TEST_SUBJECT_83

Deans wants to bring Base Building Mechanics from Dead Linger - video

Bahaha, this engine has a hard time running as an fps.  Imagine it with base building and people building random shit all over the place.  Bad idea is bad but hey, Mr. Hall made his millions so he can piss it away as he pleases with stupid ideas like this

I take it you've never played the mod?

I'd like to think you can hold a base in the numerous amount of open buildings in the game. 

I'd like to think you can hold a base in the numerous amount of open buildings in the game. 

Are you aware how exploitable this can be and how much grief you can do with that?

I continue to be flabbergasted at how all these tiny little indie companies can make games and mechanics that look like this and Bohemia struggles everyday to have proper physics, dynamic lighting, and sound. 

• Like 1

The first version will be underground and fortifications because its easier for the server. He mentioned he would like to have full building at some point though.

Underground (limited, for storage holes, fox holes and trenches) and fortifications are a good idea.

But I hope they never go full building. Not if your aiming for realism. Simply collecting materials and placing a construction after a simply animation will totally go against everything currently in dayz.

E.g. (for fortifications)

If you need large chip boards do the following:

Either find or steal

or

-Chop down tree

-Take wood to factory (mill)

-Then Use fuel to power generator for mill

-Use mill to make chip board

-Carry one board at a time (of use car / van) to transport

I take it you've never played the mod?

Rofl. that wasn't base building, that was map editing.  And Epoch, if that's what your attempting to refer to was a piece of shit.

After watching his latest stream, I am convinced this project is doomed. 

He is such a child. 

Edited by VictorM
  • Like 1

Rofl. that wasn't base building, that was map editing.  And Epoch, if that's what your attempting to refer to was a piece of shit.

Wow you are talking a whole lot of bullshit. Whats your point now why cant we have base building in DayZ? 

Wow you are talking a whole lot of bullshit. Whats your point now why cant we have base building in DayZ? 

Bahaha, this engine has a hard time running as an fps.  Imagine it with base building and people building random shit all over the place.  Bad idea is bad but hey, Mr. Hall made his millions so he can piss it away as he pleases with stupid ideas like this

i dont think its going to work. building a house somewhere in the woods instead of using a house thats already on every map is pretty cool. but im sure thats not what everyone will think\do. 

i mean, i really dont want to see woodn castles in cherno.  :|

I just don't see how this kind of base construction would work in DayZ. To be honest, at times it does seem Dean has no set idea of where he wants to go with this game.

How the fuck do you have 500 posts here and not realize that Rocket has been planning this from this start?

I continue to be flabbergasted at how all these tiny little indie companies can make games and mechanics that look like this and Bohemia struggles everyday to have proper physics, dynamic lighting, and sound. 

Tiny group working on dayz ? maybe they just need some outside talent and more man power.

Once the zombies are as dangerous and numerous as they ought to be, defendable bases and teamplay will become almost critical for survival. Or at least, thats how i imagine a zombie apocalypse. Besides, i want to be able to burry a can of beans in an undisclosed hole in the ground. You know, in case of apocalypse.

Underground bases solve many obvious problems and should take enough time and effort to keep us happy for a while.

Who would be willing to sacrifice realism in favor of epic aboveground bases, walls flooded with zombies and last ditch awesomeness?

imo bases in dayz should adhere to realism as much as possible, preferably without having to spend more than 5 seconds to place a part.

Looks lame imo.

Rust base building still craps on this.

Imo you either gotta beat rust at base building or don't even bother half assing it.

Or Rocket will blow our minds with a sexy mechanic that takes 50 shits on Rust.

• Like 1

The base building in that video is terrible, it's gary's mod style where you need to rotate every single piece!

I'd prefer that Dayz not have base building, or at the very most base building such as tents, holes, boarding up existing houses and underground.

Custom made houses polluting Chernarus will look rediculous.

Because DayZ mod had base building before Rust. 

ohh! snap!

god that looks horrendous. the mechanics looks great, but the materials should snap in increments instead of having full range of motion, so to speak.

it would be cool to have this in DayZ

The dead linger is still alpha I'm sure theyll get to that at some point (increment snaps) other people may start punching monitors

...it needs to make it uniqely its own. Or it needs its own, unique, method of building....

