libertine

Played on a 1st Person server last night...

Grass should be forced to render at far greater distances, make it super-low quality at ranges greater than 200m or whatever, should still be green 8-bit stilks sticking up from the ground to hide you so you don`t feel like a dumbass crawling through tall grass.

Its aiready simuIated.

on distance your char sinks into ground texture by 50-70%. this is a feature from arma and simuIates the gras on distance

It's true, first person gives you a more immersive experience and helps level the playing field. It also changes the player combat dynamics. I like to play both, and feel like combat in 3rd person servers is much more 1 sided. Players sit for long periods out of view to others and gain a huge advantage. That's why i feel that 3rd person servers have more KOS incidents, while Fps or Hardcore servers have a healthy mix

Yeah the hardcore servers typically house your less "OMG SHOOT NAO!" players because...well let's be honest...hardcore removes your "I can see you before I come around this building" advantage, making the playing field much more even, as you mentioned.

If you don't have the drop on someone and they don't have the drop on you, both are less likely to make a move :P Plenty of times in hardcore I and another player stumble across each other, have a Mexican stand off, and go about our very business

• Like 1

There's 3rd person servers?  :huh:

I really don't care for FPS restricted servers so i play on 3rd person all the time. Honestly i don't see what the issue is just pay attention to your surroundings. You can avoid almost any situation FPS or 3rd if you just pay attention and don't rush things. Seriously having camera advantages in 3rd person can save your ass big time.

Edited by Deathlove

I almost entirely play on first-person servers and I'm really glad you had fun switching over, I think most people who try it would find that it's a more tactical experience and enhances the fun overall. I know you're not saying you want third-person removed, but I want to say I don't, people who are happy with it should have the option available.

the main problem is the limited amount of hardcore servers and they are hardly full. wouldn't mind staying on hardcore servers even though I like seeing my char sometimes. but that way I could let my girlfriend play the regular char and myself play hardcore and make sure she is not ruining my main char

• Like 1

I really don't care for FPS restricted servers so i play on 3rd person all the time. Honestly i don't see what the issue is just pay attention to your surroundings. You can avoid almost any situation FPS or 3rd if you just pay attention and don't rush things. Seriously having camera advantages in 3rd person can save your ass big time.

I don't think it's as easy as saying "Pay attention to your surroundings" when there are times you are literally incapable to knowing when a player is watching you and waiting to ambush you :/

I almost entirely play on first-person servers and I'm really glad you had fun switching over, I think most people who try it would find that it's a more tactical experience and enhances the fun overall. I know you're not saying you want third-person removed, but I want to say I don't, people who are happy with it should have the option available.

Right being this is a sandbox based survival game where your options to play style SHOULD NOT be limited.

It would be like telling some one who worships one faith they cant worship it and they have to conform to whatever the masses want them to because others view it to be unacceptable.

I don't think it's as easy as saying "Pay attention to your surroundings" when there are times you are literally incapable to knowing when a player is watching you and waiting to ambush you :/

Well that happens even when i play games like Nether where FPS is the ONLY option so its a risk ether way.

Well that happens even when i play games like Nether where FPS is the ONLY option so its a risk ether way.

Well I would argue that one involves an inherent skill or knowledge of the game and the other is just taking advantage of 3pp :P

i actually prefer 1st over 3rd person, but for some reason some games make me sick and dizzy after 45 minutes of playing.

Dayz is one of those games. maybe its because the avatar doesn`t move the way i input?

Well I would argue that one involves an inherent skill or knowledge of the game and the other is just taking advantage of 3pp :P

Again i come from games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill so i enjoy the option when it becomes available. But i enjoy skyrim FPS combat because its enjoyable and only use 3rd person when im riding a horse.

Yep 1st person only makes it an entirely different, better, and scarier game. When you come around a corner and a zombie or player is right in your face it actually makes you jump. Seeing said zombie or person around the corner 5 feet before you get there ruins the entire game ... and you don't see the person because they are corner camping like a scrub looking around the corner and kill you before you even see them.

I wish 3rd person had never been brought to any game ever other than ones that kinda need it like MMORPGs, dungeon crawlers, etc... It has no place in shooters or normal RPGs like Skyrim as it completely breaks immersion which is kinda the entire point of playing these games you're supposed to feel like you are the character not feel like you're controlling some pixels moving on your monitor.

Edited by Weedz

I can't play on 1PP servers for one reason;

Sometimes, and I don't know why, but my character gets stuck unable to run, just slow walk. The only way I've found that fixes it is if I go to 3rd person. Suddenly I'm able to run again.

It's weird because if I hit the 3rd person key I'll stay in 1st person, so I have to hit it again and THEN it goes to 3rd person and it fixes my run issue.

