Wayze

Why DayZ is no survival game

. They survived for 200 hours and found their first repairbox, but they know that a freshspawn can equire the same within 5 minutes, if he is lucky. 

See now thats one of the things i love about dayz, you could be the most geared up player, pretty much have it all. Say you need a toolbox though....and then (mod again obv) you hear on general chat that a noob freshspawn has one...its great. OK now most would just shoot him for it. Our group prefers trade, that toolbox is infinately valuable to us, but maybe not worth much to him as he carnt even carry all the car parts to fix one. We have given away some excellent gear just for simple things. My personal "can never find it" is a box of matches lol :)

Awhile back i did post an idea about skills, my method would be to have the books gain certain skills much the same way current gear items do. Its not too gamey and holds pretty true to life. We mostly study a subject before we try it practically anyways.

Some example would be...

Find a Heli...Awsomes...but you carnt fly it untill you have the opperation manual.

Find a car and toolbox.....still carnt fix it without the "worshop Manual" or whatever.

Having a book for either a certain ammount of time, or reading every page a few times (once a day ofc ;)) could mean that you can now perform that task without the book. Give it to a freshspawn or something, or make a tent into a library. Now thats sort of skills, and if they added enough trough books it could mean that player life value goes right up, depending on what books you have read. A qualified pilot toon that can fly without the book may take up to a week or something to achieve.

Maybe they planning something like that, because as it stands i carnt really see a use for books. What would you think about that as almost, but not quite skills?

my method would be to have the books gain certain skills much the same way current gear items do. Its not too gamey and holds pretty true to life. We mostly study a subject before we try it practically anyways.

I read a mechanics magazine and can now build a car..... :rolleyes:

Ok I have an idea that would not involve a skill based system, but would give players more incentive for survival:

How about making it so players can craft/cook more things the more their player progresses. Not crafting guns/ammo, but building maybe your own clothes and maybe being able to cook new things. You would still need to collect the correct materials to craft/cook the item of choice. The longer that life plays for, the more that life can craft/cook/(maybe repair) nothing like making combat easier, but giving a player a reason to be alive and stay that way. The crafting/cooking "blueprints" should take a while to earn/progress and should not be overpowered, but provides the player the incentive to stay alive no matter the cost.

Also, maybe make a journal kind of like in the Dayz mod, I click action 20 and I can see how many zombies killed/ how many players killed. View able by only the player and It could be cool to do a "Dear diary," for people who are interested in adding to it. Those can later be accessed and read through the main menu (once that life dies), showing the accomplishments a player has set FOR THEMSELVES! This could show how valuable that life was to the player and could give you self respect for those personally chosen goals that were accomplished. If someone were to lie in the diary, it would not matter because it is for them. It is like cheating on a college test (or any test). "The only person you are cheating is yourself."  

If there is any problem with my idea or flaw to it, do not be afraid to point it out. It helps to communicate.

A medical skill system will be implemented. This is not something to argue about, it's Deans idea.

Let me do this:

I don't like loot, because it's introducing an objective to the game. People would focus on the payoff of collection loot, rather than focus on whats happening in the game.

But, to solve your problem:

The longer your survive, the higher you skills can get. You cannot grind because after you do something once, you need to wait an amount of time to do it again. Additionally, skills like reparing and crafting consume valuable goods.

There are many ways to fix these problems. So if they were fixed, would you like a skill system?

Sigh. Loot isn't an objective. Survival is the objective, loot is a tool needed to accomplish that objective.

Okay, so you think adding in a timer would help? Let's say for every hour you live you can add another 5% to your skill? Well, then I would just sit in the bushes AFK with a bag of rice. See how the time restraint didn't fix anything? In fact, it creates even more modified behavior in that players will be sitting AFK waiting for a timer to tick down?

You can't just fix things by adding more things on top of them. No, I can't imagine a skill system I would ever like.

• Like 1

I will provide you with a story from one of my most memorable dayz mod experiences.

Back in the mod days, there was many patches that tinkered with the difficulty of surviving. At one point food was so scarce in the building loot tables that you were better off killing zombies for a chance at finding some (5-10% drop rate it felt like).

This was awesome. It caused people to be very noisy, which was risky as you would draw increased attention by both zombies and players alike.

During a different, seperate patch, I remember zombies were extremely aware and aggressive, and could see almost a mile away, and hear you from quite far as well. It was probably overkill for zombies to have that good of senses, but it was the only way they were an actual threat since we could not just have more zombies as that would lower server performance and FPS would suffer.

