airtonix (DayZ)

The current implementation of the logout timer is trollish.

Current System
  • You find a safe place (a fallacy, there are no safe places in dayz)
  • You assess the surroundings and determine you would most likely stay alive for the next 30secs
  • you press escape and choose exit
  • you are now looking at the main menu.
  • your character is still in game sitting down for the next 30secs.

Does It Stop Combat Logging
Yes.

Does it stop Ghosting?
No

Does it stop Loot Hopping?
No

Are there negative side effects?
Yes.

Improved System

Ok, So now that I've sufficiently twisted your panties and wound you up for a tear streaming session, lets talk about how it should happen.

Prevent Server Hopping & Prevent Ghosting

Switching server(or server group) within X hours of joining current server(or server group) results in :

• you being moved to a random location on the map
  • That location will not be near other players or high value loot locations.
Switching Server after X hours, results in :
  • You remaining in the same location

The benefits of this are
  •   Loot Hoppers will be facing a far amount of time running to new high value loot locations each time they change
  •   Ghosters will find that they are now facing a long trek to attempt their "flanking" manuvure. 

The downsides are
  • Players performing a quick legitimate server change will find themselves in new locations.

Prevent Combat Logging
  • You find a safe place (a fallacy, there are no safe places in dayz)

• ensure you are not in a status of combat.

• You assess the surroundings and determine you would most likely stay alive for the next 30secs

• You press escape and choose exit

• Your character is sitting down for the next 30secs watching a timer.

• At this point you are only able to stand back up or move your head.

• Head movement will not cancel the logout timer process.

• Standing or clicking the cancel button will cancel the logout process.

• Someone finds you before the timer ends? move and defend yourself. simple. logout prevented.

• You will then be in combat for the next 60secs.

Can it be abused
No. Don't agree with me? provide an example of how it can be abused.

There is a group of people that hate the idea that someone logging out can cancel the logout and defend themselves.
The only reason I can think of that someone wouldn't like that is because it means they can't catch people in the process of logging out undefended.
Edited by airtonix
  • Like 14

Think of logging out like your character sleeping. A bandit could be stalking you through the woods for the perfect opportunity to take your possessions, and what easier way than to wait for you to shut your eyes for the night? A quick slice across the throat and all your gear is now his.

• Like 16

Think of logging out like your character sleeping. A bandit could be stalking you through the woods for the perfect opportunity to take your possessions, and what easier way than to wait for you to shut your eyes for the night? A quick slice across the throat and all your gear is now his.

no just no, If I logout my char should be logged out, obviously the DayZ dev team feels differently, there are much better ways to combat combat loggers then this solution.

The current system works quite well, there have been 0 instances where someone has found me and killed me. There are a million places that are considered "safe."

If you've been dying when logging out...then wouldn't you say it's partly your fault?

Edited by Advent1
  • Like 14

To put it simply, they are not going to use your pet system when a far simpler solution is already in the Experimental build and working as expected. Calculating a 'combat' status is very computationally expensive and with the current framework with everything being done server-side is just not practical. Also, havig log-out timers running all the tim that a player is effectively standing still is also going to hit server performance negatively.

The current solution solves the Combat Logging, Ghosting and Server Jumping for Loot issues that people have been decrying all over these forums. The Devs have said that they tested a system similar to yours and it failed and was exploitable. They didn't elaborate on the exploit but I am inclinded to believe them.

How about we wait until the end of the week and see how it plays out when the update is pushed out to the stable servers. Then we will get a fairer idea of how it will work in the game. We'll be able to tell if it is hitting the right targets by the volume of posts over the coming weekend. It's certainly going to be an interesting few days!

Your last point isn't valid under the current system. You are logged out IMMEDIATELY! Your character stays put for 30 s. You aren't going to be in a position to do anything from the moment you push the 'OK' button. All you need to do is plan for that. And live or die by your decision.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 10

Jesus Christ, how where are you guys logging out where the chances of a random dude finding you in 30 seconds is even a remote possibility?

I've hidden in bushes in the middle of Balota airfield numerous times on full servers when my wife needs me to do something, or I need to check email, do laundry etc., and that's sometimes for 10 minutes. As long as I'm hidden well (which is stupidly easy to do in this game) no one sees me unless they just so happens to run straight into the bush I'm sitting in.

I could very easily be wrong, but it really sounds like you're someone who exits the game when the going gets tough, like people who log out when trying to loot barracks and spots an M4 wielding bandit searching there first. Combat hasn't started, but you go "Oh man, I don't want him to find me" so you switch servers. Again, I could be wrong but your suggested fixes are just way too easy to exploit.

Edited by Demoth
  • Like 15

I'm not worried about a 30 second logout timer. I've afk'd for an hour+ and always felt confident I would survive. Constantly check my flank while finding a nice remote spot with low brush cover. Have not found a zombie outside a point of interest so they aren't a problem.

This I assume is a short term solution that will help alleviate some current problems. Long story short, don't log out at airport weapon spawns and you'll be practically fine.

• Like 2

Completely disagree with 'there's no safe place' to log out. There are literally thousands, you just need to think about it. Also, respawning to a different location would take away a big element of the persistent profile that the game is about.

