apollovulcan

Logging Out - Expermimental Branch 114782

Stand still for 30 seconds anywhere, If you close the game before timers ends your character will automatically die

Stand still for 30 seconds anywhere, If you close the game before timers ends your character will automatically die

This is a joke right? Because the amount of derp is overwhelming.

i think 30 seconds is fair... if you log out in a forest for example the chance are very low for someone to meet you there, if you log out in a big town or military site, its your own fault if you die after logging out there.

Log out should be like rest/camp, you wouldnt do it in a city populated with zombies and other players and you wouldnt even think about doing it in a military base where other players appear all the time.

I would even go a step further and would add no logout zones (military bases for example), i got shot twice by someone who shot me in the back after leaving a building that i just turned inside out.

• Like 2

log out of one server = 30s

ghost around the guy = ? say 5 minutes

log out of that server 30s

hopper penalty = 5 minutes

result = minimum time to ghost someone 8-10 minutes out of game.

if you still manage to catch the guy  after all that? you win. not to mention the minute your vulnerable logging out.

Seriously it's like people who are defending this stupid 30 secs AFTER you log out plan stopped reading right there or are just completely ignoring that this same exact patch is also adding server hopping lockouts.

There is a reason why pretty much every game that has something like this has it so you sit and wait in game and can cancel it if you need to ... like that one game what's it called .... DayZ mod or something. When zombies respawn is it still going to be this way? So you log out and then a zombie spawns and kills you when you're not even in the game. Sounds fun.

This proposed method won't even stop what they are trying to say it will. If you are in a firefight and hide and log out whether you have to wait in game or out you're not going to die 99.9% of the time because people aren't going to try to randomly bum-rush you the second they can't see you anymore. The only thing this is going to do is kill the tards who alt + F4 the second they get shot at.

Edited by Weedz

Seriously it's like people who are defending this stupid 30 secs AFTER you log out plan stopped reading right there or are just completely ignoring that this same exact patch is also adding server hopping lockouts.

There is a reason why pretty much every game that has something like this has it so you sit and wait in game and can cancel it if you need to ... like that one game what's it called .... DayZ mod or something. When zombies respawn is it still going to be this way? So you log out and then a zombie spawns and kills you when you're not even in the game. Sounds fun.

This proposed method won't even stop what they are trying to say it will. If you are in a firefight and hide and log out whether you have to wait in game or out you're not going to die 99.9% of the time because people aren't going to try to randomly bum-rush you the second they can't see you anymore. The only thing this is going to do is kill the tards who alt + F4 the second they get shot at.

It's 30 seconds dude. Find a spot away from loot and or zombie spawns and log out.

Hell have a buddy watch your back while you log out and take turns on each other. . . kinky.

The timer sucked in the mod. People just camped with the timer constantly running all the time.

This fix is awesome. I played the new system all night with no problems.

• Like 1

What do you all think of this, have a 1min log wait where your toon sits there in game, but have the option to log befor the 1min but get a 3min time out if you do so, will fix combat logging and for the rest of us loging out our toons wont be bait, any thoughts

Simple randomise a players zone in location when they change to a different server, favouring remote locations far from high value loot locations.

Bam ghosting killed.

Being in game or not while a 30sec timer elapses is not going to change a successful "combat log".

If you forced someone to stop the logout timer by finding them in a house, then you succeeded in preventing a combat logger. 

If you didn't find them within 30secs, then you didn't find them within 30secs.

Is this concept really so hard to grasp?

I don't see a problem with this log out system, but that's because I don't server hop, I stay on the same server for my entire play time (unless a friend is playing and has shit ping on said server), and when I log out I make sure I'm not in a high travel area and no ones around.

If you end up dieing while your character is sitting there then you obviously aren't paying attention to your surroundings and would have most likely died anyways.  The notes do warn you to log out in a safe place, not in the middle of one of the airfields, not in the middle of elektro/cherno/berezino, in a SAFE place.  Start using your heads and find these safe places.

Although as someone did say it does not help that if people do die with this system in place they can't be sure if it was a player/zombie or if the game ate their character.  But I still think this system is fine.

• Like 2

At the same time, ghosting prevents camping. I think ghosting is cheating but at the same time, camping and then KoSing is also lame.

At the same time, ghosting prevents camping. I think ghosting is cheating but at the same time, camping and then KoSing is also lame.

