infiltrator

Alternatives to the ballistic helmet

Add me to the group that wants Russian and / or Eastern European military helmets. They should outnumber the Western kevlar helmets by about 20 to 1. We need more Russian / Eastern European gear in general. Western items should be very very rare.

• Like 1

Head gear in my opinion is all preference, sure when i wear a ballistic helmet I feel a lil safer but have you seen the pilot helmet gas mask combo? it's so badass, so like I was saying wear w e you like cause at the end of the day headshots are very rare in this game and I've still one shotted someone with a ballistic helmet so go figure.

cowboy hat is all i need :)

How many Russians actually wear cowboy hats though in Russia? lol

I always wear the ballistic helmet - it doesn't make sense not to wear it being the only helmet that can give you an edge in a gunfight. I understand people wanting to max out their camo but it's at an obvious trade off to the protection offered by the helmet - a fair transaction. To the best of my knowledge I have never been spotted at range while wearing it and am satisfied with its level of camo though it could be better. Like everyone else I would really love to see more soviet bloc ballistic helmet options, and I expect that we will see things like:

Russian Spetsnaz K6-3 bulletproof helmet:

k63wvisordownfront.jpg

The Romanian 1973:

helmetRomanianM73.jpg

Soviet fireman's helmet:

409708d1350080460-red-army-fireman-helme

Edited by Old_Crow_Whiskey
  • Like 5

The ballistic helm is big and bulky, it's easy to spot. It affords very little protection against any decent fire arm. I've tested it with a buddy before and a single shot from a revolver at 15 meters iced me and the helm.

It offers no noticeable benefit than a motorcycle helm. (Other than it CAN protect against a .45 but if I see you with a ballistic, i'm just going to pump a mag into your chest)

It's quite frankly garbage. Prefer to roll with my baseball cap, looks cooler, and reduces my silhouette.  

Edited by Daemonkid

How many Russians actually wear cowboy hats though in Russia? lol

Not many. And those who do are usually made fun of. Like "look, there is a cowboy walking". But there are few public people in Russia that made it an integral part of their appearance.

The thing is a mosin shot is not the only thing the ballistic is going to protect you from. Even frantic CQC will often yield a stray shot to the head. If you can take 1 more shot than the enemy and you're both spraying whatever you have.. chances are that's enough to make you the last guy standing.

Mosin CQC is still often the case from my experience. If you hit your first shot, grats, you won the fight. If not, you are most likely dead.

A motor cycle helmet gives similar protection. Also, a pristine ballistic helmet doesn't usually stop a kill shot from a mosin. Even a direct hit to the helmet will often kill. The only round it can save you from consistently is a .45 or M4 round, and even then, how many rounds are coming in on you?

044379-1.jpg

Helmets like this NEED to be in the game as it makes more sense to the region and past era of the games history.

Edited by Deathlove

Not many. And those who do are usually made fun of. Like "look, there is a cowboy walking". But there are few public people in Russia that made it an integral part of their appearance.

Your goofy shanka hats would be made fun of here as well. But not so much in Michigan its cold as hell most of the time.

I am currently wearing a pilot helmet because I think it looks cool but would love to paint it and hope it has some bullet/punch protection .

This. Everything with a solid surface that has a reasonable chance of being visible on the body or hands, should be capable of being spray painted. Would they even really need to make new textures? I literally have no idea what's involved in this, but I would think you could basically reuse the same camo patterns for most of the items in the game. The fact that two weapons and a helmet are paintable would seem to suggest that they would go that direction, but it also seems like the kind of thing that could never quite be a priority.

Also, the tactical helmet could really benefit from these things Rocket has probably used in real life called KEVLAR COVERS. These magical pieces of fabric come with camo patterns printed on them, so a military doesn't have to buy new helmets every time they go to war in a new biome. You would find more of that kind of trash lying around a military base than unsecured M4s and ACOGs. People sign for that stuff. You'd find it on a corpse or not at all.