I like the timer and it's going to help a lot with logging.

• Like 1

I hope two minutes becomes standard. Almost everywhere on the map is safe at any given moment.

• Like 5

I hope two minutes becomes standard. Almost everywhere on the map is safe at any given moment.

This is an even worse idea than the random location thing. Thirty seconds is already long enough.

• Like 4

I like what all that the new logout stuff is doing anyone saying otherwise imo is exploiting the system in some way (as by now you should already found a few servers you play in defaultly not jumping around from server to server)

The only thing i would like tweeked is when i exit i can wait the 30 seconds with the character in game or force exit and leave him there unguarded. 

Edited by twingunz
  • Like 1

This is an even worse idea than the random location thing. Thirty seconds is already long enough.

I can't imagine many situation where i couldn't just escape by running and hiding somewhere quickly. Only if i was unarmed would someone just follow me to carelessly as to keep up with me and see my hiding spot.

30 seconds only solves a handful of situations.

So have I understood this correctly, the timer starts when you're actually out of the game already? It seems a bit silly to have your character sit there as a helpless NPC for a while...

Is there a reason why the count down shouldn't start while in game? For example:

- Find a bush and sit down (f3).

- Press "log out".

- 30-60 second timer starts to tick down on your screen (timer length may be tied to the actions you have performed in the past 5 minutes).

- If you get up, move, perform an action or take damage, the timer stops and you need to repeat the process.

- Once the timer ticks down on your screen, you and your character are out of the game.

This way you would still have control of your character, and have a chance to react to an unexpected threat. While still keeping the timer, so people just can't run around a corner and vanish into thin air by logging out instantly.

Edited by Badass Preacher
  • Like 6

So have I understood this correctly, the timer starts when you're actually out of the game already? It seems a bit silly to have your character sit there as a helpless NPC for a while...

Is there a reason why the count down shouldn't start while in game? For example:

- Find a bush and sit down (f3).

- Press "log out".

- 30-60 second timer starts to tick down on your screen.

- If you get up, move, perform an action or take damage, the timer stops and you need to repeat the process.

- Once the timer ticks down on your screen, you and your character are out of the game.

I think it will end up exactly like that but for now it's alpha and they're just testing stuff and might of simply not had the time to finish implementing all the logout features this patch.

• Like 1

I have been killed in experimental by people logging in at loot spawns this current method does not work.

It might be ok for combat logging but is not very good at all for server hopping.

Edited by BL1P

OK, DUMB QUESTION... IS THE LOGOUT TIMER ALREADY IMPLEMENTED?

I was under the impression that was coming in the next patch which I don't think has ben applied yet, or am I wrong. Servers are still running version 144557

logout timers don't work as you can alt-f4 to close the program or via the task manager.

Couldn't the server still have your static character for a while though, even if you kill the client process? I know nothing about these things, but I have encountered this kinda stuff in other games.

Edited by Badass Preacher

ummm a few of the mods had this and i never lost a guy even when one of the mods had your npc run for 10-15m and lay down to get you out of trees...... if you die you messed up big time since its dam easy to move in to a tree and sit there and not be seen for 30 sec 

logout timers don't work as you can alt-f4 to close the program or via the task manager.

Alt-F4 doesn't get you anything. Your character still sits down in game for the 30 s in this case. The logout timer doesn't differentiate by method of disconnect. Remember: Everything of importance in DayZ is done on the SERVER not the CLIENT!

I have been killed in experimental by people logging in at loot spawns this current method does not work.

It might be ok for combat logging but is not very good at all for server hopping.

Combined with the 260 s log in delay if you leave a server before being in your previous server for 30 min, deals with CL, Ghosting and server jumpy types. In this particular case they were probably logging in for the first time or had waited out the 5 min log in delay. There is no guaranteed way to prevent the really dedicated server jumpers.

I think it will end up exactly like that but for now it's alpha and they're just testing stuff and might of simply not had the time to finish implementing all the logout features this patch.

Sorry, you're not keeping up with the Devs, are you? They tried the alternate way proposed and IT DIDN"T WORK! It was too easy to EXPLOIT! I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to be implemented in the manner you have proposed!

OK, DUMB QUESTION... IS THE LOGOUT TIMER ALREADY IMPLEMENTED?

I was under the impression that was coming in the next patch which I don't think has ben applied yet, or am I wrong. Servers are still running version 144557

Only in the Experimental servers at this point. It is expected to be pushed to Stable servers at the end of this week.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 4

Alt-F4 doesn't get you anything. Your character still sits down in game for the 30 s in this case. The logout timer doesn't differentiate by method of disconnect. Remember: Everything of importance in DayZ is done on the SERVER not the CLIENT!

I meant the menu countdown timer thing, which i thought somebody referred to.

Edited by Thane

I meant the menu countdown timer thing, which i thought somebody referred to.

Quite possibly, then. It might be part of the exploit the Devs were refering to. Either that or the server-side code would have to allow for such an occurance. But that would invariably lead to computational expense that isn't required with the current system we are actively testing on the Exp servers.