How can you compare ghosting to camping?

Camping is perfectly legit, you're just sitting in a advantageous position and patiently waiting for victims to enter your killzone. Ghosting on the other hand is purebred cheating. You magically snap your fingers, change to a alternative universe, move behind your enemy and twirl your magic wand again and poof, teleport back to the firefight, behind your enemy. That's plain cheap and outright cheating.

KOS and Camping is perfectly legal, can't believe you use that as an excuse to justify cheating.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

You're not actually using any logic here.  If you're sitting down for thirty seconds and they "get the drop on you" they might very well miss, couldn't they?  In that same thirty seconds of sitting down IN GAME, they would then have the chance to actually react, and use, wait for it.. player skill and intuition to either A) get the hell out of there and try your log out sequence again, or B] fight back and potentially kill the attacking player and then attempt your log out procedure again.

So what you apparently think is best, is that in this same scenario, the player should have absolutely NO chance to defend themselves what-so-ever, and literally roll the dice every single time they log out.  What are you guys going to say when Zombies actually respawn, and you log out, thinking your in a "safe" location, only to have your avatar sitting there in limbo for thirty seconds, and have a zombie spawn in on it, killing your player?  "That's how the game works!".  Seriously?

Logging out should NOT be a blind risk every single time you do it, because that's all it's going to be.

PersonA, we'll call him George.  George likes to play DayZ, he doesn't like to combat log, he doesn't like to server hop.  When he plays DayZ, he gets on and stays on that server, no matter how many players come or go, or what opposition he faces.  When it's time for George to log off, George is done playing DayZ for the day.  One day George was cautiously looting a town, when suddenly he heard someone reloading in the next room.  George had taken his time coming into the town, had seen Zombies undisturbed and muddling about.  He was certain that absolutely no one had been following him, surely this was a combat logger!

CombatLoggerA, we'll call him SirDoucheALot, hates playing DayZ legitimately.  He combat logs, he server hops at every chance he can get (even with the new server disconnect/reconnect timer).  Well SirDoucheALot wasn't originally logging out in this building to kill George, oh no!  He was running scared from a group of players he maliciously tried to spring a trap on, after his plan was foiled, he managed to take refuge inside George's house, and furiously logged out as soon as he got inside the room.  Why else would he wait?  His avatar will be there for 30 seconds after he disconnects whether it's immediately or if he waits any amount of time to see if his pursuers manage to find him, so SirDoucheALot doesn't take any unnecessary chances.  He immediately logs out.

After waiting the 60 second reconnect server timer, to join a different server, SirDoucheALot is now on George's server, in George's house.  George fumbles about and tries to get his gun out, the game bugs out and pulls the 357 magnum out, only to put it away immediately, SirDoucheALot walks in with his gun drawn, and kills George.  SirDoucheALot now moves to a position where he thinks A) he will be safe from the group from before or B] he will be able to attack the group more efficiently than his previous attack, and disconnects.  SirDoucheALot leaves his meaningless phantom behind on George's server, and waits his possibly up to 5 minutes to reconnect to SirDoucheALot's original server, where the group, that legitimately plays DayZ, is still operating.  Now unfortunately for this group, they ran into some Zombie trouble, and had to spend more time in town than they would've liked, knowing that SirDoucheALot's combat logging self could come back any minute now.  Though it had been nearly 10 minutes, SirDoucheALot was able to get into a position and ambush the group that had previously thwarted his attack.

Now poor George, and the group, have all been killed, due to combat logging and ghosting.  All of which, wasn't prevented, from leaving a 30 second avatar behind.  Moral of the story is, treating everyone like combat loggers, doesn't change how people combat log.  It just treats every player, like our poor friend George here, like a malicious combat logging douchebag, like SirDoucheALot.  Don't treat the Georges like the SirDoucheALots.

logging out in a place you know ther is zombie spawns is NOT a safe zone. 

If like to see a system such as the OP suggested (and I've made the same suggestion in the past).

My ideal system is this:

Hitting logout (or shutting down the program, alt-F4, etc, causes you to sit and wait 30 seconds before your avatar actually disappears. But during this time, you're still in-game, and moving, using an item, firing a weapon, etc, interrupts the timer. So, too, does taking damage, or attacks landing near you, allowing other players to keep you from logging out.

This still addresses combat logging, while also allowing the logging out player to defend themselves if attacked. It's better than the current blind system.

