkative people in game wouldn't be nearly as talkative or open in person. I don't know, that's just my take... Maybe I've misjudged DayZ from all of the youtube videos and word of mouth and its something entirely different.

Now I don't know the details of your mutism so, much of this might not apply for you, but if you ever just need someone to group up with I'd be happy to give you my steam name and meet under your conditions somewhere so you don't have to worry about it being an ambush. I mean I might not be able to speak to people either, but at least you'd have someone to watch your back, and hopefully I can eventually work up the nerve to speak in game.

You could also try some of the hero organizations where their credibility is their life... Like the trusted medics of the wasteland. Just next time you have a medical issue request help from them on their teamspeak or on their website. Let them know about your condition., And they should be pretty understanding. Also you won't have to worry about rogue elements within the group since they have a very strict initiation process... I joined their forum recently and keep thinking of trying to join but the anxiety has been holding me back, maybe when I get to the point where I can at least say a few words in game I'll try. Lol

Edited by Phoenix777
  • Like 1

the problem is that i don't like killing people in sight. I am a strong believer in giving people a chance before taking action. But i am thinking about changing my ways a little, and just kill people i see have a weapon, or at least knock them out, something i have had to do now a few times. But i always make sure they don't die. Cause for me the game is about out living zombies, not the people hehe

One of the things the girl I played with was really good at, and this is without being able to hear either, was never being seen.  You'd agree to meet her somewhere, get there, think you were all alone, and she'd come walking out of nowhere behind you.  Always in the shadows, you know?  Playing ninja style would let you always have the advantage of choosing to comunicate or not, and if you choose to do so, a friendly "hey there, no mic, but I'm friendly" as your first opening line should ease some tension.  If you get the better of someone and have that advantage of surprise where you could've killed them if you wanted to and choose to say hello, chances are been good you'll survive the encounter. 

Missy, 

I have a program called MorphVOX Pro. Whilst it is aimed at changing your voice.... you can add custom recorded sounds that you can bind to a hotkey.

I'm sure we can find a female to record various words/sentences for you to use :-) 

People with disabilities can have a hard time with multi-player games, whether its being deaf, color-blind, etc... I wish companies would find more ways to make it easier for them to play. I don't really have any advice other than what other people in this thread have suggested.

People with disabilities can have a hard time with multi-player games, whether its being deaf, color-blind, etc... I wish companies would find more ways to make it easier for them to play. I don't really have any advice other than what other people in this thread have suggested.

Yeah i agree, being forced to use all sort of programs just getting by in the game is a turn off from playing it, i have however found me some people to play a little with. But still i am mostly a lone wolf getting by in there trying to stick to places hardly anyone go to, and that only because i can't talk to anyone i see, and let them know i am friendly.

And i want to thank everyone who has send me PM's with offers, and especially to Jumling who found someone willing to record things i can use. The TA guys for offering a server to hang out on, and a group to play with aswell, and the rest of you who did PM me. It really means a lot to someone who is disabled to see that some cares and tries to help :D

• Like 3

I think the issue is people assume that the reason you are not using voice chat is because you're communicating with team mates via TS or Skype. 

I think the issue is people assume that the reason you are not using voice chat is because you're communicating with team mates via TS or Skype. 

That might be the case yeah ;)

10 days in, a update

I am now 10 days in to my game play of DayZ and every day has been a adventure in its own as a mute person, and here is how i feel it has been going and my opinion about it.

I have found a group to play with who is very understanding and great fun, but just like with other games we are not always on at the same time, and i find my self wandering the DayZ world on my own, and run in to people. Mostly my group of new found darlings hang around the north west airfield, but i tend to wander off all around that area and find a few people trying to live off the land there looking for food, drink and medical equipment as well and weapon and ammo to defend them self against bandits and zombies.

This last 10 days i have got in about 80 hours of game time in to the game, and with the exception of the group i play with have i found a friendly face, every time i see a person running around i try to get in contact with them mostly by sneaking up close and try to chat. And what i find is only hostility, and no interaction whatsoever. I have tried to use a text to speech program with no luck to try to explain that i am mute and can not talk. Most people who respond do so in disbelief and reply in rude remarks about being a pretender, retard and what not, so i ask my self why is it so hard to believe that someone like me and many others play games? Do people really think it is all that fun running around pretending to be mute for a giggle? And is that something many people do in DayZ?

If i was going to recommend a game to some of my mute friends, this game is not it. After 10 days trying to find people to interact with i have not found any that was even willing to believe me, not only being female but also mute. And because most of my mute friends happens to be females i don't think this is the game for them, even tho they might find it interesting to try out, the hassle that they would have to go trough just to find someone to have some interaction with unless they know someone who plays already is almost not worth it. On top of that i have had to deal with all sort of rude remarks when trying to get in contact with people via chat or trying the TTS.

