Sign in to follow this  
Ugly (DayZ)

Someone explain zeroing to me!

Hi there! First let me preface by saying: I have used the search function and not found the answer to my question. If this has already been answered, please link.

I am using the ACOG scope.

When I look through scope, I see a bunch of lines. 2,4,6,8...

I believe this represents the distance in hundreds of meters needed to allow for bullet drop?

When I use the zero function, the distance in top right corner changes, but nothing is actually reflected on screen. (While scoped, the bars don't tick to a new location).

How does this effect where my bullet will travel in the game?

ps I don't hunt/shoot IRL, so I am not sure if zeroing a real scope moves the sights IRL.

Here is how zeroing works, at least from what I understand: If you set it to 600 meters for example, that is the distance it is set to shoot at when looking at the center of the scope. Let me know if you dont understand that lol

• Like 1

Hi there! First let me preface by saying: I have used the search function and not found the answer to my question. If this has already been answered, please link.

I am using the ACOG scope.

When I look through scope, I see a bunch of lines. 2,4,6,8...

I believe this represents the distance in hundreds of meters needed to allow for bullet drop?

When I use the zero function, the distance in top right corner changes, but nothing is actually reflected on screen. (While scoped, the bars don't tick to a new location).

How does this effect where my bullet will travel in the game?

ps I don't hunt/shoot IRL, so I am not sure if zeroing a real scope moves the sights IRL.

Im not sure about the zero'ing in the top right but for ACOG weapons there is no need to change it. it's gauged as you already said on the scope. I believe the zeroing function is suited to the Mosin Scope ATM.

and yes it does change the centre point in which your bullet would land. EG i set my Zeroing to 600m, the centre of my mosin scope now will hit at 600m without any other change. 

the easy explanation:

zeroed at 100meters, bullet hits at 100 meters, center of reticle.

zeroed at 200 meters, bullet hits at 200 meters, center of reticle.

and so on.

In game, there is no visual differences.

also use this to gauge distance on your targets

Y59cPM7.png

That's actually a handy gauge, if it's accurate.

I miss the SVD scope. Loved this thing:

699655093.jpg

• Like 1

That's actually a handy gauge, if it's accurate.

I miss the SVD scope. Loved this thing:

699655093.jpg

Accurate so far. Never let me down in ARMA or the mod... if Dean keeps things "realistic" and "authentic" then it should work 100% of the time.

Yeah i miss the SVD scope also. Hoping that makes a comeback in SA 

also use this to gauge distance on your targets

Y59cPM7.png

The missing piece of information is what distance the topmost bar assumes, ie: which zeroing you need to make the other bars accurate.

The missing piece of information is what distance the topmost bar assumes, ie: which zeroing you need to make the other bars accurate.

It's 200m, Standard on ACOG sights.....

(it says so on the lens) 

• Like 1

Zeroing: Say the zeroing of a rifle is set to 300. At 300 meters, the bullet will impact in the center of your scope. Say you see someone at 500 meters away, you should set your zeroing to 500 so that the bullet hits where the center of your scope is pointed. If you were to set it to 200, the bullet would start to drop earlier. Zeroing basically means when the bullet will start to drop off. Despite that, you can't set it to 900 and expect to hit the guy while aiming right at him, as the bullet would fly over. If your rifle could only zoom to 400, you'd aim 1 mil-dot above him (The little dots above and below the center of your scope). So, shooting with a 1000 zeroing at a target 50 meters away will make the bullet fly over him.

Use the lines to guess distance, set range with page up/page down, if you don't have time for that, just spray and pray :-P

It's handy also to note, that when you actually attach a scope to a gun it automatically switches the zeroing to the default for that scope.

E.g. When you attach the ACOG the zeroing will always auto switch to 200.

If you have arma oa do the shooting range tutorial, teaches zeroing on moving targets gives you a feel for visual distance ie that's how big a guy looks 500 mts away. Also find a quiet spot with your scoped weapon and say pick a tree or window in the distance, set a zeroing amount and get a feel for your weapon ingame and gauge the distance. For example sniper hill in elektro, hit some at the school, hospital, church, fire station and far industry behind fire station. Remember that the further you shoot the longer your bullet takes to reach the target. Once you have emptied a clip or 2 you should know, visually ingame the rough distance of what your aiming at.

Edited by Luc1fer

For the ACOG, leave the zeroing alone (at 200). Instead match the horizontal bars up to the width of the target's shoulders. This will always result in a fairly accurately "zeroed" shot and you can start putting lead on that area immediately.

If using the ACOG keep the zero at 200(default) and then you can use the numbers on the reticle to hit those distances. 

Syphax4Ever bet me to it lol.

Edited by OrdeaL

Just got a question regarding the ranging with the agoc not zeroing, tried searching all over the place but found only info regarding the mod version. So default zeroing is set at 200 for the acog when you log in. How does the lines though correspond to for range finding? For ex. if the center line aligns with a targets shoulder is he at 100m or 200m? My guess is that it scales at 100m increment but i want someone to confirm that. Sorry for posting on an old threat, i felts it wasn't needed to create a new one

Hello there, did a little research and haven't found any info regarding the SA version. I'd like to know what each line on the Acog corresponds in meters. I know how it works finding the range and zeroing but i am not sure what the 2 lines above 400m stand for. I know you can use a map etc to find the range and zero correctly but i'd like to do that on the fly rather than switching into a browser.

Aren't they just point blank markers? Since firing closer than whatever the gun is zeroed to would cause the bullet to hit higher. I don't think there are any range finder scopes in game yet unless you really can use the ACOG to calculate range. You certainly can get range finders that work like this (finding range based on size of the target) but I'm not aware of anything like that in game yet unless it is as you say and you can use the ACOG for it.

Is this it? http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dayz.gamepedia.com/8/88/Acog_Optics_Zoomed.png because the lines above look like 300m and 200m to me.

Edited by Nanoha

Correct me if im wrong but i think the 2 lines above are 300m and 200m meters cause if you put an acog on your m4 it automatically zeroes for 200 meters.

Aren't they just point blank markers? Since firing closer than whatever the gun is zeroed to would cause the bullet to hit higher. I don't think there are any range finder scopes in game yet unless you really can use the ACOG to calculate range. You certainly can get range finders that work like this (finding range based on size of the target) but I'm not aware of anything like that in game yet unless it is as you say and you can use the ACOG for it.

Is this it? http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dayz.gamepedia.com/8/88/Acog_Optics_Zoomed.png because the lines above look like 300m and 200m to me.

Well there is this tutorial that uses the blank points, so i guess you can easily find the range if you use that technique and you know what each line stands for. However, i am not really sure if that would work on SA as the scope currently has 1.5x magnification instead of 4x that it's supposed to be and field of view might as well interfere that. Not sure though, i am new to this game anyway, maybe a more experienced player could share his thoughts :D

Edited by Alel
  • Like 2

Well there is this tutorial that uses the blank points, so i guess you can easily find the range if you use that technique and you know what each line stands for. However, i am not really sure if that would work on SA as the scope currently has 1.5x magnification instead of 4x that it's supposed to be and field of view might as well interfere that. Not sure though, i am new to this game anyway, maybe a more experienced player could share his thoughts :D

^  This + math = profit :)