Sign in to follow this  
OldWolf (DayZ)

Jump when hearing Gunshots?

Am I the only person that jumps everytime I hear gunshots?

It's like everything is all quiet, birds chirping, grass under my feet, and then BOOM random loud gunshots coming from random places..I always freakin jump

• Like 7

Yup still gets me 80% of the time.  the other 20% of the time it's shots after the first trying to hit me.  the first one ALWAYS gets me lol

Sometimes a shot will make me jump, sometimes when I walk around a corner and there is a zombie there already moving towards me, I immediately think its a player and that scares me. 

• Like 1

I still jump. I have had times I've pulled my keyboard/mouse into my lap. Or scream "SHIT" "FUCK" at 3am with a house full of people.

The damn sound bugs alone make me jump ALL the time (splitting ammo, reloading, opening a soda, eating - except you know they're sound bugs when they don't make the full sound, only a split second of it), especially during an intense fight when I'm on edge.

Its usually when I hear the shots directed at me or when I hear footsteps or eating it makes me jump. If someone shoots and its not directed at me I will usually not be bothered.

lmao ah man, atleast im not the only one! Been playing for a while already and that first gunshot directed towards me always get me!

Gunshots don't do much for me anymore. But i sometimes get freaked out by loot, little trees & bushes when turning my camera because i straight away get the idea that I just saw a player. I just don't know whats real anymore :(

• Like 1

I got shot at one of the airfields last night and when the first shot hit me I nearly had a literal heart attack. I never saw who killed me.

Made me jump today. Test fired a gun, make sure I had loaded the ammo in. A few seconds go by and I hear one back right by me! A bug issue, I imagine, but made me jump!

Yeap it all depends but generally when a stealth infected jump's me, also had a stealth infected making the gun sound (like punching walls) in NWAF I crapped myself.  Finally I stopped leaving my phone on the desktop cos a message or call causes the loudest noise, keep it in my lap now.

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 1

I don't think jump is the right term, more like... "ooh, hello"

They say you don't hear the one that kills you, so if you hear a shot that lands close to you then you know they are either a bad shot or some distance away, and whichever it is those two things are what will save your life. For example I was in the NWA the other day, finding nobody after spending 20 mins or so creeping about (I even recklessly crossed the airfield) I was getting a little full of myself near the buildings at the Southern corner only for a bullet to ricochet off the side of the building. There was a maximum of 180' that the shot could have come from and thinking of the route I took narrowed it down to about 90'. The sensible place was on the rise to the South in line with the airstrip. I start sprinting for the corner of the building that would, if my thinking was right, cut the angle off from the shooter. They were clearly not a good enough or patient enough shot to take me out however if I had got my calculations wrong I could be in big trouble and rather than reduce the angle I could have opened it up. Another shot hits the wall as I round the corner of the building. That was two, again the shooter is sloppy as it allowed me to know exactly where he was and it's where I thought, on the rise probably in some bushes. I can use this to my advantage and trace a line diagonally back using the house as the pivot point of a line between me and him. Luck is on my side as there are some bushes further along that line. I need to be quick, an inexperienced shooter will head straight for the building, so I run and make the tree line. Sure enough within a couple of seconds round the corner of the building the shooter comes - I'm guessing he thinks he shot me as he didn't see me running away, however it's now him that is in the line of fire and he is at a complete loss. The tables have turned. He looks around to see if I am lying prone at the corner of the building or inside the building (the only door is on the side we are on now. I show the level of patience he lacks and as he is looking away in a vain search for a body I deploy  my bipod, take aim and down him from 20 meters. He is now dead and I am still alive. Why? Because I heard the gunshot. Oh, and he was sloppy and impatient, that helped.. ;)

TL;DR? Bottom line, hearing the gunshot is probably the thing that will save your life.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 1

its like in every horror game Ive ever played I am not like other persons that scream like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH"
It's more like a very short but loud "AAH" 

Yeh and my parents are always like "Whatchu doing up there" and im like "Im playing DayZ "

Edited by AlexLovesCookies

Its usually when I hear the shots directed at me or when I hear footsteps or eating it makes me jump. If someone shoots and its not directed at me I will usually not be bothered.

This is what happens to me too. I only jump when someone shoots at me, but if they're shooting at something else It doesn't bother me. It's only background noise to me.

