rocket

Servers with connection issues to central hive

Rocket have you guys considered about adding @dayzdevteam twitter feed and patch changelogs to main menu of DayZ to avoid all misunderstandings. There is a lot of people who dont use twitter and it would lighten your workload.

EDIT: I understand its not your priority #1 atm.

Edited by drouz

thats good and will help , will this include all the time my server has had this issue intermittently before the patch ? as my server as always suffered from fresh spawning people for no reason from time to time .

And please explain why my server has NOT been taken offline , yes im unable to restart the server but it is still online and people are playing on it and im still able to join it ?

this is very worrying , does this mean my server is not being fixed ? but every bodys ell's is ?

thx

It has not been necessary to stop the servers as previously thought.  We will re-add the ability to restart shortly.  You should notice that character saving is working now.

The credit will not be for things PRIOR to the patch.  Intermittent issues are expected during an alpha phase product.  This issue, given its consistent nature is something we will credit for in this case.  It will be automatic, so you won't have to do anything.

• Like 2

It has not been necessary to stop the servers as previously thought.  We will re-add the ability to restart shortly.  You should notice that character saving is working now.

The credit will not be for things PRIOR to the patch.  Intermittent issues are expected during an alpha phase product.  This issue, given its consistent nature is something we will credit for in this case.  It will be automatic, so you won't have to do anything.

I do not own a server,

But it is rare that ive seen a server hosting service team up with a developer to get something sorted out this quickly..... 

It was rather impressive on your part too that you came to the forums to keep the community informed! 

Thanks Leviathan and Rocket..... i hope this issue doesnt pop up again in the future (because others obviously will.. and dealing with a resurrected issue is always a bummer)

Again thanks for the relatively quick fix after the problem was identified! 

• Like 3

Im not addressing this directly to Rocket, but, whenever I join a 24/7 Day server, it is never day. I don't know if the server is messed, or my client is messed, but I haven't been on a day server in more than a week.

I just look at the "time" column, and so far, if it's daylight where I live at that time, it's daylight on the server too.

I love the game. I played A lot of the mod. Keep up the fantastic work. Wish I could do what you guys do. New patch work great. Not a lot of issues. Still some elastic banding but nothing serious. Night time is a little dark. And the server thing was kinda pain but I managed to figure it out on my own. So please keep up the absolute fantastic work guy's we all love you for it and appreciate all the time and effort you guy's spend in trying to work on the game and answer as many question's as you can. I have been thinking about going in to schooling to be a computer graphic designer. Any tips or suggestions?    

So Tanks everyone for clearing Thinges up a bit. I just want to Share my experience yesterday, als I treulos Hope there is Not ansteht issue ging on.

I was trying to play with a buddy yesterday, but whenever I joined his server, my char was reset and spawning on the coast and when he joined my working server his char was reset. Before we were both playing regular mode on the same server.

How can this issue be explained with the "some servers were not possible to connect to master DB" explanation? I think this more looks like 2 separated shards for the same type of players and game ... Right?

I just look at the "time" column, and so far, if it's daylight where I live at that time, it's daylight on the server too.

Yeah, i just realized that, i thought it meant server uptime, like how long its been on since restart. silly me :D

I lost my third character today.. Im bored of that ;\. I understand that this is alpha but it didnt happen before patch. Everytime i'll enter the server (same as it was when I was developing my character) its gone + lower loot everywhere = game becomes veery annoying. 

i can confirm gameservers.com the server i reported on page 4 appeared to save my character and i had loot from yesterday, but after leaving the server and coming back i lost my gear also 3 other clan mates the same thing still loose gear went to different provider mpgs.co game server and we got our gear but for 1 guy it is night and the rest of us it is day.

so gameservers.com is still not saving or loading gear 

Edited by pgmoney

Hi Rocket, is there any update on why items aren't going into my inventory for about 5 minutes? and also, if i empty a clip that is on the ground does that lose the ammo or does it just take a while to spawn? thanks.

