Sign in to follow this  
Ugly (DayZ)

Someone explain zeroing to me!

Well there is this tutorial that uses the blank points, so i guess you can easily find the range if you use that technique and you know what each line stands for. However, i am not really sure if that would work on SA as the scope currently has 1.5x magnification instead of 4x that it's supposed to be and field of view might as well interfere that. Not sure though, i am new to this game anyway, maybe a more experienced player could share his thoughts :D

Saw this in another thread not long after I posted, I didn't realise this was possible but that's pretty cool.

The acog is an awesome and versatile optic......if only the m4 didnt have the accuracy of snot rocket.

Set your zeroing to 100 and that lines up with your "main" crosshair.

next line is 200, then 300, 400, 500 and top of thick black line is 600m. Use width of lines to zero based on targets shoulders.

I can't confirm if fov changes affect the accuracy of the zeroing marks, mostly cause the m4 is so inaccurate in stock form.

• Like 2

Bullets fall over time because of gravity. Therefore to hit something further away you actually need to aim higher. Zeroing is adjusting your cross-hairs in order to have the center x intersect with the proper distance for the bullet to hit the target. 

In DayZ if your zeroing is at 300, putting your crosshairs on a target 300 away will impact in the center. However if you move the target and do not change your zero that is not the case. If you are still zeroed at 300 and are shooting at a target at 400 your point of impact will be BELOW the cross-hair, because gravity is pulling the bullet down. Conversely if you aim at a target that is 200 M away while zeroed at 300 the bullet will impact ABOVE where the cross-hair is. 

Therefor understanding your approximate range becomes very important, especially at more than 300 as the drop of the bullet becomes very significant over time.

Trivia of the day. If you drop a bowling ball and shoot a bullet in a straight line from the same height, both will hit the ground at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIOknFz9L4

Advanced information about zeroing:

Edited by Judopunch

Why don't people post charts and such for this kind of information instead of YouTube videos. I can't watch YouTube videos here :(

I would be nice if they added properly working mil-dot scope. You can measure and calculate the distance by using that system.

I think zeroing is explained enough in this thread.

Why don't people post charts and such for this kind of information instead of YouTube videos. I can't watch YouTube videos here :(

I would be nice if they added properly working mil-dot scope. You can measure and calculate the distance by using that system.

I think zeroing is explained enough in this thread.

I mean... How ungrateful can you be?

Why dont you google your own fucking chart? I just wrote 4 paragraphs and linked bonus material and your SO LAZY that you will take the time to complane that we didnt hand feed you exactly what you wanted? Really? WTF is wrong with you?

I mean... How ungrateful can you be?

Why dont you google your own fucking chart? I just wrote 4 paragraphs and linked bonus material and your SO LAZY that you will take the time to complane that we didnt hand feed you exactly what you wanted? Really? WTF is wrong with you?

Why are you being a dick, is real question.

I read your post and was interested if the videos consisted some additional information but YouTube is blocked on those laptops I can use here. So, instead of being such a f**king douchebag, you could type out what the videos were about which would take you same amount of time than posting this f**king sh*t you did right now, eh?

After seeing your response, I couldn't give a f**k anymore what you had to say because you are another immature dirtbag that wander around these forums.

Edited by SGT. Kalme

Why are you being a dick, is real question.

I read your post and was interested if the videos consisted some additional information but YouTube is blocked on those laptops I can use here. So, instead of being such a f**king douchebag, you could type out what the videos were about which would take you same amount of time than posting this f**king sh*t you did right now, eh?

After seeing your response, I couldn't give a f**k anymore what you had to say because you are another immature dirtbag that wander around these forums.

"Hey, my internet is blocked on laptops, can someone link me a diagram please?" vs "Why don't people post charts and such for this kind of information instead of YouTube videos. I can't watch YouTube videos here  :(".

Still no explanation of why you cant Google a diagram and post it yourself.

"Hey, my internet is blocked on laptops, can someone link me a diagram please?" vs "Why don't people post charts and such for this kind of information instead of YouTube videos. I can't watch YouTube videos here  :(".

Maybe because I wanted to see what YOUR videos were about? Or exactly what should I google if I don't know what those were about? No? Doesn't seem logical?