Combining both these aspects would make a harsh environment to survive in, and in my opinion would be a lot of fun. If they could just add 100x more zombies, that would be even better, but might not be possible due to performance issues.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Cheers.

I read a mechanics magazine and can now build a car..... :rolleyes:

Well maybe not magazines, although iv got a lot of engenieering mags that teach you stuff way past car mechanics lol.....maybe get some Haynes manuals in there, one for each car....then repairing one is a real challenge :D

See now thats one of the things i love about dayz, you could be the most geared up player, pretty much have it all. Say you need a toolbox though....and then (mod again obv) you hear on general chat that a noob freshspawn has one...its great. OK now most would just shoot him for it. Our group prefers trade, that toolbox is infinately valuable to us, but maybe not worth much to him as he carnt even carry all the car parts to fix one. We have given away some excellent gear just for simple things. My personal "can never find it" is a box of matches lol :)

Now just imagine the same situation with a guy, who has the SKILL to repair something. Same situation, guy says he is capable of repairing a helicopter. You go to him and you have no other choice but to group up with him (if you want a working helicopter). Do you believe him? Maybe he is lying? But what if he is telling you the truth? Do you want to risk it?

Not just your life is valuable, but also the life of others, who have skills you need. Maybe you even save someones life, because he is capable of curing cancer (yeah, exaggeration)?

What is better? The box or the skill? (you know yourself that nobody will trade, people will kill that guy, because it is the most simple and smart solution)

Awhile back i did post an idea about skills, my method would be to have the books gain certain skills much the same way current gear items do. Its not too gamey and holds pretty true to life. We mostly study a subject before we try it practically anyways.

Some example would be...

Find a Heli...Awsomes...but you carnt fly it untill you have the opperation manual.

Find a car and toolbox.....still carnt fix it without the "worshop Manual" or whatever.

Having a book for either a certain ammount of time, or reading every page a few times (once a day ofc ;)) could mean that you can now perform that task without the book. Give it to a freshspawn or something, or make a tent into a library. Now thats sort of skills, and if they added enough trough books it could mean that player life value goes right up, depending on what books you have read. A qualified pilot toon that can fly without the book may take up to a week or something to achieve.

Maybe they planning something like that, because as it stands i carnt really see a use for books. What would you think about that as almost, but not quite skills?

Yes, I agree. Books. But then you can store them, which destroyes the purpose of permadeath. Like I said, either way. One way the books are really, really rare and the game is just unbalanced. Or they are common and skills are worth nothing. Problems...

And you won't get a master by reading a book. ^^

Combine the book idea with skills, and you got the perfect game in my opinion. (same as Project Zomboid, by the way)

Sigh. Loot isn't an objective. Survival is the objective, loot is a tool needed to accomplish that objective.

Okay, so you think adding in a timer would help? Let's say for every hour you live you can add another 5% to your skill? Well, then I would just sit in the bushes AFK with a bag of rice. See how the time restraint didn't fix anything? In fact, it creates even more modified behavior in that players will be sitting AFK waiting for a timer to tick down?

You can't just fix things by adding more things on top of them. No, I can't imagine a skill system I would ever like.

Sigh. Skills are not an objective. Survival is the objective, skills are the tools needed to accomplish that objective.

Well, the guy can do that. But he still needs to go out there and search for loot, which he needs to develope his skills. And even if. It's the case right now. People will always server hop, to get items. People will always kidnap people just for some blood. You can try to prevent people from doing it, but there will be always some guys who exploit and farm/grind.

Skills are the same as loot. Same problems. And even if a guy does that, grinding himself for hundrets of hours. Who cares? He can lose all the progress within a minute. He invested 100 hours anyways. He won't be OP, because others will be able to reach the same within the same or even shorter amount of time.

Ask yourself, who would invest 10 totally boring hours to grind, if it's not even certain that he will keep the skills at all. He can do that while playing the game, much more enjoyable.

Edited by Wayze

Sigh. Skills are not an objective. Survival is the objective, skills are the tools needed to accomplish that objective.

Well, the guy can do that. But he still needs to go out there and search for loot, which he needs to develope his skills. And even if. It's the case right now. People will always server hop, to get items. People will always kidnap people just for some blood.

Skills are the same as loot. Same problems. And even if a guy does that, grinding himself for hundrets of hours. Who cares? He can lose all the progress within a minute. He invested 100 hours anyways. He won't be OP, because other will be able to reach the same within the same or even shorter amount of time.

