alleycat

Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

Posted this on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xtgmi/is_there_going_to_be_any_incentive_for_nonviolent/

Are developers dodging questions about this topic on purpose or am I imagining things? There is a lot of responses about many topics by rocket and hicks but for some reason questions about carebear enhancement are being ignored and why do rocket and hicks talk on reddit all the time but on the official game forum it is all ceremonial and rocket only shows himself in throne room (patch notes thread)?

So can we get a straight answer? Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

futurama-farnsworth-in-money-tank-o.gif

(community asking about carebear stuff on left, rocket on right)

Edited by alleycat
  • Like 1

personally I'm not holding my breath, but am curious if they come up with anything that isn't too game-breaking

Making the Zombie crazily hard would force players to work together, At the moment zombies are a gimmick and players kill each other even when zombies are close by. when zombies can infect you and make you bleed with one hit and take a head shot to kill then we might see players not waste ammo on other players because the zombies are the main threat.

But alas rocket doesnt seem to be going in that direction , He seems to favour a team deathmatch/survival route

Edited by anglo
  • Like 7

Damaging gear is incentive enough. Most people KOS because they are bored with the game or that is simply how they went to play it. I have no problem surviving in towns like electro and cherno, even balota airstrip with the amount of KOS'ers in the game. It really isn't hard to avoid death if you care that much. There are no rules in this game, but to avoid turning this into another KOS gripe thread lets stay on topic.

When someone KOS's they typically don't care for the gear are damaging, a lot of people will try and kill to gear up as well resulting in useless gear. Once they implement base construction, hunting and more survival aspects into the game you'll see a decrease in KOS as people will have a lot more options to occupy their time rather than kill Bambi on the coast.

• Like 7

We already have it (gear getting ruined). It doesn't stop people.

Not really sure anything will I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Yeah from what I've seen so far they are aiming more for a death match adding more guns and player count to servers

It would be so easy to make the zombies a threat( I mean when thy are finished) but I doubt they will as more zombies doesn't mean they are dangerous, increased damage as making them harder to kill would help somewhat but they will probably not do this, the way it's going in a year it will be start with AS50 servers all over again

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1

Nothing will EVER make someone not KoS you.

Get that idea out of your head. RIGHT NOW!!!

As much as you might dislike it, the penalty could be a 7day ban from that server, and people will STILL DO IT.

If you want to play a purely pve zombie game, maybe look somewhere else.

DAYZ IS NOT THAT GAME.

• Like 10

We already have it (gear getting ruined). It doesn't stop people.

Not really sure anything will I'm afraid.

Zombies that are at least a threat would stop alot kos.  If a irl zombie apocalypse was to happen you would be frightened of the zombies and i doubt very much you would shoot a gun in a town that has zombies shuffling around.

But the zombies in Dayz are a joke and a minor annoyance so players play Dayz like its call of duty because other players are the only threat.

As much as you might dislike it, the penalty could be a 7day ban from that server, and people will STILL DO IT.

DAYZ IS NOT THAT GAME.

Seriously, this isn't Little Big Planet. Adding any of those features would force me, and I'm sure many others, to quit.

• Like 4

hmm well lets see there going to crank down weapons put in improvised weapons lower food spawns add hunting etc zeds will increase.. Its not one thing really if you look its going to get alot harder where your at the point of saying shit yeah lets kill bambi why cause no ammo you will be constantly fighting to get enough food to survive i expect to see more armed hold ups for food seeing destroying what a guy has when everything gets much harder to find wont make sense..

Dont know if it will work but thats kinda where there heading....

Zombies that are at least a threat would stop alot kos.  If a irl zombie apocalypse was to happen you would be frightened of the zombies and i doubt very much you would shoot a gun in a town that has zombies shuffling around.

But the zombies in Dayz are a joke and a minor annoyance so players play Dayz like its call of duty because other players are the only threat.

I agree to an extent that more threatening zombies might stop some people from killing on sight.

I guarantee though, people would still kill you on sight.

DAYZ IS NOT THAT GAME.

Yes probably but Dayz has become a purely pvp game now, the pve side seems dead.

If you like pvp then why play Dayz when alot other games do pvp alot better than Dayz does, Dayz strength was the zombies and the fear and dread the game gave you. Its turned into call of duty im afraid.

If you watch alot of the interviews with youtube streamers rocket does they play the game like its Arma 3 and give him advice that makes the game even moreso and takes it away from being Dayz and more towards being Arma 3 or call of duty esque

If you like pvp then why play Dayz when alot other games do pvp alot better than Dayz does

I'm not one of these players, but I can FULLY advocate the mindset.

You are dead wrong on that point. The one where other games give better pvp.

CoD and BF and all it's kin DOES NOT give me the oppurtunity to completely ruin your day and invalidate everything you have "worked" so hard to get with just a single click or two...

and THAT is why DayZ pvp, and specifically KoS or CoD playstyle is so appealing to that specific type of audience.

• Like 2

Has anyone who complains about the game turning into CoD actually played CoD? DayZ is nothing like CoD, it doesn`t FEEL like a CoD game no matter how many M4s and semi-automatic weapons from the US military that you stuff into the game. CoD is all about blasting people from max 100m away in small, cramped maps, bullets and grenades are everywhere. In DayZ you`re paranoid alot of the time for no good reason, and when you do spot someone and get the jump on them the firefight is over in a few short bursts of gunfire. DayZ is slow-paced and adrenaline-inducing in a way CoD is not.

