Damnyourdeadman

Whole map

To be honest,i'm not font of the current "find all the pieces" tresure hunt map system.
So in my opinion,i propose it would be better to find the complete map rather than pieces because:

1:They take unesecairy valuable inventory space.
2:It's a pain in the ass to go on a harcore scavange hunt for map pieces.
3:Players wil Alt-Tab and have http://dayzdb.com/map#3.105.094 in front of them,because of their laziness to find the pieces.

I like having the map in several pieces, gives me more stuff to find.

To me the game is about finding stuff you need, not about having it.

• Like 1

I like having the map in several pieces, gives me more stuff to find.

To me the game is about finding stuff you need, not about having it.

I agree,but besides the reasons i suggested above,fact is that realisticlly,noone would bother looking for map pieces in a real apocalypse,and

a pristine new whole map of Cherno as a whole would/should exist without any pieces missing.

Why don't you think anyone would look for maps in an apocalypse, how is that 'fact'?

don't need a map anyway....

but + 1 for several map pieces...it's all about looting and avoiding zombies  :)  

I'd like if map pieces had visible damage due to their condition. A 'worn' one could be all scruffy with 'folding-lines', and a 'damaged' one could have a big fat hole in it.

• Like 2

Why don't you think anyone would look for maps in an apocalypse, how is that 'fact'?

I would go on a scavage hunt for a map (the whole thing).

I wouldn't risk my safety for map scraps in order to glue them together though.... would that make sence?

Edit:But that's just how i look at things,there is no right or wrong answer,just opinions :)

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

35- 40 years ago finding a map in a car was a fair bet. Finding a map in a car that was in one piece was a bit of a treat. Today you are more likely to find a cell phone between the seats than a map anywhere near a car. If you want modern weapons you have to also think of modern times for other items as well.

I would go on a scavage hunt for a map (the whole thing).

I wouldn't risk my safety for map scraps in order to glue them together though.... would that make sence?

Edit:But that's just how i look at things,there is no right or wrong answer,just opinions :)

So if you found part of a map, you'd throw it aside waiting to find a whole one?

So if you found part of a map, you'd throw it aside waiting to find a whole one?

No....i personally wouldn't,yet i would be very dissapointed because i didn't find the whole thing,and i believe in everyone's house (and most cars) we all carry some sort of map.I'm not against of finding map scraps,but let's give the player the chance to find the complete "Map of Chernarus" among the loot and not just "scraps".That's what i'm suggesting.

interestingly enough I have found both the southern map and the northern map - just not with the same character :/ you can find a northern map and southern map that make a complete map also there is an eastern and western that will do the same however there are also NE, NW, SE, and SW pieces that you can find as well. keep looking and you'll find em. you might even find one on some unfortunate survivor (I really hope those guys enjoy that southern map I was carrying...)

interestingly enough I have found both the southern map and the northern map - just not with the same character :/ you can find a northern map and southern map that make a complete map also there is an eastern and western that will do the same however there are also NE, NW, SE, and SW pieces that you can find as well. keep looking and you'll find em. you might even find one on some unfortunate survivor (I really hope those guys enjoy that southern map I was carrying...)

Nah i don't need it,i personally have the whole thing already made from the scraps :)

Yet i would really care to see the univeral map in the game loot.

To be honest,i'm not font of the current "find all the pieces" tresure hunt map system.

So in my opinion,i propose it would be better to find the complete map rather than pieces because:

1:They take unesecairy valuable inventory space.

2:It's a pain in the ass to go on a harcore scavange hunt for map pieces.

3:Players wil Alt-Tab and have http://dayzdb.com/map#3.105.094 in front of them,because of their laziness to find the pieces.

That's what my friends actually do, though mostly they keep it up as easy reference on a second monitor. Hell I could personally have my laptop setup and do the same thing but I tend to like to use the tools provided in a title.

Ive had really tough time finding a map, even once. So finding pieces at a time isnt for me.

I agree, I've only ever found half the map at any given point. Then I'm typically killed by another player as I am meandering in and out of urban areas.

35- 40 years ago finding a map in a car was a fair bet. Finding a map in a car that was in one piece was a bit of a treat. Today you are more likely to find a cell phone between the seats than a map anywhere near a car. If you want modern weapons you have to also think of modern times for other items as well.

True, less likely to find one in a car nowadays. But I also know I can pick one up at the local super market and that's not exactly an item that'll fly off the shelves in an apocolypse. I can also go to nearby bookstores...truck stops...and a myriad of other locations to pick up maps. It's not like a maps location is exclusive to the glovebox or under the seat in a car.

