alexeistukov

The Community's List of Suggested Weapons for Dayz Standalone (Version: 1.29)

Might not be Chris Torchia's decision eh?

Well, a great variety of calibers might actually, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, lead to people having to choose between a gun with a more commonly found caliber, or a better gun that uses ammo that is harder to find. I kinda like that idea. Get the poll up. ;)

Poll cannot be put up until I can confirm what questions I will put on it.

Edited by AlexeiStukov

If they fail to add various types of ammo, then count on us community members adding it when player mod support is added. I just cannot truly believe this.. Dayz is supposed to be realistic.. guess they are not aiming for a part of realism

Personally I'd vouch for this, for me part of the whole Survival aspect in terms of firearms is knowing what ammo goes with what gun, hell it would be grand if they added a feature that allow you to put in the wrong type of caliber for a gun. Like loading for example, if they decided to add 7,62x54 and 7,62x51, someone could mess up and load the wrong ammo in a mosin and the result is a damaged gun. At least then it would give me an excuse to use those weapon repair kits I keep hoarding

Poll cannot be put up until I can confirm what questions I will put on it.

I think a simple: 

A - generalize all weapon calibers into large categories to make spawns simpler (e.g. AK74 being 5.45x39 into 5.56x45 NATO)

B - give weapons a more accurate caliber whilst generalizing relatively similar calibers for a balance in spawns and realism (e.g. 9x19 parabellum and 9x18 makarov are 9mm; on the other hand 5.45 and 5.56 are different)

C - give all weapons their exact calibers to promote realism and make weaponry more unique

This doesn't seem biased to me personally, however I am of the opinion that generalizing as they are is going to breach the somewhat realistic nature of the game, make all weapons too similar and ruin specialization. In other words it really p*sses me off considering the game is supposed to be realistic and if they are going for weapon authenticity they can hardly bunk out on caliber.

On a seperate note what about a standard RPK, very similar to the '74 but wouold use the already modeled 7.62 drums and 30rnd mags.

RPK

rpk_01.jpg

RPK-74

rpk74.jpg

On a different note a reskin of the '74 may as well be added as the 74M:

rpk74m.jpg

Lootable, i am taking your suggestion on the voting poll.  Poll going up in a few mins  :)

Poll is up, everyone vote

FN SCAR-H and/or Mk 17

1gFGh0m.jpg

The Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR)[10] is a modular rifle made by FN Herstal (FNH) for the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) to satisfy the requirements of the SCAR competition.[11] This family of rifles consist of two main types. The SCAR-L, for "light", is chambered in the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge and the SCAR-H, for "heavy", fires 7.62×51mm NATO. Both are available in Long Barrel and Close Quarters Combat variants.

The FN SCAR systems completed low rate initial production testing in June 2007.[12] After some delays, the first rifles began being issued to operational units in April 2009, and a battalion of the US 75th Ranger Regiment was the first large unit deployed into combat with 600 of the rifles in 2009.[2] The US Special Operations Command has currently cancelled their purchase of the Mk 16 SCAR-L and are planning to remove the rifle from their inventory by 2013. However, they will purchase the Mk 17 SCAR-H version, and also plan to purchase 5.56 mm conversion kits for the Mk 17, supplanting the loss of the Mk 16.[13] The SCAR was one of the competing weapons in the Individual Carbine competition which aimed to find a replacement for the M4 Carbine.[14]

KAC SR-25/Mk 11/M110 or the LMT L129A1 (AR-10 derivatives in general)

913054_zps95425e81.jpg

tumblr_n3iro2AZ4Z1skaxu8o1_1280.jpg

The SR-25 (Stoner Rifle-25)[1] is a semi-automatic special application sniper rifle designed by Eugene Stoner and manufactured by Knight's Armament Company.[1]

The SR-25 uses a rotating bolt and a direct impingement gas system. It is loosely based on Stoner's AR-10, rebuilt in its original 7.62×51mm NATO caliber. Up to 60% of parts of the SR-25 are interchangeable with the AR-15 and M16—everything but the upper and lower receivers, the hammer, the barrel assembly and the bolt carrier group.[1] SR-25 barrels were originally manufactured by Remington Arms with its 5R (5 grooves, rounded) rifling, with twist 1:11.25 (1 complete turn in 11.25 inches or 286 millimetres). The heavy 20 in (510 mm) barrel is free-floating, so handguards are attached to the front of the receiver and do not touch the barrel.