Well, from what I've read about the suggested skill systems, they would be entirely optional and only improve your chances for survival. I have yet to read anyone suggesting skills be required in order to survive. They're certainly not the same "tools" as loot currently is. But, I should have expected you to just turn my post around on me in an attempt to dismiss it, since you don't like my opinion.

People server hop so we should enact an exploitable skill system? No thanks.

The example of medical skill is a good example because it shows how kidnapping and forcing medical on someone would be extremely beneficial. But, it's entirely restricted to the bandit playstyle. A hero wouldn't be given the same opportunities. It would drastically unbalance the medical skill in the favor of the bandits. Currently the game tries to be neutral when it comes to stuff like this, not giving an advantage to anyone in particular. So, while you say anyone could grind the skill in the same time as everyone else, that's only true if they abandon their ethics and make the skill their main objective.

I agree, but the content is kind of flawed. :|

No I meant the content was nice.

The fact that you think the content is flawed is your opinion, not a fact.

• Like 1

One thing i will point out is that we do have controle over what skill(s) we go after, by where we choose to loot. So you are right that its random chance, but you have the ability to tip those chances in your favour.

Yes, I agree. Books. But they you can store them, which destroyes the purpose of permadeath. Like I said, either way. One way the books are really, really rare and the game is just unbalanced. Or they are common and skills are worth nothing. Problems...

And you won't get a master by reading a book. ^^

Combine the book idea with skills, and you got the perfect game in my opinion. (same as Project Zomboid, by the way)

Yep you could store them, thats sort of a loot balancing issue. But by adding a vast ammount and making many many things require a book, then you could have it at the point where noone could carry every book for every skill. Even if they didnt take a single other piece of loot in there inventory. 

Now its a choice as to what vocation you will try for while saving enough space for essentials. The other thing is dispite being able to store them you would need to keep the book for say 1 week to learn the skill. What if you have already given that book to a team member and they are studying it. Now you carnt use it for a week, unless you find another. And with hundreds of books to find the chances would be slim.

I guess im not apposed to skills when i really think about it. As long as they are done in a very organic way. Its just the term "skills" that brings images into my head of gamey skills trees with perks and leveling up and all that. I suppose its all in the implementation  :)

Well, from what I've read about the suggested skill systems, they would be entirely optional and only improve your chances for survival. I have yet to read anyone suggesting skills be required in order to survive. They're certainly not the same "tools" as loot currently is. But, I should have expected you to just turn my post around on me in an attempt to dismiss it, since you don't like my opinion.

People server hop so we should enact an exploitable skill system? No thanks.

The example of medical skill is a good example because it shows how kidnapping and forcing medical on someone would be extremely beneficial. But, it's entirely restricted to the bandit playstyle. A hero wouldn't be given the same opportunities. It would drastically unbalance the medical skill in the favor of the bandits. Currently the game tries to be neutral when it comes to stuff like this, not giving an advantage to anyone in particular. So, while you say anyone could grind the skill in the same time as everyone else, that's only true if they abandon their ethics and make the skill their main objective.

You don't want to tell me that you need gear to survive. Get some cans of beans and soda and you are good to go forever. Weapons are entirely optional and only improve your chances for survival.

It's not that I don't like your opinion, it's just that I think many many people dislike the idea of skills just because it sounds like it would turn the game into an RPG. But this is not true at all, as I am trying to tell you.

My point was:

Loot is a basic element of the game. Should we remove it because it's exploitable? No.

Skills would be a basic element of the game (if implemented). Should we no include it because it's exploitable? No.

Like I said, take the same example with bloodpacks. A hero will never steal blood from freshspawns. It is entirely restricted to the bandit playstyle. It drasticly unbalances the medical loot in the favor of bandits. Currently the game is NOT neutral when it comes to stuff like this. You know why it's not? Because in real life bandits will ALWAYS have the upperhand. It is LIFE. You will not change it. You won't get a millionaire by being nice. You won't survive an apocalypse by being nice. This is what you can choose. Acting by morality or doing whatever it needs to survive. The guy who takes option two is ALWAYS in advantage.

People already abandon their ehtics and make loot their main objective. Don't you see it?

I guess im not apposed to skills when i really think about it. As long as they are done in a very organic way. Its just the term "skills" that brings images into my head of gamey skills trees with perks and leveling up and all that. I suppose its all in the implementation   :)

Now THIS is what I am talking about. People just need to realise that the a proper skill system would increase the gameplay. Yes, it sounds scary. "Skills? This is not Skyrim you faggot!", and I was the same in the beginning. But if you really think about it, it's just benefitial for the game and the players, if implemented correctly.

