alexeistukov

The Community's List of Suggested Weapons for Dayz Standalone (Version: 1.29)

RPD, RPK, RPK-74 and PKM make sense. PKM makes the most sense. Pecheneg is meh. Mk48 makes the least sense, I heard it was being phased out as well. M240 would just a less fitting PKM clone and perhaps FN MAG too. M249/FN Minimi is somewhat conspicuously missing. I think the only reason people would want M240s and Mk48s is because they were in the mod so "they must" be in the standalone or it feels like something's missing.

If there was US military involvement, such as the w.ar with the chedaki or if NATO just got involved with the zombie situation, they would for sure bring their GPMG, most likely the MAG/M240

Gotta vote for the RPK, its an AK and a half. 50% thicker receiver, 50% larger trunnion, 50% longer barrel, weighs ~50% more, 50% larger magazine

AKs74:

Weight: 7 Lbs

Receiver thickness: 1 mm

Flat Trunnion

Standard Magazine : 30 rounds

Barrel length: 16 inches

Total length: 37.1 inches

RPKs74

Weight: 10.7 Lbs

Receiver thickness: 1.5 mm

Bulged Trunnion

Standard Magazine : 45 rounds

Barrel length: 24 inches

Total length: 45.7 inches (with current hardware)

Again, its basically an AK * 1.5

Edited by Avtomat

I voted yes for PKM and the M240 and no for RPK-74 and PKP. Didn't really have an opinion on the other two.

I figure an Eastern LMG and a NATO LMG is enough for now. The RPK-74 looks a whole lot like an AK and the PKP looks a lot like the PKM. Seems as though there's not much point in adding them considering their similarity and probable rarity.

Can't say I'd complain if all of these weapons were added, though.

A good idea would be bringing in many examples of M240s/FN MAGs and M249s/FN MINIMIs from various nations and making the barrels,buttstocks,covers and receivers separate parts that can be mixed and matched to jury-rig a working example.

Added the Smith and Wesson Model 19 Revolver

How about the AR7 survival gun, it's 22lr and can be dissassembled and stored in its hollow stock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-7

The likely-hood of finding that in Chernarus is...?

Added the Hatchet and the Tire Iron.

PKM is the one I want most from the list.

If we must see a US one, I would like the Mk 48

Either one of the PK series. 75mag AKM and bipod is kinda already RPK (or is it yet possible). I'm not interested yet in those M guns.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Either one of the PK series. 75mag AKM and bipod is kinda already RPK (or is it yet possible). I'm not interested yet in those M guns.

However, the AKM is 7.62x39mm while the RPK-74 is 5.45x39mm. We need to give 5.45x39mm more of a use when it is put in.  The RPK-74 is also designed to be a light machine gun, while the AKM is designed to be an Assault Rifle, not a machine gun.  The AKM also derived from the Kalashnikov AK-47 (7.62x39mm), while the RPK-74 derived from the more modern version of the AK type rifles (AK-74).  

Edited by AlexeiStukov

Poll will be taken down today (May 29th, 2014) at 8:30pm Eastern U.S. Time. Vote while you still can!

The likely-hood of finding that in Chernarus is...?

They're pretty damn common in civilian circles from what I gather and one could say the same about Blazers, Longhorns, M1911s and Colt Pythons in regard to finding them in cherno, the thing about civilian weapons is you can never tell what you're gonna find where, I recall finding a bolt and bayonet off a Japanese rifle in an old trunk in my grandparents house in Ireland.

• Like 1

I agree, American military weapons should be chopper crash only and rare at them, However the RPK is a heavy barrelled AKM which makes it more accurate at range and more suited to sustained fire for when they add proper weapon conditions and that post was referring to the 74 variant, which was the same as the RPK only based off the AK74

Edited by a_ruttle

They're pretty damn common in civilian circles from what I gather and one could say the same about Blazers, Longhorns, M1911s and Colt Pythons in regard to finding them in cherno, the thing about civilian weapons is you can never tell what you're gonna find where, I recall finding a bolt and bayonet off a Japanese rifle in an old trunk in my grandparents house in Ireland.

Yeah, i can agree with you 100% now man.  Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibility of any firearm being anywhere.  I am the type of person that usually judges based off the current status of the specific area and the history of it as well.  Thanks again!  :)

I will consider adding it to the list in time for the next poll.  God Bless!

Yeah, i can agree with you 100% now man.  Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibility of any firearm being anywhere.  I am the type of person that usually judges based off the current status of the specific area and the history of it as well.  Thanks again!  :)

I will consider adding it to the list in time for the next poll.  God Bless!