Maybe because I wanted to see what YOUR videos were about? Or exactly what should I google if I don't know what those were about? No? Doesn't seem logical?

Your not getting the difference between asking and complaining. I would be more than happy to bend over backwards for someone if asked politely. However when someone complains about someone who has already gone out of their way to do something, especially when they could easily help themselves, that pisses me off.

What do you suppose you should search for? Even if you couldnt see the titles of the videos (would be odd but possible) I bet you could guess that the main topics are zeroing rifles, and gravity effecting bullets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifle+zeroing+chart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lfsyU8KtIsH1oATzo4CQAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=799

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifle+zeroing+chart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lfsyU8KtIsH1oATzo4CQAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=799#q=bullets+and+gravity&spell=1&tbm=isch

Yet again. My problem is "Why dont people", instead of "Could someone please". There is a very large attitude difference between the two.

Edited by Judopunch

It's an exponential curve regardless of the sight.  For the ACOG I believe the middle line correspond  to the default 200m.  But beyond that, it may be 100m increments, but I don't know (it seems like a large drop off for only being 100m increments, but someone with more knowledge should give the bottom line).  For the PU scope, one of the problems most people have is assuming the drop off is way more than it is.  I set my PU scope to 200, and dont mess with zeroing unless it is to decrease it for some CQ action, since the Mosin or SKS is the bauce gun for CQ...

Anyways, I find the best way to determine the distance is to practice.  Go to a small town and shoot some zombies from far away.  Use different means to judge distance.  Hell, go to the coast and pick off freshspawns.  Just, make sure after each kill you explain to no one that they died for science.

EDIT:  Turns out if you read a thread, try to reply, and forget to submit it, and wait a few hours, by the time you post, your info is no longer relevant.  Not sure it was to begin with.  Did my font just change?  wtf?

Edited by MuddyRaccoon

It's an exponential curve regardless of the sight.  For the ACOG I believe the middle line correspond  to the default 200m.  But beyond that, it may be 100m increments, but I don't know (it seems like a large drop off for only being 100m increments, but someone with more knowledge should give the bottom line).  For the PU scope, one of the problems most people have is assuming the drop off is way more than it is.  I set my PU scope to 200, and dont mess with zeroing unless it is to decrease it for some CQ action, since the Mosin or SKS is the bauce gun for CQ...

Anyways, I find the best way to determine the distance is to practice.  Go to a small town and shoot some zombies from far away.  Use different means to judge distance.  Hell, go to the coast and pick off freshspawns.  Just, make sure after each kill you explain to no one that they died for science.

I find for general in town shooting 200M is pretty good if you are aming at center mass. 

The small lines indicate shoulder width of the target, as explained in the diagrams on the first page.

Yes

Wrong...

The ACOG is a special situation and is kind of similar in relation to the ranging method to the Russian SVD scope with the range slope.

The ACOG sight's vertical scope has horizontal lines. Those horizontal lines indicate an averaged shoulder width of an individual. To get a range ON the target, you line up the horizontal lines to the approximate width of the targets shoulders, which gives you your range. You then range your weapon, the M4 in this case, to that range, and use the central carrot as your aim point to where you want to hit your target. Obviously you there's still some guesstimating if the target isn't exactly at range for those bars, or if the target has smaller or larger shoulders than usual.

The SVD scope uses a range slope in the lower left to accomplish the same range acquisition and I think it uses the height of an average person. Which for some countries I think varies. But, I think on an SVD scope it is 1.8m? I don't honestly remember.

Scout Snipers are actually trained to remember sizes of various objects of their opponents military arsenal for proper range acquisition (if no laser range finder is available or ill advised). They'll remember things like average doorway heights in the country of operation, or vehicle tire sizes, etc... Snipers also keep something called a range chart of their surrounding area for easier range estimation and target acquisition.

OH... just read that someone posted the answer up above and what he said is absolutely true about the FOV adjustment.

FOV in this game is ridiculous. Adjusting your FOV adjusts the zoom but does NOT adjust the scope. Thereby shoulders that WERE at 600m, if you lower your FOV, now look like they're at 50m. Very much needs to be addressed. I tried the FOV change and it literally blew my friggin' mind... a PU scope with FOV adjusted is as good as a LRS at default FOV.... mind blown... :( :( :( The only problem is that range acquisition becomes useless, or rather, very erroneous.