The only comment I have is that logging into the game will always remain a game of russian roullette... Well here I am again, did I survive the last logout? Waiting to see if the effigy of your character that appears next to the startup menu is the fully outfitted thug you had or a Bambi on the beach.

Other than that I think it will be a good idea.

Yes, so why not allow the played to regain control of their character if shit hits the fan before the 30sec mark? Instead of letting the shit spray all over them with no chance to do anything

Sounds good. Lets do it. :thumbsup:

Because that's life, and the steps needed to take care of combat loggers.

Fire fights are slow, plodding affairs Un this game. I routinely find myself "sitting" for 3 to 5 minutes at a time I fire fights trying to gauge what my opponents are doing, or slooooowly making my way to a better position.

With your system I could get into the fight, sit back and wait 30 seconds. Cool, they decided to be patient, COMBAT LOG. Oh, they rushed me right away? Now I am forced to fight back when I meant to combat log.

In the case of people intending to combat log, I'd prefer their wrong guess of being rushed was met with them being shot.

And again, I have no idea what server you play on where you're constantly stalked, but I'm forced to routinely go AFK, sometimes for 10 minutes at a time, and not once has anyone randomly stumbled into the bush I'm hiding in.

• Like 1

Bump.  Like I said, I didn't figure the majority of people would be stupid enough to think that blindly rolling the dice every single time you log out as an effective log out system; and clearly the currently proposed logout system from the dev team, doesn't actually prevent any combat logging, ghosting, or anything else they're trying to "fix" by implementing it.

Literally all it does is leave you open and completely defenseless for 30 seconds of which you have completely no control over.  Yeah I definitely want to roll the dice every single time I log out with this 100 hours played character that's survived multiple firefights.  No fucking thanks.

"Oh but just run out to the woods and the middle of no where every single time you log out!!!!"  If the game isn't going to have zombies randomly spawning throughout the wooded areas, this game is going to be shit.  If this game doesn't have zombies spawning inside of homes, on the second floor, in the back room, behind the door in the kitchen, it's going to be shit.  If this game doesn't have a entire horde of zombies that somehow got stuck inside one building, that you won't be able to see them until you open the door and see all 30 of them standing there, about to come after you; this game isn't going to be very challenging.

And unless the dev team is planning on keeping zombie spawns to outside of all buildings, which I have already seen zombies stationary inside a building so far (I'm assuming it spawned in there), there will NEVER be a "safe" place to log out.  You're telling me that I should think it's "safe" to log out, anywhere, when a Zombie could literally respawn 1 second after I press Exit, and spend the next 29 seconds causing me to bleed, infecting me, and possibly killing me?

I'm going to get back on the next day to find a wiped character and have no idea why?  Yeah that idea is genius. 

Because that's life, and the steps needed to take care of combat loggers.

Fire fights are slow, plodding affairs Un this game. I routinely find myself "sitting" for 3 to 5 minutes at a time I fire fights trying to gauge what my opponents are doing, or slooooowly making my way to a better position.

With your system I could get into the fight, sit back and wait 30 seconds. Cool, they decided to be patient, COMBAT LOG. Oh, they rushed me right away? Now I am forced to fight back when I meant to combat log.

In the case of people intending to combat log, I'd prefer their wrong guess of being rushed was met with them being shot.

And again, I have no idea what server you play on where you're constantly stalked, but I'm forced to routinely go AFK, sometimes for 10 minutes at a time, and not once has anyone randomly stumbled into the bush I'm hiding in.

Amazing how you think that while you're "sitting" for 3 to 5 minutes that you wouldn't have multiple 30 second log out windows, allowing you to log on to another server, ghost around to another position, and combat log on them.

You think players SHOULD be free kills,  you probably have yet to kill anyone in DayZ.  You're probably a horrible shot who keeps being friendly to all these jackasses, and keep getting your shit pushed in because of it.  Sorry, but the game doesn't need to become completely broken just because you are a shit shot, and can't kill anyone unless they've already pressed the Exit button and are sitting there defenseless for 30 seconds. 

And that is the exact issue here, the facts are that WHENEVER you log out, whether there are players/zombies attempting to engage you or you are sitting there playing with your dick, this system treats you like you are COMBAT LOGGING TO ESCAPE DANGER.   Explain to me why I should be at risk for 30 seconds after logging out if I just cleared this house, and have been sitting there for any amount of time?  Why the fuck should I be sitting down for 30 seconds AFTER I disconnect, for a Zombie to respawn on top of me, or a player to log in next to me?

