Sign in to follow this  
bfisher

Do New Players Not Understand How Hard Core This Shit Is?

I'm wondering if players who are new to the standalone simply just don't know how hard core this shit is.

I've been playing the mod off and on for a bit over a year.  Before I even downloaded the mod, I already had some expectations from message boards and YouTube videos.

So for players who are new to the standalone who are thinking about crying because they keep getting killed:

* You will most likely die within 15 minutes (based off of actual server statistics)

* Until you know what you're doing, you will struggle to find weapons, medicine, food and drink.

* Nearly everyone you meet will be outfitted like a Spetsnaz death squad with silenced automatic weapons.  If this were the mod, they would probably also have a helicopter gunship.

* Back in the day there was always a sniper with a thermal scoped .50 cal rifle at Cherno, Elektro and NWAF.  Stary, Balota and the corridor between Kamenka and NWAF were no picnic either.

* If someone offered you a ride, it was probably to drop you off in the middle of nowhere and kill you.  They would also probably rape you if that was a feature in the game.

* Your biggest threats are other players, opening doors, ladders, rocks, zombies, thirst, hunger 

* Back in the day, you had a fair chance of dying from simply being instakilled or dropped into a Thunderdome by a hacker.   

* Even someone who is friendly will likely turn on you when the opportunity presents itself.

* You go to known military weapon spawns and are surprised someone KoS you?  What were YOU doing there?  Dropping of donations to UNICEF?

* I can see you.  Seriously.  It freaks me out because I figure if you have no idea I'm watching you, who the fuck might be watching me right now!?

* If loot wasn't sort of rare, it wouldn't be a survival game.  It'd be a picking shit up off the ground game.

* This is a game of long hours of lonely tedium, interspersed with moments of profound terror followed by either elation or bitter rage.

Lol I love this, have some beans.

I'm wondering if players who are new to the standalone simply just don't know how hard core this shit is.

I've been playing the mod off and on for a bit over a year.  Before I even downloaded the mod, I already had some expectations from message boards and YouTube videos.

So for players who are new to the standalone who are thinking about crying because they keep getting killed:

* You will most likely die within 15 minutes (based off of actual server statistics)

* Until you know what you're doing, you will struggle to find weapons, medicine, food and drink.

* Nearly everyone you meet will be outfitted like a Spetsnaz death squad with silenced automatic weapons.  If this were the mod, they would probably also have a helicopter gunship.

* Back in the day there was always a sniper with a thermal scoped .50 cal rifle at Cherno, Elektro and NWAF.  Stary, Balota and the corridor between Kamenka and NWAF were no picnic either.

* If someone offered you a ride, it was probably to drop you off in the middle of nowhere and kill you.  They would also probably rape you if that was a feature in the game.

* Your biggest threats are other players, opening doors, ladders, rocks, zombies, thirst, hunger 

* Back in the day, you had a fair chance of dying from simply being instakilled or dropped into a Thunderdome by a hacker.   

* Even someone who is friendly will likely turn on you when the opportunity presents itself.

* You go to known military weapon spawns and are surprised someone KoS you?  What were YOU doing there?  Dropping of donations to UNICEF?

* I can see you.  Seriously.  It freaks me out because I figure if you have no idea I'm watching you, who the fuck might be watching me right now!?

* If loot wasn't sort of rare, it wouldn't be a survival game.  It'd be a picking shit up off the ground game.

* This is a game of long hours of lonely tedium, interspersed with moments of profound terror followed by either elation or bitter rage.

Good info. I just wonder, from your perspective, having apparently played a good deal of the mod, where do you see this game going or where would you like it to go?

when I played it for the first time I found a pistol and started killing people. Now I have pristine m4 and mosin with scope and lots of food. Hardcore I guess lol

when I played it for the first time I found a pistol and started killing people. Now I have pristine m4 and mosin with scope and lots of food. Hardcore I guess lol

Yeah... if the players can't kill you, than the the servers will wipe you... wait for it ;)

Hardcore in all aspects.

Edited by YassirX

Forgot pebbles in the road, low hanging branches and strong opposing winds. All, very VERY dangerous.

• Like 2

If you're not willing to spend 8 hrs gearing up a character to risk the chance to lose it all in a split second then maybe you need to play Candy Crush. smh

• Like 1

* Your biggest threats are ... opening doors, ladders, rocks...

The good ol' snap sound you heard when just bumped your knee while opening a door. 

• Like 3

-Rock 'n' Roll Delight. 

Once upon a time we were bambies! :D

-Ori

I;m apparantly a so called "bambi" , but luckily did some forumreading/tutorial vids research first before i bought the game,

and find it surprising indeed to see people cry about getting killed and dying from starvation,etc.

Also Lucky to have a Steam friend guiding me through my first hours by sharing tips, gear, food and drinks.

But as soon as I started wondering around to explore the land alone, I knew I could loose all these items by a single headshot

Imo the whole fear of loosing all found loot by dying makes this game stand out above other games,

in which so called "rare" loots are allover the place and respawn within a few minutes.