Was NE in Svet yesterday touring the city in one of the apt. complexes on the 3rd floor. All was quiet, rain was coming and going with Zed's all about the place, I tend to leave them (Zed's) be if possible and use them as sentries.  Shots fired near by, my immediate thought was to fire my weapon as well just to let the person know they were not alone...  I chose to keep quiet.

• Like 1

I don't think jump is the right term, more like... "ooh, hello"

They say you don't hear the one that kills you, so if you hear a shot that lands close to you then you know they are either a bad shot or some distance away, and whichever it is those two things are what will save your life. For example I was in the NWA the other day, finding nobody after spending 20 mins or so creeping about (I even recklessly crossed the airfield) I was getting a little full of myself near the buildings at the Southern corner only for a bullet to ricochet off the side of the building. There was a maximum of 180' that the shot could have come from and thinking of the route I took narrowed it down to about 90'. The sensible place was on the rise to the South in line with the airstrip. I start sprinting for the corner of the building that would, if my thinking was right, cut the angle off from the shooter. They were clearly not a good enough or patient enough shot to take me out however if I had got my calculations wrong I could be in big trouble and rather than reduce the angle I could have opened it up. Another shot hits the wall as I round the corner of the building. That was two, again the shooter is sloppy as it allowed me to know exactly where he was and it's where I thought, on the rise probably in some bushes. I can use this to my advantage and trace a line diagonally back using the house as the pivot point of a line between me and him. Luck is on my side as there are some bushes further along that line. I need to be quick, an inexperienced shooter will head straight for the building, so I run and make the tree line. Sure enough within a couple of seconds round the corner of the building the shooter comes - I'm guessing he thinks he shot me as he didn't see me running away, however it's now him that is in the line of fire and he is at a complete loss. The tables have turned. He looks around to see if I am lying prone at the corner of the building or inside the building (the only door is on the side we are on now. I show the level of patience he lacks and as he is looking away in a vain search for a body I deploy  my bipod, take aim and down him from 20 meters. He is now dead and I am still alive. Why? Because I heard the gunshot. Oh, and he was sloppy and impatient, that helped.. ;)

TL;DR? Bottom line, hearing the gunshot is probably the thing that will save your life.

Thank you for that story that had little to do with the question ;)

Anyway, every time I hear a shot I just about shit myself.

Was NE in Svet yesterday touring the city in one of the apt. complexes on the 3rd floor. All was quiet, rain was coming and going with Zed's all about the place, I tend to leave them (Zed's) be if possible and use them as sentries.  Shots fired near by, my immediate thought was to fire my weapon as well just to let the person know they were not alone...  I chose to keep quiet.

Wasn't aware Svetlo has apartments. Where are they located?

I'm guessing they're called apartments... large multi complex buildings.  Some have stores and such on the first floor, a garage or two but then stairs to access the 2nd and 3rd floors.  They're mid-town on the main streets.  These are relatively new, added in one of the most recent updates.

Edited by Super_Duty

Sometimes a shot will make me jump, sometimes when I walk around a corner and there is a zombie there already moving towards me, I immediately think its a player and that scares me. 

LOL yeah i get the same had to many bambi or under geared players try the rush so i see the zed and jump then shoot before going doooh just another zed. Thats even in towns a fair distance of the coast guess i am shell shocked from my few attempts at hitting the coast to aid in wiping spawn killers and handing out my ample food collection.

Gave it up as it resulted in blood bath way to many wannabe rocky's ones unable to dodge a sawn off shottie with plenty of speed loaders ( have 6 of them plus an fnx with 4 clips)

Am I the only person that jumps everytime I hear gunshots?

It's like everything is all quiet, birds chirping, grass under my feet, and then BOOM random loud gunshots coming from random places..I always freakin jump

It´s like the first day in dayz. Heart attack always still today. :P

Edited by NoCheats

Gunshots, people talking, and footsteps are the only things that I even pay attention to anymore. Gunshots still scare me when they are super loud. 

The random noises of eating/reloading/splitting ammo/drinking/gates, ect don't really bother me now, I just tune them all out, which has gotten me killed a few times when it was the real thing, oh well. 

The only times i jump is when something/someone comes around the corner and collides with me. Most of the time it's Zombies, but i have panic fired a player many times because of this. :|