alleycat

Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

Stupidity has no ceiling... im sure there are actually bandits out there that while looting a fully ruined corpse, would say things like:

"This newb! He's been running around with ruined shit all this time, LAWL!!! I did him a damn favor!"

And you KNOW im probably right too!

Too many times have I seen this happen. People don't even know how to properly bandit in this game. Bandit's typically don't straight out murder then loot, it's usually ambush, rope/handcuff,K.O or what have you, and if you don't comply with their orders then they shoot you.

Edited by Deity

this is part of game and game play style

• Like 1

I personally would like to see incentives to work together so long as they stayed as that - incentives. I'd walk away from the game if limits were ever placed on banditry/killing on sight. It's not that I partake in such activities, not so much as shot at anyone yet - not one bullet, but those people who actively engage in targeting other players create the real tension in the game. Whenever I approach a village or town, for example, I am actively thinking "I'm in someone's sights, someone is watching me, be careful. Which direction will they be in? Surely they must see me as clear as day," yet 99% of the time there is no-one there. I even went for a wander through Chernogorsk thinking that I was going to be shot at when I turned each corner, when I walked down roads or entered buildings. Didn't see a soul and this was on a 40/40 GB server during early evening GMT, yet I was absolutely convinced I was about to have my chap shot down and was just waiting for the screen to go black.

As much as I despise the mindset of 'kill other people to survive' it has a place in DayZ and it would be a poor game without the tension the bandits/psychopaths bring.

Edited by rapier17
  • Like 2

The only thing that could possibly stop players shooting on sight is if ammo is very rare (i am talking about finding 4 bullets and whooping for joy) or the zombies are such a threat that firing a gun brings a vast horde down on your ass.

• Like 1

Making the Zombie crazily hard would force players to work together, At the moment zombies are a gimmick and players kill each other even when zombies are close by. when zombies can infect you and make you bleed with one hit and take a head shot to kill then we might see players not waste ammo on other players because the zombies are the main threat.

But alas rocket doesnt seem to be going in that direction , He seems to favour a team deathmatch/survival route

Another un-informed player.

Number 1 - Zombies at the moment are placeholders with only some of the new zombie features activated.

Number 2 - Mass Zombies and zombie hordes are something already being worked on and cannot be implemented until they properly optimize the game and servers to handle not only more players, more loot but a mass of zombies.

Number 3 - Right now with the zombies the way they are and the ease of gearing up within 20-30 minutes of spawning means killing on site is the only thing to do.

Do not forget this is a discounted Alpha, you will encounter bugs, the game is only 20% finished.

Now, by all means feel free to voice your opinion or feeling and present your constructive feedback to help shape the game... but please do not criticize the development team on a game that is only 20% finished, that you bought at a discounted price and every time you launch acknowledge that it is unfinished and missing content.

Nothing will come. The game is what you make it.

If people choose to shoot you on sight then that's how it is. Adapt or burn

With that said, there has to be a balance between the PvE and the PvP elements, and the PvE stuff needs to be improved. I know this is alpha and it's still in the works, so it's very likely that everything said here will happen.

Zombies, make more of them appear on the map, large cities and towns would have more of them obviously. Make it so that they can't be killed unless you get them in the head. Noise attracts them, as well as smells, so if you're bleeding, quickly patch that up or you will be drawing them to you. When they attack, if they manage to bite you, you are screwed. There is no cure. You can delay the inevitable, but you will die and become one of them. Now if they give you the option to amputate an infected body part, that might help, but don't always count on it.

No safezones, everyone hates those. But player made outposts can help with interaction. Say a good player (Hero or someone who isn't a douchebag) makes an outpost and invites people in to get healed, trade, meet and greet, or even to live there and help rebuild. To prevent camping, have snipers guard the area. If they see a group of people camping with their weapons ready, they will shoot on sight.

"Make it so that they can't be killed unless you get them in the head": Silly and unrealistic. Even zombies who are alive because the virus causes some sort of cellular regeneration would still be blown to bits by enough bullets sprayed at their torso. This is not the direction DayZ should take at all; the zombie virus manifestation should be more realistic than "disease which magically makes your whole body immune to harm except your head"

No, instead zombies should have greatly increased stamina [being dead, zombies don't feel pain and so push their zombie bodies beyond the limit] and the player pathetic stamina [not at the moment while there are no vehicles].Players can run at a decent speed until their inventory starts getting full with heavy cans, at which point they become slow meatsacks easily outran by ravenous zombies. This means you dump everything, or learn to ACTUALLY EVADE ZOMBIES. It also gives bambis more of a chance, because they retain the ability to outrun zombies we enjoy so much now; but it only works for so far before even a player carrying nothing will have to slow to a walk, and somehow deal with the mob he gathered while sprinting through Kamywobo.

