Damnyourdeadman

Rain water collection

Another way to aquire water,i suggest we implement a system that allows

the player the collect drinkable rainwater.In the apocalybe water would be scarce and a rain would be like

a heaven's gift.What do you think?

FTUMA42GRQ44KEQ.MEDIUM.jpg
Or even make this idea,larger scale,having large open tanks filling up with rainwater.
picture-06-00a.jpg

• Like 9

I don't know, it's a cool idea but when Dean and Co. have to work on stuff like weapons, updating the server hardware etc I don't think they will get around to this. 

Not to mention their are already dozens of water pumps in the world to suit your every aquatic need. 

• Like 1

I don't know, it's a cool idea but when Dean and Co. have to work on stuff like weapons, updating the server hardware etc I don't think they will get around to this. 

Not to mention their are already dozens of water pumps in the world to suit your every aquatic need. 

Enjoy them while you can,after Dean is done implementing the water contamination most of theese pumps will be filled with all kind of diseses.

A sip from those pumps,and your charchter would be vommiting to his dead.All that aside,rain water will be a clean/realible source to dirnk from ;)

Yeah about a week before this water implementation im gonna start collecting them. I think the rain water collection has a lot of merret. A tarp and a bucket and ducktape would do it for a "water tent" (dont have a picture, but they have been used on rafts at sea, or water collection in the outback). Australia is basically a desert, so you tend to get very water concious, people out in the country collect rainwater (usually large enough amounts to water the vege garden, shower, washing, etc) and often have 30,000 - 50,000 + storage easily, because bush fires are a problem here, and 20,000 ltrs of water could save your house and the area around it in some instances. I don't think that it would ever be implemented (but it would be kind of cool) to have a town raised to the ground via a firestorm of some sort or the odd area. (and have it grow back at server restart). Its another kind of overwelming situational awareness when you are in the path of a wall of fire....

The other possible "water purification" that could be used are solar or fire powered stills... drop in a bucket of tainted pump/pond water and you get a cantine full out. you could add a "condensing copper coil" to a cooking pot (over the fire you have made) to produce enough clean water.. the challenge of course is how long can u keep a fire going without attracting Zeeks or bandits ;)

• Like 1

There's NO way this isn't going to make it into the game at some point . This is survival at its best, why even take the chance of using water purification tablets that might not work/ could be contaminated themselves , when you could get some nice rain water ( hoping there are no airborne diseases ) but you would obviously boil the water to destroy anything that could be in the water .

You don't even need some apparature to collect water. You can just wring wet clothes and drainw ater from them... ;)

True, there are dozens of water pumps, but when they increase the zombie numbers by like 5 fold in towns and cities, water pumps will be far harder to get to, while rain will be an easy clean source of water.  Pond and stream water could get you sick, pumps will be surrounded by the undead, rainwater is collectable in the woods and would be safe to drink. Balancing really needs to be minimal til we get a greater number of zombies. We may think that resources to survive are quite numerous, especially on servers with few players, but when the servers have 60-100 players and 5000-10000 zombies resources will be harder to find/get to inside towns/cities when freshly spawned and big cities should only be attempted with m4's and in a group.

You've never been in the NW - go look for water up there, friend.

Collecting rainwater is a good idea, need only funnel, containers are already in-game - rain water is pure too, no chance of disease.

I was in a rainstorm in the NW yesterday. I was located NW of the garages and the water tower.. ya know? (I guess ya don't)... Sooner or later snipers are going to work out there are only 2 water points in that WHOLE NW REGION. You heard it here first.

And the lakes up NW you can see on the map are DRY, the Devs didn't put water in them.

• Like 1

You don't even need some apparature to collect water. You can just wring wet clothes and drainw ater from them... ;)

There should be some chance of disease involved with that - after all, you never wash your clothes in the game, and you never know just how long that hoodie has been sitting there, or what's been on/in it...