First military purchase was spearheaded by the US Navy in the early 1990s; the first operational deployment and use of the SR-25 sniper rifle was with US Navy SEAL snipers supporting operations in Somalia in 1993.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-25

In 2009 Lewis Machine and Tool Co was chosen to supply the UK Ministry of Defence with 440 of the LM308MWS 7.62x51mm rifle[6] under the official service designation as the L129A1.[7] LMT has since supplied more than 3,000 to UK forces.[8]

LMT submitted the LM308MWS for an Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR) by the British Ministry of Defence for a semiautomatic 7.62 NATO caliber sharpshooter rifle. Other weapons submitted included the FN SCAR-H, HK417, Sabre Defence XR-10, and others. LMT's rifle was chosen as the winner and designated the L129A1. The integration of a designated marksman rifle for fast shooting out to 800 meters was an entirely new role for the British Army, having a weapon with range between 5.56 NATO assault rifles and .338 Lapua Magnum bolt-action sniper rifles. The L129A1 entered combat use in April 2010.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L129A1#Sharpshooter_rifle_.28L129A1.29

Edited by Katana67

FN SCAR-H and/or Mk 17

KAC SR-25/Mk 11/M110 or the LMT L191A1 (AR-10 derivatives in general)

I like the scar and i think both the SCAR-L AND SCAR-H and i think they should be added as they would make a great end game. One of those "HOLY SH*T I NEED TO KEEP THIS" kind of guns like the AS50 in the mod (pre mass duping).

The snipers, maybe the same deal as with the SCARs. Only if sniping is made hard.

I like the scar and i think both the SCAR-L AND SCAR-H and i think they should be added as they would make a great end game. One of those "HOLY SH*T I NEED TO KEEP THIS" kind of guns like the AS50 in the mod (pre mass duping).

The snipers, maybe the same deal as with the SCARs. Only if sniping is made hard.

Meh, we've already got an M4A1. Not sure what use a Mk 16 would have in-game that'd be different from an M4. I'm not opposed to it, but I'd much rather have a Mk 17 than a 16.

Meh, we've already got an M4A1. Not sure what use a Mk 16 would have in-game that'd be different from an M4. I'm not opposed to it, but I'd much rather have a Mk 17 than a 16.

Variation. Should we settle for two light assault rifles? People love variety, although if they were to make them  both i would prefer the MK17 to come first

Variation. Should we settle for two light assault rifles? People love variety, although if they were to make them  both i would prefer the MK17 to come first

He's probably just assuming they made one of the two variants, which is probably what will end up happening if they add it.

I think it would be good to have the poll run until the end of the month, anyone else agree?

Poll will remain up until the end of June because we must gather as much information as possible.

I'm all for realism in DayZ, but I think we all need to be realistic as well.  I can't speak for everybody, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'm more than happy to just use a similar caliber ammunition as long as it doesn't vary too much in relativity.

However, if the devs were to go the other route and create the absolute correct ammunition for every specific caliber, then I would probably get annoyed trying to find right bullets I need to use my gun when so many other possibilities would exist.   Not to mention this would probably greatly increase the risk of being detected and killed by bandits during such a search.

It's not ideal, I agree.  But at the end of the day, we all need to remember that this is still just a game, and therefore certain liberties must be made to order to prevent people from getting frustrated and loosing interest simply because the 9x19 rounds they found wouldn't fit in there 9x18 gun  :rolleyes:

Edited by SpardisJX

Didn't the devs say very early on they wanted to focus more on melee weapons and civilian firearms?