Oh, and it'd be really cool if that sun-visor on the pilot helmet could actually be lowered, maybe with a tinted god-ray reducing effect? Obviously, that kind of stuff is at the bottom of the priority list, but it would add a really nice touch.

Edited by McGarnagle

This. Everything with a solid surface that has a reasonable chance of being visible on the body or hands, should be capable of being spray painted. Would they even really need to make new textures? I literally have no idea what's involved in this, but I would think you could basically reuse the same camo patterns for most of the items in the game.

Also, the tactical helmet should have these things Rocket has probably used in real life called a KEVLAR COVER. These magical pieces of fabric come with camo patterns printed on them, so a military doesn't have to buy new helmets every time they go to war in a new biome. You would find more of that kind of trash lying around a military base than unsecured M4s and ACOGs. People sign for that stuff. You'd find it on a corpse or not at all.

I wanna be able to paint helmets and clothing bright colors though to. Not just military or camo colors. All of these types of options could be easily implemented with a few extra types of spray paint colors and mixture options.

Lol @ 'rugby helmet' :facepalm:

Would love to see Chernorussian police / fire service helmets.

I would love any additions as flavor.

There need to be some good alternatives to it, or reasons to wear other hats like the ones that are coming. Right now there would be no practical reason to wear, say, a green radar cap instead of the helmet. Perhaps the ballistic helmet should hinder certain aspects of the game due to its bulkiness, I am not sure. But at the moment its a helm that can camo well and offers the best protection, an obvious winner over anything else.

A weight, stamina and awareness system should answer if you really need to carry a kevlar helmet and vest and a lmg with 1000 rounds of ammo. A motorcycle helmet should affect your fov and hearing, wearing heavy gear should affect you speed, stamina and diet. Nothing comes without a drawback. Only then will you make players think about what is more important to them.

Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain

Edited by Enforcer

My personal preference with my ttsko gear is the green radar cap actually... with a respirator and designed sun glasses. Something about the look just appeals to me, even if it offers less protection I feel it matches the camo better and fits in with my "sniper" style better as well. 

A weight, stamina and awareness system should answer if you really need to carry a kevlar helmet and best and a lmg with 1000 rounds of ammo. A motorcycle helmet should affect your fov and hearing, wearing heavy gear should affect you speed, stamina and diet. Nothing comes without a drawback. Only Then will you make players think about what is more important to them.

Im just waiting for the mini gun...... XD

• Like 1

Im just waiting for the mini gun...... XD

If you strap some wings you can at least use the recoil to propel yourself :lol:

• Like 1

If you strap some wings you can at least use the recoil to propel yourself :lol:

Now all i need is a super hero cape and a hand made bone horn to announce my presence and all shall be complete! 8D MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 1

if someone already proposed this, then I apologize, but support the idea. If not, I claim all credit for saying it first:

MARPAT covers. In the US military, our Kevlar helms can be wrapped in a digi cammo cloth that is woodland pattern on one side, and desert pattern on the other (or other patterns, depending on the branch). Along the rim of the wrap are little loops through which Velcro straps (which are themselves part of the interior of the helmet) are inserted that hold it in place.

It would be awesome if we could find different patterned covers: urban, woodland, naval, flat (solid color, not cammo), etc. As well as maybe different pattern types (splotch, spatter, digital, etc.).

if someone already proposed this, then I apologize, but support the idea. If not, I claim all credit for saying it first:

MARPAT covers. In the US military, our Kevlar helms can be wrapped in a digi cammo cloth that is woodland pattern on one side, and desert pattern on the other (or other patterns, depending on the branch). Along the rim of the wrap are little loops through which Velcro straps (which are themselves part of the interior of the helmet) are inserted that hold it in place.

It would be awesome if we could find different patterned covers: urban, woodland, naval, flat (solid color, not cammo), etc. As well as maybe different pattern types (splotch, spatter, digital, etc.).

Or we can just combine different spratpaints to form patterns like we can with the mosin. This has nothing to do with the issue at hand tho.