Edited by Wayze

Loot should not be removed because it is a natural thing to find things and make use of them, this applys to real life as well.

"Skills:

This is the only way to go in my opinion. The more you do something, the better you get in it. The more you craft things, the more chance you have to craft prestine things. The more you treat wounds, the less likely it is that you make a mistake while doing it. The more you repair engines, the more likely you are to repair a helicopter. etc.

Problem with this is, you have to balance it. We don't want immortal super soldiers, but the additions have to be good enough to add a real value to the character. It has to be more valuable than a really rare weapon. Doing something faster is not enough, because people don't really need that. They will still risk their lifes and do stupid things, I mean who cares if something is taking you 10 seconds or 9?

And the other thing is, if someone survived for 500 hours, hasn't he deserved a really good boost? I would give such a person the ability to shoot like a robot. Problem I am talking about is that the more your survive the better has to be the reward. If you survived 100 hours or 500 hours you want to feel the difference, otherwise it gets pointless and boring to survive longer."

Your example could well make sitting afk in the woods a viable option to level up. I dont agree with this, it would detract from the whole point of the game as it has evolved to now.

Now if you want to find out the communitys view on skills, then perhaps you could do some research. There have been many topics on the subject.

My view on skills, as commonly used in games, is that the action of gaining a skill soon becomes the point of the game. Some people would simply be using the game as a tool to gain skills.

DayZ in its current alpha state is as far away from survival as Call of Duty: Search and Destroy Mode.

They both have perma death... only difference in DayZ is that you actually have to drink a coke every few minutes.

This is all subject to change in the future of course...

Some examples:

Zombiehits have to cause infection, drinking non-purified environmental water has to cause some kind of infection, which needs treatment.

Using anything between badly damaged and worn should cause a chance of sickness, in case of a clothing, as no one knows who used it before.

Maybe that jeans the player has found has been worn by a zed who left it there after transforming.

Healing yourself up through the healthy status should take several hours of in-game time.

It seems like some players actually think DayZ (0.33) is about survival because you have to feed your character... well than Tamagotchi is a survival game too.

It does have perma death too by the way, really hardcore!

Edited by YassirX
  • Like 2

Loot should not be removed because it is a natural thing to find things and make use of them, this applys to real life as well.

"Skills:

This is the only way to go in my opinion. The more you do something, the better you get in it. The more you craft things, the more chance you have to craft prestine things. The more you treat wounds, the less likely it is that you make a mistake while doing it. The more you repair engines, the more likely you are to repair a helicopter. etc.

Problem with this is, you have to balance it. We don't want immortal super soldiers, but the additions have to be good enough to add a real value to the character. It has to be more valuable than a really rare weapon. Doing something faster is not enough, because people don't really need that. They will still risk their lifes and do stupid things, I mean who cares if something is taking you 10 seconds or 9?

And the other thing is, if someone survived for 500 hours, hasn't he deserved a really good boost? I would give such a person the ability to shoot like a robot. Problem I am talking about is that the more your survive the better has to be the reward. If you survived 100 hours or 500 hours you want to feel the difference, otherwise it gets pointless and boring to survive longer."

Your example could well make sitting afk in the woods a viable option to level up. I dont agree with this, it would detract from the whole point of the game as it has evolved to now.

Now if you want to find out the communitys view on skills, then perhaps you could do some research. There have been many topics on the subject.

My view on skills, as commonly used in games, is that the action of gaining a skill soon becomes the point of the game. Some people would simply be using the game as a tool to gain skills.

What example? What are you talking about? :huh: No, just no.

Like I said, the problem is people don't get what is meant by skills, the most think of EXP and something like MMORPGs do. This is why they vote against (please bring some evidence, btw) such a system. Look at how many beans my post has and how many beans the posts of opponents have. Well, seems like skills win the game. (or atleast the urge to increase character value)

Right and in real life you also equire skills. It is the most basic element of real life survival, actually. You may have the knowladge which you equire by books, but if you are sent on an island, it doesn't mean you will do even close as good as a veteran survival specialist.

Edited by Wayze

Healing yourself up through the healthy status should take several hours of in-game time.

You have my beans for that one sentence....if i could i would give you more!

You have my beans for that one sentence....if i could i would give you more!

And you should drop down immediatly after shot by anything.

Finding food and water should be a lot harder too.