Edited by sniperdoc

Your not getting the difference between asking and complaining. I would be more than happy to bend over backwards for someone if asked politely. However when someone complains about someone who has already gone out of their way to do something, especially when they could easily help themselves, that pisses me off.

What do you suppose you should search for? Even if you couldnt see the titles of the videos (would be odd but possible) I bet you could guess that the main topics are zeroing rifles, and gravity effecting bullets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifle+zeroing+chart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lfsyU8KtIsH1oATzo4CQAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=799

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifle+zeroing+chart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lfsyU8KtIsH1oATzo4CQAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=799#q=bullets+and+gravity&spell=1&tbm=isch

Yet again. My problem is "Why dont people", instead of "Could someone please". There is a very large attitude difference between the two.

I don't think you are understanding it very well either. From your response, I can only see that you are held up loaded and only waiting to be triggered over any post that "looks" like complaining to you. Or you can't just think of other ways of communicating than only going around and begging for people to help. I asked a question why people don't to that - you chose to be a douche and that is what you get.

As I replied earlier, I don't care anymore what those were about, don't waste your time posting.

There's really no need for that type of tone from both of you. First off, I'm just guessing, but he's probably at work or school, or truly overseas where a proxy blocks all game related content and youtube videos. Very common.

Also, in response to Sgt's questions... because this isn't the place to post general instructions how DayZ works. That's what the wiki is for.

In response to mil-dot scopes, I'm sure they'll probably be in here eventually, however, I find the ACOG and SVD type scope much easier to sight with in games than a mil-dot scope... which, the mil-dot might be better when you start including wind, weather and elevation... :)

((target height in m) x 1000) / height in mils = range to target in meters

((range in hundreds divided by 100) x wind velocity (mph)) / target range constant = minutes

(lead in meters x 1,000) / range to target

yuck... hated that... Guess that's why I was content being the Corpsman... xD

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 1

I don't think you are understanding it very well either. From your response, I can only see that you are held up loaded and only waiting to be triggered over any post that "looks" like complaining to you. Or you can't just think of other ways of communicating than only going around and begging for people to help. I asked a question why people don't to that - you chose to be a douche and that is what you get.

As I replied earlier, I don't care anymore what those were about, don't waste your time posting.

That pretty much sums me up. There is a lot of needless bellyaching and entitlement that comes across on these forums. I probably take it more personally than I should.  And my point is you didnt ask a question, you made a statement. In my interpretation the previous posters went through all the trouble to bake you a cake, and you said I wish someone made pie. Would you announce that IRL if someone came in and handed you a cake they spent time making? I just want people to think about how they come off in the bigger scheme. I probably come off as an asshole most of the time, but often people can only comment on the way I carry out my opinion and not actually defend their original position (my second biggest pet peeve).

If there is any additional information you would like please do ask. 

• Like 1

That pretty much sums me up. There is a lot of needless bellyaching and entitlement that comes across on these forums. I probably take it more personally than I should.  And my point is you didnt ask a question, you made a statement. In my interpretation the previous posters went through all the trouble to bake you a cake, and you said I wish someone made pie. Would you announce that IRL if someone came in and handed you a cake they spent time making? I just want people to think about how they come off in the bigger scheme. I probably come off as an asshole most of the time, but often people can only comment on the way I carry out my opinion and not actually defend their original position (my second biggest pet peeve).

If there is any additional information you would like please do ask. 

No, you are right. I expressed myself wrong and should have asked. But that doesn't excuse being impolite because I wasn't being impolite anywhere in my post.

• Like 1

So as you can see, zeroing is a very easy to understand thing, as shown in the myriad of replies here.  To summarise let x be y and where a = 9 and b = f the answer is always "Tuesday". :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So as you can see, zeroing is a very easy to understand thing, as shown in the myriad of replies here.  To summarise let x be y and where a = 9 and b = f the answer is always "Tuesday". :thumbsup:

But its Thursday!!! :O Did we break it?

• Like 2

The funny thing is... wasn't he almost right? y=mx+b? HAHAHAHA ( i know... that's just the slope formula...)

Edited by sniperdoc