Wayze

Why DayZ is no survival game

This ^^

Some good valid responses.

I know you were probably joking with this suggestion and i think 6 hours is probably to long but i do believe a lock out after death would help . I know i have a break after the death of a long lived character many dont but this would actuall solve a few problems such as death not having any sting in it when you group play and can run back to your body.

Now i dont mind KOS as it is needed to add tension to the game but levels maybea little high currently (just my opinion) a lock out of say an hour may MAY lessen it or atleast have you think twice with your charcter (initially it may increase KOS till the sting of death hits a few people)

I was only joking about it because I think the OP wants a reward and not a punishment.

I personally would love a deathban system. Even just on the hardcore hive. So people can still play dayz, just have to play regular for a bit.

Initially I'd want to try a 6 hour ban if the player dies right away. The duration of the ban would get reduced down to a 1 hour minimum, the longer the player stays alive. So if you're running around without a care because you have no gear, you get punished extra hard. Also, if you neglect to get your hunger and thirst in order quickly after spawn, you should be punished. But, if you can survive for 5 hours, you only get hit with a 1 hour wait upon death.

(I only pick 6 hours because I feel that would ruin anyones gaming session for the day. The point is to be harsh. But the times can be changed.)

• Like 1

even a 1 hour wait, completely ruins the gaming experience.

that is far too drastic.

will never happen, give up now.

thanks.

even a 1 hour wait, completely ruins the gaming experience.

that is far too drastic.

will never happen, give up now.

thanks.

Posts like this only fuel my fire to make more suggestions of this nature. ;)

The OP contends this is not a survival game.  I contend this is not even a game as yet.  We all hope it will be one day.

You want survival? How about you die and you take a 24 hour blow? I would be ok with that.

• Like 2

I've not once "jumped off a roof" and in the 3 lives i've had so far, i've suffered NUMEROUS injuries, sickness and fractures. Guess what buddy, your argument isn't that there's no survival aspects, you're arguing that every player that plays DayZ is a lazy sack of s**t that would rather end their avatar's life than make a trek. Maybe you need to stop playing and/or play with with people who actually PLAY the game

I've not once "jumped off a roof" and in the 3 lives i've had so far, i've suffered NUMEROUS injuries, sickness and fractures. Guess what buddy, your argument isn't that there's no survival aspects, you're arguing that every player that plays DayZ is a lazy sack of s**t that would rather end their avatar's life than make a trek. Maybe you need to stop playing and/or play with with people who actually PLAY the game

100% this, the group i ran with and hope do run when SA is more per say challenging never took the suicide route unless really needed, and run looking for that hype of finding that stranger or group, to steal, get in a fire fight or day.  The end game is the story you make, that being a short one (1 min) or a long one (30 days) that being you woke up on the shore went in a house looking for food and bam axe to head or Z on your face. Or logged in my camp get my supply for the day and ran across a bunch of jerks and killed them and kept that stuff, then on my way to camp i broke my leg on a twig, thats dayz for me...

• Like 1

Ok, the hours long timeout for dying is just plain stupid.  Some newbie will play the game, get killed in 15 minutes, then say "fuck this shit" if he has to wait 1,6, or 24 hours to play again.  So will everyone else.

I don't think people killing themselves to get back to the shore or to avoid the hassle of crawling back to a hospital to be a particularly big problem in the game.  Plus IRL, a lot of people might opt to kill themselves if they broke their leg in a zombie apocalypse.

I like the idea of skills developing over time.  Nothing like better aim or more weapon damage.  But stuff like strength, speed or stamina which isn't reflected in the RL player's ability.

The real reason this isn't a survival game is because without zombies, once you leave the coast, it's pretty easy to survive.  It's more a picking up crap off the ground game.

Try not to judge the game too much as it is still in alpha.

It is possible that you might think differently after the next patch, or the one after that etc etc

What you can do is make suggestions in the appropriate manner, also report bugs etc

• Like 1

Ok, the hours long timeout for dying is just plain stupid.  Some newbie will play the game, get killed in 15 minutes, then say "fuck this shit" if he has to wait 1,6, or 24 hours to play again.  So will everyone else.

Only stupid from a marketing standpoint. Truth is the vast majority of gamers do not have the patience or maturity to understand the beauty of having to suffer a consequence for their actions. For me it would increase the immersion and intensity 100 fold. Knowing that i blow it, im am out for a while.

The thing i don’t get is don’t any of these "fuck this shit i can't wait" types have something else they could do for x number of hours? Does a single game really become ones entire life? If thats the case ...wow, just WOW.

If they did implement some kind of lengthy time penalty, the anti - game title would belong to Dean and company hands down.

As for suicide...you must be aware that time is Money...people want to squeeze more fun from game in shorter time period...dayz at this moment consuming sooo much time...killing them self's they save RL time...simple as that...

The OP is right on this point; there is no difference between a fresh spawn and a veteran player other than the gear. There's nothing like skills or attributes that will make you feel compelled to survive to not lose something other than just gear. In other words there is no character development in a nut shell. I think I read somewhere that such elements will not be introduced though I could be wrong. 

