TheMachine

Why aren't there 'fat' characters in DayZ?

the reason is lack of resources. both team-wise and engine-wise.

one body type, one type of gear.

• Like 2

You know...beside all the talk about fat characters and such,i really really would like to see fat zombies in game,

something like the Juggernauts on State of Decay.

Juggernaughtportrait.jpg
sod_juggernaut.jpg

I hate those fuckers.

• Like 1

Because fat chunks like the OP cant run and if you cant run, you cant escape the zombie hordes and thus your brainz get munched on.

• Like 1

the reason is lack of resources. both team-wise and engine-wise.

one body type, one type of gear.

But but.... think of the Immersion.....

DID ANYONE THINK ABOUT THE IMMERSION.......

(Didn't think so.....)

Funny how we are having debate over a troll post.

Devs could ofc make fat models, but it would require a lot of work to adjust clothing for fatties, plus most likely lots of motion capturing etc.

Don't think such ammount of work would pay off in the end.

• Like 1

We can choose our skin colour, our outfits and our gear, yet we can't choose to make characters that are different body types?

As a big guy (see avatar) I really feel like I've been left out in the cold here, especially in a game that trumpets hyper realism in so many other ways.

Perhaps fat characters could move slower but have a higher resistance to starvation and cold?

PS. Being fat is beautiful, don't let anyone bring you down my brothers. 

Because the fat people only exist in North America.. the rest of the world knows how to control themselves around food.

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 3

Knowing this game, I expect fat characters would be instantly KOS'd.

You know...beside all the talk about fat characters and such,i really really would like to see fat zombies in game,

something like the Juggernauts on State of Decay.

Juggernaughtportrait.jpg
sod_juggernaut.jpg

DUDE THAT THING RIPPED ME THE FUCK APART! >.<

Lol @ fat guys talking about how diet and exercise doesnt work.

Here's a tip, if you're still fat, you're doing it wrong. Believe me, I've tried. I do this for a living.

• Like 1

Epic troll is epic. The fatties have all been eaten by the Zeds already. They would have more reserves to weather it I guess, but what if you need to run to the hills? Nah, bro... *you are dead". Also, probably ran out of insulin pens and died of ketoazidotic coma. Or had an infected skin wound which wouldn't heal on their lower legs...because how would they reach there to bandage it? So many examples. And fat is NOT beautiful. Some fat is mandatory for survival, and I do want to discourage young girls and boys from looking like they might have been starving for months or just overcame cancer as an "ideal". Let there be healthy mediums! yay!

But for god's sake, I want character customization? Rocket, you kinda promised! Noooo....the letdown!

Edited by Traveler

One more thing: this being fat is beautiful bullshit has to stop.

Is being addicted to drugs beautiful? Being overweight and worse obese is not only extremely unhealthy but dangerous to your health and a burden on our health care system. Its a self inflicted condition of living in a world of excess and lazyness and in tired of people making ot worse by perpetuating this lie that its okay and normal.

To be more succinct, what MrJizz said is actually very accurate.

• Like 2

Because it's post apocalypse, and we've no idea on how many years it's been in effect, people in poor condition who are morbidly obese would of either sir-come to the elements, or became zombie food because they couldn't have gotten away fast enough, myself being a large guy I know that I would be screwed because I have low endurance and my weight would hold me back and slow me down, so I would be dead soon after the "beanz" hit the fan.

I do agree on wanting to make my character look different, but this is ALPHA and character changes are low on the dev's list of to-do's.

• Like 1

Its alpha, and for that theres a very simple character customization, largely to do with two main reasons:

1. They may be planning it but have not implemented it yet, instead of complaining about t not being in suggest it to the devs

2. Character customization done like say skyrim would put a big load on the server and seeing as the game os in the most part un optimised it may cause even worse lag,

Oh no, the alpha mantra again? It's probably pretty safe to say you'll only be able to pick your face and gender in this game due to the way the animation system works.

As for your second point, how come MMORPGs can offer such a wide variety of char customisation without any trouble?

Skyrim's customisation is nothing but a base-mesh with modifiers applied to it, you only need to compute those offsets once and that's client-side when the char owner starts up DayZ. After that you send out that data to each connected person once. It's no different from what's being done now with your face and gender. It may be a bit more data but it's not going to put a big load on the server nor will it cause any lag as it's information that's sent out only once when you connect.