Hi Rocket, is there any update on why items aren't going into my inventory for about 5 minutes? and also, if i empty a clip that is on the ground does that lose the ammo or does it just take a while to spawn? thanks.

This sounds like your not in sync with the server properly, I have had times where I pick stuff up but it take a while to do it.  Usually that is server related, if it is happening on all servers then something if off.

From what I understand, and I might be vastly oversimplifying the issue here, is that big problem related to the complex way the database (which is a cluster) is load-balanced, authorized, and then communicated with different servers. Our central server conducts loadbalancing to ensure it can handle thousands of requests a second. It also checks to see if it is dealing with an authorized server. Every maintenance we further improve this.

The main issue that remained until very recently related to providers who have very large numbers of IP's. All the IP ranges needed to be whitelisted, as DayZ server doesn't have the ability to be bound to a specific IP directly (it requires it's box to do that for it). Outside of the USA, IP's can be quite hard to come by and so most aren't used to having a great deal around. Thanks to a very tough effort involving the central server hosters, the game server providers that were having problems, and our tech staff - the problem was solved. We simply whitelisted as many of the floating IP's as were required to authorize the servers.

The issue brings up important considerations for us around how to deal with US hosters who might have a large pool of IP's, and how that affects us in terms of managing them, and in terms of our whitelisting process. Above all, it highlights just how complex the environment is that dayz is currently operating in. It's really like running a large MMO but distributed amongst a bunch of different hosters. For this reason, I certainly feel a great deal of sympathy with server hosters as it is not an easy environment to operate in. They are probably hoping that longterm they can make money but I would doubt many of them are making much money right now.

It's really great the issue was solved, and it also looks like the database maintenance that occurred today has also had a positive effect on the whole situation.

• Like 6

From what I understand, and I might be vastly oversimplifying the issue here, is that big problem related to the complex way the database (which is a cluster) is load-balanced, authorized, and then communicated with different servers. Our central server conducts loadbalancing to ensure it can handle thousands of requests a second. It also checks to see if it is dealing with an authorized server. Every maintenance we further improve this.

The main issue that remained until very recently related to providers who have very large numbers of IP's. All the IP ranges needed to be whitelisted, as DayZ server doesn't have the ability to be bound to a specific IP directly (it requires it's box to do that for it). Outside of the USA, IP's can be quite hard to come by and so most aren't used to having a great deal around. Thanks to a very tough effort involving the central server hosters, the game server providers that were having problems, and our tech staff - the problem was solved. We simply whitelisted as many of the floating IP's as were required to authorize the servers.

The issue brings up important considerations for us around how to deal with US hosters who might have a large pool of IP's, and how that affects us in terms of managing them, and in terms of our whitelisting process. Above all, it highlights just how complex the environment is that dayz is currently operating in. It's really like running a large MMO but distributed amongst a bunch of different hosters. For this reason, I certainly feel a great deal of sympathy with server hosters as it is not an easy environment to operate in. They are probably hoping that longterm they can make money but I would doubt many of them are making much money right now.

It's really great the issue was solved, and it also looks like the database maintenance that occurred today has also had a positive effect on the whole situation.

Yeah. I understand some of those words. Well done!

Hey

Should the re-spawning of characters on every log on issue be fixed by now or should we still provide IP's?

I'm still having the issue with all the South African servers

thanks

Well I was on a server with 2 friends just now, the server loaded our players but when we rejoined after a server restart, we were reset. The explanation here doesn't fit with the problem. We joined and were not reset, so the server must have had a connection to the database at that time, the server restarted and we rejoined the same server, we had been on prior and lost our characters, so the server had lost it's connection. This has happened multiple times to me since the patch. So if the only issue is certain servers can't connect to the hive, this would not have happened.

I now live in fear of server restarts, as I have been reset this way many times, not just when changing servers.

Hey

Should the re-spawning of characters on every log on issue be fixed by now or should we still provide IP's?