I still think that the only military weapons in chernarus should be CDF, Guerilla and very rare russian/american types, also rarity of civilian weapons could also be determined by it's likelyhood of being there, like you're much more likely to find a Mosin in chernarus than say a lee enfield or other weapon like it

Thought about adding a new section called Ammunition Types, meaning i would list, describe, and explain why certain types of ammo would fit into Dayz. 

These include:

+P

AP (Armor Piercing)

Hollow Point

FMJ (Full Metal Jacket)

Magnum (Shotgun Shells)

Flechette (Shotgun Shells)

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by AlexeiStukov

Thought about adding a new section called Ammunition Types, meaning i would list, describe, and explain why certain types of ammo would fit into Dayz. 

These include:

+P

AP (Armor Piercing)

Hollow Point

FMJ (Full Metal Jacket)

Magnum (Shotgun Shells)

Thoughts anyone?

I would love an expansion on the shotgun shells available. You may as well add slugs to that list, since they are no longer lootable and very few actually exist.

Machine Gun poll has been taken down and the results will be put up shortly!

I would love an expansion on the shotgun shells available. You may as well add slugs to that list, since they are no longer lootable and very few actually exist.

Alright, i will add these ammunition types sometime this weekend most likely.

Thoughts anyone?

Not a big fan of ammo "types".

+P

A fairly pointless type that would only clutter up spawns, normal ammunition is ~90% as fast and thus would do 90% of the damage.

AP (Armor Piercing)

A very pointless type of ammunition, there are no armored vehicles in DayZ, normal rifle ammunition should go through any of the vehicles we should see as well as through walls and doors so there would be no difference. Armor-piercing ammunition for handguns is too rare and the game doesn't model body armor anyways.

Hollow Point

I don't like the idea of hollow points because I don't trust them to be adequately portrayed. They would probably give little thought to it and do something generic like "+50% damage" which brings all sorts of problems, consider the following cases with current damages:

7,62x39 = 5013 damage * 1,5 = 7520

7,62x51 = 8000 damage * 1,5 = 12000

9x19 = 2722 damage * 1,5 = 4083

.45 ACP = 4500 damage * 1,5 = 6750

The 9x19 JHP should do more damage than the .45 FMJ, the 7,62x39 SP should do more damage than the 7,62x51 FMJ, neither does and if you increase it to "2x" then every JHP will equal a 1-shot kill. Terrible representation.

Also there is the problem of calibers, a .243 JSP could do much more damage than a 7,62x39 JSP, a 7mm Mag could do more damage than a .416 Rigby with JSP but with FMJ the results could be reversed.

Also many people on /r/dayz seemed to think JHP won't go through vests, cars or barriers when FMJ will, JHP just harmlessly flattens on impact with anything that isn't air, which is just silly, especially with the rifle calibers.

Way too many potential inconsistencies and problems for me to want them to meddle with expanding ammunition. They won't do it right.

Magnum (Shotgun Shells)

Magnums are most popular with hunters going after waterfowl or turkeys thus a magnum shell would be more likely to be birdshot than buckshot or slugs, which is impossible (hundreds of pellets). Another problem is that in pump shotguns longer shells reduces capacity but the engine could have problems with that.

Way, way too exotic and rare. Vests don't actually stop projectiles so it's useless for that too.

You also forgot tracers: could be fun if unwise choice but I know people would be demanding tracers for .45, 9mm, .22, even buckshot - the only tracers should be in the military calibers. Unfortunately they inadvertently gave the Sporter and CZ tracers and "once they have a taste"...

Not a big fan of ammo "types".

A fairly pointless type that would only clutter up spawns, normal ammunition is ~90% as fast and thus would do 90% of the damage.

A very pointless type of ammunition, there are no armored vehicles in DayZ, normal rifle ammunition should go through any of the vehicles we should see as well as through walls and doors so there would be no difference. Armor-piercing ammunition for handguns is too rare and the game doesn't model body armor anyways.

I don't like the idea of hollow points because I don't trust them to be adequately portrayed. They would probably give little thought to it and do something generic like "+50% damage" which brings all sorts of problems, consider the following cases with current damages:

7,62x39 = 5013 damage * 1,5 = 7520

7,62x51 = 8000 damage * 1,5 = 12000

9x19 = 2722 damage * 1,5 = 4083

.45 ACP = 4500 damage * 1,5 = 6750

The 9x19 JHP should do more damage than the .45 FMJ, the 7,62x39 SP should do more damage than the 7,62x51 FMJ, neither does and if you increase it to "2x" then every JHP will equal a 1-shot kill. Terrible representation.

Also there is the problem of calibers, a .243 JSP could do much more damage than a 7,62x39 JSP, a 7mm Mag could do more damage than a .416 Rigby with JSP but with FMJ the results could be reversed.