• Like 1

I mean, im not even overweight, but i have very low endurance.... im a sprinter. If i couldnt hide within say, 5-7 mintues of full out sprinting, im toasting. Id have to stand and fight if i didnt have a gun, i think, because ive trained in extended fighting, and can use my energy better that way. but really, i think that fat people, unless they were the type that are like grizzly bears, (you know, the guys you look at and say, what a fat ass, but then he lifts a refrigerator or some shit) or were super smart, or prepared with adequate food and proper location (lots of american preppers ive seen are tipping towards moderately overweight) would be super fucked by the slow and lumbering movements, and high visibility of all that fat. also, as an american, fat aint beautiful, and please dont encourage that shit. i agree with the multiple people who say that the fatties got the kibash early on. Especially this being a post soviet state, where the fat would not be prepared because they wouldnt have the money to prep like american preppers, they wouldnt be super smart, due to hat can be assumed to be a lacking education, what with 6-7 schools in the whole country, and the ones who were fucking grizzly types would prolly have lost a ton of weight due to the excessive movement.

We can choose our skin colour, our outfits and our gear, yet we can't choose to make characters that are different body types?

As a big guy (see avatar) I really feel like I've been left out in the cold here, especially in a game that trumpets hyper realism in so many other ways.

Perhaps fat characters could move slower but have a higher resistance to starvation and cold?

I dont think anyone would be overweight with the amount of running u do in Dayz.

Imagine urself in the zombie apocalypse...no more Mc Donalds for u fatty...and u better run like hell when the zombies come.

U would get slim pretty fast.

well regardless there needs to be some variety in weight though too. I mean they dont have to be FAST if there fat but they can hit WAY harder and crap like that. And the possibility of soaking up more bullets. We do need some different skin types size and weight types regardless. Even more messed up zombies like ones maybe missing an arm or exposed skeletal structures and crap.

You know, i guess a lot of it depends on upbringing anyways. At 17, im pretty damn weak, but my weight, according to my doctor is right where it should be for a young man at 6'1" height. but, i need more muscle. The thing is, for the first 16 years of my life, i lived on a river, so i swam a lot. So when i joined police training class up at the technical school, we started working out at the YMCA. there were guys in there who were fucking built. I mean, the type who say, "look at my muscles, my dick must be huge". (of course this was a farming community, so we all threw haybales every year, but they went the extra mile and hit the weights after.) but when they got in the pool, and said they wanted to race me, showing off to girlfriends and whatnot, I soundly whooped their asses, because i swam against the currents in the river all the time. If i were in chernarus, id make better time down the coast swimming than walking. im sure each person has a different "element" that suits them better than the next guy.

Actually you'd lose muscle mass before you lost fat, fat takes months to lose (believe me I've tried).

Lol does it crap. Take it from me, I'm either pretty trim and dashing or a gut bucket. I tend to yo yo by 30 odd pounds, (13 kg).

When I was a pork-monster I woke u one day and thought f**k this I need to do some thing about my weight.

I started by shambling about 3/4 of a mile around 1km  and increased that by .25 km every day for four days. I also increased how much cycling I did.

I lost  3 kg in the first week and a half and as I kept at it it took me a couple of months to lose 10 kg.

I've recently due to injury and lazyness put back on 10kg, but luckliy apart form the beer belly I'm still fairly fit and have started running 5-6km a day for 4 times a week. If I keep this up I reckon I will lose  the 10  kg in 6 weeks max. I aim to increase my cycling again and will try and burn 1500 calories 4 days a week and cut back on the beer. 1500 calories 4 times a week through exercise always means I lose weight.

You just have to work at it.

Your avatar is fucking gross, man. Are you naked? That is disgusting.

Your avatar is fucking gross, man. Are you naked? That is disgusting.

I've seen that on Tosh.O or something on Comedy Central it won't be him.

But but.... think of the Immersion.....

DID ANYONE THINK ABOUT THE IMMERSION.......

(Didn't think so.....)

You just want your Muffins back. :D

As for your second point, how come MMORPGs can offer such a wide variety of char customisation without any trouble?

Because they don't use a skeleton where you hit single bodyparts. Just think of the design it would take to adjust for every single bodysize, because it does check whether your arm's been hit or not ,whereas normal MMORPG's don't have that.

• Like 2