Also gunshots should literally attract zombies from a kilometre or two in every direction, and same with vehicles. Zombies need to be more effective hunters to pose a threat, and you shouldn't just be able to sprint through towns fearlessly. A sniper waiting for players will be mostly safe, but if he's camping at a spawn location and KoSing, he's going to attract zombie reckoning.

Zombies' strength should be in stamina, numbers and sensory awareness.

"Make it so that they can't be killed unless you get them in the head": Silly and unrealistic. Even zombies who are alive because the virus causes some sort of cellular regeneration would still be blown to bits by enough bullets sprayed at their torso. This is not the direction DayZ should take at all; the zombie virus manifestation should be more realistic than "disease which magically makes your whole body immune to harm except your head"

No, instead zombies should have greatly increased stamina [being dead, zombies don't feel pain and so push their zombie bodies beyond the limit] and the player pathetic stamina [not at the moment while there are no vehicles].Players can run at a decent speed until their inventory starts getting full with heavy cans, at which point they become slow meatsacks easily outran by ravenous zombies. This means you dump everything, or learn to ACTUALLY EVADE ZOMBIES. It also gives bambis more of a chance, because they retain the ability to outrun zombies we enjoy so much now; but it only works for so far before even a player carrying nothing will have to slow to a walk, and somehow deal with the mob he gathered while sprinting through Kamywobo.

Also gunshots should literally attract zombies from a kilometre or two in every direction, and same with vehicles. Zombies need to be more effective hunters to pose a threat, and you shouldn't just be able to sprint through towns fearlessly. A sniper waiting for players will be mostly safe, but if he's camping at a spawn location and KoSing, he's going to attract zombie reckoning.

Zombies' strength should be in stamina, numbers and sensory awareness.

I disagree with this. 

In almost all half decent zombie fiction, zombies can only be killed by a headshot. I don't care about 'realistic' zombies based on real human biology. Zombies should be headshot kills only. That's the way they are and that's part of what makes even slow, shambling zombies an actual threat. If you can just mow down a horde with whatever automatic weapon you have by spraying it into them, that will be very lame indeed.

Certainly you should be able to disable them by taking out their legs and making them crawl or blowing them to bits (when grenades are implemented) but emptying an M4 into a zombies torso should be pretty much ineffectual unless you hit it with far more ammo than it's worth using. 

It will encourage people to actually learn how to aim and shoot. Learn how to place their shots correctly for maximum effect and to conserve ammo. This is one of the reasons that I particularly like State of Decay. You have to learn to headshot if you want to use guns. For the most part I stick to melee in that game because it's easier, but when you have a horde coming at you headshots are the only thing that will save you. It adds tension and skill.

The only thing that could possibly stop players shooting on sight is if ammo is very rare (i am talking about finding 4 bullets and whooping for joy) or the zombies are such a threat that firing a gun brings a vast horde down on your ass.

I actually doubt either of those things would stop players from shooting on sight. If you have less bullets, you'll want to take the shot that uses the least of them. Which means, unaware target. Zombie changes will just change where people are killing.

I like how if you shoot someone, it ruins all their gear. I would think that's a pretty good incentive. I would much rather talk to someone and barter and trade items than possibly be killed in a firefight and have to start from scratch.

But hey, that's just me.

Edited by zaphodity

As much as I dislike them, I think the KOS people are an accurate protrayal of society and help make this game more real.  I particularly hate the cowardly snipers that sit on a hill for hours and just kill others.  But in reality, there are millions of 12 year olds that have no real concept of end of life, personal responsibility, or empathy and many adults with that same mentality.  On top of which, millions more people only exist in society because they are medicated to control their psychotic or skitzoid behavior.  These people would all be survivors in an apocalypse that we would have to deal with, making interactions with the sane and normal people even more chaotic or nerve wracking.

Always act like a nice person and you face death with those you interact with.  It is a reality and as much as I hate getting killed, I appreciate this game having this reality.   

The rarer bullets are, the more safely I will be able to kill other players.

Even if you grant me only 1 bullet per week, I will still use that single bullet to kill another player.

And no zombie(s) would ever exist that would even make me hesitate for a nanosecond.