I'm still having the issue with all the South African servers

thanks

Roger, I'll pass that on to Brian and try and find out

I started playing right after your hive maintenance, ran for a good four hours on multiple servers. Mind you before the maintenance I had a gear character on hardcore, came back no character. Went to make breakfast, came back to the same server I was playing on Character Reset again. Is there gonna be a set time that this problem may be resolved so that myself and other gamer's do not have to start over every time we re-log or change servers. Now don't get me wrong I understand that this is an Alpha game, as well as a huge patch and update within the week. Myself and many many others would like to know if this bug/issue is at least a work in progress or at least someone to give clarity as to why they keep resetting. This is also just happening to me on hardcore servers. My Soft Core is still available. My soft core keeps getting rolled back to a old marker I move him and check when my other character disappears and he is back when the same spot before the patch. My thought is that both hives keep getting reset to a start date and that is all that needs to change. Any info is good info in my book I appreciate the time and hard work it took to get the game as far as it is today and will continue to survive through the rough times to get to the better times. BTW this is on all the US-west East Central TX  Cali and general us hardcore servers I had one character test as many hard core servers as possible the character  lasted 4 hours before being reset.

Edited by Ryezing

Well I was on a server with 2 friends just now, the server loaded our players but when we rejoined after a server restart, we were reset. The explanation here doesn't fit with the problem. We joined and were not reset, so the server must have had a connection to the database at that time, the server restarted and we rejoined the same server, we had been on prior and lost our characters, so the server had lost it's connection. This has happened multiple times to me since the patch. So if the only issue is certain servers can't connect to the hive, this would not have happened.

I now live in fear of server restarts, as I have been reset this way many times, not just when changing servers.

Really need to know provider, and IP. Certainly we have verified that the core servers that we run perform normally (not a single ticket raised for those servers) - therefore problem servers have to be manually checked by us then we need to contact the provider and work with them to find the solution.

We are going to build in a check into the server that will stop the server running if it cannot get an authorized connection through to the central server.

• Like 1

Its most likely just your internet connection to the server base that is bad, choose a server closest to your area. Also, when you empty a clip/mag onto the ground, you don't lose the ammo forever, the amount you dropped is on the ground. But yeah, don't download anything while on DayZ, it severely affects gameplay, at least for me, your probably going through some packet loss when you try to pick up or set down items. :)

Why not store your character data locally? Wouldnt this solve everything and not have to go through the hassle of checking every server or connect to the hive to get character data? How complex can character data be? Your status and item data thats it. Why not store it locally and have the server load whatever character is saved locally on your PC???

Its most likely just your internet connection to the server base that is bad, choose a server closest to your area. Also, when you empty a clip/mag onto the ground, you don't lose the ammo forever, the amount you dropped is on the ground. But yeah, don't download anything while on DayZ, it severely affects gameplay, at least for me, your probably going through some packet loss when you try to pick up or set down items. :)

Btw, I'd explain how packet loss works, but some people don't understand.  :P

Why not store your character data locally? Wouldnt this solve everything and not have to go through the hassle of checking every server or connect to the hive to get character data? How complex can character data be? Your status and item data thats it. Why not store it locally and have the server load whatever character is saved locally on your PC???

The problem with that being, if you stored it locally, its only guaranteed that someone with coding experience would design a program to access the save files to be able to edit the inventory. Saving characters on their network is a very secure way to store it, as whoever would try to access their mainframe would be arrested because its against federal law.

Really need to know provider, and IP. Certainly we have verified that the core servers that we run perform normally (not a single ticket raised for those servers) - therefore problem servers have to be manually checked by us then we need to contact the provider and work with them to find the solution.

We are going to build in a check into the server that will stop the server running if it cannot get an authorized connection through to the central server.

Can we get a list of IP's For the core servers that are stable to play on? So we do not have to fear or loath another reset?

Can we get a list of IP's For the core servers that are stable to play on? So we do not have to fear or loath another reset?

That would take wayyyyy too long, just filter through the servers that say Hardcore, Experimental or Testing

wow really love the new update the great you Dayz staff you all are amazing 

• Like 1