No it doesn't.

Stop perpetuating the "Not Invented Here" syndrome.

If dean hall wants base building he doesn't even have to code it up... just start talking to the guy making this Arma 3 mod:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160331-Modular-Construction-Mod-by-NerdMod

I hope people won't be too angry if they decide to ditch base building and just allow tents.

I pretty much guarantee you that most people will drop it faster than they can login to an Epoch Arma 3 server. (epoch is already far and beyond more popular than the vanilla dayz mod).

Edited by airtonix

If you want base building, go by some Lego  <_< .  Aside from that, how are they going to do this with server hopping?  Your magical base that you "map edit" in goes with you?  What if your base is on top of someone elses now?  This idea is so full of fail it hurts.

Edited by Caboose187

I've been thinking about it and it might be just as important to discuss what we don't want from base building.

*Freedom: I don't want us to have it. You can't preserve any sense of immersion with giant pen0r monuments.
*Permanent Structures: Anything we build should look scrapped together, ramshod, I don't want it looking professional aesthetically.
*Complex Structures: I don't want to see anything overly elaborate really. I don't want -anyone- feeling "safe" ...temporarily secure, but never safe.
*Lack of Structural Integrity: I don't want to see Minecrafty/Rustish structures that don't require probable amounts of support.
*Invincible Structures: Structures should both take damage and degrade over time from lack of maintenance. Bigger camps might even attract Zeds.
*Walls that do not require maintenance: At the very least, walls should require maintenance. It should be a group effort to constant scavenge for materials.
*Bank: I don't want to see a bank or storage type that is only accessible by me. Storage is fine, if anyone can access it and rob me.

Edited by Rudette

best building ive played upto yet is on just cause 2 mp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Il3bWv6Rs

you can buikd very good things quite quickly.

rust building is okay but very very crude. leave epoch on the mod. take the best bits out add to game. which is just base building :lol:

one thing with bases it would be nice so that they are fully destructable .

No survivor in their right minds is going to build a huge shack/house

Base building needs to start like such:

What they will do is make a camp. Water > shelter > food 

Everything needed is already in game, or easily (lol) implemented 

You start with a fire and some rocks pitch your tents. For the tents you would need those sticks and then some kind of cloth presto done. To cook faster you'd need a gas burner. (also you need matches to turn it on) 

Now for the actual base. Those previously useless burlap sacks now become the rarest items because you fill your mountain backpack with them hike up to your camp. Now you get your trench shovel out start digging. As you dig you fill the burlap sacks and craft sandbags. Arrange the sandbags to your liking and happy dayz. Add tunnels trenches and store things military foot lockers. Home sweet home

Then off to the tents at the airfields to fetch some camo netting together with some bushes that you could uproot or something and you have a simple logical base.

Those sandbag guard towers at the tents with the wooden platform on top is a good example. 

You could get a little more complex those small guard towers are a bit useless but if you could make a taller tower say one telephone pole with a platform on top like a crows nest you'd have a effective lookout tower. 

Plywood and 2x4s should only be available from existing structures and maybe the biggest supply would be from the lumber mill making it a hotly contested area. You can make a small shack but anything larger should be extremely fragile. Their use should mainly be to corner off streets building them on to existing structures to form a base made of 4 houses close together. Barb wire etc with a gate or something.

Carrying building items(material +tools) takes a lot of space no room for excessive food or ammo

The more you build your character should get better at it lots of digging = ability to dig tunnels etc  

Edited by Method-SA

best building ive played upto yet is on just cause 2 mp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Il3bWv6Rs

you can buikd very good things quite quickly.

rust building is okay but very very crude. leave epoch on the mod. take the best bits out add to game. which is just base building :lol:

one thing with bases it would be nice so that they are fully destructable .

The problem with such a system is, that players not forced to build nice things. They can build things looking like shit.

Same in Sims. Some have skill, others build like 8 year old kid.

I love tents, no one destroy the awesome map. :P

• Like 1