Sign in to follow this  
Pr0jectseph

Is there a benefit to surrendering gear?

If someone holds you up, and goes to take all your stuff...if there a point to being complient and giving up all your stuff if you are just going to be left at square 1 after (as in, having no items)?

Wouldn't it be better to risk it and run or fight back?

I haven't played before but I don't yet see a benefit to giving up all my stuff.

I never surrender unless I am in a RP mood.  Your being set back to a respawn anywho might aswell go out with a bang, theres also no gurantee your captors are not going to lulz kill you.

• Like 1

I've never been in a rob/be robbed situation in which I wanted everything my target had or my assailant had room in his inventory for all my stuff.

I got hand cuffed one time, and the guy was going through my inventory... ...I wriggled free and put my handcuffs on him. And then his friend shot me :(

• Like 2

No. Make them work for it if they want your gear. And if they shoot you anyway, chances are that the gear will be ruined and they still get nothing! Win-Win for you even if it comes with a free trip back to the coast.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I'm liking it! Played out right, the guy holding the gun has nothing in his favour!

• Like 1

I never surrender unless I am in a RP mood.  Your being set back to a respawn anywho might aswell go out with a bang, theres also no gurantee your captors are not going to lulz kill you.

This.

You're either going to get killed and lose your gear simultaneously or lose your gear then get killed. If you're going to lose your stuff, you might as well take one or two of whoever's robbing you out with you, you know, just for the sake of inconveniencing them or maybe pulling off that clutch escape. Lets be honest, with the current state of fists if they don't have a motorcycle helmet and you have even mild experience with DayZ you can probably juggle between punching 2 or 3 people in the face and repeatedly knocking them down.

I think there is no right or wrong answer here.

For me it depends on the situation I am facing, how the first 30 seconds went communicating and whether or not another player or group got the drop on me.

Most times the stance, clothes, words and tone of voice helps me identify what I need to do in a situation. If unsure my gut-feeling is my indicator what to do.

Sometimes there is a benefit, sometimes there isn't. Only you can make this call.

My thoughts only

There is a benefit. One they most likely couldn't fit all your gear. Two if you got a healthy status then you aren't spending 30mins-1hr running to every food spawn and eating everything in an attempt to get it back.

I say, play along with what they want... what's the difference? I+ mean, one could get away and that may make for great roleplay... but seeing it through wil be just as interesting. I don't understand why people don't realize that playing DayZ is playing the story of how you will die

Be careful: Many Good and Neutral players, I find, will fire on any player who they run across and who does not comply.

I'm not saying let yourself get robbed, I'm saying make sure you're getting robbed before you lose a character you could have walked away with, potentially with additionally gear.

Especially if you're a newspawn... you can knock a player out so easy game.

There is a benefit. Your vagina might be itchy that day and in order to not be in a cranky mood, you hand over your stuff without a fight. 

so remember- take care of yourself. itchy vaginas are a silly reason not to go out blasting.

• Like 1

If you're looking for an interesting/RP experience, you go along with a holdup.

If you value your gear more than the potential hilarity/immersion of the experience, you fight for it.

Simple as that. Each play style has their option, and you might find you enjoy one more than the other in different situations.

There's too many frankie wannabes that think they can hold people up or are under the illusion that people will comply.

I have so far killed every attemptor captor. If you try to do this you have to make sure you are in a position of absolute advantage. Otherwise I will unload a 60 round clip on your lifeless body.

I only surrender if I have something sneaky planned (loaded magnum in pocket as a fresh spawn). Otherwise I fight to the bitter end.

There's no point. If someone wants your gear let them have it ruined.

I was never robbed, but I would definetly surrender and comply with captors, when you perform good RP you will always gain something if not gear at least experience.

Yesterday on experimental server which was running for 8+ hours and there were no loot I met group of chinese players who hold me up , but eventualy opened can of beans for me so i didnt died of starvation and let me go

Cant belive i registered finaly after lurking since "release" just to awnser this.