Conserved food should be the minority... players should have to hunt down animals as soon as hunting is implemented.

The meat will have to get special treatment before it can be consumed to purify it from any possible infections.

Otherwise there is a chance that the player will get sick by eating infected meat.

Hunting does two things, it will have you exposed to other players and it requires time to track down an animal.

Survival will be a lot more present in the game and people will have to struggle to survive in the harsh environment on chernarus.

Combined with the hopefully improved zombie AI and population, DayZ will be a true survival game.

I guess we just have to wait for the game to progress further in its development.

Edited by YassirX

I don't like skills because they introduce an objective into the game. People would focus on the payoff of gaining skill level, rather than focus on whats happening in the game.

It's like when you play a game like call of duty and some people want to use the crappiest weapons because they need to unlock something associated with using it.

An example in DayZ would be a medical skill. Groups of bandits would simply kidnap freshspawns and use them to level up their medical skill. It makes it no longer about kidnapping someone for a specific reason, or torturing them for psychological reasons, rather it would create a bunch of kidnappings that would simply be a means to leveling up your skill. The game would force these practices on the players, because players always find the most efficient means of leveling up skills.

There are very few skills I can imagine working in the setting of DayZ. There's just too much to consider.

I've personally just imagined things such as increased stamina (increasing the amount of time you can run or sprint without you starting to sound like darth vader with asthma and reducing the time it takes to recover and get back to normal pulse again). Or steadier hands after gaining a certain amount of combat experience. Small things. Not, ten points in repair or five points in cooking. Not any actual visual stats or even a meter to show progress, just small subtle things.

But I'd be happy with cosmetic changes.

I don't like skills because they introduce an objective into the game. People would focus on the payoff of gaining skill level, rather than focus on whats happening in the game.

It's like when you play a game like call of duty and some people want to use the crappiest weapons because they need to unlock something associated with using it.

An example in DayZ would be a medical skill. Groups of bandits would simply kidnap freshspawns and use them to level up their medical skill. It makes it no longer about kidnapping someone for a specific reason, or torturing them for psychological reasons, rather it would create a bunch of kidnappings that would simply be a means to leveling up your skill. The game would force these practices on the players, because players always find the most efficient means of leveling up skills.

There are very few skills I can imagine working in the setting of DayZ. There's just too much to consider.

i agree it would promote somewhat "boosting"unless there some kind of cooldown or timer for the skill.People would join with their friends solely to boost each others medical skills or WHATEVER skill they need to raise.I dont think it belongs in the game but if they did add some kind of passive skills/perks i wouldn't be angry about it or anything.Even with a cooldown or some kind of timer there would still be people more than willing to wait the time out just to boost the skill.

Edited by mrSnaku

What example? What are you talking about? :huh: No, just no.

Like I said, the problem is people don't get what is meant by skills, the most think of EXP and something like MMORPGs do. This is why they vote against (please bring some evidence, btw) such a system. Look at how many beans my post has and how many beans the posts of opponents have. Well, seems like skills win the game. (or atleast the urge to increase character value)

Right and in real life you also equire skills. It is the most basic element of real life survival, actually. You may have the knowladge which you equire by books, but if you are sent on an island, it doesn't mean you will do even close as good as a veteran survival specialist.

This example "And the other thing is, if someone survived for 500 hours, hasn't he deserved a really good boost?"

I will not provide you with evidence for your statement that people vote against skills because of how they view them. That is up to you to backup what you say.

On the topic of beans you could argue that a person is more inclinded to give beans to an OP then any of the replies. You could even just have a load of friends give you beans. I really have no idea, but 18 beans does not win a game of "what the community thinks" last time I checked there was roughly 20,000 people in the game.

The most basic element of real life survival is not aquiring skills. There are 3, Shelter, Water, Food.

So what is your idea for a skill system ?

This example "And the other thing is, if someone survived for 500 hours, hasn't he deserved a really good boost?"

I will not provide you with evidence for your statement that people vote against skills because of how they view them. That is up to you to backup what you say.

On the topic of beans you could argue that a person is more inclinded to give beans to an OP then any of the replies. You could even just have a load of friends give you beans. I really have no idea, but 18 beans does not win a game of "what the community thinks" last time I checked there was roughly 20,000 people in the game.

The most basic element of real life survival is not aquiring skills. There are 3, Shelter, Water, Food.