The KoS issue is one of those entrenched arguments where neither side is wiling to make concessions. There`s no fruitful reason to complain about it in this state of the game anyhow, because we simply don`t know how much of a threat the environment is going to pose in the future, or how an extra pair of hands is going to be of use. 

I hope that PvP is here to stay, because safe zones or arbitrary punishments for player-hostile actions is just going in the wrong direction IMO and detracting from the tension that makes DayZ what it is. 

• Like 2

I keep hearing that making zeds extremely hard would help, but currently all the zeds do is swat their arms at you,

so making them really difficult would be really difficult since they are quite limited and can't do complex movements.

If they could add grab and biting attacks that would help,

but an enemy with only one type of movement would be very difficult to make a challenge without just buffing the damage output of their attacks.

After they redo zeds and the way they attack, I could see that helping.

But the reality is, KOS is here to stay and is a huge part of what makes DayZ so much fun.

I mean would you have as much fun without the constant fear of the possibility of someone watching you through a LRS?

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

I will be blunt here. For those of you that say that KoSing is a prime feature in this game, you are psychos. If you KoS just because it's fun, or you're bored, you would be dead if this was RL. For everyone else that has a more... logical reason, like extreme paranoia, or very anti-social, you're still nuts, but at least I would give you a chance to calm down before I blow your brains out.

With that said, there has to be a balance between the PvE and the PvP elements, and the PvE stuff needs to be improved. I know this is alpha and it's still in the works, so it's very likely that everything said here will happen.

Zombies, make more of them appear on the map, large cities and towns would have more of them obviously. Make it so that they can't be killed unless you get them in the head. Noise attracts them, as well as smells, so if you're bleeding, quickly patch that up or you will be drawing them to you. When they attack, if they manage to bite you, you are screwed. There is no cure. You can delay the inevitable, but you will die and become one of them. Now if they give you the option to amputate an infected body part, that might help, but don't always count on it.

No safezones, everyone hates those. But player made outposts can help with interaction. Say a good player (Hero or someone who isn't a douchebag) makes an outpost and invites people in to get healed, trade, meet and greet, or even to live there and help rebuild. To prevent camping, have snipers guard the area. If they see a group of people camping with their weapons ready, they will shoot on sight.

For those saying "this isn't that kind of game!" I will be blunt again and say, yeah it is. This is a game of survivors trying to live in the zombie apocalypse. Think of The Walking Dead as an MMO. If you don't want or like that kind of game, then kindly leave.

• Like 9

I keep hearing that making zeds extremely hard would help, but currently all the zeds do is swat their arms at you,

so making them really difficult would be really difficult since they are quite limited and can't do complex movements.

If they could add grab and biting attacks that would help,

but an enemy with only one type of movement would be very difficult to make a challenge without just buffing the damage output of their attacks.

Will make absolutely 0 difference.

Making the Zombie crazily hard would force players to work together,

Yes, that is the best way to incentivise cooperation whilst also refocusing the combat on the zombies.  At the moment the zombies may as well not be in the game.

• Like 1

9 out of 10 (going by how the community is) will kos and will always kos no matter what happens. It wont change. 

Yes, that is the best way to incentivise cooperation whilst also refocusing the combat on the zombies.  At the moment the zombies may as well not be in the game.

Nope, like a lot of people are saying.. it wont. Just means that combat will be even more annoying for large amount of kos'ers and small amount of survivors. 
Edited by Mopa
  • Like 1

Nothing they give will stop me from killing you, it pisses people off to the point where that is the reward in and of itself

• Like 3

9 out of 10 (going by how the community is) will kos and will always kos no matter what happens. It wont change. 

Nope, like a lot of people are saying.. it wont. Just means that combat will be even more annoying for large amount of kos'ers and small amount of survivors. 

This.

A billion times over.

You need to get this into your heads.

The sooner you do, and learn to live with it, the better your play is going to be.

I really mean it when I say, that as long as a weapon or method exists that can kill you - WE WILL USE IT. ENDLESSLY.

Even if you make my character explode into a billion pieces every time I do a single point of damage to another character... I WILL STILL DO IT!!!

• Like 1

Something to help against KoS? Everything gets instantly ruined simple as that. If no one can pick anything off of you, they'd have to waste resources to kill you. So since they cannot make anything off of you, they'd have to consider if using the shot(s) are worth it.

Personally, if I catch someone off guard, I tell them to put their weapon away and hands up. If they comply, it's fine, I keep my sights on them and back off. If they fail to comply, I gun'em. Banditary? Not at all, I'd have given clear commands and if they wish to try and pull a fast one, well, I won't let them.

Also, while a bit of a 'grey area' if I find people camping at the top of buildings with guns in the middle of a city, I run a few bullets by them. Did it to two folks in Elektro a few days ago, they ran off and combat-logged inside. Which was actually the best thing, so now they won't kill others out of anger or loot and they knew that going there may lead to a lesser-kind soul actually nailing them.

Making the Zombie crazily hard would force players to work together, At the moment zombies are a gimmick and players kill each other even when zombies are close by. when zombies can infect you and make you bleed with one hit and take a head shot to kill then we might see players not waste ammo on other players because the zombies are the main threat.

But alas rocket doesnt seem to be going in that direction , He seems to favour a team deathmatch/survival route

He didn't even want zombies at first. It was just pure survival before he called the game DayZ. He only added zombies because people didn't take an interest in his concept before.

What I say is that no sort of penalties and rewards shall be added for killing another player. You only take his loot to the cost of danger and damage and that's it. It's perfect for me as it is.

Edited by AntonioAJC

Nothing they give will stop me from killing you, it pisses people off to the point where that is the reward in and of itself

And this too!

Another 100 billion times!