The rainwater collection is a good idea, but it should be realistic - in other words, difficult due to lack of catchment area, and time-consuming. You could hold a bottle in hand and collect rainwater while walking, but not while running. You could leave a bottle in place somewhere, to the same effect, with it taking the same amount of time. And of course, if a bottle has contained contaminated water, it should have a chance of contaminating any water put into it.

This was suggested in another thread a little while back, in that thread they suggested using Junk items like Empty Tin can's to collect rain water. I suggested having a "steel bucket" item which can be found in-game and takes 4x4 slots or 6x6 slots (depending on size), it can be placed to collect rain water when properly cleaned and would certainly catch more water than what an empty tin can or a bottle of water could.

• Like 1

Collecting rainwater is a good idea, need only funnel, containers are already in-game - rain water is pure too, no chance of disease.

Rainwater is hardly pure and can contain harmful chemicals.

Also, you can boil water to purify it, I'm not sure if this is in game yet, but I'm sure it will be.

I thought about this once...

but take in count that no matter what the rain should be full with diseses.. thats how reall life works ... rain is kinda risky...

that why you will always need to clean your water... after collecting it from the rain

I think this is a great idea and what people would do if this should happen in real life. Some bandits camp and snipe anyone that wants to go to these pumping wells, which would make there camping a lot more boring lol

I thought about this once...

but take in count that no matter what the rain should be full with diseses.. thats how reall life works ... rain is kinda risky...

that why you will always need to clean your water... after collecting it from the rain

After the Apocalypse strikes there won't be massive car pollution,factory pollution and generally things that pollute the air.

The high levels of carbon dioxide and chemicals in the atmosphere,which contaminated the rain,wouldn't exist after the apocalypse.In my opinion,rain would be the purest and safest form of water nature had to offer.

Take into account that there is a lot of semi-permanent air pollution - that buildup would need a very long time to be reprocessed through natural means to purify the upper layers of the air again. While the rain might become pure again in the long run, it wouldn't happen for a long time - long enough that you probably wouldn't have zombies or living survivors running around anymore.

I really like this idea. Adds a realistic way to get clean water without venturing into a town. I'd be okay with them just adding a funnel you can attach to a bottle. Maybe make it so you have to hold it out in your hands for it to actually fill.

I'm assuming ponds and streams will not be clean in the future, and pumps while clean may be surrounded by zombies as I know they plan on dramatically increasing zombie count.

Hell yes. When bases/tents/camps/whatever are implemented, leaving some water traps near them would be a great way to ensure [relatively] fresh drinking water.

Yes, yes, yes and more yes. Great and simple idea dude. Nice one.

You've never been in the NW - go look for water up there, friend.

I was in a rainstorm in the NW yesterday. I was located NW of the garages and the water tower.. ya know? (I guess ya don't)... Sooner or later snipers are going to work out there are only 2 water points in that WHOLE NW REGION. You heard it here first.

And the lakes up NW you can see on the map are DRY, the Devs didn't put water in them.

Not sure where in the NW you have been looking but there is plenty of water up there..

post-196280-0-80553500-1392862907_thumb.

I'm thinking crafted with sticks, rope and a tarp....discuss.

(And yes, I did a search to find something like this) :)

I'm thinking crafted with sticks, rope and a tarp....discuss.

(And yes, I did a search to find something like this) :)

Are you certain? Merged.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

I think we only really need the option to have a big bucket or drum full of water at our bases or wherever.

Catching rainwater in a canteen is slow and annoying, but it should be anyway in fact it's a little overpowered really especially since it rains so much currently.

It'd be dumb to build you base near a well or to have to run to a well for miles every time you need water, same with ponds people could just search them all. Being able to roll or drag a barrel home would be ideal, it's still going to take ages to build up a good supply but survivable enough in wet seasons.

Thank you, guess my search words were wrong. Probably pretty hard to have an original idea at this point... :)

As for the rest, yes, we need something like this. I mean i'm currently thirsty, out of anything drinkable and I'm taking shelter while a nice rainstorm is going on....Would like to be able to get some advantage out of the one thing that really gets us sick.

Edited by katana2665
  • Like 1