Also many people on /r/dayz seemed to think JHP won't go through vests, cars or barriers when FMJ will, JHP just harmlessly flattens on impact with anything that isn't air, which is just silly, especially with the rifle calibers.

Way too many potential inconsistencies and problems for me to want them to meddle with expanding ammunition. They won't do it right.

Magnums are most popular with hunters going after waterfowl or turkeys thus a magnum shell would be more likely to be birdshot than buckshot or slugs, which is impossible (hundreds of pellets). Another problem is that in pump shotguns longer shells reduces capacity but the engine could have problems with that.

Way, way too exotic and rare. Vests don't actually stop projectiles so it's useless for that too.

You also forgot tracers: could be fun if unwise choice but I know people would be demanding tracers for .45, 9mm, .22, even buckshot - the only tracers should be in the military calibers. Unfortunately they inadvertently gave the Sporter and CZ tracers and "once they have a taste"...

...Can't we have some fun with the variety of ammo though?  It would just be flat out boring if we just keep finding the same old box of 9mm everytime..  I understand what you are saying Gews, but these ammo types could work (some of them).  Some of the things you are saying have not be implemented yet (vests resisting damage, armored vehicles, etc), so when they are we could use these to counter them partly.  Dayz has a long road ahead of it and i would not expect for various ammo types to be added right away.  I completely agree with that, however i am pretty sure they will show up sometime in the development of Dayz.  Thank you for your feedback and God Bless!

...Can't we have some fun with the variety of ammo though?  It would just be flat out boring if we just keep finding the same old box of 9mm everytime..  I understand what you are saying Gews, but these ammo types could work (some of them).

I understand what you are saying too but if something isn't done decently it just serves to annoy me. If they actually spent effort making it "authentic" it would be good. But I do doubt they will add ammo with a bunch of different projectiles when they won't even add 9x18mm, 5,45x39mm or 7,62x54R.

I understand what you are saying too but if something isn't done decently it just serves to annoy me. If they actually spent effort making it "authentic" it would be good. But I do doubt they will add ammo with a bunch of different projectiles when they won't even add 9x18mm, 5,45x39mm or 7,62x54R.

5.45x39mm and 7.62x54mm is being added (SVD Sniper Rifle and the AK-74 + AK-74m Assault Rifles)

Hope to god they add 9x18mm Makarov... think of how many weapons they could have if they did add it..

Edited by AlexeiStukov

5.45x39mm and 7.62x54mm is being added (SVD Sniper Rifle and the AK-74 + AK-74m Assault Rifles)

Hope to god they add 9x18mm Makarov... think of how many weapons they could have if they did add it..

Quote from Scubaman3D (Chris Torchia)

"what it comes down to is us really wanting to have the lowest possible number of calibers spawning in the game. Thats why we've only been adding in the most common types (9mm, .45, 12ga, 5.56, 7.62, etc...) and why we've been grouping similar kinds of ammo into one. Its the reason we haven't made a distinction between the mosin, blaze, longhorn, or eventually SVD ammo types. In reality these four are firing two different kinds of 7.62mm rounds but the performance characteristics are more or less the same. There was a time when we weren't even going to delineate between SKS and Mosin ammo but after some "enthusiastic" discussions, 7.62x39 was added (thankfully :)).

So if we add a Makarov pistol, its going to simply fire 9mmP instead 9mmM. If we add an AK74, it'll fire 5.56mm, not 5.45mm. Thats why I haven't added those in. Those of us who are real gun nuts would revolt (but I have a feeling the wider community dosn't give a crap as long as it looks cool :) )"

Quote from Scubaman3D (Chris Torchia)

"what it comes down to is us really wanting to have the lowest possible number of calibers spawning in the game. Thats why we've only been adding in the most common types (9mm, .45, 12ga, 5.56, 7.62, etc...) and why we've been grouping similar kinds of ammo into one. Its the reason we haven't made a distinction between the mosin, blaze, longhorn, or eventually SVD ammo types. In reality these four are firing two different kinds of 7.62mm rounds but the performance characteristics are more or less the same. There was a time when we weren't even going to delineate between SKS and Mosin ammo but after some "enthusiastic" discussions, 7.62x39 was added (thankfully :)).

So if we add a Makarov pistol, its going to simply fire 9mmP instead 9mmM. If we add an AK74, it'll fire 5.56mm, not 5.45mm. Thats why I haven't added those in. Those of us who are real gun nuts would revolt (but I have a feeling the wider community dosn't give a crap as long as it looks cool :) )"

You have got to be shitting me man :/

My hopes have literally just sunk when i read that...

Edited by AlexeiStukov
  • Like 1