Lets imagine this senario: You're realy good geared up, big backpack, west, big pants,big shirt, firefighter axe, your prefered guns with plenty of ammo, healthy, two full canteens, hopefully no food (whatch this if you want to know why: youtu.be/GwNgTnj9hBE), med-suplies, compass, you get the idea. Now you are getting robbed, meaning you're at gunpoint from someone behind you, no way you can turn around at shoot without being shoot yourself,

You...

a) do want the bandit(s) want, they take your guns, some meds, MAYBE your west, maybe switch their empty canteens. You still have (most) of your inventory slots, maybe your axe, good clothing, your healthy state (what means you've got plenty of time getting water and food) and most of your stuff since they cant take all of it!

b ) try to shoot him/them, get killed, become a fresh-spawn with a nothing but 4 inventory slots, two rags (your shirt) and a flashlight with a battery.

c) do a) and they kill you anyway.

Did I miss anything?

Because if not, I surrender any time if I cant see who's robbing me.

EDIT: added c) after reading sacrdandprofne's post. My point is still vaild as if you surrender there's at least a chance that you survive.

Edited by Landhund

There's no universal right answer for this.

It depends on the situation, the when, who and where. Sometimes you die no matter what, so you might as well go out with a fight.

Sometimes people might just not even really try to rob you, but want to 'secure' you first. They could be friendly or just nice bandits. You might not die or just lose some items but live for surrendering. Obviously, if you fight back they will shoot you and, on average, kill you.

So, I strongly advise to consider the circumstances instead of saying "MUUHHH PRIDE BANZAI" or whatever.

• Like 1

I survived the one hold up. It was clear that they could kill me anytime. They forced me to drop anything. Of cource they could not carry all.

It was more like a bad trade for me. I leave that place with a smaller backpack. Yes, sometimes it is worth.

In this case they sounds like "nice guys", it was not worth the risk. When you have the feeling you die anyway... fight.

Edited by NoCheats

by the way dude... *whisper* I just robbed you with no ammo..

but hell yeah, I don't go down without a fight or trying to flee, some guy held me up in the hospital when I was a fresh spawn, I literally had nothing, no clothes or shoes, he wanted by blood.. but nobody makes me bleed my own blood. So I fought a guy who had a fire axe barehanded, got wounded but I escaped, and that character survived for 30+ hours of game play until my friend accidentally shot me because we were playing with a group of zeds...

I had one guy catch me off guard on the crashed ship on the north coast, I had no ammo for my recently found magnum so I complied and put my hands up. I thought to myself finnaly after watching all these cool dayz videos I get an encounter in dayz that doesn't start with shoot first ask questions later. I was genuinely excited to be robbed, will he take my magnum? Will he let me live?

so the guys says, hold on hands up, im not going to shoot you I just want to see if your up... *your dead*

I immediately bound f2 to taunt

never surrender

I had one guy catch me off guard on the crashed ship on the north coast, I had no ammo for my recently found magnum so I complied and put my hands up. I thought to myself finnaly after watching all these cool dayz videos I get an encounter in dayz that doesn't start with shoot first ask questions later. I was genuinely excited to be robbed, will he take my magnum? Will he let me live?

so the guys says, hold on hands up, im not going to shoot you I just want to see if your up... *your dead*

I immediately bound f2 to taunt

never surrender

Because of just one situation? :D

No. Make them work for it if they want your gear. And if they shoot you anyway, chances are that the gear will be ruined and they still get nothing! Win-Win for you even if it comes with a free trip back to the coast.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I'm liking it! Played out right, the guy holding the gun has nothing in his favour!

"free trip back to the coast" lawlz and beanz.

Because of just one situation? :D

That and the other guys who shot me without a word, yeah pretty much.

Might change my stance with the combat log change, theres no reason to rob people right now since they just combat log so maybe the kos mentality will Slightly change.