I like how if you shoot someone, it ruins all their gear. I would think that's a pretty good incentive. I would much rather talk to someone and barter and trade items than possibly be killed in a firefight and have to start from scratch.

But hey, that's just me.

I dont care about the gear.

I care about the kill.

It's spelled sight not site. School's these days... :lol:

OR...

And i know it's a longshot that you will understand this...

I kill you as soon as i SEE you. See. Sight.

SIGHT! OMG!

Edited by Wheunis
  • Like 1

As much as I dislike them, I think the KOS people are an accurate protrayal of society and help make this game more real.  I particularly hate the cowardly snipers that sit on a hill for hours and just kill others.  But in reality, there are millions of 12 year olds that have no real concept of end of life, personal responsibility, or empathy and many adults with that same mentality.  On top of which, millions more people only exist in society because they are medicated to control their psychotic or skitzoid behavior.  These people would all be survivors in an apocalypse that we would have to deal with, making interactions with the sane and normal people even more chaotic or nerve wracking.

Always act like a nice person and you face death with those you interact with.  It is a reality and as much as I hate getting killed, I appreciate this game having this reality.   

Actually, not really. In the event of societal collapse, there would be looting, murder, and rapine, yes, don't get me wrong. But there would be very few people walking around radomly killing, as they would be ostracized by what society remains. The, without a lifeline, they would die. 

And, unfortunately, those who have both physical and/or mental defects would be extremely unlikely to survive a societal collapse. Physical, because they were unable to fend for themselves, and mental, because they would not "fit in" with the new groups forming.

I have talked about this (The reality of banditry/KOS in a "real life" situation similar to Day Z) at length before, so if you want the full version, PM me.

You sir, are an ass and the definition of a troll. Recent research suggests that online trolls are often actually sadists. You may want to consider a psychological evaluation.

Hopefully, you won't even be able to obtain firearms without cooperating. Entering a city, town or base without a team using coordinated tactics should result in player death 99.9% of the time. Those areas should be swarming with hundreds of aggressive zombies. Players should still be able to kill each other but you shouldn't be able to sprint to a loot spawn, gear up and start trolling the way some players do now.

So someone who likes to shoot people in a game where you can shoot people means that they are a sadist in real life? Hmm. You sound like someone who just took a psych 101 course and is now a doctor wannabe.

Honestly, this game was deisgned around interactions that range from friendly encounters to people blowing your face off for no reason. It's the up-in-the-air stuff that makes this game so interesting.

The problem I'm finding, lately, is that the KOS when players are fully geared is way too prevalent. There is no tension anymore because it's now always going to be a shootout.

If you're rocking a firearm I'm probably going to blow you away unless you very quickly yell "I'm not dangerous". Chances are you won't be able to make it close enough for me to hear you before I kill you. I work way too hard to equip myself with what I have and I'm not going to lose it for being naive approaching someone kitted out like me.

That said, I love going to new spawn areas and killing bambi hunters, or chilling in Balota and waiting for other decked out dudes to test my skills against, possibly losing it all.

personally I'm not holding my breath, but am curious if they come up with anything that isn't too game-breaking

Ya cause honestly an open world do what you want game sounds great in concept but big surprise people just levitate towards the easy way or w/e you want to call it (i.e KOS and torture people).

There is nothing in game to do besides that for fun no coop except to KOS and torture with your buddies, there is literally no reason to do anything else really,

They need mechanics that help balance the pure PVP aspect of the game, cause honestly an OPEN ENDED game like dayz should let and encourage people to play different playstyles besides a camping bandit douchebag, the game actually punishes you for being friendly (and yes its the games fault not players cause players have no other reason to not just attack you).

I really hope they add morality/mental health to the game and do it right so its not punishing pvp but in fact just makes it less encouraged. There should be pros and cons to both play styles right now the only con to being a bandit douche is that their gear is wrecked when you kill them, but BIG SURPRISE they dont need gear cause they just server hopped on empty servers to get gear, so gear is irrelevant.

SIMPLE PUT

Too much of one thing sucks.

Pure troll pvp is boring and gay and makes the game feel like im playing against auto aim bots.

Pure friendship happy time no kill kill is equally boring in that nothing is happening, we need some middle ground.

They need mechanics that help balance the pure PVP aspect of the game, cause honestly an OPEN ENDED game like dayz should let and encourage people to play different playstyles besides a camping bandit douchebag

Tell us how you REALLY feel about bandits

Wow, I'm amazed at how tough and h4rdk0r3 the KOS crowd are. You guys are so cool, I want to be just like you. Every time I read one of the hundred variations of 'I just like this game because it allows me to ruin someone else's day' I think, what a fulfilling life this must be!

