TEST_SUBJECT_83

Deans wants to bring Base Building Mechanics from Dead Linger - video

Players build bad looking things, thats the problem in Epoch.

Same problem exist in dead linger.

That's the reason, why I like it simple (dayz mod).

Just make it so you can't build more than two stories high, and that floors and stairs must be supported by walls, then you solve the giant tower problem.

It would be great for some stuff but I hope we still get tents as well,  nothing better than a lone tent buried in a pine tree somewhere obscure for keeping stuff safe :)

• Like 1

I kinda think base building is a bit silly beyond a certain rudimentary level.

I mean if you think about it, what are you more likely to do in a survival situation; waste a fuckload of time building a rickety wooden base from scratch, or use the valuable materials that you have to fortify an existing structure? 

I think fortification would be cool, but wooden structures built from scratch is stupid and makes no sense, I dunno why people value the concept so much.

• Like 12

Really, all they would have to do is add a few key items into the game.. rather than people building huge bases out of plywood, you could add some of the following items:

-Ladders (made from pieces of wood that we currently find around, along with rope)

-Ramps (Made from several pieces of wood)

-Doors (taken from buildings, found, or created)

-Barricades (Found, or filled up sand bags)

-Bricks (found)

-Logs (harvested from trees)

You don't need a super complex system.. Just items which allow you to actually climb/walk up to high levels, some operable doors/gates, and some kind of walls/barricades.

I mean if you think about it, what are you more likely to do in a survival situation; waste a fuckload of time building a rickety wooden base from scratch, or use the valuable materials that you have to fortify an existing structure? 

I think fortification would be cool, but wooden structures built from scratch is stupid and makes no sense, I dunno why people value the concept so much.

I'm pretty much in complete agreement..

How cool would it be to create some ladders and climb to the top of Devils castle, and barricade most of the entrances, though?

I saw many epoch servers where admin and his friends fortified castles and make them their bases. It was horrible becouse I had no tools to destroy it and even when I did, admins just rebuilded it.

What would you use those fortified structures for though? Surely not for storing anything of any value. From gameplay perspective, the only kind of "base building" that makes sense in this game is tents/small stashes imo.

What would you use those fortified structures for though? Surely not for storing anything of any value. From gameplay perspective, the only kind of "base building" that makes sense in this game is tents/small stashes imo.

I saw admins and his friends hoarding helicopters in them.

I was planing to put my tent in a room, on an unknown floor of an unknown apartment of an unknown city of an unknown server.

I think it might be safer there, as people does not bother searching every level and every room of an loot free apartment. Jungles will be much more insecure as people will try to hunt there.

I was planing to put my tent in a room, on an unknown floor of an unknown apartment of an unknown city of an unknown server.

I think it might be safer there, as people does not bother searching every level and every room of an loot free apartment. Jungles will be much more insecure as people will try to hunt there.

placing tents in buildings will be probably blocked.

Crafting is a necessity for the longevity of Dayz. And I would like to see a monetary system like Tackistan life adopted. People would still trade and work to restore some normality as they naturally formed relationships and trust was established.

The map is big enough to accommodate this as well as keeping the traditional PVP aspects of the game.

However seen as there is no facility to even respawn loot and no clear indicator as to when this will happen crafting / economy seem like a lifetime away and I don’t believe at the current rate of progression people will still be playing this game in a years time. Our clan lasted 3 weeks.

It’s nearly March.

Edited by Tomo2000uk

I saw admins and his friends hoarding helicopters in them.

Second that I saw the exact same thing on some of the servers. I even saw what can only be described as palatial palaces far in the north for admins and paid up server users. They were innaccessible, indestructible and which in some cases actually teleported you if you got too close.

• Like 1

Crafting is a necessity for the longevity of Dayz. And I would like to see a monetary system like Tackistan life adopted. People would still trade and work to restore some normality as they naturally formed relationships and trust was established.

The map is big enough to accommodate this as well as keeping the traditional PVP aspects of the game.

However seen as there is no facility to even respawn loot and no clear indicator as to when this will happen crafting / economy seem like a lifetime away and I don’t believe at the current rate of progression people will still be playing this game in a years time. Our clan lasted 3 weeks.