It forces me to play cautious at times , which just makes sense considering the grim "reality" of greedy,

bloodthirsty, psycopathic bandits roaming around also.

But i personally do hope there will be some kind of option in the future that allows a player to

e.g. dig a hole in the ground and bury a crate/box with some food/ammo stash.

Thats something rl preppers/survivalists do apparantly, so it imo will add to the immersive feeling of survivaling in this game.

Finally a game that takes some effort/exploring/studying to learn on how to survive for longer,

this way it will be more satisfying and rewarding when one actually can survive for days in the Woods by hunting wildlife and whatnot

other great options to become in the future!

• Like 6

I feel bad for the new babbies because they are so busy complaining they are letting the best part of the DayZ experience pass them by. 

I don't even pick up compasses anymore. I would love to relive the sheer disorientation of my first day in Chernarus. Good times. 

• Like 4

Props to OP. I've experienced all of this. Newbs, stop the whining and consider your resources and get a leg up on the real nubs that will be joining the game later, after your training is complete.

• Like 1

Good info. I just wonder, from your perspective, having apparently played a good deal of the mod, where do you see this game going or where would you like it to go?

Generally, I'd be happy if they brought over most of the stuff from the mod (vehicles, animals, campfires, tents or equivalent, road flares, chem lights, etc), fixed everything so it worked as advertised, added more zombies, fixed the whole day/night thing, added weather, plus a bit more variety with the weapons and clothes. But generally I do like the direction Rocket is taking it.  My thought is that as a survival game, it should be about having to make horrible horrible choices.  Like having to eat rotten fruit vs starving.  Or running 3 miles in the freezing rain with nothing but a t-shirt and catching pneumonia vs lighting a fire that attracts every bandit for miles.  Or killing some sucker for his food vs calling down a hundred zombies on your ass.   

Also, check out my other thread about "iconic DayZ mod moments".

• Like 1

Well said sir!

You had me at "They would also probably rape you if that was a feature in the game..."

LOL

:P

I;m apparantly a so called "bambi" , but luckily did some forumreading/tutorial vids research first before i bought the game,

and find it surprising indeed to see people cry about getting killed and dying from starvation,etc.

Also Lucky to have a Steam friend guiding me through my first hours by sharing tips, gear, food and drinks.

But as soon as I started wondering around to explore the land alone, I knew I could loose all these items by a single headshot

Imo the whole fear of loosing all found loot by dying makes this game stand out above other games,

in which so called "rare" loots are allover the place and respawn within a few minutes.

It forces me to play cautious at times , which just makes sense considering the grim "reality" of greedy,

But i personally do hope there will be some kind of option in the future that allows a player to

Thats something rl preppers/survivalists do apparantly, so it imo will add to the immersive feeling of survivaling in this game.

Finally a game that takes some effort/exploring/studying to learn on how to survive for longer,

this way it will be more satisfying and rewarding when one actually can survive for days in the Woods by hunting wildlife and whatnot

You deserve my beans for that being your very first post. Cheers!

i did the exact same thing before i bought the game, i also agree on you on making a secret stash it def should be added into the game.

oh yeah, this 'shit' is super hardcore. I mean, I have to click my mouse a few times, press buttons on my keyboard and all. Totally. Hardcore.

Some of you guys make me laugh with how seriously you take this game, you're like babies discovering that you have a hand, and you have control over that hand. Don't let my sarcastic remarks get you down, I mean, I love your passion and wish you the best of luck and fun when you play this game you obviously love. This is a video game though, it's not 'hardcore shit'.

carry on.

• Like 1

Hardcore has F all to do with shooting bambies on sight, this game is getting unbelievable, I cant go anywhere without being shot. To all the newbies just dont buy this POS game right now, nobody has anything better to do then practice their aim on ANYBODY and the power tripping OMG. Its a game, one more person tells me to get on the ground when I dont even have a backpack, weapon, food or drink? Honestly alot of these players need to get a F***ing life. I hope the amount of people that play this drastically drop from the same frustration I am feeling... Go up north you say? (Boring as f**k) Play on low pop servers you say? (Doesnt matter all the server hoppers have all the loot) F**king game is terribly broken right now. I know everyone is going to have something negative to say, but I know in your hearts you feel the same way.

Until shit is fixed and people actually have a goal either then make it to an airfield or military base then server hop, rinse and repeat. Im out, and trust me I know nobody cares, nobody cares but their own experience, which will be terrible and full of frustration. FYI I loved this game, said it every post but I cant anymore, Im going to devote my time to a game where you actually get rewarded for playing.

Edited by Blissful

You need to add :-

And they are going to make it harder as the game evolves.

Have a nice day and Welcome to DayZ. 

"* I can see you.  Seriously.  It freaks me out because I figure if you have no idea I'm watching you, who the fuck might be watching me right now!?"

So true. I always try to keep this in mind

• Like 1