Sign in to follow this  
crazykage

Hatchet as an alternative to axes (idea proposal: discuss)

Heres my idea as I see it:

Player could find in game a rare (quite rare, in fact, for reasons I will explain below) melee item: a hatchet, which could be used as an alternative to the fire axe or wood splitter.

The advantage: Item takes up only 2 (vertical) inventory slots, and thus can be stored easily in your backpack or other inventory, instead of on your back, which would free up the space on your back to carry an additional firearm (some combo of mosin, m4, shotty, or other long barreled gun added in later), without having to drop the extra gun on the ground any time you put something else in your hands (this advantage is why the hatchet should be a rare find).

The draw back: Unless the hatchet is stored in pants or shirt/vest pockets, it cannot be equipped to your tool belt (it can be stored in your backpack, but to put it in your hands, you will need to move it to an inventory slot that is NOT your backpack). Once it is equipped, it can be used against players or zombies. As a further tradeoff, the smaller, lighter weapon with a shorter reach would require two hits on a zombie to drop it, like the wood splitter.

As it is smaller, it would also be less efficient at harvesting wood than the fire axe, and would require significantly more time to do so (this feature is entirely dependent on how wood harvesting is eventually implemented).

That's what I have so far. What do you folks think?

NOTE: I do realize that other aspects of development are far more important at this time. I propose this as an idea for EVENTUAL implementation. Not right now.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 4

Should just be able to hack saw the current wood splitter to be shorter and free up room in your bag, but reduce the range of the weapon. but increase the speed at which it can be swung? maybe...

• Like 5

Should just be able to hack saw the current wood splitter to be shorter and free up room in your bag, but reduce the range of the weapon. but increase the speed at which it can be swung? maybe...

I could see this being done with the fire axe, yes. And then it would function like a hatchet. But the wood splitter? No. You really NEED that longer handle to use it efficiently IRL. I have a wood splitter at my house. It is basically a sledge hammer with a dull, steeply beveled blade. Without the long handle, you would just have a very heavy hammer that would easily slip out of your hands.

In addition, the long handle is what enables you to swing that thing with enough force to get that steeply beveled blade to actually do its job; splitting logs. without it, you would still be able to hurt someone, but not as easily. Basically what I am saying is that without the long handle, it becomes a poorly balanced and clumsy weapon.

Edited by Crazykage

Don't think it should be rarer.  Should be less damage than a wood splitting ax just because it doesn't have the heft of one.

Don't think it should be rarer.  Should be less damage than a wood splitting ax just because it doesn't have the heft of one.

Then maybe make it a common item, but the trade off of enabling one to carry two long barreled guns is that it takes 3 hits on a zombie to kill it (lighter weapon maybe also means it can be swung faster?)?

Sewing off the handle with the saw would be quite good to implement the function of the saw too... the fire axe would take less slot this way and instead of the slot which the axe occupies another second weapon might be carried... which would be some good alternative for every kind of situation.

If anything the splitting ax model is purely a hatchet with an extended handle. Now for the ax with a hammer side it's called a splitting maul and they are a bitch to use. 

When you say "wood splitter" are you speaking of the splitting axe? Because it appears smaller and much lighter than the fire axe to me.

They should add a proper hatchet, for Chernarus survival there's not much reason to go to the trouble of carrying around full-sized axes and they shouldn't even make very good weapons.

well, it seems that my understanding of the difference between a "wood splitter" and a "splitting maul" was incorrect....

But regardless, it seems that thus far the general opinion is that the game should, at some point, include a hatchet as an alternative melee weapon.

AND thus far, nobody seems to have any issues with my proposal on how it should function and be implemented as an ingame item.

Anybody else?

I recall hearing somewhere that they intend to eventually add some sort of rifle bags that you can use to carry a second long gun around in. Given that, I'd say that carrying a hatchet instead of a full sized axe should still free up your melee slot, if you want it to, but shouldn't allow you to carry another gun. Ideally, the hatchet would merely serve as a more inventory-friendly way to collect wood, for those that currently keep their axe in their bag for camo reasons.

It should also be a particularly weeny weapon, like the hammer, but maybe a tiny bit more damage. 3 or 4 hits to kill a zed with a hatchet seems pretty reasonable.

Edited by Blaaaaaaag

No problem with the hatchet idea i would debate the amount of room it takes up from a stand point of what current items take up . EG a pistol takes 4 slots and well a pistol is alot smaller in most cases than a hatchet so going by that sizing it would be more like 5 or 6 slots perhaps.

The idea of not being able to use it in the quick bar unless its in easy to reach spot i can go with this also but then that mechanic would need to be applied to all other items lol ( currently i have my compass in a protector case in my bag and the way it is its still as quick to pull out if i havee it in my top shirt pocket...

what about a tomahawk :D?

i mean, could be used as a hatchet or hammer

tomahawk-t13343.jpgstock-photo-native-american-tomahawk-num

Nevertheless, a great idea, IMO ;)

Edited by irishroy

I would like to see a tomahawk, but would it really fit in Chenarus?  It'd be like finding a Katana in someone's home, more than likely a shitty replica or the 1/1,000,000 that it's a real one in the hands of a collector.

I would like to see a tomahawk, but would it really fit in Chenarus?  It'd be like finding a Katana in someone's home, more than likely a shitty replica or the 1/1,000,000 that it's a real one in the hands of a collector.

Well a tomahawk could be an improvised weapon. I would quit Day Z if they add in katanas, overrated damn things.

• Like 1

Hatchet yes, Tomahawk no.

Why not? It would be a very easy improvised weapon. Stone or a piece of metal, leather strips and some sticks. More improvised elements in this game would make surviving in the woods easier.

If anything, there should be added a carpenters hammer as an improvised weapon eventually. Think about it: a tool that would be absolutely everywhere, with many varied uses, and capable of some pretty serious wounds. I've personally stove in the head of a freshly-slaughtered pig with one, and even if you don't hit in the head, you would still cause serious tissue damage/broken bones.

In all seriousness, the melee system needs to be revamped. One hit with a shovel should put someone out of commission, not 5+. CQC should be brutally difficult, but also brutally effective.

You can build a tomahawk from a stick, (flint-)stone, some rope and maybe a saw ;)

2095105_1_l.jpg

We got evrything in the game to build a tomahawk.

we got stones, rope, saw and stix

Edited by irishroy

Oh man, I suggested this back in 2012, I think. So yes absolutely add it. I didn't even think about stuffing it into your inventory and I think that's a great idea. I hate when random sticks and handles stick out of my back and I try to look around in first person. The knife isn't that great either, so this would be good.

eastwing%20hatchet.jpg