Edited by zeddo
  • Like 1

Only stupid from a marketing standpoint. Truth is the vast majority of gamers do not have the patience or maturity to understand the beauty of having to suffer a consequence for their actions. For me it would increase the immersion and intensity 100 fold. Knowing that i blow it, im am out for a while.

The thing i don’t get is don’t any of these "fuck this shit i can't wait" types have something else they could do for x number of hours? Does a single game really become ones entire life? If thats the case ...wow, just WOW.

If they did implement some kind of lengthy time penalty, the anti - game title would belong to Dean and company hands down.

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I have read on the internet. However, I can accept that if you sat down to play a game and there was possibly a server glitch upon logging in and it killed you, that you would be perfectly ok with waiting a few hours until your next attempt.

So I have a solution, when and if you die. Do not log in for a set period.

Do not force this upon the rest of the sane gamer population.

Thank you.

1 DayZ isnt even closed to finished, ALPHA.

2 even out of alpha players will still kill other players being at least as lethal as environmental factors. Skills in this regard could actually encourage 'skilled' players to kill other players preventing them from developing skills and becoming more effective competition for limited resources.

This would allow people to take trolling to an entirely new level. KoS trolling would kill the game in a day.

nice write up but trying to appeal to the pubescent knuckleheads here...

what you describe may take place in the next generation dayz game, and maybe when rocket bails from bohemia

and starts his own studio. that's if his heart is even in it anymore.

You have posted 5 examples of life in DayZ.

At any one time there could be roughly 20,000 players, they are all different and all have different likes and dislikes.

So im not sure if 5 is a great number of situations to base changing the game for.

Your solutions seem interesting but I dont think all of them they are best placed in this game.

Statistics: I have seen this come up before and I suggest that once you add things like this in the game, it no longer becomes about playing the game, it becomes a tool for raising statistics.

Appearance change over time: I do like this option, with things like beard and hair growth, clothes become dirty and worn etc.

Skills progression: I would prefer if this was not added to the game. I could talk more about why if you are interested, but it would require a lot of typing. So I just refer you to my previous post on this thread for now.

Guess what?

The community actually appreciates the idea of character progression. It's not me who is thinking as an minority, it's you. (in terms of community)

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/170524-what-do-we-really-want-as-far-as-character-progression/

Im not sure you understand the point of surviving.

The point to surviving means staying alive.

Translate this to DayZ, it remains the same.

:lol:

Surviving means staying alive. The point of survival is the point of staying alive. And right now, there is none.

I think his biggest gripe with the game is there's no reward for survival.

Exactly.

The point in running 10km to meet your friend is because Dayz is about the Journey and experience. Your 10km journey to meet your friend could and probably would have many experiences on the way. That is what Dayz is all about.

I fear Dayz isnt the game for you my friend, you dont seem to get it.

Read many of the stories players have posted on here about their experiences in Dayz and you may understand what Dayz is about.

(If you feel being next to your friend in chernarus more of an experience than the many adventu res to be had in the wonderfull world of Dayz then you may find Rust suits you more)

Don't fear my friend. I can respawn and have a better journey and experience with my friend. And sadly, this is not my point of view, but the one of the absolute majority of players in the game (not the community).

Everything you described is based on decisions players made, these aren't the only available options in game. I'd suggest a change in players, not the game.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Bad design results in certain player behaviour. You are not Jesus, you won't change peoples minds. (even if you think so)

DayZ is a survival game. The part you "missed" is that it's a game. (not finished, in alpha, early stage of development, but still, a video game.) DayZ is a survival zombie apocalypse online game.

Nope.

Crying for help could take several minutes or even hours and guess what...this is a game, we won't spend 1 or 2 hours crawling hoping to find a guy to fix our legs...we want to get back to the game so we kill ourselves, is not a virtual reality simulator is a fucking zombie game

I am so proud that this is not the view of our community. GOD BLESS THE COMMUNITY! ^_^

Well, everything you all said just made me more certain, that the community indeed wants to have character progression. You are the minority of the community. Now we need Dean Hall to realise that...

No idea how. :|

The OP is right on this point; there is no difference between a fresh spawn and a veteran player other than the gear. There's nothing like skills or attributes that will make you feel compelled to survive to not lose something other than just gear. In other words there is no character development in a nut shell. I think I read somewhere that such elements will not be introduced though I could be wrong. 

We are suppose to have growing beard the longer you live in the future.

Also maybe there will be score boards with survived time.

I don't mind skills per character, but wouldn't that just open up the road to having to grind in order to be competitive?

Totally agree with you, the characters really need to be "cared".

When i started playing this game i'm kinda "Oww a gun, my god!!!" And when I die, "Nooo, i nerver gonna find a gun again"

But now, i'm just used to die and find usual things, and there's no sadness in death.

• Like 2

So is the consensus I'm reading from mostly everyone is that OP is wrong?

the poll you cited is highly flawed. it cites for example basebuilding and storage as character progression, which i think is debatable.

persistance is not progression.