Fl0rean

Why is this possible?

While I got shot in the middle of the night, I did a research about hacking in the dayz standalone.It is actually possible to do so. (see the link below)

So my question is. How is this possible?

Rocket promised us, that everything will generate on server base and this should make hacking impossible. The fact that hacking is possible makes this simple a lie (rocket is very often a little imprecise with his statements). 

I don't want to hear the excuse "This is still in Alpha" because this time it doesn't justify the appearance of hackers at all. Even before the standalone came out he promised us a game without hackers and this the least, the player community can expect.

I am truly pissed. Please don't get me false, just because I am not one of these "rocket fanboys", it doesn't mean that I am against this game. Not at all! I love this game and I am worried it is evolving in the wrong direction. It is not really part of the topic but I also don't see the use of the last update. Why do we need a crappy shotgun, bugged spraycans, or more looks for zombies, while they need to fix major issues like: The zombies, loot respawning, desync, performance, sound, hackers etc. 

I know things are not always right in an alpha, but the hacker issue should have been fixed already. I love testing this game and I really want to help the development. But now as a player, I simply feel tricked. I can live with any bugs or issues, but not hackers! I am truly worried that Bohemia Interactive is not interested in DayZ anymore, because they already got their money out of this project and now they just add stuff in order to create continuing attention for the game.

[removed link of the vid myself]

added another video: (sorry that it is german)

REMOVED

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 1

notice the video maker is immature and infact a dick.

Do NOT post links to videos about scripts / hacks / cheats or websites that sell any of the above.

And I'm saying this, even though I absolutely love The Prodigy.

Edited by kichilron

I bet those guys that make this stuff are loving the free advertising you are providing them.

EDIT: OP removed video link. Smartest thing he has done in this thread.

(OP gets shot in the middle of the night. It must be hax...)

Edited by Crazykage

Do NOT post links to videos about scripts / hacks / cheats or websites that sell any of the above.

sry, I wasn't thinking. Removed it already.

While I got shot in the middle of the night, I did a research about hacking in the dayz standalone.It is actually possible to do so. (see the link below)

So my question is. How is this possible?

Rocket promised us, that everything will generate on server base and this should make hacking impossible. The fact that hacking is possible makes this simple a lie (rocket is very often a little imprecise with his statements). 

I don't want to hear the excuse "This is still in Alpha" because this time it doesn't justify the appearance of hackers at all. Even before the standalone came out he promised us a game without hackers and this the least, the player community can expect.

I am truly pissed. Please don't get me false, just because I am not one of these "rocket fanboys", it doesn't mean that I am against this game. Not at all! I love this game and I am worried it is evolving in the wrong direction. It is not really part of the topic but I also don't see the use of the last update. Why do we need a crappy shotgun, bugged spraycans, or more looks for zombies, while they need to fix major issues like: The zombies, loot respawning, desync, performance, sound, hackers etc. 

I know things are not always right in an alpha, but the hacker issue should have been fixed already. I love testing this game and I really want to help the development. But now as a player, I simply feel tricked. I can live with any bugs or issues, but not hackers! I am truly worried that Bohemia Interactive is not interested in DayZ anymore, because they already got their money out of this project and now they just add stuff in order to create continuing attention for the game.

lol no video here

It is not impossible. Hackers will always find bugs/glitches in the coding which they can exploit and make hacks out of it. Currently the game is in alpha and hackers are obviously a big problem. But as the game develops, there will be less hacks available and there will be bans more often. For now just don't play the game unless you are not willing to help with the alpha.

Oh and you are advertising a hacking site, good job!

Edited by sukka

I bet those guys that make this stuff are loving the free advertising you are providing them.

EDIT: OP removed video link. Smartest thing he has done in this thread.

(OP gets shot in the middle of the night. It must be hax...)

There are hackers, thats a fact. Also I removed the video myself, I know it was dump but it still exists and even worse: It is possible

Edited by Fl0rean

Yeah OP has a point there, standalone = no modding or hacking doors open

"It is evolving in the wrong direction"

true that

• Like 1

It is not impossible. Hackers will always find bugs/glitches in the coding which they can exploit and make hacks out of it. 

1. That means: It is possible

2. The fact why I am annoyed, is that this hacks do not depend on the server but on the client. Exactly what rocket promised us will not be the case.

Edited by Fl0rean

1. That means: It is possible

2. The fact why I am annoyed, is that this hacks do not depend on the server but on the client. Exactly what rocket promised us will not be the case.

Note, there will always be client side hacks, but as hackers make them BattlEye/VAC patches them.

every game has hackers... deal with it... no anti cheat system is perfect, and this is still an alpha game. just be glad there is any anti-cheat at all let alone 2 layers of protection... personally Ive never even had any interaction that could be called hacking since the alpha was released... guess thats just me...

every game has hackers... deal with it... no anti cheat system is perfect, and this is still an alpha game. just be glad there is any anti-cheat at all let alone 2 layers of protection... personally Ive never even had any interaction that could be called hacking since the alpha was released... guess thats just me...

No, I would not accept such a statement from a company producing games, sorry.

Edited by Fl0rean
  • Like 1

Reported just to make sure.

A moderator can make the call, whether this unintentionally promotes hacks or not.

Edited by Dallas

AFAIK, the 'hacks' involving removing trees and other objects from the game, allowing players to walk through walls and buildings, have been fixed. This was caused by the game not actually doing an integrity check to make sure all the required pbo files were actually there, and I believe was fixed with either the latest patch, or the one before that.