I personally agree that we should still have the map pieces, but that should be represented in the damage states.

Ruined Map is just 1 sector, NW, NE, SW, SE

Damaged is half the map, North or South, East or West

Worn is 3ths the map - and it can be missing a sector

Pristine is a perfect map, no missing sections.

Edit: Along that same line, maps can be repaired by using various versions of this setup. So you can take 2 ruined pieces that share a common edge to make a Damaged Map, then Add another Sector to make a Worn map, and complete it

the same can be said that if you have a Worn Map, and a Damaged map that has the other half they can be put together to make a Pristine Map.

Edited by DaedalRogue
  • Like 1

Without really talking about realism; players aren't using the map because it's too rare, and not very useful. 

I say ditch the map pieces, and make the item more useful so that people don't tab out to DayZDB.

Make it so that with the combination of a map, and compass, players can set a map marker that doesn't give exact distance, but instead points to a generalized quadrant. If the player is already in the quadrant where a marker is placed, the marker doesn't work. 

Without really talking about realism; players aren't using the map because it's too rare, and not very useful.

I say ditch the map pieces, and make the item more useful so that people don't tab out to DayZDB.

Make it so that with the combination of a map, and compass, players can set a map marker that doesn't give exact distance, but instead points to a generalized quadrant. If the player is already in the quadrant where a marker is placed, the marker doesn't work.

That compass idea sounds way to meta in my opinion. I may hold the mqp under tap but I have to at least work to find my current position

In-game map is more useful than dayzdb map imo cause you can see every little detail from it.

Long ago stop using the map. And do not even look. I think anyone who has played the mod at least 6 months should be aware of the map.

I support your idea.

I'd like to see the ingame map having the features below. (Sorry if this has been a topic before.)

- The complete map should be devided into many smaller maps.

- A detailed single map for each city should be collectable. (Using 1 inventory slot)

- Those map parts can be stacked up to 10.

- Fitting map parts can be glued together with duct-tape. Looks horrible, but thats it these days...

- Once two pieces are glued together the name of this new map changes to 'Your map' or 'Player's map' (Using 1 inventory slot, renamable)

- If you find another map part and it fits to 'Your map', you can combine it with duct-tape. If it does not fit, it will go to your stack of parts. (There should be an option to replace ruined map parts from 'Your map' with ones of better quality.)

- Before the map screen comes up, the map must be unfolded and placed on the ground or a table. (Takes some time, maybe 5 seconds to unfold/fold the map.)

- An unfolded map can be 'viewed' by other players, standing near to it. (Same map pops up on their screen.)

- Every player looking at the map should be able to point on the map with their fingers. (no permission required)

- Every player looking at the map can zoom in/out and move the map (these changes should be active in realtime on other peoples screens. Map owners permission to do so is required.)

- Players that have pencils/pens in their inventory can write and draw lines on the map (colour depending on pen's colour, map owners permission to write/draw is required.)

(Do not move the map while somebody else is trying to draw a line -----~~~~~\___,---~~ :rolleyes:)

- If you look at a friend's map, having notes and drawings on it,  and if you have the same map part in 'Your map', you can copy these notes and drawings 1:1 to your map. (pen required)

- Pencil notes are eraseable. Pen's notes not. The more you write/draw and erase, the worse gets the quality of the map.

- If you look at the map and a different player tries to fold (steal) your map, a red message comes up on everybodies screen (viewing the map) like 'Player(name) starts folding 'Player's map'.' (Folding a stranger's map takes 10-15 seconds so stealing gets more difficult and grants the map owner more time to defend his map. Or maybe folding a strangers map while someone looks at it is simply impossible. Would be fine for me as well.)

- Player Maps can be looted from their bodies or found if thrown away. These maps show all drawings and notes taken.

- If you don't get shot or attacked, the condition of the map should stay Pristine. (or whatever the current condition is)

Unfolding/folding and writing/drawing/erasing on the map will lower the condition. This needs to be ballanced real well so it stays a survival game and not a map hunting game. I don't want to go for a new map every day but maybe once in a month (if I ever mange to survive that long).

- Maps in pockets can get wet easily if it rains. Maps in backpacks stay safe at least from rain.

Having an ingame map to share with others and having the write/draw feature would have many advantages I think. Especially for new players who are not familiar with the map. Maybe also for roleplayers.

I like the idea of wasting inventory slots for your map and also the hunt for map parts. Getting a map of cities next to mine would probably be one of the 10 most important things to do for me.

Edited by Survivor35

You forget that DayZ takes place in a small country with nothing but farms and fields.