Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

Scope realism

Currently scopes make you zoom like you aren't really using a scope, everything around the scope and the image through the lens is the same.

Case in point:

Er17SbC.jpg

The image clearly depicts that the outer area has the same magnification as the inner area.

In reality, it should look like this:

3EVP0l4.jpg

A scoped image should always have the appropriate zoom while the rest of your viewport shuld retain whatever "zoom level" your eyes have.

• Like 10

I agree, That would be pretty awesome. It's not really a big deal right now, though it would be nice later down the road.

I love that you took a screenshot to show the correct implementation from Red Orchestra 2.

But you didn't want to compare DayZ PU Scope to RO2 PU Scope?

I love that you took a screenshot to show the correct implementation from Red Orchestra 2.

But you didn't want to compare DayZ PU Scope to RO2 PU Scope?

I think the point is pretty clear either way (I don't have an SKS atm), I took the first shot myself, because it illustrates best how the concrete bars look the same.

Remember that not all scopes have zooming ability , some acog is just for aiming it wont zoom in , but a PU i think it have 3x zoom in it.

Remember that not all scopes have zooming ability , some acog is just for aiming it wont zoom in , but a PU i think it have 3x zoom in it.

PU has 3.5x. Currently the entire viewport zooms to 1.39x.

Mag on all optics with magnification isn't correct yet. Red dots are generally 1x(no mag) and ACOG's are 4x.

Can't find the thread but I'm pretty sure Gews has posted this already. 

Either way, agreed!

Edited by creature
  • Like 1

wrong link.. searching...  :thumbsup:

Hahah, I was hoping someone would remember where that post was. I couldn't for the life of me find it. Was one on correcting the completely wrong mag levels. To fix this issue. No luck either?

Currently, the game wouldn't be able to support double-rendering without bringing down performance to a major degree. I imagine in the next few months, with the optimizations and graphic engine revamp, we might be able to see this.

That would be awesome, though i guess, it would be very hungry feature...In Arma 3 I play already mostly without PiP.

THIS!!!!! A THOUSAND TIMES THIS! I've never seen a videogame's scope work like that. This would be incredible.

• Like 2

I think the point is pretty clear either way (I don't have an SKS atm), I took the first shot myself, because it illustrates best how the concrete bars look the same.

Yup, the point is there and I completely agree we should have proper amplification is applied.

Seconded. At the very least, in the meantime, the image outside the scope could be blurred. 

I agree,

In reality all of your focus is inside the scope, so blurring around the scope is the best way to go IMO.

The LRS is fine since you would have your eye up against the scope itself.

Then again this video that someone edited to look real would be the best way to go for sure.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

Seconded. At the very least, in the meantime, the image outside the scope could be blurred. 

I agree,

In reality all of your focus is inside the scope, so blurring around the scope is the best way to go IMO.

The LRS is fine since you would have your eye up against the scope itself.

Please do not add blurring around any of the scopes, period.

In real life you would not be able to focus on the outside of a scope, yes, because your field of focus is about 3 degrees out of 180-ish. But, since we are looking at a monitor/TV with our real eyes as well, the same is still true. If you look directly at the center of a red dot scope in game now, and try to read something in the corner of the screen, you wouldn't be able to, because your eye can only focus on very little at once. So, it would be redundant to add this feature, since the human eye is already doing it.

Now, let's think about if you were looking through a magnified scope in real life. If you wanted to move your eye and look outside the scope (without moving your eye or the scope), you could because your eye can easily adjust focus to something on the outside of the scope. That's why we don't have everything in the game blurry except for 3 degrees in the middle, because you are able to move your eyes around to focus on different things in real life, so your character doesn't need to.

In conclusion, if this feature ever gets implemented (however unlikely that may be), please do not blur the outside of a scope. It is redundant and unrealistic. The only exception should be to improve performance while using that feature.

• Like 1

Please do not add blurring around any of the scopes, period.

In real life you would not be able to focus on the outside of a scope, yes, because your field of focus is about 3 degrees out of 180-ish. But, since we are looking at a monitor/TV with our real eyes as well, the same is still true. If you look directly at the center of a red dot scope in game now, and try to read something in the corner of the screen, you wouldn't be able to, because your eye can only focus on very little at once. So, it would be redundant to add this feature, since the human eye is already doing it.

Now, let's think about if you were looking through a magnified scope in real life. If you wanted to move your eye and look outside the scope (without moving your eye or the scope), you could because your eye can easily adjust focus to something on the outside of the scope. That's why we don't have everything in the game blurry except for 3 degrees in the middle, because you are able to move your eyes around to focus on different things in real life, so your character doesn't need to.

In conclusion, if this feature ever gets implemented (however unlikely that may be), please do not blur the outside of a scope. It is redundant and unrealistic. The only exception should be to improve performance while using that feature.

A side note on this too. I shoot with both eyes open with iron, an M68, or my 8-12x, adding blur would not be realistic for the above mentioned issues. I adjust focus and sweep areas with little to no noticable issue because how quickly the human eye focuses. No need to move my head when my eyes can do the work, and no need to pull my cheek away from the weapon.

The mag and edge lose when peering through a scope, would really dig that though.

Edited by xRann

We can barely get over 30fps with one rendering, picture in picture scopes would mean rendering twice.

Maybe way down the line when everyone is running at 100fps, this might be possible.

We can barely get over 30fps with one rendering, picture in picture scopes would mean rendering twice.

Maybe way down the line when everyone is running at 100fps, this might be possible.

Considering we're running on arma 2 engine..

Yea the upper image is what I was trying to say. Note that it's still not 100% right as the rifle parts didn't get zoomed :)