I haven't figured out why this happens, as I try tapping and double tapping every key on my keyboard to uun-stick my character from only being able to slooooowly walk, but so far going into 3rd person is the only way to fix it. And just to clarify, I can then switch back to 1st person and my character will still be able to walk / run / sprint. I don't have to remain a in 3rd person.

Edited by Demoth

Again i come from games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill so i enjoy the option when it becomes available. But i enjoy skyrim FPS combat because its enjoyable and only use 3rd person when im riding a horse.

Okay well that's a different argument altogether. I'm not saying 3pp is a bad thing at all. I'm simply saying that it's a bit far fetched to say that it's simply a matter of staying aware of your surroundings, because your surroundings typically have people behind them peeking over the walls in 3pp waiting to murder your face xD

Yep 1st person only makes it an entirely different, better, and scarier game. When you come around a corner and a zombie or player is right in your face it actually makes you jump. Seeing said zombie or person around the corner 5 feet before you get there ruins the entire game ... and you don't see the person because they are corner camping like a scrub looking around the corner and kill you before you even see them.

I wish 3rd person had never been brought to any game ever other than ones that kinda need it like MMORPGs, dungeon crawlers, etc... It has no place in shooters or normal RPGs like Skyrim as it completely breaks immersion which is kinda the entire point of playing these games you're supposed to feel like you are the character not feel like you're controlling some pixels moving on your monitor.

I disagree with you. Riding a horse is HELL in FPS in skyrim. Or even worse Oblivion FPS horse riding. 3rd person is beautiful in its own right anyways.

Edited by Deathlove

3rd makes firefights a joke

But its good if you need to make that quick run and gun without aiming down the sight of the FPS iron sight constantly though so it does have its uses. Trust me its going to save your ass when they add bigger zombie mobs.

I like using FPS for sniping with iron sights sometimes.

nope i ment everyone can see you, get aim on you or track you down without beeing abIe to detect from you. because hes behind a waII or corner and see whats behind by using 3rd.

in 1st onIy you have to stick your head around the corner to see whats behind. 

in 1st you dont have to aim down sights to run and gun. just hipfire Iike in 3rd. no probIem.

If you want somewhat fair and more reaIistic firefights you shouid pIay hardcore.

trust me im pIaying with this engine non stop since 2001. in pvp 3rd is no option. its for arma coop missions but it destroys fighting in pvp

Edited by Pain0815

nope i ment everyone can see you, get aim on you or track you down without beeing abIe to detect from you. because hes behind a waII or corner and see whats behind by using 3rd.

in 1st onIy you have to stick your head around the corner to see whats behind. 

in 1st you dont have to aim down sights to run and gun. just hipfire Iike in 3rd. no probIem.

If you want somewhat fair and more reaIistic firefights you shouid pIay hardcore.

trust me im pIaying with this engine non stop since 2001. in pvp 3rd is no option. its for arma coop missions but it destroys fighting in pvp

But not everyone cares for pvp lol.

the usual 1PP/3PP argument.

I play both, and I enjoy both. But there's a massive difference: 3PP gives you a "remote" feeling of your character. You somewhat care less what you make him/her do, and focus more on looking at the elevated panorama the 3PP camera allows you. 80% of the times there's no even a need to aim down the sights or to peak. You just move the camera around. You feel SAFER and you start disregarding cautiousness.

You basically miss out on HALF of the game experience.

1PP is just NATURAL. doesnt really need explaining, but ill do anyways. You naturally feel the need to move your head to look around, be more cautious and aware of your sorroundings, and take better cover. There's a thing called "lower weapon" with spacebar i believe, which allows you to not run with your sights up (not sure why youd keep your weapon up all the time). You generally feel less safe, and paranoid, and you really start wishing for a partner to check your back, because turning your head is effort that you dont always want or remember to accomplish.

Plus i dont get why some people hate 1PP so much. Most shooters are 1PP. THe name FPS itself means First Person. You only hate it because you've been spoilt with 3PP and going back to 1PP is like learning the game again. It actually takes skills. But, really, it doesnt. It's a matter of common sense. In reality, you wouldnt just run around a corner if you expected danger. You'd carefully peak around.

If and when we get proper character movement, 1PP will (it already is) be the way to go.

But not everyone cares for pvp lol.

i dont care what you or others care.

it comes to pvp on 1st and 3rd servers and you can do nothing against it.

so your point is not vaIid

Dean should ditch the 3rd person completely... that's my opinion.

This way they can focus completely on providing the best possible First-Person experience. 

DayZ is about realism... that's the first and major reason for 3rd person to be removed.

There are many other reasons, like better immersion or reduce of abusement (watch above walls, around corners etc.).

I will not play on regular/veteran because I just cant stand 3rd person and the problems that come with it.

Edited by YassirX

3rd person is for bads who can't play properly, plain and simple.   It's been proven countless times that 3rd person give you a clear advantage over those who play 1st person only.  Continue being bads, it doesn't bother me cuz I will still kill you.