Why would people have a problem with having to treat ammunition from a high tier weapon very carefully? I also don't want my mosin chambered in a NATO round of course.

Didn't the devs say very early on they wanted to focus more on melee weapons and civilian firearms?

Why would people have a problem with having to treat ammunition from a high tier weapon very carefully? I also don't want my mosin chambered in a NATO round of course.

Civilian weapons generally have a much larger variety of types than military ones, for logistical reasons.

The U.S. military standard small-arms calibers are as follows (by order of weapons using said ammo);

-5.56x45mm

• M16A2/M16A4
  • M4/M4A1
  • GUU-5/P (CAR-15)
  • M231 FPW
  • Heckler & Koch HK-416
  • M27 IAR
  • MK16 Mod. 0 (FN SCAR-L)
  • MK12 SPR
  • M249 SAW/M249 Para
  • MK46 Mod. 1

-7.62x51mm

• M24/M40A5
  • M14/MK14 EBR/M39 EMR
  • MK17 Mod. 0 (FN SCAR-H)
  • SR-25/M110
  • Remington MSR
  • M240B/D/G
  • M60/M60D/M60E3/M60E4/MK43
  • MK48 Mod. 1
  • M134

-9x19mm

• Beretta M9 & M9A1
  • Glock 19
  • Sig Sauer P226
  • Sig Sauer M11 (P228)
  • Sig Sauer P229R
  • Heckler & Koch MP5A3/MP5SD/MP5K
  • Heckler & Koch MP5N/MP5KN
  • Colt M635/Colt 9mm SMG

-12 Gauge

• AA-12
  • Mossberg 500/590/590A1
  • Benelli M4 Super 90 (M1014)
  • Remington 870
  • M-26 MASS

-.45 ACP

• Colt M1911A1
  • MEU (SOC)
  • Heckler & Koch MK23 SOCOM
  • Heckler & Koch HK-45C
  • Heckler & Koch P11

-12.7x99mm

• Barrett M82/M107
  • Browning M2HB/M3
  • TAC-50

-.300 Winchester Magnum

• XM-2010

-4.6x30mm

• Heckler & Koch MP7A1

Now, obviously world-wise militaries vary (eastern oens are no exception), but only .300 WM and 4.6x30mm are limited, and even then, the MP7 isn't standard issue.

Meanwhile, civilian weapons encompass tons of calibers, just to name a few;

9x18mm, 9x19mm, .357 Magnum, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .45-70 Gov't, .223, .243, .300 WM, .308, .330, .30-06, .338, 7.62x54mmR, 10 Gauge, 12 Gauge, 20 Gauge, and more.

Yeah, there is plenty of variation in military firearms across the board and the devs could easily ensure that the military weapons are hard to have ammo for, but realistically militaries tend to keep the ammunition they use common, inexpensive, and limited, or logistics becomes a huge problem, whereas a civilian is not constantly in combat.

• Like 1

Like I wrote in a different thread, in my opinion:

If there are plenty of different guns in the game, just make sure the lower powered ones to some extent share ammo type, and make sure the higher powered guns have very different calibers.

I think that's a good solution.

Those that are unable to deal with this realistic type things can simply go find another game to play because this one is not the right one for them.  Why should we combine low calibers, such as 9x18mm Makarov and 9x19mm Parabellum, into a simple section, such as just 9mm?  It would just make the game easier.  With an implementation of a wider variety of calibers, it would make the game harder, resulting in more of a challenge.  Also, the addition of a variety of calibers would actually force the player to READ and THINK before they even try to load the cartridge into their firearm, or even pick it up in the first place. As for larger calibers, i sure as hell am not wanting to have a Mosin Nagant chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO.   

Image comparsion between 9x19mm Parabellum (on the left) and 9x18mm Makarov (On the right)

9mm+compared.jpg

9×18mm Makarov ammunition uses a larger diameter bullet than other common 9mm rounds. Indeed 9mm Parabellum is 9.017mm (0.355 inches), however 9×18mm Makarov rounds are loaded with bullets measuring 9.27mm (0.365 in). 