I didn't actually realise the school bullies hadn't grown up but were just hiding in adult clothes during the day, waiting till they could go home and play DayZ. What did you guys do before this for fun? Kidnap and torture other people's pets?

What I'm reading here is that if I release a game called 'sociopath simulator' it's going to be huge. Anyone with me?

I don't want to go into the details too much, but it's a much studied and well established psychological fact that you cannot kill people all day every day without spending any time in human company without psychologically going to shit. This should be represented in game. Just because the KOS crowd think they're so hardcore that they could kill all day every day without a conscience, does not make this true. If we have to deal with blood types in the game, we should certainly have the gradual psychological breakdown of the loners who shoot people rather than interact represented. This could be done through random 'flashbacks', hearing voices that aren't there, or hallucinating players that aren't there. This could be alleviated by spending time in the company of people without killing them, or reversed.

No humanity system, just a sanity system. I mean every other kind of health is represented, why the hell not psychological.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm amazed at how tough and h4rdk0r3 the KOS crowd are. You guys are so cool, I want to be just like you. Every time I read one of the hundred variations of 'I just like this game because it allows me to ruin someone else's day' I think, what a fulfilling life this must be!

I didn't actually realise the school bullies hadn't grown up but were just hiding in adult clothes during the day, waiting till they could go home and play DayZ. What did you guys do before this for fun? Kidnap and torture other people's pets?

What I'm reading here is that if I release a game called 'sociopath simulator' it's going to be huge. Anyone with me?

I don't want to go into the details too much, but it's a much studied and well established psychological fact that you cannot kill people all day every day without spending any time in human company without psychologically going to shit. This should be represented in game. Just because the KOS crowd think they're so hardcore that they could kill all day every day without a conscience, does not make this true. If we have to deal with blood types in the game, we should certainly have the gradual psychological breakdown of the loners who shoot people rather than interact represented. This could be done through random 'flashbacks', hearing voices that aren't there, or hallucinating players that aren't there. This could be alleviated by spending time in the company of people without killing them, or reversed.

No humanity system, just a sanity system. I mean every other kind of health is represented, why the hell not psychological.

I think you're a bit upset because I'm the kind of guy who kills you for whatever reason I want, and you can't handle that. 

And school bullies? kid this is a game lol. I'm sorry, but if you're day is RUINED from something someone does in a video game, that's just sad.

I'm a bandit/KoSr/whatever you wanna call it, and I in no way claim to be hardcore at all lol. I just do what I want and have fun while doing it. It is a sandbox game after all, and you can't do a damn thing about it :)

• Like 3

Congratulations, you just created a system that encourages squads of bandits instead of lone wolves.

Wait, that wasn't what you were trying to do, were you?

To be fair, every single idea to encourage cooperation ignores that "bandits" are usually the more organized groups who play together every day and coordinate via teamspeak.

Congratulations, you just created a system that encourages squads of bandits instead of lone wolves.

To be fair, every single idea to encourage cooperation ignores that "bandits" are usually the more organized groups who play together every day and coordinate via teamspeak.

damn right, because we want your shit :P or maybe we just want to put a burlap sack on your head and handcuff you and then make you walk off a dock :D

guess it all depends on how we're feeling :)

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 1

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL ME WHAT SERVERS YOU ARE PLAYING ON...

The handful of times I do bump into someone they are a sodding carebear, bean giving, friendly, then again, I tend to stay away from known PvP hotspots unless I feel like getting shot at!

Wow, two straw man arguments in one day. My luck!

Ok, firstly, absolutely this encourages squads of bandits, it encourages squads of everyone. That's fine and that IS EXACTLY what I want to do. That's starting the blocks of society right there. A lot of the KOS crowd that seem to get by on griefing are not part of a group and are just wandering around solo killing anyone else rather than interacting. IF you have a group of guys who runs around deciding to try and kill everyone, fine, that's more plausible and indeed probably not significantly different from a large part of early human history.

And to DeatHTaX, that was not stating that my day was ruined from getting killed in DayZ. It was paraphrasing and summing the views that the KOS crowd had put forward in this thread. That's what they seek by their own statement. I personally will get slightly annoyed if I die pointlessly, but it's a roguelike game so that's part of the point. Also, I have no objection to a gang of people who want to get their kicks that way, attempting to apprehend me and chuck a burlap sack over my head. That's not KOSing. It might be a dick move, but it's not KOS.