Regarding posting videos and whether or not that's ok: Honestly, I would think that posting every hack you can actually find to some kind of 'here's a hack' thread would be a great idea, as that would allow the dev team to see those hacks, attempt to use them, and reverse engineer them to find the exact vulnerability that needs fixing.

sukka, you need to edit your reply to remove the video from your quote of the OP. OP already removed it from his post. But you inadvertently brought it back by quoting him.

Network Game Basics 101:

For any networked game, at some point, the server has to trust the data coming from the client, and the client has to trust the data fed to it by the server. Without that premise, there is no game. Hackers exploit this simple premise and inject their data at the point that trust is guaranteed.

A dev can, and usually does, have the server and client jump through multiple hoops before it will trust the other, but this leads to an arms race, in which there are very real deminishing returns, becoming overly burdensome on the legitimate players for the sake of a small percentage of cheaters.

You cannot get rid of all hack-ability from a system, but you can make it increasingly difficult. You can ramp up the consequences of being caught out by using additional methods i.e. VAC and BE.

Each side is playing catch up with the other. The game devs respond to a new hack and render it useless for a short time until a newer one is released. If they are lucky, some of the slower players who use the old one will be caught and banned, and will post on the forum about it. LOL. The Hackers response will see a flurry of hacking in game until in turn the devs jump all over their party and squash them for a short time, in  turn.

VAC & BE are working and the devs are working, and hacking in DayZ has been minimal at best. It is at the level of annoyance, but not, IMHO, overly bothersome.

EDIT: Removed an unfortunate double negative!

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Reported just to make sure.

A moderator can make the call, whether this unintentionally promotes hacks or not.

Who does actually care about the fact that there are hackers? And that rocket lied to us when he promised us a server based game? Who is interested in the development of dayz? In fact really nobody is, not even bohemia interactive, screw that!

• Like 1

Network Game Basics 101:

For any networked game, at some point, the server has to trust the data coming from the client, and the client has to trust the data fed to it by the server. Without that premise, there is no game. Hackers exploit this simple premise and inject their data at the point that trust is guaranteed.

A dev can, and usually does, have the server and client jump through multiple hoops before it will trust the other, but this leads to an arms race, in which there are very real deminishing returns, becoming overly burdensome on the legitimate players for the sake of a small percentage of cheaters.

You cannot get rid of all hack-ability from a system, but you can make it increasingly difficult. You can ramp up the consequences of being caught out by using additional methods i.e. VAC and BE.

Each side is playing catch up with the other. The game devs respond to a new hack and render it useless for a short time until a newer one is released. If they are lucky, some of the slower players who use the old one will be caught and banned, and will post on the forum about it. LOL. The Hackers response will see a flurry of hacking in game until in turn the devs jump all over their party and squash them for a short time, in  turn.

VAC & BE are working and the devs are working, and hacking in DayZ has been minimal at best. It is at the level of annoyance, but not IMHO not overly bothersome.

This 100%.

In addition, take solace in the fact that every time the cycle of "hack released, Hack detected, time is given to let hackers get comfortable, mass ban, repeat" runs through, the hackers who get perma banned have to re purchase both the game, AND the updated hack if they wish to continue hacking.

So while that poor kid is crying, because he is a kid, and because he is being unfairly bullied, the hacker is having a hole opened up inside is wallet, which is so small and dense that not even pennies can escape its pull.

Edited by Crazykage

There are hackers, thats a fact. Also I removed the video myself, I know it was dump but it still exists and even worse: It is possible

and then you put in a NEW video. WHY?

Just when I thought this thread was evolving from a hack complaint/advert, into a debate about how the game is being developed in relation to hacks, you do this.

STOP ADVERTISING HACKS.

Its one thing to talk about what happened and why you think it was a hack, or even to BITCH about it.

Its another entirely to repeatedly post advert videos about them, and help promote them, either deliberately (what I am now suspecting is the op's objective) or not.

"Rocket promised us, that everything will generate on server base and this should make hacking impossible"

I doubt it

• Like 1

Sure some hackers out there.

The video is dated before VAC and BE was activated. I bet they were banned.

and then you put in a NEW video. WHY?

Just when I thought this thread was evolving from a hack complaint/advert, into a debate about how the game is being developed in relation to hacks, you do this.

STOP ADVERTISING HACKS.

Its one thing to talk about what happened and why you think it was a hack, or even to BITCH about it.

Its another entirely to repeatedly post advert videos about them, and help promote them, either deliberately (what I am now suspecting is the op's objective) or not.

Because I simply want people to see that it is possible. I am not advertising anything, i am trying to help the development of the game. Some people with insufferable attitudes might call that bitching. Never mind I won't post anything in this forum anymore, people do not really discuss about it anyway, besides do not give a fuk.  And this quoted guy seems to be only interested in flaming than anything else. Probably never had a real discussion in school. Flamers are just as bad as hackers....

Edited by Fl0rean

Because I simply want people to see that it is possible. I am not advertising anything, i am trying to help the development of the game. Some people with insufferable attitudes might call that bitching. Never mind I won't post anything in this forum anymore, people do not really discuss about it anyway, besides do not give a fuk.  And this quoted guy seems to be only interested in flaming than anything else. Probably never had a real discussion in school. Flamers are just as bad as hackers....

And so now you resort to insulting me. WE KNOW HACKS ARE POSSIBLE!

WE DONT NEED YOU TO POST VIDEOS OF THEM, TO KNOW THAT, WHILE YOU DELIBERATELY OR INADEVERANTLY ADVERTISE THEM.

Good bye and good riddance. Remove the SECOND video you posted, and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

"I just want people to see that it is possible..."

No shit. There are hacks in EVERY game. You haven't told us anything we don't already know. You have only promoted the hack itself. well done.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 1

You have to be very naive if you think a game that is not a straight up MMO will be unhackable. As long there something client side that could give you an advantage when exploited, it will be.