Cartridge size dimensions (all in millimeters):

9x19mm Parabellum:

600px-9x19mm_Parabellum.svg.png

9x18mm Makarov

600px-9%C3%9718mm_Makarov.png

Both calibers are obviously different, so why combine them under one 9mm section?  

9x18mm Makarov is more comparable to the popular cartridge of .380 ACP rather than 9x19mm Parabellum because the 9x18mm Makarov round was designed to be used in low powered blowback semiautomatics, like the .380 ACP cartridge, rather than locked breech designs encountered, but not always required, for higher pressure cartridges like the 9×19mm Parabellum.  Basically saying that the 9x18mm Makarov cartridge is inferior to the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge.   

9x18mm Makarov and 9x19mm Parabellum are just a small example that i used to describe my stance.  I reconize that there are plenty more of calibers out there to compare as well.

(My explanation would of been better, but my fucking browser decided to refresh the page while i was typing)

Edited by AlexeiStukov
  • Like 1

Dayz Standalone is a game built around the ideal of Realism, so we require realistic things put into the game.  Those that are unable to deal with this realistic type things can simply go find another game to play

Both calibers are obviously different, so why take the realism out of the game by combining them under one 9mm section?  

Simply saying "DayZ is supposed to be realistic" isn't a solution, though.

It's not even true, either. DayZ has always been striving for "authenticity" which, in developer-speak, means realism inasmuch as it is relative to pragmatic gameplay concerns.

Never mind that DayZ isn't wholly realistic (see zombies). Point being, they're trying to mediate between realism and practicality. They always have been.

You can disagree with the specific approach of generalized/ubiquitous calibers but just sitting there saying "It's not realistic" is irrelevant and not going to solve anything.

Realism isn't a reason, in and of itself, why the developers should do X. If you want to frame it as a reason, however, you're going to have to actually find ways in which "realism" tangibly benefits gameplay (which isn't that hard a case to make).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Alright I totally think the caliber should be exact BUT ONLY if inventory space is made more realistic.

Because at this point, I can easily pack three real life contents of an ingame mountain backpack into a real-life school briefcase.

Simply saying "DayZ is supposed to be realistic" isn't a solution, though.

It's not even true, either. DayZ has always been striving for "authenticity" which, in developer-speak, means realism inasmuch as it is relative to pragmatic gameplay concerns.

Never mind that DayZ isn't wholly realistic (see zombies). Point being, they're trying to mediate between realism and practicality. They always have been.

You can disagree with the specific approach of generalized/ubiquitous calibers but just sitting there saying "It's not realistic" is irrelevant and not going to solve anything.

Realism isn't a reason, in and of itself, why the developers should do X. If you want to frame it as a reason, however, you're going to have to actually find ways in which "realism" tangibly benefits gameplay (which isn't that hard a case to make).

Like i said, my orginal explanation had all of what you said explained throughly, but my browser refreshed while i was typing so i lost everything that i was doing.  I agree Realism is not a reason (what i would of said in my original post..), however i was not offering it as a solution Katana.  What this thread is for is suggestions and what this poll is for what the community suggests the developers should do.  Each person gets their own say, but i did not offer realism as a solution.  I said that it is supposed to be realistic (to an extent).

Like i said, my orginal explanation had all of what you said explained throughly, but my browser refreshed while i was typing so i lost everything that i was doing.  I agree Realism is not a reason (what i would of said in my original post..), however i was not offering it as a solution Katana.  What this thread is for is suggestions and what this poll is for what the community suggests the developers should do.  Each person gets their own say, but i did not offer realism as a solution.  I said that it is supposed to be realistic (to an extent).

Sorry, but I can't read words that aren't there.

You're using the statement of "DayZ should be realistic" as a justification (i.e. a reason) for the developers doing something (i.e. including more calibers). Vice anything tangible, which would be an actual solution.

And you're thereby using something "unrealistic" as a synonym for easy, simple, and not worthwhile. Which isn't necessarily accurate either.