Last i again want to thank all the people who have given their honest support in this post :D

edit, i forgot to add that i have not died yet :p

Edited by MissyX
  • Like 2

I am a mute person, as in i can't talk at all as i have no voice. So my question is, how will i go about playing this game as i can't talk to people. The other day i was running around in some small village not to far from devils, and i heard someone tell me to stop and don't turn around. I did, i dropped my axe, my backpack. Then this person ask me to reply to him, so i typed i could not speak and would be using text, and before i knew it the bastard shot me and said "stop lying"

And to day i was at the far east air port and two people with rifles ran just in front of me without noticing me sitting in a bush. So i typed "hey please stop" And ofc they would not do it, and i sort of felt i had to take them down, but before i could i 3rd player came and told them in voice to stop and lay down... guess what... they both did with in a couple of sec. I just slowly backed up from there and left the area.

So i guess maybe what i am asking, is there really a future for a mute girl in the game?

Ugh...I made a poll based on your topic a couple months back. Topic was named like "Do you kill players that don't have VOIP".

End results you have a 17% chance to not be shot. A 38% chance to be shot and 6% chance of being hand cuffed and fed rotten fruit....Upside being that 55% would be whiling to interact.

Poll had over 100 votes....

Your best bet is to type "Can't talk I'm mute" or what I would say cause they may not know what you mean at the moment would be "Friendly, Broke my fucking mic when I ran it over with my chair". You take that line and high light it and push "ctrl+c" then when you open chat in game you can have a ready typed out response just by pushing "crtl-v" to paste in your chat line and "Enter" to send/emit/announce immediately. I know what it's like trying to type after shitting your pants when someone rolls behind you and says "Friendly?". Cause at times I can hardly answer with my voice lulz .just my 2cents.

This may not be the information you wanted but I truly hope you try my idea. Even having a notepad saved with ready copy/paste responses may save you time and re-spawns. Dunno..Figure you can type faster than most.

Also the final consensus among the 38% who kill are also the ones who judge a player based solely on voice interaction. Body movement and whether a gun was in there hands also played a small part. The 55% that didn't kill you being based on time together "bonding" and didn't seem to care if you were armed or not while the last 6% were basically criminally insane...

-Edited for wrong stats-

Edited by RyBo

Just throwing this out there, but a mute person would probably type.

i will play with you and speak for you if and only if you pretend to be shizune

@op,

Hey i had this thought a few days ago, but i was viewing from my phone. What about making some keyboard or mouse macro functions that opened your chat window and typed in a message faster. This wouldn't take care of all situations, but it might help in some maybe. I think adding in some technical lingo to the explanation of being mute or some personal info, like "ive been mute since i was born", or, "since i was six", would add in a little something extra for them to consider, making it seem for legitimate.

i will play with you and speak for you if and only if you pretend to be shizune

You can go troll a other post if you like hehe

You can go troll a other post if you like hehe

All you have to do is pretend to be my Katawa Shoujo waifu, that's not a lot to ask for is it

I'm not trolling I'm actually completely serious

Edited by Altimor

@op,

Hey i had this thought a few days ago, but i was viewing from my phone. What about making some keyboard or mouse macro functions that opened your chat window and typed in a message faster. This wouldn't take care of all situations, but it might help in some maybe. I think adding in some technical lingo to the explanation of being mute or some personal info, like "ive been mute since i was born", or, "since i was six", would add in a little something extra for them to consider, making it seem for legitimate.

Problem is not the time it takes to text, when i find someone i have all the time i need to text. I play very careful and i have not been the one "found" yet hehe. The problem is outlined in my "Update" post on page 3

Found it...http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/163807-do-you-kill-non-voip-players/

Take a read. It sums up your issues and has 30+ responses on why they would or wouldn't. You can pick up a few tips I'm sure.

Seems like you have a chance..It's just you gotta keep trying. Also yes everyone lies in this game at some point so I advice going with my ready response from my last comment. Then after the encounter you can explain the rest. It's all about getting people to feel at ease.

Cause truth is I wouldn't believe you either. Not at first..

Edited by RyBo

Found it...http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/163807-do-you-kill-non-voip-players/

Take a read. It sums up your issues and has 30+ responses on why they would or wouldn't. You can pick up a few tips I'm sure.

Seems like you have a chance..It's just you gotta keep trying. Also yes everyone lies in this game at some point so I advice going with my ready response from my last comment. Then after the encounter you can explain the rest. It's all about getting people to feel at ease.