I know there are ideas floating around, but whatever the idea, it needs to be implemented correctly or we'll have another repeat of bad game mechanics (ex: broken karma system, hero kills in self defense, becomes a bandit)

Not sure what you mean. The basic element of real life survival is the will not to die. It's not the will not to lose the gear. This is in my opinion the main problem with DayZ. It's all about the gear.

In real life you use gear to keep your life.

In DayZ you survive to keep your gear.

This results in very unauthentic behaviour. It results in boring endgame. It results in no point of simple survival. (you cannot enjoy running around town without a weapon and simply surviving, because there is no reward, no progress and no point, compare it to real life and there is a reward, progress and a point)

It results in players hunting for fun because gear is everything they can obtain. It makes the game simply worse. I want to people hunt other to survive. I want people to kill each other to survive. Not to keep their gear and not because of boredom.

If there is character value, meaning that you don't want your character to die over "you don't want to lose the gear", people will act way more authentic. But the most important part, after surviving 100 hours you won't simply go and shoot other people because you have end gear. You will still try to survive because you don't want to lose the progress. YOu cannot store all the effort you put in the character. Death will have a whole other meaing to the game. And this is, in my opinion, the core of DayZ: The fear of death.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 2

I thought about this a bit more and maybe there are 2 types of skills, personal skills like accuracy, and skills that let you interact with the world, like the toolbox. I think things that advance as you survive should be the ones that let you interact with the world on a higher level. But personal skills like how well you can shoot or how fast you can run should all be kept the same. Those type of skills should be unlocked through gear, a better gun, a more accurate scope. 

Most online games that have you unlock skills don't let players of different level (or group of levels) interact together, not the way dayz does. I think that's because it would lead to the strong (the guys surviving for weeks) becoming stronger and the weak (freshspawns) not being able to fight back. Maybe value can be added through interaction, that could be the reward for survival and an incentive not to die. But let gear manage the personal abilities of the player.

Not sure what you mean. The basic element of real life survival is the will not to die. It's not the will not to lose the gear. This is in my opinion the main problem with DayZ. It's all about the gear.

In real life you use gear to keep your life.

In DayZ you survive to keep your gear.

This results in very unauthentic behaviour. It results in boring endgame. It results in no point of simple survival. (you cannot enjoy running around town without a weapon and simply surviving, because there is no reward, no progress and no point, compare it to real life and there is a reward, progress and a point)

It results in players hunting for fun because gear is everything they can obtain. It makes the game simply worse. I want to people hunt other to survive. I want people to kill each other to survive. Not to keep their gear and not because of boredom.

If there is character value, meaning that you don't want your character to die over "you don't want to lose the gear", people will act way more authentic. But the most important part, after surviving 100 hours you won't simply go and shoot other people because you have end gear. You will still try to survive because you don't want to lose the progress. YOu cannot store all the effort you put in the character. Death will have a whole other meaing to the game. And this is, in my opinion, the core of DayZ: The fear of death.

So you ignore my entire post and go on a rant about gear.

In a topic which you started stating that DayZ is not about survival, you have just written a post about how DayZ is about survival.

Also in DayZ you do use your gear to keep you alive, much like real life.

Boring endgame is your personal opinion. You are entitled to that.

What is the reward, progress and point to real life survival compared to DayZ ?

You want people to act a certain way, well newsflash buddy, its not always about what you want.

Your last paragraph seems to be badly written and I cannot understand what its intentions are.

Now many people do have a great fear of death in DayZ already, if you care to check some of the community media.

So you ignore my entire post and go on a rant about gear.

In a topic which you started stating that DayZ is not about survival, you have just written a post about how DayZ is about survival.

Also in DayZ you do use your gear to keep you alive, much like real life.

Boring endgame is your personal opinion. You are entitled to that.

What is the reward, progress and point to real life survival compared to DayZ ?

You want people to act a certain way, well newsflash buddy, its not always about what you want.

Your last paragraph seems to be badly written and I cannot understand what its intentions are.

Now many people do have a great fear of death in DayZ already, if you care to check some of the community media.

It's not me who wants that, it's basicly most of the players (in the observable community) who want that. The skillsystem is just one idea of how to change the situation. But we all know (except of you and some others) that the situation needs to change.

The reward of real life survival is staying alive. Simple as that. The only way to simulate this is to add character value.

Many people do have, but most of the veterans do not fear because they don't give a f*ck about gear anymore. Sure there is some fear, but not the old times. If you have a value that increases by the effort you put in, even a veteran will piss himself if confronted with death.

What do you mean, what is my idea for a skill system?

Edited by Wayze