It’s nearly March.

You shouldn't have bought the game then, you were clearly warned not to. Dean Hall himself has said it's not really worth buying at the mo.

It’s nearly March.

So your clan is a bunch of people who can not read the multiple warnings telling you that this game is in Production. 

I've been playing the mod for over a year and I don't plan on stopping DayZ anytime soon.

DayZ all has insane replay value as there is no end game yet. 

I generally like the idea of having physics on the objects so you can build much like that game. But one thing that is absolutely essential is the ability to work using a grid. Being able to snap objects to both world/relative directions would be very appreciated.

god that looks horrendous. the mechanics looks great, but the materials should snap in increments instead of having full range of motion, so to speak.

it would be cool to have this in DayZ

I disagree, I think it should control like it does in the video, without snap.

This would allow structural integrity to come into play based on well the base has been constructed. You'll see first time basebuilders putting together shoddy teepees, with groups advanced in the process working together to make strong and proper bases.

• Like 2

god that looks horrendous. the mechanics looks great, but the materials should snap in increments instead of having full range of motion, so to speak.

A snap-to-grid and a free-rotate mode would be great.  Sometimes you might want that full range of motion to place a weird decoration/board/item.

I'm not that familiar with the inner programming of the game, but considering that even fall damage is not being calculated correctly, doesn't "dynamic building of objects in the game world" require much more physics than DayZ ahs to offer?

I just hope for not super durpy bases, I don't know, like a giant staircase to heaven in electro, or some ridiculous bridge that cant possibly work going across 2 cities, BUT I would be cool for people building roof top sort of bridges with some long boards

• Like 1

Any idea of the timestamp where he mentions the base building?

This is all I can find.. 

"The standalone game, which Hall anticipates arriving before the end of the year, could eventually have “instanced” building: player-driven construction in the game consisting of underground bases that would be instanced from “portals,” represented by grates in the ground, across the game world of Chernarus."

And:

Once they have things really stable and solid, like a really good experience, they we will start with base construction. So yes, this is something Dean Hall wants to see. Both underground in Cherno and some kind of base building. But we are talking Q4 2013 at best here (probably as an entirely new game mode)(source).
Edited by jumling

When I want to play as bob the builder I fire up minecraft. I build some astonishing things in survival mode. I just don't see myself wanting to build in dayz, no matter what system they come up with it will not be as intuitive and fun as building in minecraft and if by chance it is it will result in structures that shouldn't exist, breaking immersion. A big problem for me is that I do not want to see the crappy monstrosities that most players will build, either because they don't care about making structures level/square or because the construction interface will be limited. And while my structures tend to be square, symmetrical, in line with the laws of physics and functional I seriously doubt many people want to see what i have to build.

Having said that,

Looking around Cheranus I do see a lot of material that could be used in base construction, stacks of concrete slabs found near construction sights, stacks of logs found in industrial areas and along logging roads, sandbags found near military installations, pallets full of bricks and even the cargo crates found around the land could be interesting if we could move them with vehicles. If freestanding building is implemented some incredible work could be done with whats there.

I am much more in favor of fortification, sure fortified buildings will become endgame content for PVPers, and certain sites will quickly become the most popular, but that does kinda fit an apocalypse. Someone has the man power and resources to fortify a nice defensible structure? Lets kill them and steal their supplies!

Underground instanced structures are fine by me, I do have questions and doubts about how they could be implemented so as to not become exploitable or deathtraps.

Edited by Franchi

I disagree, I think it should control like it does in the video, without snap.

This would allow structural integrity to come into play based on well the base has been constructed. You'll see first time basebuilders putting together shoddy teepees, with groups advanced in the process working together to make strong and proper bases.

I kind of dislike the idea of having to spend enormous amounts of time just to navigate with a clunky interface/control scheme. It sounds fun, but in reality it would be a lot of frustration when you accidently knock an object into the wrong angle again, which means you'd have to start over when positioning it.

• Like 1

Bahaha, this engine has a hard time running as an fps.  Imagine it with base building and people building random shit all over the place.  Bad idea is bad but hey, Mr. Hall made his millions so he can piss it away as he pleases with stupid ideas like this