That tread was little helpful at all. It is just some people saying "i kill on sight" really. And there is a big difference between not speaking cause you can't be bothered or don't have a mic, to being actually mute and have no choice. And reading that post sort of makes me feel less worth in the game then people who can speak, because at least they are given a chance, whiles me who is mute would just be killed. What a lovely world we live in right? And why is it that people have a hard time believe that someone is mute?

That tread was little helpful at all. It is just some people saying "i kill on sight" really. And there is a big difference between not speaking cause you can't be bothered or don't have a mic, to being actually mute and have no choice. And reading that post sort of makes me feel less worth in the game then people who can speak, because at least they are given a chance, whiles me who is mute would just be killed. What a lovely world we live in right? And why is it that people have a hard time believe that someone is mute?

Lol, that's why I said 30+ the first 6 or so are all KOS due to a miss type in my posting. The rest are based on VOIP interactions...

In other words it fully applies to you in that regard. I meant no offense or bias by it. It's just that the game is heavily weighed on human interaction. VOIP being one of them. Whatever your reason for not having VOIP doesn't matter. You did read my part about you having a 55% chance of not having an issue? Granted based on a low number poll.

It just seems some people when not able to meet face to face weigh more trust in a voice for some odd reason. Be it a evil laugh after you ask if there friendly too hearing there cross-com with there hidden buddy over direct chat.

My only Idea I could think of was the copy paste paste response for a broken mic. After the guns have dropped let them know the deal if you feel so inclined (Reason in red above in my other comment). It sounded like you already have the tactics down when you get the jump on them.

I wouldn't take an emotional response from what others have posted. It's the internet and people are people. Stick to your core values and others may follow suit.

Again I mean no disrespect I'm sorry if I came off wrong or the poll/thread/comments. Keeping a thread on topic at times is like herding cats on fire...

Edited by RyBo

I am sure there are plenty of friendly people who would enjoy your company but I would expect to be killed by 99% of players you come across.

Lol, that's why I said 30+ the first 6 or so are all KOS due to a miss type in my posting. The rest are based on VOIP interactions...

In other words it fully applies to you in that regard. I meant no offense or bias by it. It's just that the game is heavily weighed on human interaction. VOIP being one of them. Whatever your reason for not having VOIP doesn't matter. You did read my part about you having a 55% chance of not having an issue? Granted based on a low number poll.

It just seems some people when not able to meet face to face weigh more trust in a voice for some odd reason. Be it a evil laugh after you ask if there friendly too hearing there cross-com with there hidden buddy over direct chat.

My only Idea I could think of was the copy paste paste response for a broken mic. After the guns have dropped let them know the deal if you feel so inclined (Reason in red above in my other comment). It sounded like you already have the tactics down when you get the jump on them.

I wouldn't take an emotional response from what others have posted. It's the internet and people are people. Stick to your core values and others may follow suit.

Again I mean no disrespect I'm sorry if I came off wrong or the poll/thread/comments. Keeping a thread on topic at times is like herding cats on fire...

I did read you're post, and i read all the post in the poll, my problem is that the people you talk about and the others in that tread has a choice, where i don't, short of having one of my friends record a whole set of sentences and words and use a soundboard or text, i don't have a choice. Not having a mic is still having a choice, because you can get a "voice" for 5 bucks.

I don't think you have been disrespectful at all, non on the forum has been really hehe, well except the tolls who have no respect for anything really. But still i get the feeling that people think it is no room in DayZ for people like me because if i don't speak i will get killed, even when i text in game. Sure people in this post have been really nice and offered a lot of help, we still have to remember that people in game is not that willing hehe :D

I am sure there are plenty of friendly people who would enjoy your company but I would expect to be killed by 99% of players you come across.

Not been killed yet, and i don't run around on empty servers, i try to be on servers with 20+ people on, but what i do is play careful. I don't run in to towns without scouting them out for a while and the land around, same with airfields. And as i said in my update post, i seek out people to try and interact with them, i don't just sit and hide in a bush all day.

But you are right, so far 100% of the people i have come across the last 10 days (80 game hours) have tried to kill me, even when trying to talk to them via chat.

I did read you're post, and i read all the post in the poll, my problem is that the people you talk about and the others in that tread has a choice, where i don't, short of having one of my friends record a whole set of sentences and words and use a soundboard or text, i don't have a choice. Not having a mic is still having a choice, because you can get a "voice" for 5 bucks.

I don't think you have been disrespectful at all, non on the forum has been really hehe, well except the tolls who have no respect for anything really. But still i get the feeling that people think it is no room in DayZ for people like me because if i don't speak i will get killed, even when i text in game. Sure people in this post have been really nice and offered a lot of help, we still have to remember that people in game is not that willing hehe :D

That's basically what I was trying to get at...God awful people..But, I'd say your chance are still as good. Hell some people kill others who have VOIP just for having it, lulz..

Edited by RyBo