You're god damn right if you're sitting down to fucking camp for 30 seconds that if they rush you, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEFEND YOURSELF.  If they're actually going to "combat log" which usually means they're going to try and ghost around for revenge, they won't be able to do that anymore nearly as effectively with the server reconnect timers.

So please, stop spreading your suck all over this game, and let the intelligent people have a discussion.

Edited by McG2

You're god damn right if you're sitting down to fucking camp for 30 seconds that if they rush you, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEFEND YOURSELF.  If they're actually going to "combat log" which usually means they're going to try and ghost around for revenge, they won't be able to do that anymore nearly as effectively with the server reconnect timers.

So please, stop spreading your suck all over this game, and let the intelligent people have a discussion.

That is the dumbest argument I have seen from you. If you are attempting to log you should die, stop being a little pussy and actually fight the people or roll the dice. You probably survived those 100 hours by being a combat logger and you are now mad that you will not be able to magically escape from danger. Come back and cry when it happens until then suck it up and realize most of use were tired of seeing people like yourself vanish into thin air any time someone got the upper hand in a fight. 

Essentially, the lady doth protest to much.

• Like 5

Bump.  Like I said, I didn't figure the majority of people would be stupid enough to think that blindly rolling the dice every single time you log out as an effective log out system; and clearly the currently proposed logout system from the dev team, doesn't actually prevent any combat logging, ghosting, or anything else they're trying to "fix" by implementing it.

Literally all it does is leave you open and completely defenseless for 30 seconds of which you have completely no control over.  Yeah I definitely want to roll the dice every single time I log out with this 100 hours played character that's survived multiple firefights.  No fucking thanks.

"Oh but just run out to the woods and the middle of no where every single time you log out!!!!"  If the game isn't going to have zombies randomly spawning throughout the wooded areas, this game is going to be shit.  If this game doesn't have zombies spawning inside of homes, on the second floor, in the back room, behind the door in the kitchen, it's going to be shit.  If this game doesn't have a entire horde of zombies that somehow got stuck inside one building, that you won't be able to see them until you open the door and see all 30 of them standing there, about to come after you; this game isn't going to be very challenging.

And unless the dev team is planning on keeping zombie spawns to outside of all buildings, which I have already seen zombies stationary inside a building so far (I'm assuming it spawned in there), there will NEVER be a "safe" place to log out.  You're telling me that I should think it's "safe" to log out, anywhere, when a Zombie could literally respawn 1 second after I press Exit, and spend the next 29 seconds causing me to bleed, infecting me, and possibly killing me?

I'm going to get back on the next day to find a wiped character and have no idea why?  Yeah that idea is genius. 

So everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot, great way to win people over to your side.  It's a game, we all can't be playing it 24/7, there do have to be some safe places to log out.  Find one of them and log out in it, and yes hide in a bush, there have been plenty of times people have walked right past me while I was in a bush.  If you log out in a house you are stupid, there could be people in it scavenging for food the next time you log in.  I've seen people log in, in a building, and they promptly got shot in the face.  I don't expect many people dieing because they were on a server for 30 seconds that they couldn't move, unless they do it in the middle of a town, military base, zombie horde, or any place else that's stupid to log out in.  The only people I see having a problem with this is combat loggers and that includes people who log out to avoid any zombie agro.

• Like 2

Dead thread is dead.

OP is just trying to up his post count at this point. It is obvious that the majority of the player base is completely fine with this change.

I've been playing the experimental build for almost a week and have yet to be killed while logging out. No one has ghosted my character and I've killed people that tried to log out after I saw them.

It works.

Edited by Dr. Goner

the logout system right now is okay, but there needs to be a clear sign that someone is logging out

while doing a robbery a few days ago, i held up a player, and he was surrendering, but at the same time logging off

when i reached him and was browsing his inventory, he was suddenly gone

you shouldn't be able to log off while you are surrendering, or at least become "unconcious" when doing so, indicating to everyone else that you are in the logging-out-process

if robbery is not a good option to get loot, people will instead just KoS, which is very unrelistic and counter-productive for both sides, since loot is getting ruined and people lose the interest to talk to other players